Credit for Mousekeeping Rumor

First it's a 20 credit per day,
Then it's a 10 credit per day.
The it's no credit per day but new lower room pricing

Then its an up charge if you want your room cleaned every day, every other day comes with new room rate.
Disney gives it self an award for not giving out towels every day and saving the planet millions of gallons of water a week.

Don't believe it
2005 Basic Dining plan $37.00 a day 1 appetizer per person and Tip included and Le cellier was not a signature
2018 old basic dinning plan $76 a day No appetizer , no tip, 1 free tap beer or house wine per meal and Le Cellier is 2 dinning credits

Buckle up the accountants are looking for new revenue streams.

I usually say things like this...I'm a Dorian gray type slave to the truth...

But I'm trying to rehab my image.

(I was thinking dining plan bait and switch the minute this came up...they'll end up charging more for rooms with no services and $50 a night to have a minimum wage, state assistance receiving employee clean your room for 20 minutes...but can't put a price on "magic", huh?)

Then its an up charge if you want your room cleaned every day, every other day comes with new room rate.
Disney gives it self an award for not giving out towels every day and saving the planet millions of gallons of water a week.

Don't believe it
2005 Basic Dining plan $37.00 a day 1 appetizer per person and Tip included and Le cellier was not a signature
2018 old basic dinning plan $76 a day No appetizer , no tip, 1 free tap beer or house wine per meal and Le Cellier is 2 dinning credits

But wasn't it the customer who was clamoring to not have the appetizer and tip included in the meal? :rolleyes2

Are you gonna deny that the consumers are in la la land and the regime has exploited that to rob them?
There is no robbery taking place. Disney is charging what the market will bear. Imagine if Disney was still charging 2000 prices today. Every day would have NYE type crowds. WDW is a luxury, and they charge luxury prices. Consumers that can afford those prices or choose to pay those prices are not idiots being exploited - they are people with sufficient disposable income to absorb the cost.

There is no robbery taking place. Disney is charging what the market will bear. Imagine if Disney was still charging 2000 prices today. Every day would have NYE type crowds. WDW is a luxury, and they charge luxury prices. Consumers that can afford those prices or choose to pay those prices are not idiots being exploited - they are people with sufficient disposable income to absorb the cost.

Thank you, Milton Friedman...

That doesn't answer the important question: are they undercutting their longterm business prospects?

To curb that...you stitch the superficial wound...you don't wait till you're 6 pints down.

Anyway...i'm curious...how many "one and doners" do you think look on the news and rumors board here? Isn't too much analysis, discussion what we do here? To even sign up...it implies a certain curiosity beyond the one hitters...

Disney is charging what the market will bear. Imagine if Disney was still charging 2000 prices today. Every day would have NYE type crowds. WDW is a luxury, and they charge luxury prices. Consumers that can afford those prices or choose to pay those prices are not idiots being exploited - they are people with sufficient disposable income to absorb the cost.

Correct except Disney is "testing" what the market will bear, Disney does not want those consumers who can not afford or barely afford it. They don't want day trippers that just enjoy the parks for a day and spend no money. ( single day ticket price) The APs have gone through the roof in the last ten years, to stop day trippers or 2 vacations on one AP. If the rumors are true they are converting moderates to Quasi Deluxes. Disney's model is changing and it seems not to include the lower middle incomes. That being said Disney is expanding at a rapid rate with Pandora, Toy Story and Star Wars, A large attendance jump for those parks is expected for those investments. If not the model will have to change again.

Don't believe it

Exactly as I was saying, but better established. Well said.

Correct except Disney is "testing" what the market will bear, Disney does not want those consumers who can not afford or barely afford it. They don't want day trippers that just enjoy the parks for a day and spend no money. ( single day ticket price) The APs have gone through the roof in the last ten years, to stop day trippers or 2 vacations on one AP. If the rumors are true they are converting moderates to Quasi Deluxes. Disney's model is changing and it seems not to include the lower middle incomes. That being said Disney is expanding at a rapid rate with Pandora, Toy Story and Star Wars, A large attendance jump for those parks is expected for those investments. If not the model will have to change again.
I don't disagree with any of this. My point was simply that the people who choose to continue to go because they are unaffected by these price increases are not idiots. Calling people who make different choices names does nothing to forward the conversation about Disney's direction as a company.

I don't disagree with any of this. My point was simply that the people who choose to continue to go because they are unaffected by these price increases are not idiots. Calling people who make different choices names does nothing to forward the conversation about Disney's direction as a company.

Disney parks were designed and built to serve the middle class market. Moreso wdw than disneyland...trying to snap their fingers and make it an "upper class" spot is a minefield that they can't navigate...

This is fundamental

Actually, if anything, raising rates on APs have caused people to do this more often. People might have spent one or two weeks in the parks, now they'll break those trips up into shorter segments, maybe even stay off-site since parking is covered on the AP. If they're staying DVC, then they've paid that amount to another division or third party. So at best, Disney can capture some dining (low margin) or merchandise (high margin) dollars from that family or traveler. Not to mention locals/quasi locals who will come and go as they want buying next to nothing.

Bottom line: Tickets are expensive because they can charge it. I understand trying to shift the crowds to other times of year. I think they tried it and it's worked to some extent. But they want every dollar they can get from consumers. Other theme parks do the peak pricing stuff so they can't just let that opportunity go by. They probably figured people who show up day of to buy tickets wouldn't know any better so might as well extract as much cash from them as possible. I think we are seeing the line, as with these 4 park tickets, each with one time use. I think that's a much better way of getting families out to disney parks than fleecing them at the front gate of MK on July 4th.

Disney parks were designed and built to serve the middle class market. Moreso wdw than disneyland...trying to snap their fingers and make it an "upper class" spot is a minefield that they can't navigate...

This is fundamental
I do not earn an upper class income but can easily afford 20 days/year in WDW, and I live 1100 miles away. Maybe this isn't as "fundamental" as you think? :confused3

I do not earn an upper class income but can easily afford 20 days/year in WDW, and I live 1100 miles away. Maybe this isn't as "fundamental" as you think? :confused3

How do you travel? Where do you stay? What do you pay?

What DON'T you spend money on to do it?

You're assuming that a mass (50 mil a year +) market has to do longterm investment in something like dvc or switch personal preferences and priorities to go for a week.

For the first 40+ years of disney parks...the middle class family could say "lets go" 6-18 months in advance and get it done...if that model is crack (which you know is what I'm getting at), then the longterm
Shakedown is gonna be rough for TWDC

It's still fundamental...don't let them stab you on the wall as you defend it...

Actually, if anything, raising rates on APs have caused people to do this more often. People might have spent one or two weeks in the parks, now they'll break those trips up into shorter segments, maybe even stay off-site since parking is covered on the AP. If they're staying DVC, then they've paid that amount to another division or third party. So at best, Disney can capture some dining (low margin) or merchandise (high margin) dollars from that family or traveler. Not to mention locals/quasi locals who will come and go as they want buying next to nothing.

Bottom line: Tickets are expensive because they can charge it. I understand trying to shift the crowds to other times of year. I think they tried it and it's worked to some extent. But they want every dollar they can get from consumers. Other theme parks do the peak pricing stuff so they can't just let that opportunity go by. They probably figured people who show up day of to buy tickets wouldn't know any better so might as well extract as much cash from them as possible. I think we are seeing the line, as with these 4 park tickets, each with one time use. I think that's a much better way of getting families out to disney parks than fleecing them at the front gate of MK on July 4th.

I do tend to agree that aps were a pretty nice loophole that only now is being closed off. They were a great deal and still are ok.

The problem is that the western front - DL - didn't hold the line when they started charging $1000.00...I have no doubt they'll put the screws to the eastern crowd as well (began in 2015), once the culture shock of all the other increases dies down and the attendance stabilizes.

I do tend to agree that aps were a pretty nice loophole that only now is being closed off. They were a great deal and still are ok.

The problem is that the western front - DL - didn't hold the line when they started charging $1000.00...I have no doubt they'll put the screws to the eastern crowd as well (began in 2015), once the culture shock of all the other increases dies down and the attendance stabilizes.

Yeah it's rapidly getting up there. They have what, $250-$300 to go? Won't take too long.

How do you travel? Where do you stay? What do you pay?

What DON'T you spend money on to do it?

You're assuming that a mass (50 mil a year +) market has to do longterm investment in something like dvc or switch personal preferences and priorities to go for a week.

For the first 40+ years of disney parks...the middle class family could say "lets go" 6-18 months in advance and get it done...if that model is crack (which you know is what I'm getting at), then the longterm
Shakedown is gonna be rough for TWDC

It's still fundamental...don't let them stab you on the wall as you defend it...
I'm not really defending what they are doing. There is a whole lot about Disney that I don't care for today vs. the WDW that I grew up in. But the cost is not one of the things that I would complain about.

I sincerely believe in getting paid what I am worth in the market place. So why would I hold that against anyone else? Why would I accept less money to do my job? Why would I turn down annual bonuses or raises? I wouldn't, and you wouldn't expect me to. But when Disney charges more people get upset.

I sincerely believe in getting paid what I am worth in the market place. So why would I hold that against anyone else? Why would I accept less money to do my job? Why would I turn down annual bonuses or raises? I wouldn't, and you wouldn't expect me to. But when Disney charges more people get upset.

Actually...there's a lot to be said for doing JUST that.

Asking for raises/bonuses more and more puts you on the silent mark list. I wouldn't recommend accepting less...yet...but the days are coming. It's an offshoot of the "you'll work as much as you have to...you can be replaced at the drop of a hat" movement since the roaring Gipper days...

But back to disney...the anger comes from two things (my opinion):
1. That they jacked prices very aggregiously in bad times with a bait and switch (new approach)
2. That the management gives off the air that the frequent, high spending base (most of whom fall in that middle/upper class line range) doesn't matter...but that's a tough stance to defend when things go bad...and they always do.

Stay tuned.

They are at a point where there isnt enough labor to go around in the area. Any way to minimize this helps significantly.

I would take a credit in a heartbeat. We are typically never in the room except to sleep and shower. We usually keep the privacy sign up for the duration of our stay. If I could either request new towels when I want, or have a location to pick them up that would be great.

No need to make the bed. Wife and I untuck the sheets immediately anyways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter