Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
so that would put WDW on a path for July?
Possibly, but it all depends on numbers. And with FL opening back up, that could change. Eight weeks after WDW closure would be late May, but since they have started canceling reservations through the 23rd, I think, it doesn't look like it will be anytime in May.

An extremely third party person (friend of a relative that is high up in park operations) has told us that right now WDW is preparing for 8/1 open and DL for 1/1/21. They indicated that this was influenced by local govt: FLA gov wants to open CA not so much. Person was not sure this would be announced today. Thought it was more likely statement made about no opening date being set yet would stand. For what it’s worth. Which is admittedly not much. It does make sense to me and seems consistent but who knows. Would they withhold that timeline from investors?

An extremely third party person (friend of a relative that is high up in park operations) has told us that right now WDW is preparing for 8/1 open and DL for 1/1/21. They indicated that this was influenced by local govt: FLA gov wants to open CA not so much. Person was not sure this would be announced today. Thought it was more likely statement made about no opening date being set yet would stand. For what it’s worth. Which is admittedly not much. It does make sense to me and seems consistent but who knows. Would they withhold that timeline from investors?

They most likely will give a general guidance saying they are working with local governments to open safely, within the phases system, not ready to put a date on it. I would say the dates you gave are their worst case scenerios they are working with, and are pushing for much sooner. The good news though, even without an announcement there will be plenty of things in the call to give us at least 100 more pages of speculating ;)

Setting a timeline for 1/1/21 is far riskier than the summer given the likely reemergence of the virus in the winter. Theres no way they could say that in 7 months we’ll be in any better of a position than they would be if they opened in July, or August. There have been countless rumors stemming from a friend of a friend of a relative that spoke to a magic genie that knows Bob Iger’s niece’s best friend. Theres a better chance that none of the 100 rumors of reopening dates are true than any one of them

They might have gone bankrupt even without the pandemic, no surprise.

I agree. The pandemic is going to rush the inevitable for some companies. Many of the ones facing bankruptcy were already doing so this will just get them to file sooner than later. And while I hate that it means jobs are gone it is good to weed out the poorly operating companies so new growth can come.

Not sure that we can make any kind of comparisons between how long Shanghai was closed to how long WDW will be closed.

Agreed. Its two completely different situations, in 2 very different countries with very, very different laws. Outlines of in park experiences such as 6ft markers in queues is probably the closest comparison you’ll find between the Asian parks and the US parks.

This rumor is in-line with the one from WDWMagic posted on the Earnings Call thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter