D.O.C.'s = Dis'ers of Color (Disney Fans of Color)

Would you like a dedicated/featured Forum for D.O.C.'s Dis'ers Of Color & Allies

• Total voters
Just popping in to say it's a very good day for justice in this country.

I felt sick to my stomach waiting for the verdict. It's really sad that we all questioned that the right outcome would happen. The worst part is that celebrating or the small victory was cut short as another person of color lost their life at the hands of police. The only thing that makes me hopeful that they'll maybe think twice before reaching for their gun is that one of them was finally held accountable, that they're not above the law and that better training will start happening. I'm not that naïve to think it's going to happen over night or that this verdict changes everything, but it's something.

On Wednesday, Howard University announced that it has named its newly reestablished College of Fine Arts after one of its most famous alumni: the late actor Chadwick Boseman.

Earlier this month, Howard actor and alumnus Phylicia Rashad as the dean of the fine arts school.

Boseman was a proud Howard alumnus, and was the university's commencement speaker in 2018. Privately, he was already battling colon cancer. He died last August at age 43.

"When you are deciding on next steps, next jobs, next careers, further education, you should rather find purpose than a job or a career," he told the graduating students. "Purpose crosses disciplines. Purpose is an essential element of you. It is the reason you are on the planet at this particular time in history."

Your AKL Ranger,
keeping Jambo House safe from poachers 🦁 🇰🇪 🦓

View attachment 577745
On Wednesday, Howard University announced that it has named its newly reestablished College of Fine Arts after one of its most famous alumni: the late actor Chadwick Boseman.

Earlier this month, Howard actor and alumnus Phylicia Rashad as the dean of the fine arts school.

Boseman was a proud Howard alumnus, and was the university's commencement speaker in 2018. Privately, he was already battling colon cancer. He died last August at age 43.

"When you are deciding on next steps, next jobs, next careers, further education, you should rather find purpose than a job or a career," he told the graduating students. "Purpose crosses disciplines. Purpose is an essential element of you. It is the reason you are on the planet at this particular time in history."

Your AKL Ranger,
keeping Jambo House safe from poachers 🦁 🇰🇪 🦓

What a beautiful honor. I miss Chad so much.

Instead of reading, consider the value of lived experience. Those who have been subject to systemic racism can speak most directly to its existence. We can learn innumerable lessons from those who live in it on a day-to-day basis. We don't need to confirm, deny, approve, disapprove. Simply listen. Listen and thereby, Learn. :cutie:
Well said. Having grown up (and old) as a white male there is no way I can understand what some people have had to live with all their lives. I can only read historic accounts - and hope that they themselves have not been skewed.

To bring things back on topic...I wanted to check back in now that I’m back from my trip, because a while back I had talked about being worried about the GF, after seeing a vlogger of color have a bad experience there. I am thrilled to say my experience there was 100% positive, from CMs to other guests. I did have one lookie loo guest gawking at me in my cabana, but aside from him it was overwhelmingly positive. I had so many wonderful conversations with other guests and cast of all persuasions. Cast in general there were truly a step above...I really did feel like a princess there because of it. Not only was I made to feel welcome but I got so much pixie dust it was unreal. There were even two important looking gentlemen in suits that stopped by my cabana to thank me for celebrating my birthday there (I was given a giant banner for it even!), and asked what I thought of the resort and to let them know if I needed anything. I wore a Tiana outfit for my birthday (with an actual tiara, because I’m extra like that), and I got so many compliments. It was just such a magical time, I didn’t want to leave. The only reason I can’t say it was a perfect trip was because my gf couldn’t come, but she’ll be able to make our October trip after all.

To bring things back on topic...I wanted to check back in now that I’m back from my trip, because a while back I had talked about being worried about the GF, after seeing a vlogger of color have a bad experience there. I am thrilled to say my experience there was 100% positive, from CMs to other guests. I did have one lookie loo guest gawking at me in my cabana, but aside from him it was overwhelmingly positive. I had so many wonderful conversations with other guests and cast of all persuasions. Cast in general there were truly a step above...I really did feel like a princess there because of it. Not only was I made to feel welcome but I got so much pixie dust it was unreal. There were even two important looking gentlemen in suits that stopped by my cabana to thank me for celebrating my birthday there (I was given a giant banner for it even!), and asked what I thought of the resort and to let them know if I needed anything. I wore a Tiana outfit for my birthday (with an actual tiara, because I’m extra like that), and I got so many compliments. It was just such a magical time, I didn’t want to leave. The only reason I can’t say it was a perfect trip was because my gf couldn’t come, but she’ll be able to make our October trip after all.
Happy belated birthday! Sounds like you had a great experience, which is awesome to hear. I think I might be convinced to try the GF after the poly stay I've been not-so-patiently waiting for :)

So, just as an FYI, I decided to start a new Instagram account to highlight Black and Brown Instagrammers while they live their best and most magical lives while in Disney Parks.

Reflecting on Juneteenth becoming a federal holiday, I decided that I want to see more representation of Black people who are enjoying their times in the parks. It does my heart good to go in a Disney park and see plenty of people around who look like me just having fun with their friends and families. I think this would be a great place to highlight and give visibility to those of us who have Disney IG accounts (or not, but still posts about it quite a bit).

You can follow the page at @BlackFolksAtDisney

So glad you got to have a wonderful time staying at the Grand!

One day I hope to have the coins to allow myself to stay on the Monorail Loop. (Though, my preference would be for the Polynesian over the Grand! ;)) Until then, It's the Pop for me!

So glad you got to have a wonderful time staying at the Grand!

One day I hope to have the coins to allow myself to stay on the Monorail Loop. (Though, my preference would be for the Polynesian over the Grand! ;)) Until then, It's the Pop for me!

The Poly is still my favorite resort and I can't wait to be back there in October; for me and my gf that is "our place". But the GF is a strong #2, lol. I did visit the Poly this trip but with the construction and the hotel side closed it felt very strange. Not the same lively energy and they didn't even have the smell in the lobby. I was kinda glad I didn't opt to stay in the DVC section and went to GF instead. They are both very nice resorts though and the cool thing is it's very easy to visit one when staying at the other since they're right next door to each other.

The Poly is still my favorite resort and I can't wait to be back there in October; for me and my gf that is "our place". But the GF is a strong #2, lol. I did visit the Poly this trip but with the construction and the hotel side closed it felt very strange. Not the same lively energy and they didn't even have the smell in the lobby. I was kinda glad I didn't opt to stay in the DVC section and went to GF instead. They are both very nice resorts though and the cool thing is it's very easy to visit one when staying at the other since they're right next door to each other.

Ohmygoodness. What did the lobby smell like?!?

Hi, I'm late to this thread but would like to participate as an ally.

I am white, but I wear a hijab and long dresses (I'm Muslim) so I know a bit about getting stared at in majority-white spaces (but nowhere near what Disney fans of color experience, I'm sure). I'd like to be a part of making sure Disney Parks are welcoming places for all.

I've been present at some of the BLM rallies in Dallas like those for Bothan Jean and George Floyd.
I'm currently visiting Minneapolis and was grateful to be able to be outside the courthouse yesterday for Derek Chavin's sentencing to listen to and show support to Floyd's family.

I'd be happy to participate in a DOS forum as an ally/listener/learner.

PS - @TresGriffen I love the idea of the Instagram account and will definitely follow. pps. my name is Jessi on the DIS chateratti

So, I'm not sure if this has been discussed on here yet, but . . . what are people's thoughts on Hoop Dee Doo Musical Review? I feel as though this shut down would have been a prime time to re-write some of the more culturally offensive parts of the script. I would love to see the show live, but absolutely can't take my Indigenous children to see this in it's current iteration.

So, I'm not sure if this has been discussed on here yet, but . . . what are people's thoughts on Hoop Dee Doo Musical Review? I feel as though this shut down would have been a prime time to re-write some of the more culturally offensive parts of the script. I would love to see the show live, but absolutely can't take my Indigenous children to see this in it's current iteration.
View attachment 585575

I looked into it exactly once, saw that crap on YouTube, and took a hard pass. It is very much a product of the early 70s and I absolutely shed no tears if it never comes back.

View attachment 585575
Great show, absolutely love it. Last time there my wife was picked out of the audience to go on stage. I can remember Pete and the gang went to see it and raved about it on the show. They thought it was the best show in all of Disney World. I tend to agree.

View attachment 585575

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I think the only people who can rightfully speak to this are indigenous, and I hope that Disney will listen to you and take your feedback seriously.

View attachment 585575
I looked into it exactly once, saw that crap on YouTube, and took a hard pass. It is very much a product of the early 70s and I absolutely shed no tears if it never comes back.
As an ally, thanks for pointing this out. I've seen reviews written on this from years ago and I bet many of those people would be empathetic to changing those as we all reflect, educate and try to do better together. Personally, I won't take my children until it is at least restructured or updated now.

I'm so glad literally every single post on this thread since you wrote this has done a great job of recognizing the importance of listening, growth and change :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter