Curious about others thoughts on the "Fairness" of the ADR system

Status
Not open for further replies.

DISNEYFOS

DIS Veteran
I don't mean to stir any pots or anything...I'm just curious how others feel about the ADR process.

I started thinking about this as I was helping friends plan for their first trip.

They were somewhat surprised about the need to make ADRs this far out and were a bit overwhelmed about having to determine where they wanted to eat each night on their trip.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that might not be aware of how difficult it can be to have a sit down dinner if you don't have ADRs. I've been turned away (or seen others turned away) before at various places being told we can't seat you unless you have an ADR. So i'm a bit obsessive of making ADRs for each night to the annoyance of my "fly by the seat of his pants" DH

I know a lot of people "in the know" make multiple ADRs for different places each night with the expectation of canceling (or not) based on what they want to do that night.

As more people use this Multiple ADR strategy to keep flexible, do you think Disney will start to limit the ability to do that? In order to open up TS opportunities for just the non-obsessive planning :rotfl: average visitor?

Just curious how others felt about it?

I personally think it will stay the same. There are certain restaurants that DH and I HAVE to go to and we make our ADRs 180 days in advance(except for our upcoming free dining trip that we booked 140 days out.) I'm not sure what to say about not knowing you should book 180 days out, the only reason I know is because I have been an obsesive planner since age 7 so I knew from my parents. Also in all of the guide books and even on Disneyworld.com they say they recommend you making dining reservations 180 days out.

I also don't want to start a ruckis(sp?) I am just stating my opinion.

I can't imagine a system that is more fair than the current one. Whoever calls first gets the reservation.

I know a lot of people "in the know" make multiple ADRs for different places each night with the expectation of canceling (or not) based on what they want to do that night.

As more people use this Multiple ADR strategy to keep flexible, do you think Disney will start to limit the ability to do that? In order to open up TS opportunities for just the non-obsessive planning :rotfl: average visitor?

Do you mean people make multiple ADRs for different places on the SAME night? If so, my understanding is that Disney is already cracking down on this in that they will cancel out ADRs if you book 2 different TS for the same meal.

Do you mean people make multiple ADRs for different places on the SAME night? If so, my understanding is that Disney is already cracking down on this in that they will cancel out ADRs if you book 2 different TS for the same meal.

that was my understanding as well.

we changed our ressies to a week earlier, and made sure we cancelled all of our previous ADR's. I think this is what causes part of teh problem. ppl move their trip and then do not bother to cancel their first set of ADrs. so no one shows up for the meal, while some other family is turned away b/c the restaurant is "full"

Currently, you do have to call at 180 days out for the popular places. But this is what we do and we actually like it. We go to the non popular places. We go to the resort restaurants. And we've had great meals.

On mouseplanet, there was an article about what someone else would do to "fix" Disney World. One suggestion dealt with dining reservations. Changing them to 60 days out. And tied into your resort reservations (they currently aren't). So if you make multiple reservations for around the same time on the same day, one or more would get canceled (I'd like all of them to be canceled but that's me). For off site guests, the reservation would need a credit card number to be assigned. And a fee charged if you don't cancel or show up.

We don't know what park we're going to be at every day. But we have always been able to get a reservation at wherever we are going to be that day. Just not at the popular ones. No biggy for us.

Not to sound mean or step on any toes...but I think the system is totally fair.I do understand that new visitors are not aware about the necessity of ressies and all, but if you are paying $1000+ to come to Disney it may be prudent to actually do a little research.Most people research any major purchase.Why should a vacation be different?As for making multiple ressies, disney has been cracking down on this.yes many people still do it and get away with it.but there are people who have had theirs cancelled on them.IS it a pain to have to decide where to eat 6mos in advance? Maybe.but i would rather make a ressie,to have something.I can always call disney dining each morning of my trip to find something else if I choose.I think many people who have never been to WDW think of it like any other themepark and it isn't and does not work the way other themeparks do, and then they are shocked when they get there. :goodvibes

Just a couple of years ago it was 90 days in advance so I am glad they changed it to 180 days because now you have time to change things around if need be.

Also when I made my ADRs on the phone about a month ago the atomated system asked for my reservation number but the guy I talked to said it didn't matter. I too think they should enforce a reservation rule, because what if someone decides they are going to go to WDW and makes ADRs and hasn't actually booked a reservation yet and then they decide not to go and probably won't think of canceling their ADRs. ( I really don't think that makes sense but it does in my head).

I can't say that I feel it's unfair - I mean, anyone can call, and those that call first get what they want. That said, I think it TOTALLY STINKS that you need to figure out where you want to eat 6 months in advance. It was a total downer. In my opinion, Disney should only book half the restaurant capacity to allow for 50% walk-up, but given Disney is all about the bottom line, that will never happen.

I think the ADR system is very fair - first come, first served. It's just that with the popularity of the dining plans, the demand for seating at TS restaurants has really gone up so if there's somewhere you really want to go, you've got to plan ahead. That said, I've made ADRs in as little as two months and with the exception of LeCellier (couldn't get that at 180 days out), I've always gotten the ADR's I wanted.

The real problem I have is with guests making multiple ADRs. I know there is a lot of disagreement on the boards over this practice but I think that it's so selfish and rude of people to do this just so they can have their bases covered. I'm glad Disney is cracking down on it and I hope they continue.

IMO, as more and more people are turned away from TS and Disney finds more and more multiple ADRs being made, they are going to start requiring credit cards when booking ADRs and charging cancellations fees and what is currently a good and fair system is going to become a real headache for everyone.

So this is what I meant by Unfair..The ability to make reservations all over the place for the same night/same time. I didn't know they were cracking down on that. This is good news and will help make sure that certain restaurants aren't just looking booked solid on paper and they turn people away.

I do wish they would hold a few number of tables open for walk-ups so your vacation does not need to feel so regimented.

I like the current system but feel that charging for 'no shows' in some way would be good. IMO- a 10 or 20 dollar fee would detract many from trying to double book. (allthough- I've read that they have cracked down on this somehow in their system already without charging).

The reality is that the parks are huge, with lots of people. There are only so many seats to go around. The library/borders has 100's, even 1000's of books on DW for a reason. IMO- DW is not a place you just 'show up' like six flags. You should research and if you don't, that's your loss.

1 more problem with cancelling ADRs for those that try to book 2. Let's say I go with my sister who lives in FL. I book for 2 adults under 'ashley'-I tell them I'm staying at POP. Then my sister calls, books under 'susan'. She books for 2 people and claims she is 'local' and not staying on site.

NOW we have 2 ADRs for the same meal and they can't prove it. I would never do this but the reality is that LOTS of people DO do this and they think it's ok to do so, either that or they just don't care.

In order to truly stop people you have to charge a fee IMO.

Wow, I had no idea people would double book ADR's. I'm sorry but that seems really rude. We too saw people turned away for TS meals and I felt badly for them, especially when they had little ones. It's not fair to book 2 dinners on the same night, fully intending on only choosing one. I'm surprised people would do that. When I made my ADR's last week, the CM first asked for my reservation number and then asked my phone number. Well, I hope Disney does crack down on this practice, just seems unfair especially for those at Disney trying to get a TS meal. My 2 cents worth....:goodvibes

It should be 30 to 60 out not 180+. I called the day Free dining was allowed and I could only get lunch time for LE cellier for a whole week.

There is really no way to stop multiple ADRS but there should be! There will always be a way around whatever they make! There will always be people who care more about their vacation than Fairness.

The only change I would like to see is for the restaurants to hold back about 10% of their tables for walk-ups and late-comers.

Lots of people make trips on "short" notice - less than 6 months - which puts them well inside the 180-day booking window and makes it very hard to get restaurant ressies.

I've also been a non-planner myself and only started planning my ADRs because it's so impossible to get into any of the good restaurants without an ADR.

I don't want to see any massive changes in the system, but a limited number of tables held back for walk-ups would be nice. It's not like they'd go empty and lose money for the restuarants.

I think the reservation system is fair, it's just the popularity of the dining plan that makes it a big pain. I know the dining plan is a really great deal for some people, and I know it gets more people into the table service restaurants which is great for Disney's bottom line, but I personally wish it would go away. I know it's selfish, but it's true.

I really miss being able to go to the guest relations dining window in whatever park I was in that day and make reservations for that day with no problem for just about any restaurant there. I like how it used to be only the *really* popular things like breakfast at the castle or hoop dee do revue truly needed the advance dining reservations and everything else you could either make reservations for much closer to your trip or even week or day of.

I can understand about not knowing what you're going to want to eat when you are actually at the park six months in advance. I am one who gets my ADR's as soon as our trip is booked(which this year was 178 day out), but even then a lot of the restaurants or decent time slots were taken. I think it would be great if at least 1/4 of the tables at the restaurants were reserved for walk-ups, you know they would still be filled. Those who just walk-up may have to wait longer for a table than those with ADR's but at least then everyone would have an opportunity to eat at places they want. It would make things a little easier as far as flexibility too instead of having to plan your entire trip around food and having every meal mapped out in advance especially for those of us who like to wing it every now and again. But as other have said, that's just my opinion. ;)

I have no problem with the current system- first come first served as far as calling in ADRs.

I do wish there was a way to cancel out multiple ADRs that one party is booking for the same date-same meal. I think it wouldn't be that hard to create a computer program that would not allow the CM to enter in another Dinner ADR for the same date unless the other one was cancelled. I think it's crazy that people would double and triple book meals so that while they are there they can decide.

IDK b/c I always stay offsite, but then you book a vacation package with WDW does them CM inform you of the need/option/necessity of making ADRs at the 180+10 mark?

I do feel sorry for vacationers who get to WDW and are unable to eat any TS meals due to the fact that they didn't know about ADRs. I think it's kind of creepy that some people derive pleasure out of seeing families turned away when they don't have ADRs. I saw lots of this go on last October.

I love the 180 day ADR system

Its very simple.... make a top-10-list of places you'd like to try, and then build your park days around your ADR's

I remember the days of- 90 plus minute lines for dinner at Disney, and it wasn't fun.

Double booking ADR's is Disney's own fault. If they wanted to stop it, they would!
(I wish they would)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter