Craziest present

wickywinn

wicky
I'm the queen of budgeting, don't get me wrong. But some of the things I've received as gifts (it seems most come from step-something or other) are crazazy?

So what is the craziest thing you've ever received as a gift?

I think mine would be a sample tube of lotion for Xmas from the in-laws (stepmother does all the gifting). Yes, that was all. Also high on the list was the yellow resin Easter egg with pink stripes (think Dollar Tree) on a plastic stand....for Christmas. Or the box of "two" silver plated candlesticks that, when opened, had one tarnished candlestick and the rest of the box stuffed with toilet paper. :banana:

I'm a big believer in "it's the thought that counts" but sometimes it's hard to keep a straight face.

But, I tell ya, sometimes I think these presents are some of my favorites. We get a good chuckle out of it and know not to take it too personally. It is what it is and we're not going to change anyone. We don't allow it to change how we gift people. I enjoy buying presents that I think they will enjoy.

My friend gave me a sweater for Christmas...but it was the sweater that I forgot I left at her house a few months before! I guess she forgot it was mine and thought I might like it?;) :rotfl:

She honestly didn't know that it was mine and I just faked it and thanked for for such a beautiful sweater :D

These are funny!

One year I got a honey-do note holder. It was basically a piece of scrap wood painted on the top to look like a hammer, with a close pin hot glued to it and the words "honey-do list" written with a sharpie in your best 1st grader handwriting. Now if it was something my kids brought home from school, that would be cute. However, it was from my SIL. :confused:

DH and I both got light up moose antlers for Christmas one year from his parents. They actually thought they were cool and that we would wear them all day......Not happening.

They alway waste money on these gag types of gifts and we never find them funny. Thankfully this year we decided to no longer exchange gifts!

My MIL bought my DDs each a pair of handmade mittens that she picked up at a farmer's co-op. I guess they were alpaca fur. They were an ugly greyish brown with little green flecks in them.
My DD5 pulled them out of the gift bag and held them up- she pulled them on and started to laugh! The thumbs were almost twice as long as the finger part and were just flopping around. :rotfl:
Who the heck buys mittens with thumbs that are longer than the fingers??? It was so funny and my MIL just didn't get it!

She also got mad at me last year because I spent over $100 on a big basket of Bath and Body works relaxation products. She accused me of insinuating that she smelled by buying her "soaps". What the heck is that all about??? :confused3

I hate buying her gifts for anything.
-Sarah

One of my grandmas always gives crazy gifts that I don't think she realizes are crazy. The one that really sticks out in my mind is one of those rainbow colored umbrellas that attach to your head. My mom always jokes about making my dad wear it somewhere.

My DH's grandmother is always giving "interesting" gifts. One year everyone got Furbies, one year a banana holder, and this past year, I got wrinkle cream. The best was the year one of his sisters got a computer desk, the other sister got Christmas china, and what did DH get? A notepad and pen set.

I received an old, rusty brass box about the size of a ring box for my birthday one year from a cousin. It looked like it had sat outside for 10 years. I just looked at it and was speechless. What do you say to something like that?

My MIL gave me one burgundy towel one year:confused3 Doesn't match anything either so :confused3 Another year she gave me one of those little personal razor things--the one that didn't break the balloon on the commercial:confused3 I'm sure she means well, but really save your money, don't buy me anything it really won't bother me!
My parents like those really weird gag things too. I don't get it. My Mom once bought me a Moon plaque that when you press the butotn it sings "when the moon hits your eye" It is in the basement in the box next to the talking Christmas tree, and talking grinch. Think they'd get a clue when they don't see them around!

My MIL likes to hit Dillards when they mark their clothes down to around $3. One year, right before Christmas my SIL and BIL split up. For Christmas, my DH got a bunch of shirts that had obviously been purchased for my BIL. There is about a 10 year age difference, and these shirts were 1) what was left over to be purchased at $3 and 2) had that trendy, young look like shirts that a teenager (or my BIL) would wear. Not my husband's style at all.

It was obvious they were bought for BIL. We went home and they went straight in the donate pile. The sad thing is this was the majority of DH's gifts from his parents. $12 worth of ugly shirts.

I would have to say that our worst gift was the singing/talking turkey head. Think Big Mouth Billy Bass but an animated turkey instead.

The funny part is that my MIL was in FL with her sister visiting their oldest sister and her family. They went to Cracker Barrel and both sisters from IL just had to have them for their grown kids. So, the two 60+yo women bought 7 (3 for our family and 4 for the cousins) and lugged all of the big boxes on the plane all the way back to IL. :laughing:

We all thought that it was a joke but she really liked them and got upset when we didn't show our appreciation. It must have been an age thing because my dad just thought that they were the greatest. He had me looking everywhere for one but when we couldn't find one, my SIL gave up hers with the understanding that her mother would never know.

We have a dear, dear family friend who will be 101 in October (and she's a firecracker!) Ever since I've known her, she's taken things around her house and wrapped them up. You never know what you are going to get from her- it's often times hillarious.

My favorite was one my SIL got from her- first Christmas in the family (I don't think they were even married yet.) It was a small box of Whitman's samplers. Some of the chocolates were gone. The papers were alls till there- she'd filled them with mini SNickers still in the wrappers and walnuts. SIL didn't even know what to say, it was just too funny!

We also threw her a surprise party when she was 90. She thought the party was for a neighbor's Sweet Sixteen. I picked her up to bring her to the hall and she confided to me she'd had no idea what to get a 16 year old girl. So she wrapped up a black plastic comb (the kind they give you at school pictures) in a piece of notebook paper for her. I was happy the party was really not for that girl to have her get that as a gift! :)

On the flip side, she once gave me an awesome 50's era ceramic mixing bowl. I LOVED that bowl! I broke it a year ago and felt horrible!

DH gave me a fire extinguisher once for our anniversary. :confused3

We had one Christmas where it seemed that each successive gift was crazier than the last: an opened Chia head in a battered box (Goodwill purchase) for me from MIL, a cheese spreader with a plastic handle "carved" in the shape of a moose head for us from my Grandma, a full set of candles in the shape of Christmas houses (I'm not a candle person) for me from SIL....

It was mine and DH's first Christmas together on our own and every single crazy gift was shipped to us by family members. We loved that they thought of us, but would have vastly preferred a card or a note rather than gifts.

My DGrandmother years ago, she is no longer with us, always bought the grandkids new towels and washcloths for Christmas. I think she ordered them from Harriett Carter. Well they always had our names on them. Shelly, Mark etc. Well, one year she bought them for my parents and all the aunts and uncles. She didn't want their names on them, so she ordered them "plain". Yep you guessed it, they came with the word "Plain" where the name would be! She never forgot that one!

I guess this is why my kids get new towel sets for Christmas!

My mom is notorious for giving gifts that don't work or fit, are only half there or are way age inappropriate. I got a squeaky dinosaur (you find them in the baby section usually) when I was in my upper teens. One recent Christmas was just too much though. She sent us a cake with a piece missing! I also got a broken watch when I was 8 or 9 and my sister once gave me a half used paper doll book.

An empty plastic shoe box. An over the door plastic shoe hanger thing. In my teens I got a homemade t-shirt dress with 2 large plaid ruffles at the bottom. Um yeah....why not just beat me up before I even get on the bus? Save the kids the trouble.:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter