Craziest present

Last year my DMIL sent us (me, DH, DD5 and DD6) each a silver dollar! That's it. We didn't even tell the girls, who would have been very dissappointed to get a coin!! They don't live near us and don't see us very often, but come on!! You could at least send a book or something for the girls!!

My DH inhierited a coin collection last year. Not being a coin collector he did quite a bit of research. Some silver dollars are valuable depending on certain characteristics, mint date, condidtion etc. We didn't have any real valuable ones- average worth of each of our being around $20 +/- . You might want to take some time and find out exactly what you have for silver dollars. Maybe your worthless coins are really worth something!:thumbsup2

My sil's gift every single year to dh is a bag of twizzlers. Don't know why. :confused3

Maybe its a tradition with her family? I have gotten (among other things) a bag of M&Ms every year from my parents (42 bags!) I've continued the tradition and my kids get a bag every year now also. :thumbsup2

Have to admit I would rather have M&Ms than Twizzlers LOL

A friend of mine got married a few weeks ago. She got two weird gifts: a weird beaded thing that was stuffed in a card and a package of baby wipes and diapers. At first we thought is was a friend making a joke but it was a family memeber that they did not know very well that gave it to them :confused:

This sounds like she got a fertilty bead counter and the baby wipes and diapers were for when she conceived. Some women use the beads to count until ovulation. Like natural family planning if you will. Still a very weird and personal gift to give someone.:surfweb:

This sounds like she got a fertilty bead counter and the baby wipes and diapers were for when she conceived. Some women use the beads to count until ovulation. Like natural family planning if you will. Still a very weird and personal gift to give someone.:surfweb:

I heard on the travel channel that in some cultures gifts like this are given at a wedding as good luck. It's like wishing them good luck that they will conceive soon, because in some cultures that is the number one goal after marriage. Do you think that applies for this couple?

We must have the same grandparents, I got black olives once too! :rotfl2:

Did you put them on your fingertips and then eat them off one at a time? :laughing:

Actually it was a from a friend of mine. He in notorious for really bad gifts. That year he just said he hadn't had time to pick something up so he went through his pantry.
And honestly, I HATE black olives. If it had been GREEN olives I could have drank the juice.

This year he gave me some 3 pack of bad chick flick movies. Mind you, I had already told him exactly what he could get me when he asked (and it would have come out cheaper). I think his new nickname will be BAD-PRESENT MAN and his costume will be made up of olive can wrappers and gold lame ribbon.

Two of my husband's most memorable gifts he received as a letter carrier, were:

a) a crocheted nose warmer from a sweet little old lady on his mail route - (it resembled a tiny g-string, only for your nose!) - when she asked him why he wasn't wearing it out in the bitter cold, he said he lost it (to spare her feelings) so she crocheted him another one!

b) one of his patrons gave him a bar of soap with an image of a fully clothed hot chic. Each time you shower, a little more of her clothes would magically disappear until after many showers, she was finally nude! I didn't hear him complaining about that one! ;)

My brother gave us Gladware a few years ago. DD was about 6 at the time, and she yelled, "We already have a ton of this -- we get it at the GROCERY STORE!!" Oops!

My mother goes to church bazaars and buys my girls these old (REALLY old, like 40 years old) dolls that some old lady has cleaned and crocheted a new outfit for. They are always the scariest looking things, but my mom thinks they're "darling"! One year, my 3-year old SOBBED when she opened hers because it was so "scary and ugly". (I'll have to go look for pictures -- I do have them!)

Actually it was a from a friend of mine. He in notorious for really bad gifts. That year he just said he hadn't had time to pick something up so he went through his pantry.
And honestly, I HATE black olives. If it had been GREEN olives I could have drank the juice.

My Mom and her sisters are all in their 50s. For years, Mom has been trying to persuade her 2 sisters that there was no need for them to exchange gifts, but they keep saying, "Oh, no, we HAVE to exchange gifts!" Except they don't even live near each other, so they have to purchase gifts and then ship them to each other.

Mom tries to get nice gifts for $50 or more... Harry and David's baskets or a Vera Bradley purse, etc... She puts a lot of thought and some effort into the gift.

However, one sister consistently gives Mom gifts that are literally pulled out of her pantry (Rice o Roni Noodles and a box of tea, for instance). The other sister sends Mom perfumed lotions or candles. Here's the kicker... Mom is a VERY picky eater and is highly allergic to scented items AND HER SISTERS KNOW THIS!!!!

Not weird, but very sad. It was the first Christmas that my DB was divorced. We bought my DMom and me some white embroidered hankies (think the five and dime store). And hankies for my DH and DDad with their initials.

Still makes me cry to think of him picking these out all by himself. Plus, we got nice gifts too!

The funniest one that I know of was my poor mom...her B-day is Dec 1....she received ONE earring. No, problem, she figured that the other would be arriving on Christmas [they were VERY nice earrings].....nope!:confused3 The matching earring didn't arrive until her B-DAY the FOLLOWING YEAR!

Not sure what's funnier, mom having to keep track of the 1st, or my grandmother having to not lose the 2d one....:lmao:

b) one of his patrons gave him a bar of soap with an image of a fully clothed hot chic. Each time you shower, a little more of her clothes would magically disappear until after many showers, she was finally nude! I didn't hear him complaining about that one! ;)

:rotfl2:
I just love this thread!

This thread is too funny! I told dh I was going to post about the Christmas he bought me a travel toothbrush/toothpaste set and a really ugly pair of earrings that were picked out by my dd then aged 4 (think cheap costume jewelry). He is great in a lot of ways but gift giving isn't one of them! I have since learned to either tell him EXACTLY what I would like or keep my expectations low! Also, my mil (not dear!) gave dd two left hand gloves last Christmas!

A friend of mine got married a few weeks ago. She got two weird gifts: a weird beaded thing that was stuffed in a card and a package of baby wipes and diapers. At first we thought is was a friend making a joke but it was a family memeber that they did not know very well that gave it to them :confused:
Did this person maybe think it was for a Baby shower as opposed to a wedding shower??
Odd.
-Sarah

A pet-sized funeral urn.

I'm not kidding. I have a relative who, well, you can never tell if the gift was meant to be offensive or not. At the time I had a very elderly cat and I was concerned about some problems he was having.

When I first opened the package I thought, "A metal ginger jar?" Then I read the insert...which was inside the jar. It stated clearly what the jar was meant to be.

To this day I have no idea whether the giver thought she was acting with foresight or if she had no idea what she'd purchased.

My advice: let folks buy their own funeral urns...even a nasty fruitcake would have been more appreciated!

I don't understand how a sister can give all but one sister really nice items, or a grandmother who gives one child a really cool toy and the other some underwear or a parent who has the nerve to give one child sausage and the rest nice electronics.

It seems more like being mean than clueless, I would never have the nerve to do that to someone. Especially at a family gathering with everyone around. I feel so sad for some of these people!

Oh, you mean like the Christmas that my DH got beef jerky (see my other post on this thread) yet again from SMIL, and step-bro got a Bose radio.... :confused3 :rotfl:

I am about to have an asthma attack laughing so hard:rotfl2:

I got used socks one Christmas from DH's biological mother (whom I've met once, and he has not seen in years). Ugly, used socks.

This past christmas my BIL/SIL gave me and my DH, a pie mix and a stuffed chicken...we forgot the chicken in my husband's aunt's freezer overnight. When we went to get it the following day, we found out my SIL had already come and picked it up. She decided the pie mix was enough...:eek: We could not belive they would give it to us and then take it away!! My BIL was embarrased his wife had done it...but did not give it back to us or buy us another one. Oh well what can you do???:confused3

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
OMG i cant even continue to read after this one LMAO
the kids are looking at me like i'm a goof
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My dear grandmother (90yo) has forever given us money in a card with the inscription (and I kid you not) "go blow yourself". This means we are supposed to spend the money, not save it. Its always fun when a sibling marries and a new family members gets their first card! :rotfl:

OMG!!! I have read through each page of these posts chuckling along the way but this one almost made me wet myself...sorry TMI...So many things get lost in translation, don't they?:lmao:

Two of my husband's most memorable gifts he received as a letter carrier, were:

a) a crocheted nose warmer from a sweet little old lady on his mail route - (it resembled a tiny g-string, only for your nose!) - when she asked him why he wasn't wearing it out in the bitter cold, he said he lost it (to spare her feelings) so she crocheted him another one!

I think I'd die of laughter if I saw our mail carrier wearing something like that. I wouldn't be any good any more to ever have a reasonable conversation w/ him again! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter