Covid Curious

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been to WDW 2x (March 2021 and Dec 2021) and Universal May 22-25. None of us have gotten sick any of the trips and did not wear masks except when required the last 2 trips.

Having said that... We went in Jan 2020, before it was known to be iin the US. DH had been sick earlier in the month and still had a awful cough and was not back to normal. I made him go to the dr a few days before we left to confirm a case of the man-flu and to make sure he didn't have bronchitis or something. They tested him for flu, strep etc. Did lung xrays. Everything was negative, but his lungs looked weird. They gave him some cough suppresant and an inhaler and a zpack and told him he was good to go, anything he had was no longer contagious, since the symptoms started so long ago and he wasn't running a fever. No one else in the family ever got whatever it was. Knowing what we know now, I feel badly about that trip.
Reading this reminds me of our trip in Dec 2019 thru Jan 2020. In early January my wife got a respiratory disease that hit her very hard. She coughed so hard she hurt her chest muscles, A week later I got it,. By the time we got home walking 50 feet left me unable to breathe. Within an hour of getting home I was at the Walk in ER of the local hospital. An hour later I was in the hospital with a tentative diagnosis of Pneumonia. Two days later I was under the care of the Infectious Disease Department. I spent 8 days there before they released me. They never determined exactly what sort of Pneumonia I had or why the 3 Flu test I was given came back Positive but not for flu. A year later one of the Pulmonology Drs. I was assigned to rechecked my chart and told me, he was certain 95% I had Covid but they didn't know what to look for during my hospitalization.
While we were at Disney friends also staying in Fort Wilderness told us that the Walk in clinics around WDW were being over run with strange cases of respiratory diseases that they were having a difficult time diagnosing

Late to this party but was just reading this thread that dates back to the dates my group of 5 went (May 1-7) and fascinated that so many people from that time and visits since have gotten COVID. None in my party did despite none of us really masking at all and eating indoors and riding things as normal, which I was super surprised/impressed by. We are all triple vaccinated but still, we'd pretty much gone into it assuming we'd unfortunately all come back with COVID.

My two cents is that at this point you should not take a trip to WDW without accepting that there is a decent chance you'll get COVID, and that if anyone in your group is unvaccinated or medically vulnerable you should really rethink going...
We were there right after you same for us. We did not wear masks at all no covid.

We returned Friday from a 4 day trip to Disney. I started feeling bad Saturday afternoon. Took a test and it came back positive. My wife and kids are fine.

We knew the risks before we went.

Even though I’m shivering in bed with body aches and a cough, it was totally worth it.

My two teens and I were at WDW 05/29 to 06/07. We ate indoors, did not wear masks, and carried on as though Covid didn't exist. We all tested positive within 24 - 72 hours after returning home. Both the children had a mild cough that lasted 2-3 days. I had mild sneezing and a strange knee pain that lasted for a few hours. It felt like a seasonal allergy to us.

We are triple vaxxed.
Besides the trip quoted above where we got Covid, we also went in June and October 2021 and did NOT catch anything. We were fully masked in June and partially masked in October.

We returned Friday from a 4 day trip to Disney. I started feeling bad Saturday afternoon. Took a test and it came back positive. My wife and kids are fine.

We knew the risks before we went.

Even though I’m shivering in bed with body aches and a cough, it was totally worth it.

Are you saying you got covid at the end of May, recovered, and then infected again at the end of this month? If so, that is alarming.

she's vaccinated but not boosted since she's in her 30s
Her age (30s part) only matters for 2nd booster. She's been eligible and recommended to be boostered for a long time now. Only commented to clarify the "since she's in her 30s" My husband and I are in our 30s and had our booster a few days after Thanksgiving.

Her age (30s part) only matters for 2nd booster. She's been eligible and recommended to be boosters for a long time now. Only commented to clarify the "since she's in her 30s). I'm in my 30s and had my booster a few days after Thanksgiving

Sorry, didn't realize that, she may have had her first booster then as I believe he said they were caught up on current vaccinations. I was shocked to find that someone could have two cases of Covid in consecutive months.

Are you saying you got covid at the end of May, recovered, and then infected again at the end of this month? If so, that is alarming.
In May I had symptoms after traveling. I took a rapid at home test and it was positive. My symptoms were relatively mild, allergy like symptoms.

This time I have full flu symptoms. Fever. Chills. Horrible headache. Cough. Body aches.

I either had a false positive last month or had a different, weaker strain.

I just know that it really sucks this time around.

Edit. I’m vaccinated and boosted if anyone was wondering.

Sorry, didn't realize that, she may have had her first booster then as I believe he said they were caught up on current vaccinations. I was shocked to find that someone could have two cases of Covid in consecutive months.
I edited my comment to include my husband too (had forgotten he was there too lol).

I don't remember if it was consecutive months but my husband had a coworker towards the beginning of this year have covid, recover, then got something else, recovered and then get covid again. It was about a 2 1/2 to 3 months timeframe. It's the going thought that he maybe had Delta, then got Omicron or had Omicron then got the subvariant of Omicron. In those situations you're more likely to see someone get reinfected and more quickly than in early days.

Also someone's immune system comes into play too. With my husband's coworker his immune system was hit with the first round of covid making it easier to get something else and that something else can affect how your body reacts if exposed to covid again shortly (relatively speaking that is).

I was a bit surprised too for my husband's coworker, he had been put through the wringer that's for sure.

In May I had symptoms after traveling. I took a rapid at home test and it was positive. My symptoms were relatively mild, allergy like symptoms.

This time I have full flu symptoms. Fever. Chills. Horrible headache. Cough. Body aches.

Yep, this is what I'm hearing....that there are people getting Covid now, and having your experience of a full-on bad flu. Seems to be Omicron B4-5 doing this. My 87 and 90 year old in-laws got Omicron version 1.0... this past winter....both vaxxed and boosted once, and had relatively mild symptoms....though one got an antibody infusion...the other paxlovid.

What sucks about this time is that in pre-covid times, it was easy to get your doc to prescribe a Z-pack and even tamiflu...which we always bring with us on vacation in case we get a sinus infection, the flu...etc. Those two illnesses can give you a day or two out of commission....if you have the right meds, but not destroy your vacation. But with covid, if you happen to get covid on the way to your destination....it can wipe out your vacation and delay your return home. We're a long way away from docs prescribing paxlovid like that, and rightly so due to supply issues.

I have a customer who flew out this AM from Newark to Atlanta for a conference. She's a nurse, husband is a doctor and she texted me a pic....literally 5%-10% of people were wearing masks.

But with covid, if you happen to get covid on the way to your destination....it can wipe out your vacation and delay your return home. We're a long way away from docs prescribing paxlovid like that, and rightly so due to supply issues.
We had one family member in Mass and another in NH last week who called their PCP and were able to get Paxlovid without stepping foot in the office (both said they asked about comorbidities and prescribed based on that criteria).
So that may be changing.
The younger patient in his 30s had a very quick turn around, the other patient in his 60s did not find it to be helpful.

Nearly everyone in our friends/family circle, most boosted, have gotten the virus over the past 6 months.
The young uns had an easier time and quicker recovery.

Up until March of this year, 2022, our entire family was Covid free and then over March my brother (unvaccinated per PCP), my nephew (vaccinated and booster x2), our eldest (vaccinated) and GD tested positive. We were in Florida early February so I don't think we can attached their positivity to WDW. My sister and BIL refuse to vaccinate and they've been vacationing to the Jersey shore the entire time without becoming sick. Every time they catch a cold they've tested negative. Very confusing.

Our youngest (vaccinated) and I (vaccinated and booster x2 - second booster 5 days before leaving) went to Europe in May and both tested negative to return to the US. We were unmasked everywhere, starting at our home airport, the entire time. Two of our tour group tested positive and 2 hours later tested negative so everyone returning to the US from our group was able to return home.

I find the whole Covid experience very inconsistent. We're cruising in October and I am hoping DCL stops requiring any testing. I just don't see the point of the testing.

I'm willing to bet you caught the tail end of BA.2 and the beginning of spread of BA.4/.5.
Ugh. It's disheartening that it appears that partial immunity played little to no role. I hope you feel better soon.

Yep, this is what I'm hearing....that there are people getting Covid now, and having your experience of a full-on bad flu. Seems to be Omicron B4-5 doing this. My 87 and 90 year old in-laws got Omicron version 1.0... this past winter....both vaxxed and boosted once, and had relatively mild symptoms....though one got an antibody infusion...the other paxlovid.

What sucks about this time is that in pre-covid times, it was easy to get your doc to prescribe a Z-pack and even tamiflu...which we always bring with us on vacation in case we get a sinus infection, the flu...etc. Those two illnesses can give you a day or two out of commission....if you have the right meds, but not destroy your vacation. But with covid, if you happen to get covid on the way to your destination....it can wipe out your vacation and delay your return home. We're a long way away from docs prescribing paxlovid like that, and rightly so due to supply issues.

I have a customer who flew out this AM from Newark to Atlanta for a conference. She's a nurse, husband is a doctor and she texted me a pic....literally 5%-10% of people were wearing masks.

I am still wearing masks indoors everywhere except work (don't wear one in my cubicle, but wear one in meetings) unless I'm eating. Too many people I know getting sick.

My husband tested positive last Wednesday (June 15) and I tested positive that Friday (June 17). We tested my son on the 17th and again on the 24rd and he was negative both times. So we don't know if he was asymptomatic first and gave it to us, or if we got it from Disney and he got lucky. Anyway, we both were pretty sick the first few days and then had lingering symptoms for a week. I lost my voice and my husband's ears got clogged, so we were quite the pair. We only both tested negative yesterday (13+ days for my husband and 11+ days for me). It suuuuuucked and people who say it's nothing are either lying or very lucky. Plus since we stayed positive for so long, we couldn't bring my son to daycare even though he was negative. It was very disruptive and I'm not eager to get it again.

My husband tested positive last Wednesday (June 15) and I tested positive that Friday (June 17). We tested my son on the 17th and again on the 24rd and he was negative both times. So we don't know if he was asymptomatic first and gave it to us, or if we got it from Disney and he got lucky. Anyway, we both were pretty sick the first few days and then had lingering symptoms for a week. I lost my voice and my husband's ears got clogged, so we were quite the pair. We only both tested negative yesterday (13+ days for my husband and 11+ days for me). It suuuuuucked and people who say it's nothing are either lying or very lucky. Plus since we stayed positive for so long, we couldn't bring my son to daycare even though he was negative. It was very disruptive and I'm not eager to get it again.
We tested positive on antigen for a long time too….definitely not the 5 days for isolation guidelines. DHs work makes you stay home for the full 10 days it’s no option to return after 5 days.

We tested positive on antigen for a long time too….definitely not the 5 days for isolation guidelines. DHs work makes you stay home for the full 10 days it’s no option to return after 5 days.
We work from home so thankfully that wasn't an issue, but I ended up having to take sick time anyway since my son was home. :(

Hi All
We're flying from Manchester to Orlando on Monday.
Just checking, do kids have to self-isolate for 5 days when arriving in Orlando??

Virgin have not told me anything about that and I'm hearing rumblings now....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!