Cruisin' a DREAM and WDW July 2-July 15th TR updated 1/25:Final Entry! page 15

Hey Figment -- I remember you asked about check-in privileges for your 10 year old daughter and how I am handling it for my daughter.

I am actually going to "age up" my 10yo daughter to the Edge (and my 13yo to the Vibe) this time. They are both older 10 and 13 year olds and did not enjoy their "clubs" in March.

Something to think about.

no real excuse other than as DW said we have been in the middle of a very stressful selling the house experience.

Essentially it falls under the "anything that could go wrong, is going wrong".

Since I have time, here's the story, you can read it if you want, if not...no biggie. :thumbsup2

of course that goes for everything I write!

Anyway, our house sold in 3 days. nice!:banana:

The week we agreed to terms with the buyers we received a letter from our town. It was friday at about 3:30. In the letter it stated that the town had received multiple complaints from a neighbor that we had a finished basement that wasn't reported. It said some other stuff, but that was incorrect.

We bought the house 7 years ago...and when we bought it, there was a finished basement, so we figured it was a mistake with the house number. DW called (remember it was 3:30pm on a friday), and they were gone for the day. Nice life, eh?

So we let is rest for the weekend and contacted them Monday. Come to find out that it is our house (and another one on our street) that some neighbor had turned in. We stated that we had a finished basement, and that it was that way when we bought it.

We also asked who made the complaint. We had 2-3 neighbors in mind as to who may have done this, and they checked on if it was a public complaint, which it was. turns out we were dead wrong on the "who" portion of this. It was our next door neighbor. Now...if this was someone I had issues with I guess I would understand...but we got along with their family. I wouldn't say we were best friends...but we didn't dislike each other. Add to this that on memorial day we had dinner with them and another couple. In the 7 years we lived next door they never managed to say "oh by the way, the guy that owned the house before you didn't get a permit to build the basement". Yeah, I have choice words for my neighbor.

Anyhoooo, no big deal, right? basement was built 12 years ago, the town surely has dealt with this. So we asked what the next steps were and I was transfered over to the building inspection guys. he asks "do you have a walkout or a bulkhead basement?". I have a bulkhead and answered as such.

"the town won't approve that, you will have to rip it out". Seriously, this is what he said. I about flipped out, and my stress level went through the roof as we had a contract on our house which very much included the basement.

This began a 2.5 week endevour, including a lawyer...potential solution to rip a hole in the side of my house for an egress window...and has finally landed on us having to put a sprinkler system in our basement.

So thanks to our nosy neighbor, we will be spending around $7-8,000 for a fix that we certainly were not anticipating.

Bottom line, our town is extremely unhelpful (we do pay their salaries, right???). Rather than guiding us through the process, their answer is "just rip it out". The Fire dude in town like to follow the letter of the code, even if he has the authority to waive it in certain circumstances (and I would think having a basement in existance for 12 years with no deaths (*knock on wood*) falls under an exception type of thing.

Soooo, we should have our final estimates tomorrow...then we submit everything for approval from the town, who then will come and inspect whatvever it can, without digging into the sheet rock (another interesting story because when I talked to the town they told me they would have to dig holes in the sheetrock to check the electical...but suddenly when our attorney was involved they weren't going to do that!).

Nightmare after nightmare. so that's where we went. :)

Hopefully this will all be over soon and I can concentrate on what is important...how much beer I need to bring onboard.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings!

DZ

Well, having worked for construction companies for the last 20 years, and 20 years for attorneys prior to that (yes, I know, I'm old!) and dealing with the "civil service employees" (that's my nice way of saying something that would otherwise be bleeped on this board), I sincerely hope that you reach a solution without having to jump through the fire lit hoops.

I presume your attorney thought to have you pull out the appraisel that would have been done by your mortgage company when you purchased, which would clearly indicate a finished basement. Who knows, it might help in proving that it was there before you purchased...although dealing with the "civil service employees", more than likely that would be above their level of comprehension.

As an aside, I guess there are ball-less neighbors everywhere. We had a similar situation when we were re-installing a fence ON OUR property with a neighbor who didn't want a gate (which had always been there). She watched hubby labor all weekend installing the 4x4s and hanging the fence, commented how nice it looked, and when she went home for the weekend to her main house, she emailed and complained about it. I often wonder how people like that can sleep at night and continue to be "friendly". I certainly hope that your neighbor has all his "t's" cross and "i's" dotted since he's throwing stones. He'll still be living there.....you will be gone.

Insofar as "how much beer". I'm going to go out on a limb and say you might want to have it shipped to the ship because you are going to need LOTS!!!

Hope all works out soon. Have missed chatting.

This began a 2.5 week endevour, including a lawyer...potential solution to rip a hole in the side of my house for an egress window...and has finally landed on us having to put a sprinkler system in our basement.

So thanks to our nosy neighbor, we will be spending around $7-8,000 for a fix that we certainly were not anticipating.

DZ

So, does your neighbor have a financial interest in the sprinkler system company?

Sorry you have to deal with this -- I had a neighbor like that at one time. Never had a problem until I tried to remove some landscaping on my side of the property line that apparently he put in years before we moved in there. Um -- it is on my side of the line, and we are redoing our landscaping. Not nearly the problem ($$$) you are having but still was long and drawn out.

So, does your neighbor have a financial interest in the sprinkler system company?

Sorry you have to deal with this -- I had a neighbor like that at one time. Never had a problem until I tried to remove some landscaping on my side of the property line that apparently he put in years before we moved in there. Um -- it is on my side of the line, and we are redoing our landscaping. Not nearly the problem ($$$) you are having but still was long and drawn out.
Ha! I don't know...maybe he does. I don't get neighbors. If I have an issue I'll go talk to someone. Funny how almost everyone has a story of a neighbor doing something underhanded!

Well, having worked for construction companies for the last 20 years, and 20 years for attorneys prior to that (yes, I know, I'm old!) and dealing with the "civil service employees" (that's my nice way of saying something that would otherwise be bleeped on this board), I sincerely hope that you reach a solution without having to jump through the fire lit hoops.

I presume your attorney thought to have you pull out the appraisel that would have been done by your mortgage company when you purchased, which would clearly indicate a finished basement. Who knows, it might help in proving that it was there before you purchased...although dealing with the "civil service employees", more than likely that would be above their level of comprehension.

As an aside, I guess there are ball-less neighbors everywhere. We had a similar situation when we were re-installing a fence ON OUR property with a neighbor who didn't want a gate (which had always been there). She watched hubby labor all weekend installing the 4x4s and hanging the fence, commented how nice it looked, and when she went home for the weekend to her main house, she emailed and complained about it. I often wonder how people like that can sleep at night and continue to be "friendly". I certainly hope that your neighbor has all his "t's" cross and "i's" dotted since he's throwing stones. He'll still be living there.....you will be gone.

Insofar as "how much beer". I'm going to go out on a limb and say you might want to have it shipped to the ship because you are going to need LOTS!!!

Hope all works out soon. Have missed chatting.

Ditto! Unfortunately the town could care less that the basement was here prior to us. Essentially they just don't care. And apparently they also don't care to guide us through the process either! So unfortunately we are stuck doing sprinklers. Should make a decision on who is going to do the work today...at least then we are done with that process and get get the long painful ball rolling through approvals!

That sucks about the fence, you guys must have been pissed!

RE: our neighbor...I think the biggest impact to them will be that everyone knows they are doing this. If you know he has done that in the past and you have something that is not on your official record...would you invite them over? I hope that their social life suffers!

Good to hear from you. Boy do I need a drink.

DZ

Boy do I need a drink.

DZ

OK -- If my favorite heavy handed bartender is still at the bar at the adult pool I will buy you a heavy handed poured drink. Also, be careful of the martinis poured at the skyline bar -- they are STRONG (in a good way of course). You get your money's worth there.

Ditto! Unfortunately the town could care less that the basement was here prior to us. Essentially they just don't care. And apparently they also don't care to guide us through the process either! So unfortunately we are stuck doing sprinklers. Should make a decision on who is going to do the work today...at least then we are done with that process and get get the long painful ball rolling through approvals!

That sucks about the fence, you guys must have been pissed!

RE: our neighbor...I think the biggest impact to them will be that everyone knows they are doing this. If you know he has done that in the past and you have something that is not on your official record...would you invite them over? I hope that their social life suffers!

Good to hear from you. Boy do I need a drink.

DZ

Yes, it does suck about the fence. But her loss. Single female who used to come over (through that VERY gate) and ask hubby to do just about anything...electrical repairs, plumbing repairs, help with a mower, weedwacker, gutters, (all at no charge to her), etc., not to mention all the times we'd just say "come on over for whatever's on the grill tonight". Now, you ask? NOTHING. NADA. Pay for your own contractors!!! In fact, I barely even look in that direction. In fact, all the other neighbors in our very close neighborhood won't speak with her after what she "did to us". :rotfl: So, I do believe that your neighbor will also suffer. Remember, for every action, there is a reaction!

As your crowning blow as you move, you might indicate to the Town that you believe their setbacks are illegal. That would open up an big can of worms. :rotfl: I know.....evil......

Seriously, though. You should be able to go to the Building Dept. and ask for a building permit and checklist. That would give you the steps you need to follow and what you need to submit. Here, for a pre-existing condition/violation, you would merely need to complete a building permit, submit "as built" surveys, pay the fee (that's all they really want) and then request a final inspection. Your problem is the egress window. You'd need to have that put in before you could call for the final inspection. I don't understand why, in a residence you are being required to install a sprinkler system, unless that is in lieu of the egress window. If so, I would think the egress window would be cheaper. You could put that in, have a very deep window well and a steel ladder that goes up from the well to grade. That's how they do it here. Understandably all zoning laws are different. No matter how you resolve it, I wish you a speedy, lost cost resolution. At all times, though, look at the bright side.....you wanted to move, the house sold quick and you are leaving for bigger and better things!! :wizard:

Yes, good hearing from you again too. I've sent you emails...but you've been too busy, obviously. ;)

Happy on the Lake, thanks for the update. I will have to think about that. DD wants to check out the club, and if we have to make changes, we will. But, I will inform her of the potential option.

DizneyZell, all I can say is "Wow." We bought our current house 6 years ago now. It was empty for 3 years - we live next to a highway, but with almost 5 acres, I can ignore it. But the stories we heard about the people we bought from - lawsuits with one of the other neighbors, not friendly to the others. We were welcomed, because the alternative was the person we were buying from was going to move back in if the house didn't sell.

I hope your situation does not scare off the potential buyers. Hope your attorney can help mitigate the problem, at least a little. Should have been noticed when you bought the house. That's the trouble with legal problems. Most of the uncorrectable "damage" has occured before someday seeks legal advice.

And, bring the beer, but I suggest martinis. Martinis are much more compact. And, you get an olive - fiber is always a bonus. - and I think an olive counts as a fruit. (Make a note: Going to have to figure out how many qualify as a serving.) Sounds like I'm going to have to check out the Skyline bar.

Less than three weeks and break time. Now, back to my homework. :crazy2:

Seriously, though. You should be able to go to the Building Dept. and ask for a building permit and checklist. That would give you the steps you need to follow and what you need to submit. Here, for a pre-existing condition/violation, you would merely need to complete a building permit, submit "as built" surveys, pay the fee (that's all they really want) and then request a final inspection. Your problem is the egress window. You'd need to have that put in before you could call for the final inspection. I don't understand why, in a residence you are being required to install a sprinkler system, unless that is in lieu of the egress window. If so, I would think the egress window would be cheaper. You could put that in, have a very deep window well and a steel ladder that goes up from the well to grade. That's how they do it here. Understandably all zoning laws are different. No matter how you resolve it, I wish you a speedy, lost cost resolution. At all times, though, look at the bright side.....you wanted to move, the house sold quick and you are leaving for bigger and better things!! :wizard:
I had not idea how much sprinklers cost, frankly I thought that would be cheaper. But then we found out that we have to have a tank of water becuase our wonderful water supply company won't let us hook into the town water (even though our fire marshall said he had never heard of such a thing). Alas one more expense for us. While the window well may have been cheaper, it's a pretty big impact to the look of the house. My concern with doing that is that the buyer would have the opportunity to walk away because we would be changing the structure of the house. However, with sprinklers there really isn't an impact...so that's why we are going that way. And you are correct, this is in lieu of the window. But we do remain a bit hostage to our town...I'm hoping they get their pound of flesh and walk away. fingers crossed for us! :thumbsup2

Happy on the Lake, thanks for the update. I will have to think about that. DD wants to check out the club, and if we have to make changes, we will. But, I will inform her of the potential option.

DizneyZell, all I can say is "Wow." We bought our current house 6 years ago now. It was empty for 3 years - we live next to a highway, but with almost 5 acres, I can ignore it. But the stories we heard about the people we bought from - lawsuits with one of the other neighbors, not friendly to the others. We were welcomed, because the alternative was the person we were buying from was going to move back in if the house didn't sell.

I hope your situation does not scare off the potential buyers. Hope your attorney can help mitigate the problem, at least a little. Should have been noticed when you bought the house. That's the trouble with legal problems. Most of the uncorrectable "damage" has occured before someday seeks legal advice.

And, bring the beer, but I suggest martinis. Martinis are much more compact. And, you get an olive - fiber is always a bonus. - and I think an olive counts as a fruit. (Make a note: Going to have to figure out how many qualify as a serving.) Sounds like I'm going to have to check out the Skyline bar.

Less than three weeks and break time. Now, back to my homework. :crazy2:
It pisses me off, to be frank, that the inspector and realtor when we bought the house never checked. That should be their jobs! rest assured, we will make sure that all the permits were pulled for any work in any house we buy in the future! :)

I'm not a big martini fan to be honest. I agree that it is more compact and I do believe that you can actually count the olive as an offset to the alcohol and the calories therein. So you are in good shape...and much better off than me because I refuse to drink water in dark brown bottles with beer labels on them! :) I'm a full flavor guy...the hoppier the better. Actually I was thinking about that the other day, do you remember when Keystone came out, all the commercials about bitter face? Kinda funny that I look for those double or triple IPA type beers...which end up giving you that face!

You have that to look forward to on the cruise...which is nice. :)

Well, I have to squeeze in some work here...and then off to Home Depot for ropes to tie down our stuff!

DZ

What's the update. I have thought about your problem dailly and hope that you are getting it solved. But, I can't wait any more for an update . . . What's happening?????

I trully hope it is all working out. Only a few more days to get away.

Continued good luck. Sending pixie dust your way - umm without the emoticon.

Take Care,
John

Happened across your PT report as I'll be on the 7/10 cruise also. So very sorry to hear about your troubles with your township in getting your house sold (although as someone else said, it did sell which is no small feat these days).

I was wondering if you or your lawyer had checked your title insurance. I know that some policies do extend coverage to situations like this. Would be nice for title insurance to be useful for once. It's one of the biggest legal scams going in the real estate industry. Love it when you refinance and you have to get a whole new policy instead of just an update from the policy you got when you last refi'd or bought the place (usually just a couple of years prior.)

Anyway, it was just a thought. I hope things work out for you and you're able to enjoy the cruise.

What's the update. I have thought about your problem dailly and hope that you are getting it solved. But, I can't wait any more for an update . . . What's happening?????

I trully hope it is all working out. Only a few more days to get away.

Continued good luck. Sending pixie dust your way - umm without the emoticon.

Take Care,
John
ACK! sorry, I didn't return to update. So we have gotten approval for the sprinkler plan, it actually wasn't too painful. The guys are here doing the install today, we have an electricial coming in tomorrow, and our inspection is next Thursday. So keep your fingers crossed that the inspection goes well and then we can close the chapter on this fun part of our life.

Happened across your PT report as I'll be on the 7/10 cruise also. So very sorry to hear about your troubles with your township in getting your house sold (although as someone else said, it did sell which is no small feat these days).

I was wondering if you or your lawyer had checked your title insurance. I know that some policies do extend coverage to situations like this. Would be nice for title insurance to be useful for once. It's one of the biggest legal scams going in the real estate industry. Love it when you refinance and you have to get a whole new policy instead of just an update from the policy you got when you last refi'd or bought the place (usually just a couple of years prior.)

Anyway, it was just a thought. I hope things work out for you and you're able to enjoy the cruise.
That is an interesting question, I will ask it. Although I doubt I'm lucky enough to be covered for this! :)

So we are quickly approaching go-time for our vacation. As we are heading to Disney World first, along with moving, along with having people work on our house...along with...well, you name it we are doing it.

This week we left on Monday and flew out to California to look for houses. We got to squeeze into the back of the United Airlines plane...but managed to suffer through the flight...except...

DW has a Kindle...and I have a Transformer (a droid tablet). So I try to get books that we can use on both. I downloaded a whole bunch and converted them into the format that I thought we needed for both of us, loaded them up and was on our merry way.

Well, um...apparently I was wrong on the format that the Kindle could read...so no books for DW. I felt like a heel. Well, in my defense there was one book that she could read, but she apparently didn't want to.

Luckily I had loaded a moving so we shared that and it took us most of the way accross.

The house hunting went well, we saw quite a few houses. The area we are moving to has quite a few foreclosures and short sales. Amazing the condition of some of those houses. I just can't imagine living in a house and trashing it the way some of these people do. I get that they don't care anymore and feel like the bank is screwing them...but to be honest it's not the Bank's fault...well, maybe the banking system, but I digress. so I'm pretty amazed that people will do this.

So we found three houses that we really like. After seeing our favorite our realtor reached out to their realtor (this was not a short sale or foreclosure which take forever), and asked about the house. Apparently they had a low-ball offer which was rejected, but no other offers.

so that night we made up our offer, we felt it was competative, but below the asking price. basically the whole next day we heard nothing...the owner of the house apparently hunts, and apparently wasn't worried about selling his house!

While we were waiting DW was looking at Realtor.com and came accross the house we put in an offer for and the price was $20,000 higher. We called our realtor to inquire, she didn't know what they were doing. Essentially they had dropped their price to spark interest, and then as soon as there was interest they put it right back up! Very shady.

Their realtor got back to us later in the day and told us the people that did the low-ball offer were back in the game (I'm sure they called and prompted this which of course is their job), and that their offer was $5,000 higher than ours. So we came back $2,000 higher than that offer.

Late that night we got a counter offer (that was sent to both potential buyers)...at the new full price that is $20,000 higher than the price when we looked at it. Oh the gall. I was annoyed at this point and close to walking away. But we really like the house so we raised our offer up to the original asking price and informed their agent that it was our best and final offer.

Then we got to fly the lovely United back home (yeah, I'm a bit annoyed by that airline!) and when we landed I got a text from our agent telling us that both offers were identical and did we want to go higher. Uh...no...I think I already said it was our best and final offer! So we put a deadline of this morning on it and have prepared an offer for our 2nd choice. At 1pm Eastern we will either get our #1 house or put an offer on #2.

needless to say our luck on this whole move thing has sucked. Hopefully it will improve on our trip to Orlando!!

Sorry to be a downer...but this pretty much ends the pre-trip report. I'll start posting my trip report once we are back...hope you all have a good couple of weeks!

DZ

I am very glad everything is working out.
At least look at the title insurance stuff. See if there is anything there.

I got my notice of class action settlement yesterday concerning Country Wide. I have to now look at my paperwork for when we had a mortgage throught them. It was short lived. I didn't trust them and refinanced as soon as possible - about three years later. Had an ARM, and Yes I understood what I was doing. I understood their pitch envough to know I liked the flexibility, but I did my own calculations and treated it like a regular mortgage and made the appropriate real payments. I needed the flexibilyt as our offer of we buy when our house sells wasn't accepted, and we didn't want to lose the new house. So, had two mortgages for awhile. The flexibility on an ARM was what I needed if selling the old house took too long. We were lucky. Old house sold in 6 months. I estimated we were safe for a year without needed the flexibility.

I understand how people believe they were sold a bill of goods on many ARM's. The sales pitch was something else. Lucky I understood and was able to actually read the contracts and do my own calculations. They never lied, but they definitely pointed out the good while glossing over the problems.

Congratualtions on all you've accomplished so far. You're definitely going to deserve a break next week.

Just wanted to say hi!! We'll be on the Dream the same time as you, so I figured I'd try to catch you :wave: before you left for Florida!

hi all! we had a great trip...and I have a ton to share with you along with a ton of pictures. However, we have now moved and are in California (woohoo! finally!!!), and my computers and stuff are on their way here. We close on our new house Friday, once we do that I might be settled enough to start the TR...but we also have to get our pictures from Disney...DW has to work through our photopass CD. And this will be a combo WDW and Cruise TR...hope you can all put up with that! so sit tight, I'll get to it as soon as I can!

DZ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter