Cruise Facebook Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

michygoomy

DIS Veteran
I'm going on my 2nd Disney cruise in April. My 1st cruise was only last August so I got hooked pretty quick.

I didn't realize there were cruise sailings facebook groups until after I came back from my last cruise. Now I'm curious about them. How do people get accepted into one? What are the benefits? Would you be concerned that it's basically and advertisement that I'll be out of the house (I'm pretty google-able). I'm trying to think of the pros and cons before looking into one.

I'm in one for our sailing. It's all people going - meeting each other with like age children, setting up fish extenders, and mixology classes together. I believe though that the word faceb00k is not liked on this thread.

I'm in one for our sailing. It's all people going - meeting each other with like age children, setting up fish extenders, and mixology classes together. I believe though that the word faceb00k is not liked on this thread.
It's the most common way people get into Fish Extender groups and social events on the ship. I don't post my address on FB or let non-friends look at my postings/profile info (I opt for the most restrictive settings), so I'm not worried about burglers using my FB info to steal from me.

It's the most common way people get into Fish Extender groups and social events on the ship. I don't post my address on FB or let non-friends look at my postings/profile info (I opt for the most restrictive settings), so I'm not worried about burglers using my FB info to steal from me.
Do you have to sign up on Facebook to participate in the Fish Extender exchanges or do you just hang a fish extender outside your door? I've read both work, but wasn't sure as I've never participated in one before, but would like to on our next cruise in 2018. Thanks!

Do you have to sign up on Facebook to participate in the Fish Extender exchanges or do you just hang a fish extender outside your door? I've read both work, but wasn't sure as I've never participated in one before, but would like to on our next cruise in 2018. Thanks!
To participate in a Fish Extender group, you must sign up at the location you find the FE (whether here or on another site). That's how others know who's participating and how many gifts to provide.

There has been bad information in the past (usually from uninformed TAs) that you just hang up your FE and you'll get gifts. This just isn't true.

Last edited:
To participate in a Fish Extender group, you must sign up. That's how others know who's participating and how many gifts to provide.

There has been bad information in the past (usually from uninformed TAs) that you just hang up your FE and you'll get gifts. This just isn't true.
Terrific!!!! Thank you so much for the info. I'll get us signed up. :)

You mean we aren't supposed to gift the random people we see that aren't on the FE group? :D
Not at all. There are people who gift FEs who aren't actually signed up on any FE group. But, not a lot, and certainly not on all cruises.

That's called "pixie-dusting".

But, if you want to be sure that you get something in your FE, it's best to actually sign up with a group.

There are thread meet up groups here on the Dis and on other sites as well for those folks not wishing to organize on book de face. As far as I can tell it is just an honor system that you are going on the cruise.

I don't see the allure for thieves however spending time trolling closed facebook groups looking for when people in their area might not be home. But what do I know, I'm not a thief!

I don't see the allure for thieves however spending time trolling closed facebook groups looking for when people in their area might not be home. But what do I know, I'm not a thief!

I would imagine the number of thieves doing that is probably infinitesimal. Most home burglars just go for quick, easy opportunity scores. There are far more of those than the ones who actually case places and do serious planning.

Re: Thievery
But what's becoming more common is people breaking into your car in long term / economy parking, taking your garage door opener and car registration (address) and "breaking" into those homes. And it's best not to post that you are away on vacation on social media. Post all of the great pic's and trip report when you return home. Because you just never know.

You have to sign up. It's a mutual group exchange.

Re: Thievery
But what's becoming more common is people breaking into your car in long term / economy parking, taking your garage door opener and car registration (address) and "breaking" into those homes. And it's best not to post that you are away on vacation on social media. Post all of the great pic's and trip report when you return home. Because you just never know.

I'm parking 2 1/2 hours from my house so that probably wouldn't be as lucrative on my part. :drinking:

I don't even post when I'm on vacation until I'm back. But my facebook name is very google-able which is what worried me. I guess someone in my vicinity would have to luck upon the right group that had someone local in it anyway. My son is going to be home, too, so the house will be occupied.

I would think any random gift would be more than welcomed! Spreading Disney Magic is always good!!
We got a lot of different types of gifts, including some really unique ones that we'll always keep. It was a treat to find different gifts in our fish extender on different days throughout the cruise. I highly recommend it.

If you go to the Cruise Meet sub forum of this forum and find your cruise there is usually an FE thread as part of the meet. http://www.disboards.com/forums/disney-cruise-meets.85/

There has been an FE thread for every cruise I have been on.
Us, also.

Just as a little history - Fish Extenders started on DCL.
HOW DID THIS FISH EXTENDER IDEA GET STARTED?
The idea was the brainstorm of a woman named Debbie For the first Magical sailing through the Panama Canal back in 2005. Debbie thought it would be a fun way for others to exchange gifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!