Cruise secrets that DCL doesn't tell you- Part 2

Hi - How do you use the gift cards for your onboard account? How much do they need for my account? And if I don't use it all do I get it back?
Just go to Guest Services once onboard and have the gift cards applied to your account. You can put whatever you want on your onboard account. Things that can be charge to to your onboard account: gratuities, drinks in the bars/lounges, alcoholic drinks, excursions, spa time, nursery time, extra cost dining (Palo/Remy), mixology/tasting classes. If you don't us all your credit, it will be applied back to the gift cards (so keep hold of them after using them).

Our family bought Disney gift cards over a year before our cruise. Usually when we were at Target using our red card. (5% saving on the purchase). When we were on the cruise we charge to our room, drinks, bingo cards, merchandise, port adventures & CM Tips, etc. We budgeted for what we thought we would spend and give in tips. Before the end of the cruise I went down to guest services and paid my outstanding charges with the gift card instead of them being charged to my credit card. With a gift card if there is money left over, the remaining money is still on the gift card.

If you don't want to worry about it on your cruise, you can always just call reservations, and they will happily apply them to your cruise account before you sail. (i think there might be a limit to how many cards they will take at once however, as some have actually paid for the entire cruise with GC).

(Speaking for Port Canaveral) Unless it's your once in a lifetime cruise, don't bother arriving super early unless there are ticketed events you need to get onboard to obtain. Arrive at the terminal after 1:00, usually no line for check in or boarding the ship and your room is ready at 1:30 so you can go straight there, drop off any carry on items and then go have lunch.

Again, unless it's your only cruise where you need to experience everything, ride the AquaDuck on Pirate night after dinner. No line whatsoever. I personally prefer doing this over leaving Castaway Cay early as that is the other best time. I like all the Castaway time I can get! lol

Don't be afraid to ask for something. If you don't find something you like on your menu that night, ask for alternatives. Most of the servers are more than happy to grab you something from another of the restaurants if they can and have time. At the same time, don't abuse that option and if you do ask for something out of the ordinary, please tip them appropriately. If the servers are willing to step up their game for you, please be willing to do the same for them :-) (My personal thoughts and opinions of course.)

Great Advice! My wife and I were hesitant to ask for anything extra, but the crew is amazing and they genuinely want to help make your vacation amazing. Be nice, sincere and reward them for being amazing!

I posted this in my TR already, but for large groups, don't expect to be able to purchase pictures of each other :headache:, even though your cabins are linked :sad2: Shutters Facial Recognition policy resulted in all my group's pictures located in one stateroom account :confused3 :scared1: However, we (my family) were not allowed to buy them :furious: Shutters policy is the only time you can buy photos from another stateroom is if someone from your stateroom is in the photo or if the other cabin (occupants) are your unmarried children. We confirmed that grandparents who are not in the photo with their grandchildren wouldn't be able to buy those photos

I posted this in my TR already, but for large groups, don't expect to be able to purchase pictures of each other :headache:, even though your cabins are linked :sad2: Shutters Facial Recognition policy resulted in all my group's pictures located in one stateroom account :confused3 :scared1: However, we (my family) were not allowed to buy them :furious: Shutters policy is the only time you can buy photos from another stateroom is if someone from your stateroom is in the photo or if the other cabin (occupants) are your unmarried children. We confirmed that grandparents who are not in the photo with their grandchildren wouldn't be able to buy those photos
The more I read about stuff like this and the insane costs, leads me to consider totally boycotting them. For the price of Shutters packages, my son is getting a waterproof camera or go-pro as a bday gift before our trip m

Thank you that is exactly what I wanted to do. Do I go to customer service to add money to his onboard account?
Can you actually put money on your account in advance. Last cruise they would not let me? Maybe policy was changed??

Just go to Guest Services once onboard and have the gift cards applied to your account. You can put whatever you want on your onboard account. Things that can be charge to to your onboard account: gratuities, drinks in the bars/lounges, alcoholic drinks, excursions, spa time, nursery time, extra cost dining (Palo/Remy), mixology/tasting classes. If you don't us all your credit, it will be applied back to the gift cards (so keep hold of them after using them).
Last cruise (2014) they wouldn't do that. It's ok now?

Last cruise (2014) they wouldn't do that. It's ok now?

We sailed in 2014 and had over $500 worth of gift cards that they applied to our account and then returned the cards to us (if there is any money left, it has to go back onto the original card).

I got a number of requests for the document that was made years ago. I opened it to share with everyone so everone could make correction updates to it. Here it is again for everyone to help keep current!!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a_u0v5Px0j7t-3javhWYb81JsuD1zw56YWI3me9fxFs/edit?usp=sharing
A few things I found that need to be fixed/removed/changed.

Bring a pillowcase from home and give that and some markers to guest services when you board. They will have the characters sign it and return it to your room before the end of the cruise.
No longer done.

You can also take a matte for a frame to guest services. We did on the first night and they returned it to our stateroom on the last night signed by all the characters on the ship. I bought an 11"x14" matte with an 8"x10" opening.
No.

For those of you that have U.S. passports. You can leave them with Guest Services (you get a receipt that you must have to get it back), and they will have it stamped at each country you visit. On the last night, you go and pick it back up.
Not sure they still do this. Maybe someone will chime in on whether this is still done.

I love that we can take our own beverages aboard... beer, wine, spirits...
Well, that's changed - only beer or wine now.

because their "ice box" refrigerators are worthless
All ships now have actual refrigerators in the rooms.

I have a small extension cord with 3 outlets since we have so many things to charge these days. (There are not many outlets in the staterooms)
All the ships have had additional outlets added bedside.

We get a case of bottled water and check it as luggage with a luggage tag taped on it. Great for having water on port calls.
All beverages you bring onboard must be carried on now. And the water from the taps onboard is fine for filling refillable water bottles.

You can get a "frequent buyer" punch card at the Cove Cafe and eventually get a free drink. You can use the card for multiple cruises if needed.
It's been reported they've stopped allowing you to carry over the coffee card to later cruises. Don't know if it's actually enforced or not.

A few things I found that need to be fixed/removed/changed.

Bring a pillowcase from home and give that and some markers to guest services when you board. They will have the characters sign it and return it to your room before the end of the cruise.
No longer done.

You can also take a matte for a frame to guest services. We did on the first night and they returned it to our stateroom on the last night signed by all the characters on the ship. I bought an 11"x14" matte with an 8"x10" opening.
No.

For those of you that have U.S. passports. You can leave them with Guest Services (you get a receipt that you must have to get it back), and they will have it stamped at each country you visit. On the last night, you go and pick it back up.
Not sure they still do this. Maybe someone will chime in on whether this is still done.

I love that we can take our own beverages aboard... beer, wine, spirits...
Well, that's changed - only beer or wine now.

because their "ice box" refrigerators are worthless
All ships now have actual refrigerators in the rooms.

I have a small extension cord with 3 outlets since we have so many things to charge these days. (There are not many outlets in the staterooms)
All the ships have had additional outlets added bedside.

We get a case of bottled water and check it as luggage with a luggage tag taped on it. Great for having water on port calls.
All beverages you bring onboard must be carried on now. And the water from the taps onboard is fine for filling refillable water bottles.

You can get a "frequent buyer" punch card at the Cove Cafe and eventually get a free drink. You can use the card for multiple cruises if needed.
It's been reported they've stopped allowing you to carry over the coffee card to later cruises. Don't know if it's actually enforced or not.

Were you able to make the changes??

No. It says "You can only VIEW this document. You must be logged into a Google account to request edit access from the owner"

Oh, I guess that makes sense!! I don't have time to keep making changes so hopefully someone else can make the changes!!

Oh, I guess that makes sense!! I don't have time to keep making changes so hopefully someone else can make the changes!!

I read through and made a line on the stuff I knew had changed. I didn't want to alter the OG document so I thought this was the best way to go. I added some info in parenthesis. Hope that is ok. :)

We have brought our drink of the day cups and beer mugs from previous cruises and were able to use them again on current cruises. At first we would always buy the cup/mug but our collection was getting pretty big...

The more I read about stuff like this and the insane costs, leads me to consider totally boycotting them. For the price of Shutters packages, my son is getting a waterproof camera or go-pro as a bday gift before our trip m
Smart move! I always let the character handlers use my camera for pictures and I never had a problem

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter