Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just returned from a 9 day CR stay .I thought all temp check/security checks/limited restaurant seating/social distancing went smoothly. We have been to Disney numerous times so most changes didn’t bother us. We ate at 16 TS and felt comfortable at all of them . I thought tables were nicely spaced and servers were fantastic. CM were terrific , loved the new surprises of pop up parades and character sightings. The pool was patrolled and chair cleaning was constantly occurring. We didn’t mind the less housekeeping visits .
It was astounding how empty the parks were. Loved the empty buses too. This was definitely a different vacation for us but by far the most fabulous we have had. Riding our favorite rides multiple times because they were walk on was very memorable.
Hand gel was plentiful and masks were bearable in the heat . Out of nine days only once did I read hot for a temp on a return to MK late in the afternoon heat for a TS. They checked behind my ear and I was fine.
The CM’s were extremely pleasant.
CR was wonderful, only the coffee shop was closed. All other food options were open .
We order groceries from GG which bell service held and then delivered to our room .

Can I ask how we know or why we're so sure they're not increasing capacity.
I think for one thing they aren't even filling it up with the capacity they currently have set. On most days they still have plenty of availability in almost all parks (sometimes not HS) for both general admission and resort guests, the only "bucket" that fills up on the daily is APs. It doesn't make sense to up capacity, nor does it matter if they do, when they aren't even getting enough people in to fill up all the categories of park passes.

I think for one thing they aren't even filling it up with the capacity they currently have set. On most days they still have plenty of availability in almost all parks (sometimes not HS) for both general admission and resort guests, the only "bucket" that fills up on the daily is APs. It doesn't make sense to up capacity, nor does it matter if they do, when they aren't even getting enough people in to fill up all the categories of park passes.

I dont understand why they need to fill the buckets before increasing capacity? If they increase capacity tomorrow, it wont matter until people come, as you stated. They’ll increase capacity when theyre ready and approved to, I doubt theyre going to wait until the buckets fill up. They’re not going to announce theyre raising capacity either, it’ll just happen one day.

I’m sure APs would be happy if they increased capacity, especially since they can now only go to 3 parks until mid-September

I dont understand why they need to fill the buckets before increasing capacity? If they increase capacity tomorrow, it wont matter until people come, as you stated. They’ll increase capacity when theyre ready and approved to, I doubt theyre going to wait until the buckets fill up. They’re not going to announce theyre raising capacity either, it’ll just happen one day.

I’m sure APs would be happy if they increased capacity, especially since they can now only go to 3 parks until mid-September
I was just saying it doesn't matter if they do because they aren't even meeting their set capacity as it is right now. We wouldn't even know if they did at this point, that's all I was saying, it's a moot point.

I was just saying it doesn't matter if they do because they aren't even meeting their set capacity as it is right now. We wouldn't even know if they did at this point, that's all I was saying, it's a moot point.

It does kind of matter though. APs (locals, mostly) aren’t exactly happy about the bucket situation. So if capacity were to increase, it would at least give them a chance to get a couple extra DHS days rather than using one or more of their three days a month from now.

Technically you are right, theyre not hitting capacity at the other 3 parks, so adding capacity wouldn’t matter. But why wait until the buckets fill up at every park until you increase capacity? We could be looking at Spring 2021 until they hit capacity at the non-DHS parks. So theyre not going to increase the capacity until then? Just because they increase it doesn’t mean they need to fill it. Its an extra cushion just in case they see a sudden pop in attendance.

All of this is irrelevant since Florida still hasn’t made it to a point where increasing capacity is wise.

It does kind of matter though. APs (locals, mostly) aren’t exactly happy about the bucket situation. So if capacity were to increase, it would at least give them a chance to get a couple extra DHS days rather than using one or more of their three days a month from now.

Technically you are right, theyre not hitting capacity at the other 3 parks, so adding capacity wouldn’t matter. But why wait until the buckets fill up at every park until you increase capacity? We could be looking at Spring 2021 until they hit capacity at the non-DHS parks. So theyre not going to increase the capacity until then? Just because they increase it doesn’t mean they need to fill it. Its an extra cushion just in case they see a sudden pop in attendance.

All of this is irrelevant since Florida still hasn’t made it to a point where increasing capacity is wise.
The cost of increasing capacity is more important though. If they increase capacity that would mean they need to probably add more hours to the parks and bring back more CM'S. Judging by not just what Disney is doing but Universal with then closing hotels, financially it doesn't make sense.

But Disney also wants to bring in people who spend more money (rooms, tickets, all/most of their meals), if the parks start filling up and getting more full/crowded then a lot of people are going to feel super uncomfortable coming. They know people will only go if they feel safe, and a more "full" park doesn't scream safety to most people. If people don't feel safe they don't come, and they don't bring their money, which is what Disney really wants and needs right now. The last two days I've been covered up in insta stories from Disney on Instagram highlighting people at the parks showing how safe it is, how uncrowded it is, they are really hitting those points hard and increasing capacity really doesn't go along with that narrative.

The cost of increasing capacity is more important though. If they increase capacity that would mean they need to probably add more hours to the parks and bring back more CM'S. Judging by not just what Disney is doing but Universal with then closing hotels, financially it doesn't make sense.

How does preparing not make sense financially? Just because you add capacity doesn’t mean you have to make immediate changes to the parks. They still have a very good gauge of how many guests they’ll have on a given day with the reservations. As long as they know beforehand around how many guests are going to enter the park, you can plan accordingly. A capacity number doesn’t mean immediately increasing park hours, or adding CMs. It just means that they CAN fit more guests. If they see more people coming in through the reservations, they can adjust the hours again, and bring CMs in. It’s honestly not as difficult as its being made out to be

How does preparing not make sense financially? Just because you add capacity doesn’t mean you have to make immediate changes to the parks. They still have a very good gauge of how many guests they’ll have on a given day with the reservations. As long as they know beforehand around how many guests are going to enter the park, you can plan accordingly. A capacity number doesn’t mean immediately increasing park hours, or adding CMs. It just means that they CAN fit more guests. If they see more people coming in through the reservations, they can adjust the hours again, and bring CMs in. It’s honestly not as difficult as its being made out to be
Why even worry about that when they can't fill the capacity now. I can see if every bucket was full every day. Other then the AP holders, who they have already acknowledged aren't as big spenders, parks aren't full. I honestly don't them increasing capacity til they see the resort reservations start filling. Which at this rate could be a long while.

But Disney also wants to bring in people who spend more money (rooms, tickets, all/most of their meals), if the parks start filling up and getting more full/crowded then a lot of people are going to feel super uncomfortable coming. They know people will only go if they feel safe, and a more "full" park doesn't scream safety to most people. If people don't feel safe they don't come, and they don't bring their money, which is what Disney really wants and needs right now. The last two days I've been covered up in insta stories from Disney on Instagram highlighting people at the parks showing how safe it is, how uncrowded it is, they are really hitting those points hard and increasing capacity really doesn't go along with that narrative.

That’s why its called a “Phased Reopening”. They’re not going to go from ~10,000 guest capacity to ~30,000 at DHS over night and let things get out of control. It’ll be a few thousand at a time. As I said, eventually theyre going to increase the capacity, and I’d bet money on it being before everyone in the country is comfortable with being around crowds of people. I hope those people in IG aren’t thinking that Disney is going to be “uncrowded” forever. Its going to go back to being busy. Not tomorrow, not next week, but it will be back to pre-pandemic crowds. Enjoy the empty parks, but dont get too used to them. The crowds now are much different than what they were a month ago today. They might be less this time next month than they are right now. But a hypothetical capacity number increasing only means more potential dollars for them. Worst case? They make the same amount they would without increasing the capacity

Why even worry about that when they can't fill the capacity now. I can see if every bucket was full every day. Other then the AP holders, who they have already acknowledged aren't as big spenders, parks aren't full. I honestly don't them increasing capacity til they see the resort reservations start filling. Which at this rate could be a long while.

What do they have to lose by increasing capacity? They can only gain, not lose. That’s why you increase capacity. Regardless of who it is that comes through the turnstiles, APs still spend money in the parks, not as much as non-APs, but its not like they go in, ride rides, and leave without spending a dime. Opening up resorts that are closed without demand is one thing. But its a no lose situation to increase capacity. When they’re ready, and they’re approved, they will increase capacity whether the buckets fill or not.

That’s why its called a “Phased Reopening”. They’re not going to go from ~10,000 guest capacity to ~30,000 at DHS over night and let things get out of control. It’ll be a few thousand at a time. As I said, eventually theyre going to increase the capacity, and I’d bet money on it being before everyone in the country is comfortable with being around crowds of people. I hope those people in IG aren’t thinking that Disney is going to be “uncrowded” forever. Its going to go back to being busy. Not tomorrow, not next week, but it will be back to pre-pandemic crowds. Enjoy the empty parks, but dont get too used to them. The crowds now are much different than what they were a month ago today. They might be less this time next month than they are right now. But a hypothetical capacity number increasing only means more potential dollars for them. Worst case? They make the same amount they would without increasing the capacity
That's some wishful thinking you have. Parks are only busier as they have let more AP holders in who don't spend as much as resort guests who aren't coming. I disagree that parks are going to return to bring busy soon. It has nothing to do with Covid cases. Its more going to do with the fact we are in a ression and many people are out of jobs.

As far as increasing capacity. Why do it when they can't fill the capacity they have set? IMO you increase capacity when demand is there.

That's some wishful thinking you have. Parks are only busier as they have let more AP holders in who don't spend as much as resort guests who aren't coming. I disagree that parks are going to return to bring busy soon. It has nothing to do with Covid cases. Its more going to do with the fact we are in a ression and many people are out of jobs.

As far as increasing capacity. Why do it when they can't fill the capacity they have set? IMO you increase capacity when demand is there.

Who said theyre going to return to being busy soon?

Why would you increase capacity when the buckets are filled? By then its already too late. You’re telling people no at the gates even though you can fit more people in. You cant change the capacity with a days notice. You increase the capacity so your CMs are prepared for when more people do show up. That’s like saying I should only put gas in my car when its on empty. As long as I can make it to where I need to go, why put more gas in my car than I need, right? 🤦‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter