Crowds Jan 2-4

Discussion in 'Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums' started by happymomof1, Sep 12, 2018.

1. happymomof1

happymomof1 DIS Veteran

WDW veteran trying out Universal for the first time just after the New Year. What will crowds be like on 2nd -4th? Schools will be out but im assuming some people will have to be back at work. What will it be like? Also, trying to decide if staying at a premium would be worth it for use of unlimited express. Hotel cost is $300 more per night but would include the passes. ($290 per night vs $600 per night---crazy rates!
    Anyone do these dates and remember what some of the ride waits were? Thanks for your help!

2. macraven

macraven Proud Redhead Moderator

I have gone twice the end of first week of January before and found the crowds are still there

Crowd levels drop maybe on the 7th if that date is not the weekend

But I stayed at rpr and had no issues with ride lines as had the express pass

3. J Runs Disney

J Runs Disney Earning My Ears

We went last year Jan. 4th-6th. It was extremely crowded in the afternoons with wait times over 2-3 hours on more popular rides such as Gringotts, Minions & Kong and long lines for food. We had express passes, took advantage of the early entrance & avoided the popular rides in the afternoon. With the express passes we usually waited 15-40 minutes. We got a good rate at Royal Pacific w/Florida Resident Rate -around $250 per night. Annual passholders also get discounted rates. Based on my experience this year I would avoid going during that time if you don't like crowds & don't have express. Crowds were much better during our March, June and September visits.