Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am truly wondering what people are saying as to how this could have been prevented in the Netherlands. I work with a woman who is from the Netherlands and her mother, father and sister all live there. Of course I have not been able to see her to have a discussion since we are remote learning but I am interested to hear what people think could have prevented it from happening. I would love if someone from Japan or an Asian country was on here since they seem to have a better handle on things if you go by information on world o meters.

I read an article in which 47% of Japanese tested has Antibodies. Let me see if I can find it.....

Found it....

“Conclusions and Relevance: COVID-19 infection may have spread widely across the general population of Tokyo despite the very low fatality rate.”

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.21.20198796v1

So this is to be tested at two locations beginning the 2nd of November?
Not sure when it's going to happen but yes the Toronto and Calgary airports will be the trials. Its what I have been for for all along. My issue was with those that said we should just drop border restrictions.

Not sure when it's going to happen but yes the Toronto and Calgary airports will be the trials. Its what I have been for for all along. My issue was with those that said we should just drop border restrictions.
I read that Coutts will also be a point of entry.

I read an article in which 47% of Japanese tested has Antibodies. Let me see if I can find it.....

Found it....

“Conclusions and Relevance: COVID-19 infection may have spread widely across the general population of Tokyo despite the very low fatality rate.”

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.21.20198796v1

Their genetic makeup also may make them less likely for the worst complications. Genetics is proving to be a huge part of who gets its and how bad.

Just Calgary starts November 2nd. And yes, there will be a land crossing doing testing as well. But then those people need to isolate while waiting for results just like those arriving by air. So no back and forth day trips just to go to Target or pick up packages waiting. Though some may do the package pick up, I’ve heard quite a few have a large amount to get!

Just Calgary starts November 2nd. And yes, there will be a land crossing doing testing as well. But then those people need to isolate while waiting for results just like those arriving by air. So no back and forth day trips just to go to Target or pick up packages waiting. Though some may do the package pick up, I’ve heard quite a few have a large amount to get!
:rolleyes1Interestingly, the Coutts border crossing is in an isolated area between rural Alberta and rural Montana. It's 3'ish hours from Calgary and another 2'ish to Great Falls. Not a day-trip anybody makes just to go to Target. Now if they were trying it at the bridge between Windsor and Detroit, that would be another story altogether.

I'm not sure if we've specifically compared this before but what exactly are the current restrictions where you are? I'm thinking particularly about mask mandates. We've had mandatory masking in place in this province since the beginning of August. Masks must be worn in all indoor public spaces including stores, restaurants, schools, banks, places of worship, health-care facilities, etc. The onus for compliance is on the proprietors of each establishment and monetary fines are issued by municipal by-law officers; of which hundreds have been hired in our city just for that purpose.

We've done well; compliance is high and it's odd to see anyone indoors anywhere without a mask (although reasonable exemptions are in place). Here's the thing though - we've been hit by a crazy spell of unseasonably harsh weather and it appears winter is here to stay. It's been below freezing for 10 days now, it was -14C (about 6F) here yesterday, and within 3 or 4 breaths, masks are frosted up (inside and out) to the point they are obstructed. I have noticed everyone either not masking until they get to the doorway of a building, which results in bottle-necks at the entry, or taking their masks off when they get inside and then just standing there wondering what to do with the wet, unpleasant mess.

It is NOT going to be a fun winter. I'm wondering if we're going to see compliance go down and conflict go up? :( FWIW, we are in a period of very high cases being diagnosed; higher than in April. That fact as well may lead some to wonder if masking is really having any good effect and become discouraged at wearing them. (For the most part, we are not being told of a lot of community spread; sadly there have been cluster-outbreaks again in many hospitals and senior's facilities accounting for hundreds of cases in the past month.)

Last edited:
I'm not sure if we've specifically compared this before but what exactly are the current restrictions where you are? I'm thinking particularly about mask mandates. We've had mandatory masking in place in this province since the beginning of August. Masks must be worn in all indoor public spaces including stores, restaurants, schools, banks, places of worship, health-care facilities, etc. The onus for compliance is on the proprietors of each establishment and monetary fines are issued by municipal by-law officers; of which hundreds have been hired in our city just for that purpose.

We've done well; compliance is high and it's odd to see anyone indoors anywhere without a mask (although reasonable exemptions are in place). Here's the thing though - we've been hit by a crazy spell of unseasonably harsh weather and it appears winter is here to stay. It's been below freezing for 10 days now, it was -14C (about 6F) here yesterday, and within 3 or 4 breaths, masks are frosted up (inside and out) to the point they are obstructed. I have noticed everyone either not masking until they get to the doorway of a building, which results in bottle-necks at the entry, or taking their masks off when they get inside and then just standing there wondering what to do with the wet, unpleasant mess.

It is NOT going to be a fun winter. I'm wondering if we're going to see compliance go down and conflict go up? :( FWIW, we are in a period of very high cases being diagnosed; higher than in April. That fact as well may lead some to wonder if masking is really having any good effect and become discouraged at wearing them. (For the most part, we are not being told of a lot of community spread; sadly there have been cluster-outbreaks again in many hospitals and senior's facilities accounting for hundreds of cases in the past month.)
I think what needs to be told to people now is where the cases are coming from. Since the majority are from places where people don't wear masks it makes a case for people to wear them. In Ontario the cases are coming from large gatherings.

Our restrictions have not changed, masks have been required since end of March unless you are in your home. What was added in September was fines for being caught without one, jail for repeat offenders, and loss of access to government support for those who will not comply after those 2 steps. Here I see everyone with one on their person, riding a bike alone, yep, in your car by yourself yep, riding a motorcycle, yep. I fear for the future as it is so enforced no one has any real idea why and how to use just that they must. I see many off their noses, or under the chin, touch them since they do not fit correctly, take them off to breath and put the back on. We of course do not have winter but it is rainy season so getting them soaking wet while out walking where ever you are going is a real thing. My last day out lots of mask wearing out in the rain. Our casesare pretty similar this whole time since the amount of testing has not changed, still about 1500 pcr tests a day. Lots of places to get private tests and I know many who have had it confirmed that way, but those numbers are not counted, only the official government pcr tests. Those in hospitals is under 700 now and under 25 in ICU for the past two weeks. Still on lock down and only allowed out every 5 days officially but really non existent as only banks are enforcing the system. Big holiday coming up the first week of November which will have many traveling. Boarders are open from Guatemala as of last week. Churches are to open last week of November if the holiday does not lead to a spike in hospitalizations.

In terms of masks, in Victoria anybody over 12 has to wear a mask whenever you leave the house. You don’t have to wear it if you are in your own car with only members of your household but do if you’re driving for work purposes (e.g. my sister is a social worker and has to wear one if transporting clients). You also don’t have to wear one if doing strenuous exercise (e.g. running or cycling), although must have one with you. While we are just coming out of winter, most parts of the state don’t get that cold that it hasn’t been an issue with masks freezing on faces! Not looking forward to dealing with them on days over 40 degrees Celsius though!

There is a fantastic woman on Twitter (MaddyLove2018) who everyday provides a graph showing our numbers and how different restrictions/easing impact on them. The green section shows the effect that adding compulsory masks (on top of stage 3 restrictions) had on our case numbers; it definitely seemed to make a difference!
BAB63E0A-AEE7-43BD-819E-8E2AA9FC050D.png

As far as other restrictions, we can only leave the house for work or education (but only certain industries and you require a permit), to shop for essential supplies (but only food stores, pharmacies, bottle shops, post offices are open), for medical care or caregiving, to exercise or outdoor recreation (within 25km with maximum of 10 people from 2 households).

We were hoping for some announcements today on retail and restaurants, but they wanted to get in some more results on a cluster in the northern suburbs first after a couple of higher days of 7 cases :mad: (our 14 day average is below 5). Apparently the tests they were waiting on have so far all come back negative, so hopefully things should re-open after next week at the latest. We had a long weekend this weekend and have another one next weekend (sort of - the public holiday is on Tuesday so many people take the Monday off too) so I suspect they won’t drop the 25km limit until after then. After that I’ll hopefully be able to see my aunt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter