Cruise Ship Etiquette?

Cerberus9

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have any links, articles, or other regarding cruise ship etiquette that they could recommend? Proper etiquette is something very important to me.

OOH! Someone posted a good one yesterday. Let me see if I can find it! ;)

Wait! That was YOU that posted it! LOL! Well then, I guess you read that one! LOL! :o

I haven't seen any others. :confused3

OOH! Someone posted a good one yesterday. Let me see if I can find it! ;)

If we're thinking of the same article, it may have been me who posted it!

I was wondering if there were any others. (It's always best to get more than one viewpoint)

Does anyone have any links, articles, or other regarding cruise ship etiquette that they could recommend? Proper etiquette is something very important to me.

If etiquette is very important you then DCL is unlikely to be a good fit for you.

Table service is the informal American style that can be shocking to upper crust euro types.
the staff are very informal
the rules are very lax. dress code is pretty much a vague guideline.

it is a cruise line heavily geared toward casual west coast USA, with a nod to old the old school but little more.

If you want more formal traditional etiquette or even a consistent standard, dcl is not it.

Having said all that, DCL is great fun , relaxing and in my mind worth every penny. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 but you are more likely to run into a string vest than a string quartet.

If etiquette is very important you then DCL is unlikely to be a good fit for you.

Table service is the informal American style that can be shocking to upper crust euro types.

it is a cruise line heavily geared toward casual west coast USA, with a nod to old the old school but little more.

If you want more formal traditional etiquette or even a consistent standard, dcl is not it.

Having said all that, DCL is great fun , relaxing and in my mind worth every penny. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 but you are more likely to run into a string vest than a string quartet.

:rotfl: PLEASE tell me this is a gag reel....

I'm not sure what you think I mean by "etiquette". Perhaps it was a poor choice of words on my part, but I think you're confusing "etiquette" with "formality"; I'm merely referring to general courtesy and manners onboard a cruise ship. In any case, I'm not concerned with how others choose to act--if it's not important to them, so be it; however, as I said, it is important to me and I just want to be sure what the "traditional" expectations are.

Is there specific etiquette for cruise ships? DCL certainly walks you through pretty much everything, including tips, etc.

The same rules of etiquette and courtesy apply pretty much wherever I go. The only cruise-specific etiquette I can think of is to try not to ralph on someone else if you're seasick.

I think one post was confusing etiquette with atmosphere of the ship, where it really is more to do with personal actions.

Behave as you would anywhere else..common courtesy goes a long way!!! I have a book I got as a gift a long, long time ago called "The Essential Little Cruise Book". It is written by a cruise director and gives general cruising tips and does have a section on ship etiquette. I have listed them below...again these are general etiquette tips and I paraphrased some of them. Not everyone will agree with all of them and may feel they don't pertain to DCL but here they are.

Never go up to the Captain when you see him around the ship and ask "Who's driving the boat"?....he's heard it a thousand times and it gets old quick.

Don't leave your laundry in the machines and not come back for it.

Don't leave your personal belongings on deck chairs to save them for later. They are for everyone and unless you are ready to use them don't leave stuff on them.

Don't walk around the ship in your bathing suit without a cover up and don't walk the halls in your nightie and curlers.

Don't drape towels and clothing on the verandah railing (makes the ship look tacky).

Always be polite when asking for something from the staff. Always smile and make eye contact.

Be modest in your attire, not everyone needs to see every bump and bulge.

Respect crew only areas (the ship is also their home and how would you feel if strangers were pushing their way into your living room).

Don't sit in the first row at the show and doze off....people behind you can be distracted by your bobbing head and the performers won't appreciate people dozing during the show.

Be discreet with your money and personal wealth. Nobody really cares and being ostentatious is in bad taste.

When leaving your cabin don't let the doors slam.

To be asked to dine with the Captain is an honor don't ever turn it down.

There is a reason cruise ships don't sell gum....if you bring your own don't stick it where it does not belong (like on the floor or under furniture). Dispose of it properly.

If coming back from muddy excursion, take off your shoes and carry them to room so you don't track mud through the ship

Don't block the elevators, wait until passengers leave the elevator before boarding.

If you encounter a problem seek out a crew member and discreetly explain the problem. Don't bore your fellow passengers with it.

Keep a grip on yourself, don't over indulge in alcohol and be annoying to others.

If the evening calls for formal attire don't change into shorts and t-shirt mid way through.

Never use your hand to touch food on the buffets, always use the tongs provided (or don't put stuff back if you change your mind).

Take a moment to commend the staff if you feel they have done a great job. A pat on the back goes a long way.

And my favorite:

If the sun shines smile, it is rains...smile and look for the rainbow!

MJ

I think one post was confusing etiquette with atmosphere of the ship, where it really is more to do with personal actions.

Behave as you would anywhere else..common courtesy goes a long way!!! I have a book I got as a gift a long, long time ago called "The Essential Little Cruise Book". It is written by a cruise director and gives general cruising tips and does have a section on ship etiquette. I have listed them below...again these are general etiquette tips and I paraphrased some of them. Not everyone will agree with all of them and may feel they don't pertain to DCL but here they are.

Never go up to the Captain when you see him around the ship and ask "Who's driving the boat"?....he's heard it a thousand times and it gets old quick.

Don't leave your personal belongings on deck chairs to save them for later. They are for everyone and unless you are ready to use them don't leave stuff on them.

Don't walk around the ship in your bathing suit without a cover up and don't walk the halls in your nightie and curlers.

Don't drape towels and clothing on the verandah railing (makes the ship look tacky).

Always be polite when asking for something from the staff. Always smile and make eye contact.

Respect crew only areas (the ship is also their home and how would you feel if strangers were pushing their way into your living room).

Don't sit in the first row at the show and doze off....people behind you can be distracted by your bobbing head and the performers won't appreciate people dozing during the show.

Be discreet with your money and personal wealth. Nobody really cares and being ostentatious is in bad taste.

There is a reason cruise ships don't sell gum....if you bring your own don't stick it where it does not belong (like on the floor or under furniture). Dispose of it properly.

If coming back from muddy excursion, take off your shoes and carry them to room so you don't track mud through the ship

Don't block the elevators, wait until passengers leave the elevator before boarding.

If you encounter a problem seek out a crew member and discreetly explain the problem. Don't bore your fellow passengers with it.

Keep a grip on yourself, don't over indulge in alcohol and be annoying to others.

If the evening calls for formal attire don't change into shorts and t-shirt mid way through.

Never use your hand to touch food on the buffets, always use the tongs provided (or don't put stuff back if you change your mind).

Take a moment to commend the staff if you feel they have done a great job. A pat on the back goes a long way.

And my favorite:

MJ

I think these are great suggestions that cruisers should follow. I love the one about letting others off the elevator before trying to get on. They probably should add to stand back from the elevator doors as well. We travel a lot for business & it never fails that we will be in an elevator in a hotel & we'll land on the lobby level & people are standing right at the entrance to the elevators & we have to ask them to move so we can exit. Just a little space to get off would be nice :).

I also like the one about not putting food back if you decide you don't want it, I would think that was common knowledge, but no!

Maybe cruise lines should send out a little letter in their cruise documents with these guidelines, it would actually probably help a lot of people who aren't trying to be rude, they just don't know any better.

These are great! I am going to go over them with my kids before our first cruise in Oct!
Thanks for posting!

And my favorite:

MJ

:thumbsup2

One that I'm glad I read is the one about the muddy excursion. I haven't cruised but I would probably just have tried to wipe my feet as best I could before getting on then go directly back to my room.... mostly because I wouldn't be sure if walking barefoot though the ship or tracking mud would be considered worse. I know many places don't like people walking around barefoot. (by the pool is ok but through the rest of the halls I mean)

all of the above,plus:
keep your TV/radio as low as possible to hear it. Cabin walls are thin and next door will be able to hear it.
Be quiet when walking thru halls, esp. at night.
Supervise your kids--yes, it's pertty safe, so the tendency is to let them have more freedom--but I got mowed down by some 8 yr olds having fun/chasing each other in the hallway. In the "it takes a village" mode, and sensing that they were good kids, I told them that I didn't want to have to spoil their fun by talking to parents or the front desk and "knew" that wouldn't run anymore and that after 9pm that they were going to not make noise in the halls for a sleeping baby. Delightful boys--no issues after that.
For all kids, esp. teens, reinforce appropriate behavior rules the 1st day--even if other kids are following them.
For a sold-out cruise with over 1000 kids onboard, the Dream was the nicest, most well behaved group we have ever seen. Virtually all of the common manners PP mentioned were observed. have fun. Elaine

I will add my observations. We were on the Magic a few weeks ago. I think I noticed other people's behavior perhaps more than most because I am on crutches. I needed to be aware of my surroundings more than if I were steady on my feet. CMs of course were helpful all the time. Many, many passengers were also helpful: holding elevator doors open, opening other heavy doors... My favorite was a teenage boy I encountered in the elevator who was so helpful and courteous. Honestly I was taken off guard as I wasn't expecting a boy his age to be so mature. That is NOT meant to insult anyone. I rather mean it as a compliment to that particular boy.

Anyway my overall observation was that people were less polite as the cruise went on. It was noticable. It was like the first couple of days we were all getting used to our surroundings and were super polite. By the last two days of our 7 night trip there was more noise, more older kids literally running in the common areas, more people pushing their way.

The rudest thing I saw the whole time was the man who sat down in the middle of a row a couple of rows back in the Walt Disney Theatre and proclaimed in a loud voice that he had every right to sit wherever he wanted because people are not allowed to save seats in the theater. His daughter went to sit in empty seats in a side aisle and kept begging him to join her. Once he vacated the seat, that someone was apparently saving, he continued to rant right up until the show started. He made a fool of himself IMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter