D23 EXPO THREAD - See you in 2019!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working on my plans:

Friday just became my shopping at Dream Store/Mickey's of Glendale/ Disney Store and expo floor day. My husband wants me to check out the Star Wars section for him but I don't know if I'll have time. LOL I wanted to go to the Ink and Paint Panel so maybe I'll squeak in on that but it's fine if I can't. Melodies in Walts Time would also be great but I'll only go if I don't have to wait in hours and hours long line.

Saturday - I really wanted to do the Princess Panel but Parks and Resorts is my number one thing for the day so I guess I won't be doing the Princess Panel and will be in line most of the day for Parks and Resorts since I know it will be crazy crowded. Maybe hit the expo floor after Parks and Resorts is done.

Sunday - Alan Menken is my number one thing but I'd love to go to the Hercules Panel too. But if I go to that, I may or may not make the Alan Menken concert and no way will I miss that.

Plus I want to head back to the Disney Store/Expo Floor for final stuff on Sunday. So for Sunday I'm thinking of getting in line for the 1:30p Alan Menken concert, then spend some time on the Expo Floor/Disney Store area and maybe squeeze in 6pm Legends of Disney Imagineering if I can.

So many wonderful panels - they could add a day and I'd be thrilled.

Since I want to see most things...I think maybe a good strategy is to go through each day and pick out 4 panels. Separate them into Top 2 and Bottom 2, then look at the times.

So for Friday my Top 2 are: Park Stars and Animation Studios. Bottom 2 are: Pirates, Golden Girls and Disney Legends 30th Anniversary in that order (yeah I've already broken my rule and picked 3 for the bottom). I suppose this works? I can see both Park Stars and Animation. Though if I skipped Animation I might be able to see 2 of the 3. Though Pirates would be a very close number 3. So not sure what to do.

Saturday Top 2: Live Action and Power of the Princess. Bottom 2: Duck Tales and Parks/Resorts. So that really doesn't work, the first 2 conflict. Parks and Resorts was one of my top picks going into this but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't skip it.

Sunday Top 2: Alan Menken then a jumble of ones at bottom 2: Hercules, Tangled, Women of Imagineering, Voices of Disney Parks, Legends of Walt Disney Imagineering.

Ugh, my plan didn't really work at all.

My plan so far.

Friday:
Melodies in Walt's Time
Maybe Ink and Paint
Shopping/Expo floor time

Saturday:
The Power of the Princess
Parks and Resorts

Sunday (what a mess):
Inspiring Women of Imagineering
Voices of the Disney Parks
Alan Menken
Legends of Walt Disney Imagineering

Obviously Sunday will not work. Will probably have to drop Legends of Imagineering since I saw them at 60 years of imagineering last time.

There's a few too many "to be announced" for my comfort. I'm sure other great things will be announced.

Just booked my dining for the Disneyland/DCA portion of my trip. I'm planning on Carthay Circle World of Color Dining Package one day - I'm hoping there isn't a dress code for lunch since I'll be in shorts and either a tank top or T-shirt - anyone know?

I'm hoping I won't be too tired on July 14th to enjoy Naples since that day is my birthday and I wanted some pizza and maybe do some shopping at DTD that evening.

Speaking of food - I'm guessing I won't be able to bring in a sandwich in my backpack for the Expo? I noticed it said no outside food - I figured snacks and water and maybe a diet coke are ok but sandwiches aren't? I don't want to get out of line for food - especially on Saturday when I'll be in line most of the day for the Parks and Resorts panel.
I was hoping to avoid the annoying long lines at the food trucks that I remember from the Robotics World Competition - even the Hilton Food Court was insane.

And the hunt is on for a portable stool with 4 legs for sitting on in lines. I've given up on 3 leg stools after constantly falling off those.
I want it to fit in my backpack. Anyone have a favorite brand? There are tons on Amazon.

I always take in snacks and a refillable water bottle. I don't take a ton of food, like in a cooler or anything, but I have to eat a healthy snack every couple of hours, and there isn't always time to buy anything.

I'm kind of overwhelmed by the schedule right now. I think I need to print it out and highlight it. I'm old school like that!

Hello all! Just signed up after being directed here from reddit. Glad to find a dedicated space to talk about the expo, I'm so excited!

After reading the comments from others, seems like my SO and I were badly underprepared for the last expo. Will learn from our mistakes and make sure this year goes smoother for us. Glad to have bought a 3-day pass this time, as I only got Saturday passes last time.

So what does it mean when cell phones/recording devices will be checked before the Live Action panel? This is the first time i'm seriously considering getting there early for a spot and was curious what that meant.

So what does it mean when cell phones/recording devices will be checked before the Live Action panel? This is the first time i'm seriously considering getting there early for a spot and was curious what that meant.

They don't allow any cell phones or recording devices in the room at all. What they are showing is for D23 eyes only and they don't want the footage being put on the internet. I think last year they did loud crinkly bags instead of checking things.

Yes, today's announcement definitely complicated matters. Golden Girls is suddenly my top pick for the Expo, followed by Parks and Resorts.

If anyone is looking at the full schedule layout on d23expo.com, they have indicated how many more panels are left to be announced:

D23 Expo Arena - 5 TBA (one Friday, four Saturday)
Stage 28 - 2 TBA (two Sunday)
Archives Stage - 2 TBA (one Friday, one Saturday)

Yes, today's announcement definitely complicated matters. Golden Girls is suddenly my top pick for the Expo, followed by Parks and Resorts.

If anyone is looking at the full schedule layout on d23expo.com, they have indicated how many more panels are left to be announced:

D23 Expo Arena - 5 TBA (one Friday, four Saturday)
Stage 28 - 2 TBA (two Sunday)
Archives Stage - 2 TBA (one Friday, one Saturday)

This is why Saturday wasn't bothering me yet. There are still four to be announced. I'll just wait for more heartbreak right here.

Does anyone know what the D23 Expo Arena is? Is it stage 23 from last year?

They don't allow any cell phones or recording devices in the room at all. What they are showing is for D23 eyes only and they don't want the footage being put on the internet. I think last year they did loud crinkly bags instead of checking things.

Right, I understand they don't want the footage leaked. Is it as in you check in your devices somewhere and pick them up after the panel?

Right, I understand they don't want the footage leaked. Is it as in you check in your devices somewhere and pick them up after the panel?

I've never done one of the panels where they don't allow devices in, but if I remember correctly, they did checking and picking up after in 2013. In 2015 they handed you a loud crinkly bag to put your stuff in so they could hear if you tried to take it out to record, but you kept it with you.

I find the Snow White screening really random. Normally I love to watch a classic on the big screen but why would I choose this over a panel?

I find the Snow White screening really random. Normally I love to watch a classic on the big screen but why would I choose this over a panel?

Well, by Sunday, some folks are "paneled out," so to speak. Also, not everyone has had the privilege of seeing this classic (and absolute jewel in the Disney canon) on a big screen with a live audience. And some people really want to do this with their kids. At least in the greater L.A. area, there is a chance of a classic movie theater showing this or the El Capitan doing a Throwback Thursday. But for people who don't live where these things are common, a screening at the Expo might be something special. It's fine if you don't care for it -- just think of all the people attending the screening who won't be in line for the other panels. :)

Well, by Sunday, some folks are "paneled out," so to speak. Also, not everyone has had the privilege of seeing this classic (and absolute jewel in the Disney canon) on a big screen with a live audience. And some people really want to do this with their kids. At least in the greater L.A. area, there is a chance of a classic movie theater showing this or the El Capitan doing a Throwback Thursday. But for people who don't live where these things are common, a screening at the Expo might be something special. It's fine if you don't care for it -- just think of all the people attending the screening who won't be in line for the other panels. :)

True! One of our cinemas in Perth, Australia does annual Disney Princess Film Festivals for half the price of a normal ticket (cause it's 'old') and those are awesome to see. I wish they did non-princess movies too.
I'll take those shorter queues!

Facebook group "D23 Members, Expo Fans and Attendees" posted this:
D23 was nice enough to share the 2017 D23 Expo StagePass information with us. StagePass availability is limited. Per D23:

STAGEPASS TICKETS
Back by popular demand, a limited number of StagePass tickets are available, at no additional charge, to guarantee seating at select sessions at D23 Expo Arena, Stage 28, and the Walt Disney Archives Stage. There will be standby queues at all stages should you not receive a StagePass for a session.

How Does StagePass Work?
• To receive a StagePass please visit the StagePass Distribution Center located in Hall A.
• Select which session you wish to attend for the time block. Also select an alternate session in case tickets for your desired session are no longer available when you reach the ticket booth.
• Present your D23 Expo admission ticket to receive one StagePass ticket for your selected session.
• Arrive at the venue by 15 minutes prior to the start of the show with your StagePass ticket. If you do not arrive by this time, your seat will be filled by standby Guests.

StagePass tickets will be distributed according to the schedule on the right.

Reminders
• StagePass is not available for sessions taking place in Hall D23.
• Only one StagePass ticket can be issued per time block per Guest.
• Seating is filled on a first-come, first-served basis. StagePass tickets are not assigned to a specific seat.

StagePass Distribution Hours:
Sessions starting prior to 11 a.m. - Not Available (Proceed to stage.)
Sessions starting from 11 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. - Distribution starts at 9 a.m. (Until ticket inventory is depleted.)
Sessions starting at 3 p.m. & later:- Distribution starts at 12:30 p.m. (Until ticket inventory is depleted.)

HALL D23
The Hall D23 queue is located in Hall E at the south end of the convention center. To attend the presentations in Hall D23, enter through the main lobby and follow signs and event staff directions to the queue in Hall E. Recording devices will not be allowed at select Hall D23 presentations. An option to secure your camera or smart phone will be available for those presentations. Please check D23Expo.com or the D23 Expo mobile app for the most up-to-date information. The D23 Expo mobile app will be available just before the Expo in the iTunes and Google Play Stores.

Facebook Group "D23 Members, Expo Fans and Attendees" also posted the below on security, entrance locations, and advance/overnight queuing:

D23 was nice enough to share the 2017 D23 Expo Entrance Locations, Advance Lineup procedures, and new Security Policy with us to pass on to you! Please note that this year's D23 Expo will in fact have a security screening policy with bag check and metal detectors so please make sure you take this into account when packing your bag and designing your costumes!

SECURITY CONSIDERATION
To ensure the safety of event attendees, all Guests will be required to go through a security screening process at the entrance of the event, including bag check and metal detection. Please allow ample time when planning your arrival.

ENTRANCE LOCATIONS
Entry for the Show Floor and all stages is through the Anaheim Convention Center lobby. Upon arrival, follow signs and event staff directions for entry.

ADVANCE LINEUPS
Advance lineups for access to the Show Floor and Hall D23 (all Guests) will take place the evening prior to Friday, July 14 and Saturday, July 15. No overnight lineups will take place the evening prior to Sunday, July 16.
For Friday, July 14, lineups will begin on Thursday, July 13 at 10 p.m. For Saturday, July 15, lineups will begin on Friday, July 14 at 10 p.m. Upon arrival at the Anaheim Convention Center, please refer to signs and event staff members to direct you to the correct entrance for overnight or early morning queues.
For Sunday, July 16, the Show Floor and Hall D23 lineups will begin no earlier than 6 a.m. at the Grand Plaza area of the Anaheim Convention Center. To attend the presentations in Hall D23, enter through the main lobby and follow signs and event staff directions to the queue in Hall E.
Please do not bring anything that cannot easily be stored in a backpack or smaller-size bag since there is no place to store/check items until the Show Floor opens. Please do not leave items unattended. A concession stand offering a limited menu will be open in Hall E for your convenience. No re-entry is allowed, and all members of your party must be present (no holding space in line for others to join later).

HALL D23
The Hall D23 queue is located in Hall E at the south end of the convention center. To attend the presentations in Hall D23, enter through the main lobby and follow signs and event staff directions to the queue in Hall E. Recording devices will not be allowed at select Hall D23 presentations. An option to secure your camera or smart phone will be available for those presentations. Please check D23Expo.com or the D23 Expo mobile app for the most up-to-date information. The D23 Expo mobile app will be available just before the Expo in the iTunes and Google Play Stores.

PARKING
Public parking is available at the Anaheim Convention Center for a nominal fee. Please allow ample time for parking, as some lots may be off site and will have shuttle service to convention center entrance.
Note: Overnight parking is prohibited at the Anaheim Convention Center.

Full schedule (that we have at this point) is up on the website! I'm sure this will change and things will be added, but information seems to be coming at a quick pace these days.

https://d23.com/d23-expo-2017-friday-july-14/

I just noticed - there is no Stage 23 this year, only Stage 28. Is the D23 Expo Arena the same thing as the old stage 23?
I looked and looked and looked for a schedule like this on the D23 website and could not find it. Thanks for the link. :)

:wizard:

What that meant at D23 Expo 2015 is they give everyone an opaque bag with a strong seal on it and ask you to put recording devices in it, and seal it before you enter the Hall. Then during the event there are lots of security people walking around looking to see if anyone has pulled anything out. If so, then you will be removed. Not sure what else happens to you.

I did this three times for Animated movies, Live action movies and Parks & Resorts.

:wizard:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter