Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prob won't make one bit of difference, but it makes me feel better to have sent a complaint email about the loss of SOTMK.
SOTMK is one of those little magic touches that makes Disney Disney. It's geared for kids, it's cute, and it's free. It's a great way to avoid lines if crowds are too large, and a great way to see park details you'd miss otherwise. Very sad they continue to do away with these special things.

I saw the writing on the wall for this during our Christmas trip. It’s in the way of lines in a few spots and just doesn’t draw enough attention to give enough people something to do. My son loves it and we’ll be sad to see it go.

Well yeah if you stick something non main stream off in a corner and give it no advertising, it doesnt usually get much attention.

This would be useless for us. My kids want to collect tangible things, not virtual.

Yeah, virtual rewards sound pretty boring. Even Agent P lost some of the fun when we had to use our own phones. It's fun to collect little items at WDW...pressed pennies, passport stamps, etc. We've never done SOTMK, so I can't say that I will miss it. But, I can earn 'exclusive achievements through virtual interactions' at home. Now I understand why our childhood neighbor was always yelling us to get off his lawn.

Yeah, virtual rewards sound pretty boring. Even Agent P lost some of the fun when we had to use our own phones. It's fun to collect little items at WDW...pressed pennies, passport stamps, etc. We've never done SOTMK, so I can't say that I will miss it. But, I can earn 'exclusive achievements through virtual interactions' at home. Now I understand why our childhood neighbor was always yelling us to get off his lawn.

Yes! We did pressed pennies and pin-trading for the first time last trip, and honestly, they talk about doing that more than the rides, characters etc... If you ask them about that trip, they always rush off to show you their pennies and pins and regale you with the stories of how they got this or that. It really added a new level to the trip.

Even I enjoy collecting pressed pennies more than the rides. WDW is about family time for us.

Yes, same. Fun story: yesterday in an effort to get my children to "write" without complaint (homeschool), I gave them the assignment of, "Plan our next family vacation". One of the questions I asked them to consider was, "If we have to travel a long distance to our destination, would you prefer to fly or drive?" Our daughter's answer was, "Drive, so we can spend more time together". ♥

(Though admittedly a little piece of me groaned as a 4 hour flight to Florida really is more enjoyable than a 28 hour drive 🤣 )

SOTMK is one of those little magic touches that makes Disney Disney. It's geared for kids, it's cute, and it's free. It's a great way to avoid lines if crowds are too large, and a great way to see park details you'd miss otherwise. Very sad they continue to do away with these special things.
I agree completely - take away all these things and you have an amusement park, not a theme park. We loved Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. During one trip, we specifically made time to do just that. Our last trip was shorter and we didn't have an opportunity. We'd have taken the time if we'd known it was going away.

Yes, same. Fun story: yesterday in an effort to get my children to "write" without complaint (homeschool), I gave them the assignment of, "Plan our next family vacation". One of the questions I asked them to consider was, "If we have to travel a long distance to our destination, would you prefer to fly or drive?" Our daughter's answer was, "Drive, so we can spend more time together". ♥

(Though admittedly a little piece of me groaned as a 4 hour flight to Florida really is more enjoyable than a 28 hour drive 🤣 )

I've never really done the lesser known activities/attractions (like the penny squash). I was (and still are) too enthralled with the technology of the rides. Growing up, it was a rare treat for a child (often by myself) to fly from the NE to Florida.

In my youth, it was always a commando visit for me since my Dad "worked" every spring for MLB and didn't have time for a multi-day visit.

I find it interesting that maybe the pandemic is sort of reinvigorating other activities at WDW that wouldn't have been on the radar.

I think the no park hopping, along with no advertising, really hurt SOTMK. When you can only go to one park per day you're not going to "waste" a park day on it. We used to spend part of the day doing SOTMK and then hop somewhere else. The short hours also don't help at all. Just isn't time for it. I also think no FP hurt it. YOu could play while waiting for you FP but now that you have to wait in a long line for a ride, no time left.

These types of losses really make it clear that the "magic" of WDW is certainly unique to each individual.

We didn't even know this existed, so losing this game has no impact on our magic. For example, for us part of the magic is staying at the resorts, while for others, they never stay at WDW resorts and still feel the magic. :)

I think the no park hopping, along with no advertising, really hurt SOTMK. When you can only go to one park per day you're not going to "waste" a park day on it. We used to spend part of the day doing SOTMK and then hop somewhere else. The short hours also don't help at all. Just isn't time for it. I also think no FP hurt it. YOu could play while waiting for you FP but now that you have to wait in a long line for a ride, no time left.

I don't disagree with any of that, but still seems odd then for them to have had it in place for up to this point, and now say it will be gone forever

Seems like not a "the current conditions are impact this so we will pause it" thing and more of a "we are evaluating things that don't have direct cash inflow impact and removing them" thing

These types of losses really make it clear that the "magic" of WDW is certainly unique to each individual. :)

We didn't even know this existed, so losing this game has no impact on our magic.

right, but this is just one of the things being removed ... what if the next thing is something you care very much about but others didn't realize it existed?

It usually isn't any one thing, but a trend it may signify that is more my concern

right, but this is just one of the things being removed ... what if the next thing is something you care very much about but others didn't realize it existed?

It usually isn't any one thing, but a trend it may signify that is more my concern

Then we give that sage advice that comes up regularly: "vote with your wallet." ;)

I never understand why people try to convince others that the magic is leaving. I get that it is for you or others and I understand/wouldn't try to convince you otherwise.

But it isn't for me, which was the point of my post, and what we find magical, I just don't see going away. Maybe because we only go every few years.

Once I posted what we found to be "magic" for us and had everyone telling me I was wrong! 😂

Then we give that sage advice that comes up regularly: "vote with your wallet." ;)

yup, and I think more and more people are

we are 99% sure we are canceling our Spring vacation and I am contemplating adding a Universal segment to our scheduled October vacation

Of course just me doing that is meaningless, but as more and more people do this, and are less "loyal" to Disney it will impact them at some point

I never understand why people try to convince others that the magic is leaving. I get that it is for you or others and I understand/wouldn't try to convince you otherwise.

But it isn't for me, which was the point of my post, and what we find magical, I just don't see going away. Maybe because we only go every few years.

Once I posted what we found to be "magic" for us and had everyone telling me I was wrong! 😂

I am not trying to convince you it is leaving - just putting out there that if it is something you didn't know about/care about leaving of course you won't be impacted by that specific move. But at some point their might be something that does impact you

and this does impact others and why they are feeling the way they do

yup, and I think more and more people are

we are 99% sure we are canceling our Spring vacation and I am contemplating adding a Universal segment to our scheduled October vacation

Of course just me doing that is meaningless, but as more and more people do this, and are less "loyal" to Disney it will impact them at some point

Just remember that people will always be making that first trip and they would never have known about SOTMK. And they will have a good time.

And I love Wizarding World, but I could leave the rest of Universal. Just give me Hard Rock Hotel and WW. I'm good with that. Anyone looking for "magic" outside of those lands might be disappointed.

Just remember that people will always be making that first trip and they would never have known about SOTMK. And they will have a good time.

And I love Wizarding World, but I could leave the rest of Universal. Just give me Hard Rock Hotel and WW. I'm good with that. Anyone looking for "magic" outside of those lands might be disappointed.

I do like Seuss Landing! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter