Cruise Facebook Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think my cruise (May 19, 2018 Eastern Carribean), has a FE group going on here. This is my first cruise. How is the FE group started and organized? Does someone eventually start one for each cruise/deck, etc...?

To participate in a Fish Extender group, you must sign up at the location you find the FE (whether here or on another site). That's how others know who's participating and how many gifts to provide.

There has been bad information in the past (usually from uninformed TAs) that you just hang up your FE and you'll get gifts. This just isn't true.

Yes this is accurate, you have to join a group on here or FB. Last time I joined with people I found here and this time I'm organizing it with my sailing on FB but I've also posted about it on my sailing through this site.

Call me crazy but I refuse to join a FE group other than here. Disboards is the original and I plan to stick with them. It's way too crazy over there with controlling organizers that call the rules, kick people out at a whim and peoples expectations our set too high. I like it here.

Yes this is accurate, you have to join a group on here or FB. Last time I joined with people I found here and this time I'm organizing it with my sailing on FB but I've also posted about it on my sailing through this site.

It's against Disboards rules to solicit Dis'ers for FB FE.

Call me crazy but I refuse to join a FE group other than here. Disboards is the original and I plan to stick with them. It's way too crazy over there with controlling organizers that call the rules, kick people out at a whim and peoples expectations our set too high. I like it here.

Everyone is free to join whatever group they want, but I don't think the forum in which you sign up has much to do with the behavior of the organizers or members. If I'm not mistaken, the rules just say you can't post links or tips on how to find FB groups. I have a page here I started for my cruise date, but my group is organized through FB. As for me, I don't give the link or hints of any kind. Makes it difficult sometimes because people aren't aware of the rules, but they are what they are.

Everyone is free to join whatever group they want, but I don't think the forum in which you sign up has much to do with the behavior of the organizers or members. If I'm not mistaken, the rules just say you can't post links or tips on how to find FB groups. I have a page here I started for my cruise date, but my group is organized through FB. As for me, I don't give the link or hints of any kind. Makes it difficult sometimes because people aren't aware of the rules, but they are what they are.
My take on that is that it does make a difference. Never saw anyone kicked out of a roll call here because they didn't agree with the organizer, personal conflict etc. You have the boards keeping them in check. I have seen people kicked out of groups on FB. Not me. Friends and yes that is plural.

First time cruiser here.
Tried to join a fe group on the DIS. Was referred by the organizer to fb.

I've got to say it's been a fantastic experience. No drama and no strict fe rules and no kicking people out.

I'd be totally ok with a dis-only group too though ❤️

I join the FB groups. I think it's easier to manage. You ask a question and responses are threaded to that question unlike here where you ask a question and your response may be on page 8. While I never ran into the above poster being kicked out due to over zealous admins I can see the reason why not. The best of both worlds would to have a better organized version here that board moderators can do their thing with

Perhaps there is some sort of "group" plugin for the xenforo software that this site runs that could be installed

Just to avoid confusion, these are the rules about posting on the DIS about Facebook groups:

IMPORTANT!! - Disney Cruise Meet threads - PLEASE READ!!

The DIS has been home to Cruise Meets for many, many years now.

We recognize that there are other options for hosting these discussions, but have begun to receive complaints about the way some of these options have been managed - excluding some members, private forums, argument about who is "in-charge", and meet discussions hosted by people not even on the cruise.

Threads for Disney Cruise Meets (including Fish Extender programs) are welcome here just as they have been since DCL began back in July, 1998.

The DIS continues to be committed to providing a place where Disney Cruise discussions of all types are welcome and encouraged. We will no longer provide opportunity to solicit DIS members for other forums/social media. This includes direct links, "search" instruction, PM and email contact.

Links to Cruise Meet discussion/Fish Extenders other than those on the DIS may not be posted or offered by any other means (PM, email, search directions) and we expect that those who have posted such links/offers will remove them.

In line with other Cruise forums, the DIS Webmasters have instituted a new policy - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=52659395#post52659395

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

And then this:

IMPORTANT!! Policy regarding Cruise Meet and Fish Extender programs.

It has come to our attention that our members have received solicitations to post their information on other sites including Facebook and Google Docs.

We have had complaints from several members that these turned out to be solicitations from travel agencies and other forms of advertising.
We have examined the policy of other cruise forums and have found that they have policies forbidding this.

In order to protect our members the DIS Webmasters have decided to institute a similar policy. Moving forward there will be a new infraction "Attempting to lure DIS members to post private information on other sites". It will be a 40 point violation.

Links to Cruise Meet discussion/Fish Extenders other than those on the DIS may not be posted or offered by any other means (PM, email, "search" directions) and we expect that those who have already posted such links/offers will remove them.

We also encourage DIS members to let us know if they are solicited via private message or any other means. This policy was first posted in early July, 2014 and has seen minimal compliance so additional emphasis is now being placed on the issue.

As always, the safety of our guests is our number one priority.

I don't see anything on this policy preventing any discussion of Facebook groups in general and whether it makes sense to sign up for them. Maybe @AquaDame can clarify?

@michygoomy I have been part of one Facebook group for one of my cruises. It was a closed group, so you had to request to be admitted. This was easy and I did not have to provide any "proof" that I was indeed going on that cruise. Also, anyone who was a member of the group could admit others, not just the administrators. And you could see who was a member of that group. I am sure there are ways on Facebook so that you can limit that others see in which groups you are a member. Personally, I find the Facebook settings difficult though. Also, I got the impression that there people in the group who did not belong there (at least looking at their profiles it was very unlikely, however, who knows, anything on that profile would not have to be true either). There was a discussion about turning the group from closed to private before the cruise. With that no one would be able to find the group and see who was a member of it.

Ultimately, yes, I think there is a risk by taking part in those cruise groups, just like with everything you share on social media. How big that risk is for you individually also depends on how much you share in general on social media and especially on Facebook (is it easy to find out where you live because you often post about where you currently are and have pictures of your house there) and how good you are at dealing with the security settings on Facebook.

After having joined one Facebook group, I have to say that I found out that this is not my cup of tea. I enjoy chatting with people here on the DIS, but I don't need to know a large amount of people on the ship. I also haven't seen a lot of conversation in my group that made me want to become friends with anyone in that group. They were perfectly nice people, but I found the whole discussion not very personal at all, so I did not feel that I got to know the people and therefore would want to spend time with them. We always meet people on every cruise just by chance, chatting at a bar, in the hot tub, at the beach, on an excursion and that is perfectly enough for me. However, others seem to love that experience of having a group of people on board whom they have connected with before. For the pure informational aspect (sharing info about ports and such) I find that the DIS or even cruisecritic is the better resource as there I have a wider group of people to tell me about their experiences.

It's the most common way people get into Fish Extender groups and social events on the ship. I don't post my address on FB or let non-friends look at my postings/profile info (I opt for the most restrictive settings), so I'm not worried about burglers using my FB info to steal from me.
most groups are closed and unless you know what the group is called they are not as easy to find.

most groups are closed and unless you know what the group is called they are not as easy to find.
They are extremely easy to find & join. Type in the name of the ship & sail date in the search bar, & you've found the group. Click "Request to Join" and you'll soon be a member of the closed group. Closed doesn't mean no one else can join, it just means you first must be approved to join.

Last edited:

Not hard at all to find. There are plenty of groups that are cruise related you can join and most of them can direct you on how to find your cruise. The only thing difficult thing is we aren't allowed to even give tips on searching here.

My take on that is that it does make a difference. Never saw anyone kicked out of a roll call here because they didn't agree with the organizer, personal conflict etc. You have the boards keeping them in check. I have seen people kicked out of groups on FB. Not me. Friends and yes that is plural.
Good for you.

And I, on the other hand, have never seen anyone kicked out of a FB group. (wink.) To each his own.

I tend to do both FB and Dis. I also use CC. To be clear to the admins, I am not suggesting others go anywhere else. In fact, most everyone knows that if you want good information about Disney Cruising, this is THE place to be.

The problem I have is that this site is not mobile friendly and is not capable of grouping conversations within a thread. That makes following the sometimes large volume of conversations very difficult if you are not checking every day.

The concerns about posting about your vacation is very real. Most of those FB groups are closed. You cannot view threads or members unless you are a member. Membership must be approved. However, don't let this allow you to be complacent about security. It's still possible to troll the group to look for theft opportunities. However, it is not a likely place for crooks to be honest. Most are not into traveling very far to conduct their business and the nature of such groups make it difficult.

Personally I like the mostly anonymous nature of this forum, but the other issues I mentioned above keep participation in the cruise meet up threads VERY low by comparison.

The FB groups seem to be a lot more active. On our last 4 night cruise, the FB group had over 150 people and hundreds of posts. The thread here ended up being less than 5 pages long.

Last edited:
Good for you.

And I, on the other hand, have never seen anyone kicked out of a FB group. (wink.) To each his own.
I can't wink back unfortunately. I know several. Unless you or your friends experience it, a person will never believe it to be true.

I join and organize on here. Twice I have have had someone sign up here for a person who mostly goes on FB. It worked out once, and once it did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter