CRV ain't in the cards

salmoneous said:
Think of RCID as the local zoning board. It's not so much that RCID is making the Federal mandates stricter. But just like everywhere else, there are federal rules and local rules. You have to obey both.

things are loosey-goosey in the great state of pa, federal regs much tougher...probably why we have so many toxic dump sites floating around.

recent uniform building code implementation put most local municipalities' ones to shame when they insituted it. Still, lots of "grandfathering in" of new development, as long as it's replacing like or keeping a portion of original.

AKL need the help worst than CR does at present time.

that doesn't mean the project won't happen just not right now.

I got told (don't remember who) that putting a hotel on the Epcot monrail was impossible (okay just maybe darn hard) - because of the way the monrail works. Maybe some of your engineers could help?

so the costs to do that would be very high. high enough that the Cont would be a good alternative in a few years. when the cont again will have a hard time booking their rooms.

Bay Lake is a natural lake. Seven Seas Lagoon is the one Disney build.

I got told this week the problem with the Treehouses is a bird. One of those rare birds decided to move into the area and Disney can't do anything just upkept.
of course since hawks and eagles also live there - then maybe shortly this will not be a problem...

the treehouses are not in shape enough for guests to stay there. It is an overflow - when Disney has hired more students than it has room for in its student housing. then the International Students can live at the treehouses - but only temporary - 3 months. Learned that on the tour.

the rehab of the south wing was done in stages.

the North wing looks like more is being done to it. of course it needed more work. some walls needed to be repaired in the North wing.

tjkraz said:
I'm not even going to bother responding to every comment because you're missing my point on most of them. ?

I hear what your saying, I just disagree. At one time, the CR and Poly had the same room rates. I think the room rates should be similar today. If the parks & resort people can’t fix it, move over and let DVC bring in the cash.

tjkraz said:
The land on which the CR North Wing sits is some of the most valuable property in all of WDW given its location right outside of the MK. The Parks and Resorts Division isn't just going to give it to DVD for the next 50 years without receiving proper compensation. If Disney were to consider leasing that land to an outside company (i.e. as they've done with the Dolphin, Swan, Shades of Green, etc.) the land alone is certainly worth millions, perhaps billions of dollars over such an extended time period. If you want to talk about the project that would have the highest profit...there you have it.

Not even Bob Iger or Al Weiss would be foolish enough to assign zero value to the land just because it's an asset that already falls under the Disney umbrella. There are limitless options available for that land, and the only way to compare them objectively is to assign a real value to the property.

Limitless options??? The location is only suited for a resort. Its value is tied to a resort. The CR resort theme clock has been ticking since 1971. Paint and new furniture are not going to make it contemporary 2006.

tjkraz said:
And through all that, we still don't know the answer to perhaps the most significant question: What is the occupancy level at the CR since the refurb?

Thats a good question.

At one time, the CR and Poly had the same room rates. I think the room rates should be similar today. If the parks & resort people can’t fix it, move over and let DVC bring in the cash.

I think you would have to go back to the opening of WDW to find the room rates the same. I went back 10 years to check rates and Polynesian was higher every year. I don't understand the significance of the rates being different. Grand Floridian has always had higher rates than the Polynesian.

Sammie said:
I don't understand the significance of the rates being different. Grand Floridian has always had higher rates than the Polynesian.

GF is Disney’s flagship resort, so I wouldn’t put it in the same category. I see the Poly and CR as rental income. If I own two prime waterfront apartment complexes, built at the same time, located next to one another, I would expect to receive approx. the same rent for each location. If one complex has trouble reaching full occupancy, the rent would have to be reduced to attract residents.

Once I find the reduced price people are willing to pay, my next question would be….. Why wont people pay the same rate as it’s sister property? If my property manager couldn’t fix the problem, I would convert the units to Condos and retire in WDW. ;)

Just a little update on the North Wing Section of the CR......

The lastest I heard is that the workers are tearing up the parking lot at the CR North Garden Wing.

I have no idea why.

Just passing on the info.

minnie61650 said:
Just a little update on the North Wing Section of the CR......

The lastest I heard is that the workers are tearing up the driveway at the CR North Garden Wing.

I have no idea why.

Just passing on the info.

Confused...do you mean the parking lot?

It was closed off to the public & being used for CM parking & construction trailers 2 weeks ago.

BTW, ran into a friend of my son's working on Main St. as part of college internship (It's a Small World...). She indicated that she was staying in an apt. bldg. "somewhere" in Lake Buena Vista (had no idea as to street address, etc.:confused3 ...the Mouse takes care of food/transportation, etc. Appears as though they work long hours & most tend to either ride or tour the various resorts during their down time...poor dear was homesick).

keishashadow said:
Confused...do you mean the parking lot?

It was closed off to the public & being used for CM parking & construction trailers 2 weeks ago.

BTW, ran into a friend of my son's working on Main St. as part of college internship (It's a Small World...). She indicated that she was staying in an apt. bldg. "somewhere" in Lake Buena Vista (had no idea as to street address, etc.:confused3 ...the Mouse takes care of food/transportation, etc. Appears as though they work long hours & most tend to either ride or tour the various resorts during their down time...poor dear was homesick).

Oppps.
Yes, I did mean parking lot.

My daughter looked into the college program but her MI college would not give
her any credit for classes taken at Disney.

Disney does have housing and transportation provided for the students. The cost of the housing is deducted weekly from their paychecks but they have some nice perks such as free admission to the parks and some discounts at some of the restaurants.

I heard that Disney is has a real shortage (5,000-6,000 too few) when I was there in September. They were worried how they were going to be able to keep all 4 parks open when the busy season starts.

The Orlando area has almost a 0% unemployment rate and Disney tries to fill in the gaps with the College Program but the numbers are down in the CP also.

Here is a link to the CP for anyone interested.

http://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com/sap/its/mimes/zh_wdwcp/index.html

The Contemporary is not necessarily cheaper than the Poly. The fact is that there are more classes of rooms at the CR, hence the big price difference which are hard to compare apples to apples with the Poly. The Wings Should be cheaper, because they are a different world from the tower (which arguably IS the draw for most people at this resort). The MK lagoon view is more expensive at the Poly, but the Standard view (which I would compare to Bay Lake Tower View) is cheaper at the Poly. The views of Bay Lake are really no more special than views of any other lake in the country, not much to see but water and trees (although many like the tranquility).

So I think the whole premise that the CR rooms are less valuable than the Poly are off base... especially since no one really knows the occupancy rates. I also know that every time I have wanted a discounted room at the Poly, I have gotten one.

DVCPAT said:
GF is Disney’s flagship resort, so I wouldn’t put it in the same category. I see the Poly and CR as rental income. If I own two prime waterfront apartment complexes, built at the same time, located next to one another, I would expect to receive approx. the same rent for each location. If one complex has trouble reaching full occupancy, the rent would have to be reduced to attract residents.

Once I find the reduced price people are willing to pay, my next question would be….. Why wont people pay the same rate as it’s sister property? If my property manager couldn’t fix the problem, I would convert the units to Condos and retire in WDW. ;)

mlayton14 said:
The Contemporary is not necessarily cheaper than the Poly. The fact is that there are more classes of rooms at the CR, hence the big price difference which are hard to compare apples to apples with the Poly. The Wings Should be cheaper, because they are a different world from the tower (which arguably IS the draw for most people at this resort). The MK lagoon view is more expensive at the Poly, but the Standard view (which I would compare to Bay Lake Tower View) is cheaper at the Poly. The views of Bay Lake are really no more special than views of any other lake in the country, not much to see but water and trees (although many like the tranquility).

So I think the whole premise that the CR rooms are less valuable than the Poly are off base... especially since no one really knows the occupancy rates. I also know that every time I have wanted a discounted room at the Poly, I have gotten one.
::yes:: , they do have quite an odd system @ CR.

There's a thread somewhere...bride unable to secure rooms @ CR for guests, end of July, I believe; who's pleading that people cancel "unwanted" ressies.

For what it's worth, the rumor I keep hearing more and more is that the North Garden Wing will be site to more cash rooms--perhaps even with the 15-story tower that's been viewed, but again cash rooms instead of DVC.

My eggs are still in the "cash-rooms-to-be-converted-to-DVC-at-some-future-date" basket.

I just wanted to share an interesting article I came across about the history of the STOL landing strip. It even shows that the 1969 master plan called for a jetport to be built on the WDW property. Those plans were scrapped after 9/11 because WDW became a no-fly zone.

I thought the article was quite interesting.

Here is the link:

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2005/03/08/554.aspx

Why would you pull out all the trees in the parking lot, remove the planters, and pave them over if were just replacing FF&E?

Its coming down

DVCPAT said:

From my recent posts about bringing in guests you may not want my endorsement ,but here goes. I totally agree with yur logic posted in this thread.

CR has lower rates because CRO can't fill the rooms.

Now I am with Tkraz that AKV must have been cheaper to develeop than CRV and that is the reason they started there.

My guess is that we will have both as DVC's before long. SSR sales are winding down.

dumbo71 said:
Now I am with Tkraz that AKV must have been cheaper to develeop than CRV and that is the reason they started there.

My guess is that we will have both as DVC's before long. SSR sales are winding down.

AKV construction may be less expensive. The separate building might be an add-on similar to WLV. If I remember correctly, the resort’s original plans had an area designated for expansion, so it may well have the utilities already in place.

The CRV might have a few more costly features like an elevated walkway to the monorail level. I wouldn’t be surprised if it had a premium pool along with some type of roof top observation deck. Speculation may heat up if they start tearing the building down.

I'm jumping in without having read this entire thread --

Disney has another very big business -- conventions. The Contemporary is one of their convention hotels. I'm sure they'd need to think everything through before they gave up rooms to DVC. It may be that they are doing a major upgrade to offer rooms and hospitality suites that up to today's convention standards.

Got to keep this thread alive! Breath, d****arn it! Breath! You are too young to die!

CR became a convention hotel when it was obviously it won't ever be as popular as the Polyn. less guests returned to this hotel.

then the bc & yc were made availble and most companies want access to Epcot and studios over the MK. (at least they think their employees are thinking....)

then the BW and now even CSR.

the only type of resort that does not have a convention is the value - and who knows maybe they will put a convention center next to the unused Pop.

CR in a few years when the latest rehab is old will again be short of guests.

in 1996 Polyn had more types than the CR
standard
garden
pool/marina
logoon
garden view concierge
lagoon view concierge
suites

the cont had
standard
garden/water view
deluxe water view
park/bay view (tower)
suites

the standard view at both were close, so were the garden/water, the pool/marina were the water views.

as to why the Polyn did away with these selections - I don't know.

but even then what the Cont say it wanted and what it would take - were very, very different.

the Polyn has most of the time kept to its prices. (okay during 1999 & 2000 & 2001 - both had big discounts)

facebook twitter