Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad. My family members volunteer there....and know some kids that have had experiences there.

I keep reading about "when there is a vaccine" or "until there is a vaccine"

There is NO guarantee of this said vaccine, and even when...or if there is....no guarantee everyone will want it or take it. I know many, some in the pharma world, that have said they will NOT take a vaccine that has only been tested for ________months...or 1 year or whatever.

I think we need to pause on the vaccine talk. Its not on the table at this point. Not saying you were...just in general.
Your words are in exact parallel with all the reality of the situation, and the response I was making to the PP. Trials might be going well, but we’d all be in a massive phase 3 trial if it’s available late 2020 or early 2021.
I’d be willing to submit as a trial bunny, but I’m an otherwise healthy young-ish adult in a high risk work environment with family members at home who shouldn’t be vaccinated right away, until more data is available.

In U.K. we’re still waiting for them to formally cancel our DDP. We all saw the updates on their site which prompted loads of U.K. customers to call them, CM just tell us they still don’t know what is happening with UK DDP and to wait for an email which never comes. Some CM say U.K. will keep DDP, some say not. This all kicked off end of May and we still don’t know anything. They had the cheek to send all U.K. customers an email asking us not to call them anymore as they had no information to give us yet. I expected much better communication as a minimum.

All caught up again.

Budget cutbacks are def a thing - a few resorts may not open for weeks or months - they are waiting to see how demand is going to be among the general population (those aside from the Disney diehards on the various message boards) Many travel blogs and travel insider media is predicting a slow return to travel for the near future.

fireworks.. an easy way for Disney to save allot of money. - each fireworks show runs between $45,000 and $55,000 which translates to 15 to 20 million a year. My guess is since it’s a big way to cover budget losses... fireworks may for a while be “special events” or special occasion events.

Lots of talk about getting WDW back to normal.. but with Bob Chapek at the helm it could be awhile. In some of the interviews he did during the reopening of Shanghai and around the time of the Shareholder call.. I recall him saying they hoped to hit 50% capacity by the end of 2020 - with a goal of 75% by next spring. Chapek being the “numbers guy” he will be focusing on stopping the financial hemorrhaging and watching the expenses as he offers a modified experience for the next while. As Remy has mentioned a few times - go with an open mind and expectations in check for the time being.
My feeling - for everything disney takes away.. there will be something that takes it’s place - they will move mountains within the confines and restrictions to please the consumers. It’s what they do.

I’m sad to hear about GAKTW 🙁. Another casualty in this whole covid mess.

Last edited:
I will say that with some local festivals, fireworks, parades, etc. that have been canceled, it had to do more with the time and resources it takes to plan rather than COVID-19 itself. Meetings could not be held, sponsorships could not be obtained, vendors were unavailable to book. It was related indirectly to COVID-19 because of stay-at-home orders and businesses being closed rather than directly related to transmission.

I used to hear or see fireworks every night. It’s been 3 months, and my family back home have had TWO huge fireworks shows in the new baseball stadium that now will probably rot and never be used.
I don't buy this theory at all. Fireworks is such a huge part of MK.

If they were trying to cut down on fireworks, why even bother with launching Epcot Forever (with fireworks) and a beefier one upcoming (Harmonious) with even more expected fireworks?

And they ADDED fireworks to HEA from the amount Wishes had, when we thought it was going to be a reduction. Killing the MK fireworks would be a "last straw" for me. They are essential and the most Disney thing there and it's something Walt always wanted. All the shows at DHS are garbage IMO. Lasers and projections can not compete with fireworks.

Plus, lets be real. Fireworks are not that expensive to a company like Disney. If minor league baseball teams can have them multiple times a season, and small cities can put on huge extravaganzas, there is no way the pyro used at Disney isn't a drop in the bucket to their daily operating costs. Fireworks are cheap. Anyone can set them off. Writing and directing a show like HAE and writing an amazing song is not cheap. Obviously that overhead is a one time cost compared to the daily cost of the fireworks. I would guess HAE costed at least a few million to make. The fireworks they shoot off each night are probably closed to 50k. That's a dollar per guest. Please, raise my ticket prices by 10x that before you even consider cutting them.

Fireworks is something pretty much any entertainment entity and city in the world does, Disney would look extremely cheap if they removed them. I would consider it embarrassing.

Last edited:
And maybe people will be more amenable to grabbing food from booths and finding a bench or railing to lean on to eat at outside than sit inside at restaurants in relatively confined spaces?

"To ensure property social distance at the 2020 Food and Wine Festival, they will be more trash cans than ever for you to put your food on and get that proper food photo!"

The bars are new. I know Hanger Bar is new.

so excited that Hangar Bar will be open while we are there before the parks open. It’s a great place to relax and enjoy a cocktail.

Keep waiting to see California Grill on one of these lists. Have I missed it?
California grill is a signature restaurant and none of those are opening during the initial DVC opening period.

so excited that Hangar Bar will be open while we are there before the parks open. It’s a great place to relax and enjoy a cocktail.

Agree. Normally the day I drive up after I get my luggafge unloaded I go to hanger bar for a drink though last drink went to edison which was fun too. But it is a relaxing place to have a drink after a long drive.

I just don’t see any data points that lead to a conclusion that Disney wants to permanently eliminate fireworks.
Very good points -- just jaded at that removal of the night parade with no replacement.

It is more just speculation on my part that some penny pincher management will see the fireworks beings closed and see how much money they are saving every night. That person may then push to cut a cost there.

I don't know .. but what I am saying is . .we could be entering a phase of the parks where the penny pincher's decisions take precedent over guest satisfaction -- especially if guests come back enough in the numbers they want. I just fear some things we've gotten used to for decades could go away (and hey . .maybe replaced by something different/better).

Agree. Normally the day I drive up after I get my luggafge unloaded I go to hanger bar for a drink though last drink went to edison which was fun too. But it is a relaxing place to have a drink after a long drive.

I have found they have good bartenders there that are good to talk to. One used to be a bartender at the Adventurers Club and has some good stories to share!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter