Credit for Mousekeeping Rumor

I rarely let them in my room anyway. Most of the time we keep the do not disturb sign up and ask for new towels and toiletries when they come by.

Any word on whether this is still being offered? We are visiting in November and trying to keep an eye on it. Like many other posters, we would be good with fresh towels and toilet paper every other day and save the gift card for souveniers/tips/drinks/etc.

I wonder what happens if you need a spill cleaned up? I suppose that they'll charge that daily fee to your room.

I saw a comment elsewhere that the traveler would be glad to wash their own sheets in the onsite laundry. That gave me a bit of a jolt.

I'm personally glad that we like offsite too. I'm leery of where this might be heading.

(I've only read the first and last page.)

I could definitely see this happening.

Quoted from the link:
It is a common practice these days for hotel chains to offer some sort of compensation for not taking advantage of housecleaning services. They promote this practice as a way of being environmental friendly but of course, it also leads to less of a need for human resources.

We just went on a trip last week, and one of the hotels we stayed in offered a $5 credit toward any of their food services for each night that we put a card on the door stating we didn't need maid service. (The gift certificate was slipped under the door early enough to use for breakfast.)

Just as the article mentioned, it was billed as an environmental thing (which I've seen before, but without the credit).

...There just isn't much for someone to do in our rooms but swap out towels and empty the garbage...

I wish there was an option for just that. I really like the idea of saving water by keeping our sheets and towels for a few days (I don't change them every day at home, so why do I need to on vacation?) but I definitely want fresh washcloths and the trash emptied!

Local Union FB Post
Looks like the test is over and not coming back.

UNITE HERE Central Florida
13 mins ·

Disney's "Service Your Way" at All Star Music is ending! The program offers guests financial incentives to decline service - reducing schedules for Housekeepers and resulting in messier rooms and heavier workloads when guests check out. Sticking together works! Let's make sure this program doesn't come back...

I've been thinking about this and have to wonder if there comes a point that there are to many hotel rooms and just not enough housekeepers. Look at all the hotels that Universal has just added on with more to come. Disney has also been adding DVC buildings and Orlando seemed to have lots of construction going on when I was there last fall. Will there come a point in time when there are just not enough bodies to fill the spots that all this building is creating?

I've been thinking about this and have to wonder if there comes a point that there are to many hotel rooms and just not enough housekeepers. Look at all the hotels that Universal has just added on with more to come. Disney has also been adding DVC buildings and Orlando seemed to have lots of construction going on when I was there last fall. Will there come a point in time when there are just not enough bodies to fill the spots that all this building is creating?

Disney is always hiring housekeeping and right now there is a signing bonus of $500 so valid point.

Imagine now possibly less days due to lack of daily service but on days you work the rooms are really dirty.

Disney is always hiring housekeeping and right now there is a signing bonus of $500 so valid point.

Imagine now possibly less days due to lack of daily service but on days you work the rooms are really dirty.

"We're going to cut your hours from 40 per week to 30, but work you twice as hard during those 30." The only winners are the company. It's not like they're going to pass the monetary savings on to the customer.

WDW would definitely get that back. The workforce will just flat LEAVE if they reduced and make the needed labor undesirable. It's already happening. WDW will make it happen. If they can in Vegas, they can in central FL, right?

I'm with you! I can't imagine how gross rooms could be...yuck!

Local Union FB Post
Looks like the test is over and not coming back.

UNITE HERE Central Florida
13 mins ·

Disney's "Service Your Way" at All Star Music is ending! The program offers guests financial incentives to decline service - reducing schedules for Housekeepers and resulting in messier rooms and heavier workloads when guests check out. Sticking together works! Let's make sure this program doesn't come back...

I thought this was done with, but it was just posted on one of the Pop Century threads that they just started this there and the person got the money for turning down mousekeeping service. So was this not as totally defeated as they thought?

I thought this was done with, but it was just posted on one of the Pop Century threads that they just started this there and the person got the money for turning down mousekeeping service. So was this not as totally defeated as they thought?

Interesting. The Union says in terms of members "The Union Of Attractions, Custodial And Vacation Planning Cast Members At Walt Disney World And Food Service Workers in Central Florida" so I would think that it's property wide.

This is now happening at Pop Century. I wish we knew how long it would last. How many months was it active at All Stars?

Yep, was just going to post this about POP, My sister-in-law texted me saying they got it for 2 nights - $30 total and said it started just a couple days ago at POP.

So, apparently it's not over for good.

Glad to hear that the testing is still happening. This is something that appeals to my family. I also have sympathy for any workers who might lose their jobs over this. I hope that the current employees are paying attention and start looking for other employment now, before their jobs are actually displaced.

As for the comment about not passing the savings on to customers - that is exactly what Disney is doing with the gift cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!