Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it been said on here that the next wave of CMs was supposed to arrive on May 15th..correct? If that is the case then a 2 week training with a resort soft open a few days before the parks open could be what WDW is hoping for in a best case scenario.

I expect any preliminary resort soft openings will be measured in weeks, not days.

With regard to the projections to the day of a specific peak date, I am calling hogwash.

This is an unknown disease, a totally unique event (black swan event) and we are taking unprecedented steps in American history to slow the spread of this in ways that were unfathomable in 1918. No one knows what rapid testing availability will be like in a week or month - gamechanger. No one knows how rapidly the hydrochloroquine will have large enough supplies, or even if long term that is a solution - potential gamechanger.

Could the models be right? Maybe. Could you be right by throwing a dart at a calendar? Also maybe.

I would just book the trip you want to take, hope for the best, but in terms of using those modelings to make precise predictions about things and plan your travel schedule around that - that is putting too much faith in something that is suspect at best.

I believe it been said on here that the next wave of CMs was supposed to arrive on May 15th..correct? If that is the case then a 2 week training with a resort soft open a few days before the parks open could be what WDW is hoping for in a best case scenario.

International cast members most likely will not be able to enter the country May 15th or the rest of May for that matter, so that could hold things up a bit

I would imagine it all depends. They obviously can’t leave the entirety of future world ripped up and behind walls forever. At the same time though the grand plans they had may not happen anytime soon.

Actually I think the news of de-funding of some of these projects is a very good thing under the circumstances. Probably allows the castmembers to get paid longer, plus continunig the other projects shows the there is good news and progress, things moving forward.

I've been keeping up with this thread for the most part but quick question: I cancelled our resort stay for end of April, but had already bought a memory maker. Will that get refunded if the official cancel dates extend through then or do I have to call? I assume our tickets will just go into a "hold" status or something (they were date specific) and I don't have to move them right now, correct? I have no idea when we'll go back at this point.

With regard to the projections to the day of a specific peak date, I am calling hogwash.

This is an unknown disease, a totally unique event (black swan event) and we are taking unprecedented steps in American history to slow the spread of this in ways that were unfathomable in 1918. No one knows what rapid testing availability will be like in a week or month - gamechanger. No one knows how rapidly the hydrochloroquine will have large enough supplies, or even if long term that is a solution - potential gamechanger.

Could the models be right? Maybe. Could you be right by throwing a dart at a calendar? Also maybe.

I would just book the trip you want to take, hope for the best, but in terms of using those modelings to make precise predictions about things and plan your travel schedule around that - that is putting too much faith in something that is suspect at best.
Noone knows anything for certain but if you live in a particular area there are certain assumptions that can be made based on current information. We shall see.

I've been keeping up with this thread for the most part but quick question: I cancelled our resort stay for end of April, but had already bought a memory maker. Will that get refunded if the official cancel dates extend through then or do I have to call? I assume our tickets will just go into a "hold" status or something (they were date specific) and I don't have to move them right now, correct? I have no idea when we'll go back at this point.
Date specific tickets if not a discover disney ticket is extended through december 15th if you wont be here before december 15th the value of a wholly unused ticket can be applied to a ticket at a later date.
Memory maker is non refundable but there is no expiration date on it so it can be used at any point.

This is per a CM in ecommerce working in my house. Lol

Actually I think the news of de-funding of some of these projects is a very good thing under the circumstances. Probably allows the castmembers to get paid longer, plus continunig the other projects shows the there is good news and progress, things moving forward.
Delaying Spaceship Earth is a very good thing..
They are barely getting away with the number of rides they have now.

We are flying from the UK to the parks 19th August this year for our honeymoon.

Almost certain we won't be going. Once it gets cancelled I will probably book same time next year.

We are flying from the UK to the parks 19th August this year for our honeymoon.

Almost certain we won't be going. Once it gets cancelled I will probably book same time next year.

You still got a shot for August...

Just something I heard and can pass along to go with this since the news has been released now. The space restaurant will also be defunded, play place put on hold, revamp of spaceship earth delayed, harmonious delayed, uk dark ride defunded cancelled for now, star wars hotel defunded. Priority projects ratatouille, tron, gotg, and epcot spine. Moana is cheap and can be done.
I thought the space restaurant was almost ready to open.

I agree with all on the list (plus Moana replaces the existing fountain so I think they want *something* water related) .... only questionable thing to me is I agree with @Lewisc that I thought Space 220 was pretty close to opening - plus restaurants bring in $ so I would think Disney would be willing to put some $ there to get it open

Delaying Spaceship Earth is a very good thing..
They are barely getting away with the number of rides they have now.

at least until Guardians and Rat are open- then I think a smaller scaled project just to give SSE some TLC I think would be good

I agree with all on the list (plus Moana replaces the existing fountain so I think they want *something* water related) .... only questionable thing to me is I agree with @Lewisc that I thought Space 220 was pretty close to opening - plus restaurants bring in $ so I would think Disney would be willing to put some $ there to get it open
Agreed but it was on the list I was told about and wasnt given reasons for decisions. They want to funnel as much money as they can to immediate need projects and with all the restaurants currently in epcot and whatever was left to spend at that location it may have been a temporary give to get and it ends up being one of the projects that is finished with any money left over. I was told they will not cut corners costs with any of the 4 projects they want completed asap and other things will have to wait.

I can see the temp cut of funding for the restaurant if Disney is planning for a major downturn. You wont need as many restraunts and you wont have to look for staffing right away. So you can keep your staffing requirement down, and dont have to run yet another restraunt which depending on the economic fall out wont be full of reservations. Even with Free Dinning Disney might be expecting a much different park level at least for the rest of the year. Even if we have super fast recovery of the economy, unless the government actually gurantees everyone who is losing there job the same amount of money they would have been making this year, there is going to be less domestic guests. As for international guests, especially with the Brexit end not being delayed and the already bad effects that has had on the UK economy plus now Covid I can see alot of European Visitors now chosing to save there money and travel domestically if they can or at least within the EU in itself, if they need a Disney fix DLP is much closer and cheaper than WDW is. I wonder what projects at DLP will be scrapped they really needed to invest in there studios park pretty badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter