Cruise swelling??? Anyone else???

Glad I found this thread. I just got back from a 3 day on the Dream and I experienced this foot and ankle swelling for the first time. I was in Europe this summer on a 7 day and did not experience it, so not sure what the culprit is as I drank lots of water on both cruises. It was very uncomfortable and it even radiated up into my lower legs and and I normally have very thin ankles, but they looked liked wooden stacked blocks. I did notice the food, while tasty was salty, especially at Cabanas...I found the MDR dinners to be fine. I only had one alcoholic drink per day and mainly drank water and sugar free iced tea.

I didn't fly and I noticed it on Day 2 of the cruise, we didn't do any excursions other than spending a beach day on CC on the 3rd day. Even my face and eyes were retaining fluid...it was so bizarre. I hope it goes away fast.
OP here. Wow! I started this thread a loooong time ago! I'm about to take my 13th Disney cruise, 16th total and I still swell up. Fred Flintstone feet all the way. On the 14-night WBPC in May 2015 I drank very little alcohol, mostly water. Still swollen. I eat more salads or fresh fruit/veggies than anything. Desserts I mostly don't eat because they don't appeal anymore. Still I swell. It's the strangest thing!

Still have yet to try some water pills. Maybe I'll look for some to try on my upcoming cruise. The swelling + the plantar fasciitis I suffer with now is pretty uncomfortable.

Oh my gosh, I don't wear them in WDW. I wear them to bed at night and basically while walking around in our room when I know we're in for the night. It still helps a lot.:cloud9:
I wear them to work also because I'm on my feet all day. A coworker just tried them and loves how her legs feel so much better by the end of the day. I joke that you have to be > 80 yrs old to walk around with them with shorts in public. :goodvibes

If you really need to wear them during the day with something shorter, a work-around is to get the thigh-high compression stockings that look like nylons. Still a little odd to wear nylons in summer with shorts, but not as weird as traditional, "old lady" knee-high compression stockings!!

I had a clot during my second pregnancy, and my OB/GYNs insisted that I wear compression stockings everyday basically forever. Yeah, that doesn't really happen... but in the summer time I do tend to need them or my leg is miserable.

Thank you folks so much for making me aware that swelling is likely to be an issue on the cruise!! Now I can come prepared :)

I still have issues with swelling whether I'm cruising or on a beach! Salt in the air/water just does me in. Hot or cold temps, it doesn't matter - cruising to Alaska my feet/ankles swelled so badly that I couldn't even get Uggs on! (Ugh is right!) I've tried water pills and also compression socks and neither one helps. I'm thinking about the Midol that someone mentioned.

I thought about MSG so I spent the better part of a cruise eating as little prepared food as possible. Zero difference for me. Frustrating!

Get in the pool. Really. It was recommended by my mother's cardiologist.

The pressure of the water will reduce your swelling. No pills or creams needed.

Just get in the pool. The deeper the better. (You might notice a need to use the restroom as your body gets rid of the fluid.)

Well, I took a diuretic last night and already there is much improvement in my ankles. Probably will be gone by tomorrow. I have an upcoming cruise in December, I hope this was a one time thing! I think I'm going to try to eat more healthy on next cruise...HA!! now that was funny.

Get in the pool. Really. It was recommended by my mother's cardiologist.

The pressure of the water will reduce your swelling. No pills or creams needed.

Just get in the pool. The deeper the better. (You might notice a need to use the restroom as your body gets rid of the fluid.)

I spend nearly the entire day in CC in the ocean, in deeper part so not sure this works as they got more swollen as the cruise went on.

I spend nearly the entire day in CC in the ocean, in deeper part so not sure this works as they got more swollen as the cruise went on.
It really isn't a question of it working. Water has more pressure than air. So water works in a similar way that compression stockings work.

It isn't a permanent cure. Just like the stockings, it is something you would have to do every day.

And a lot of times there is sodium in the tap water -- which is why we buy bottled water or use the filtered water at the drink station. My doctor prescribes water pills which make a drastic difference in how much swelling I get. I never leave without them now.

We just returned from a 7-night cruise on Saturday. I did try to balance having more fruit but did still eat bacon and things that are high in sodium. I brought my knee-highs and only wore them while in the cabin and kept them on while I slept too. I wear them to work every day because I'm always on my feet so it's not that strange to me anyway. It wasn't as bad as some previous cruises but it was still noticeable.

I eat a plant-based diet with an emphasis on fruit, raw veggies and clean carbs, so no dairy, eggs or animal products. I drink 2-3 litres of water per day minimum. On a 7 day cruise with my diet accommodated for I had severe swelling over my entire body by day two of the cruise. We spoke to the head chef and manager of food services to ensure there was no salt in my food as I know I have a severe intolerance to salt and thought that was the issue. We also had 2 cases of bottled water in our room from which I would exclusively drink, including at mealtimes. The swelling only increased over the following days. I drink no alcohol and remained active during the entire trip. Not only could I not wear my shoes but I could not close the waistband on any of my trousers. I wound up wearing loose, stretchy maxi dresses almost constantly as that was all that fit. My torso looked like I was very pregnant. It took quite some time for the swelling to go down after we returned home. We drove to the port from our home so there was no flying involved. We have searched for answers to prevent this from happening again as we would like to go on another cruise. I all of my reading about this problem I have not seen anyone with swelling to the extent that I had. Aside from body brushing, compression stockings and diuretics any suggestions? Than-q in advance for any ideas and input you may have.

Same here. I swell as well. It never hurts. Just looks bigger and goes away usually shortly after I return home. Good to know I'm not alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter