Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our king just left on a vacation to Greece... yes, it is one of the few places we can go to without quarantining, but it sends such a bad message to the country when the government is campaigning not to go abroad... :headache:

**Edit** 2 hours later, the message was send out that the king is returning from Greece. He suddenly realized after the backlash, this was a stupid idea.

This made the news over here in Canada!

I’ve been hearing areas outside the hot spots in Ontario here have been asking for ID for indoor dining, to ensure people aren’t coming from these high risk areas. I understand that completely, but can’t believe we are living like this.

I’ve been hearing areas outside the hot spots in Ontario here have been asking for ID for indoor dining, to ensure people aren’t coming from these high risk areas. I understand that completely, but can’t believe we are living like this.
When Alberta was initially in Phase 1, municipalities moved to Stage 2 individually based on their own conditions. When salons/barbers were allowed to open in small cities like Red Deer, the news reported many incidents of residents of Edmonton and Calgary trying to sneak in for a cut (two hours away from both cities, roughly in the middle). Locals only was very strictly enforced.

In Victoria the regional areas currently have fewer restrictions than metropolitan Melbourne, including dining at restaurants. Businesses in regional Victoria are now obligated to check whether people are from metropolitan Melbourne or risk a $10,000 fine. This came after someone who had a permit to travel into regional areas spread the virus after dining at a local cafe (it also didn't help that they spent the night at a family member's house and said family member worked at the cafe...).

When Ontario started moving from phase 1 to phase 2, they did it in stages and people were all over going outside their region for haircuts. Completely against the point of opening regionally. Now, some of it is silly because across the street could be a different city and region in some areas. But, stick to the rules. I’m glad places are checking addresses now, I have no desire to travel outside our “bad” region and potentially spread it. It’s just yet another surreal thing in these covid times.

Hi @BadPinkTink - I was just browsing the DLR boards and got to wondering if you could update us on the current travel restrictions in-and-out of Ireland, if there are any presently in place?

Here of course the border is still closed internationally but for those that have come and gone through the many exemptions, a mandatory 14-day quarantine exists upon return. The “Atlantic Bubble” is still firmly in place with a mandatory quarantine for anyone arriving from outside the region. Westjet, one of our two national airlines has drastically reduced flights to the Maritimes and this will result in large job loses amongst airline personnel and real difficulty for residents needing to fly.

The Northwest and Yukon Territories are still no-go zones although I can’t imagine how they are enforcing that, by land. There are actually very few roads up there so maybe they are patrolled.

AFAIK, no other provinces have travel bans or restrictions in place for inter-provincial travel.

Hi @BadPinkTink - I was just browsing the DLR boards and got to wondering if you could update us on the current travel restrictions in-and-out of Ireland, if there are any presently in place?

Currently, as of 2.20pm Irish time Monday 19 October, the official Government advice is to avoid all non essential international off the island. The borders have not been closed, there are still flights and ferrys but anyone arriving into Ireland by boat or plane from any country, Europe or elsewhere is required to do 14 day quarantine.

In addition to non essential international travel, we are also advised against non essential intercounty travel. There are police checkpoints on the highways and people travelling out of their county for tourist reasons are turned back.

The Irish Government is expected to announce further restrictions in the next six hours, moving back to Level 4 . It is expected that non essential travel will be restricted further, that people will not be allowed to travel more than 5 km from their home.

Basically, unless you are travelling internationally for business or health reasons, the Irish Government does not want Irish people to leave the island or for anyone to visit Ireland.

Here of course the border is still closed internationally but for those that have come and gone through the many exemptions, a mandatory 14-day quarantine exists upon return. The “Atlantic Bubble” is still firmly in place with a mandatory quarantine for anyone arriving from outside the region. Westjet, one of our two national airlines has drastically reduced flights to the Maritimes and this will result in large job loses amongst airline personnel and real difficulty for residents needing to fly.

The Northwest and Yukon Territories are still no-go zones although I can’t imagine how they are enforcing that, by land. There are actually very few roads up there so maybe they are patrolled.

AFAIK, no other provinces have travel bans or restrictions in place for inter-provincial travel.
Just one small clarification, as of July 1st the border between BC and Yukon was open, with no need for BC residents to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in the Yukon. We were actually considering a trip to the Yukon in late August but ultimately decided to stay in BC and ended up travelling through the interior and the kootenays (which was lovely, too!)

Currently, as of 2.20pm Irish time Monday 19 October, the official Government advice is to avoid all non essential international off the island. The borders have not been closed, there are still flights and ferrys but anyone arriving into Ireland by boat or plane from any country, Europe or elsewhere is required to do 14 day quarantine.

In addition to non essential international travel, we are also advised against non essential intercounty travel. There are police checkpoints on the highways and people travelling out of their county for tourist reasons are turned back.

The Irish Government is expected to announce further restrictions in the next six hours, moving back to Level 4 . It is expected that non essential travel will be restricted further, that people will not be allowed to travel more than 5 km from their home.

Basically, unless you are travelling internationally for business or health reasons, the Irish Government does not want Irish people to leave the island or for anyone to visit Ireland.
:confused: Would that include people not being able to attend at their workplaces? I only ask because here, practically nobody lives within 5km of where they work. We are extremely spread-out but I do understand the geography and population density where you are might make it a very different situation.

No news from NL, but I did read an article about how Sweden is turning around. They are having local lockdowns now, where public spaces like museums and such close and limit the use of public transport.

:confused: Would that include people not being able to attend at their workplaces? I only ask because here, practically nobody lives within 5km of where they work. We are extremely spread-out but I do understand the geography and population density where you are might make it a very different situation.

It depends on the workplace. Work from home where possible is the official Government advice. There will be an official press conference in 3 hours time and it looks like its level 5 restrictions, which means all non essential business closed, just like back in March / April. If you have to travel for work, you need a letter from your employer or other proof that your travel is necessary. Things like schools , grocery, healthcare , deliverys etc will not have to close.

Just curious how this is going in other countries. In NL we hear very little about famous people getting the virus. Loads live in Amsterdam or big cities, which are hotspots.
Most likely famous people are ashamed how they caught it, but still... those who did come out and said 'I had it', no one says it was because they went out partying. All they tell how scary it was and/or that we have to take this seriously.

How is it in your countries? Are the famous people alright? ;-)

Just curious how this is going in other countries. In NL we hear very little about famous people getting the virus. Loads live in Amsterdam or big cities, which are hotspots.
Most likely famous people are ashamed how they caught it, but still... those who did come out and said 'I had it', no one says it was because they went out partying. All they tell how scary it was and/or that we have to take this seriously.

waiting for the Irish press conference in 30 minutes, now that you mention it, the only famous Irish people that I can think of, is the host of the main weekly talk show on Irish TV and the lead singer of a band. Maybe there have been others, but I didn't really take much notice

Well, I don't follow celebrities so I couldn't tell you about entertainers or athletes. Our First Lady (we don't really refer to her like that) had it very, very early on. She was in London and had to return when the border closed in March and she came home with it. She, the Prime Minister and their children isolated together and neither he or the kids were reported to have had it, although testing in the beginning was not what it is today. I just read a news thing that reports him saying he will take an antibody test to determine whether or not he had it.

The leaders of two other major political parties, including the leader of the Official Opposition, and their wives all tested positive much later; about a month ago. None reported more than mild symptoms and all are back to their daily activities. Quite typical I suppose since all these people are between the ages of 47 & 55; the Prime Minister himself being 48.

I'd like to say again as I have in other posts - Covid is really not a partisan political issue here. There's no recrimination or "see, I told you so" when public figures are afflicted and it makes absolutely zero difference to what the response measures are.

Last edited:
In Victoria the regional areas currently have fewer restrictions than metropolitan Melbourne, including dining at restaurants. Businesses in regional Victoria are now obligated to check whether people are from metropolitan Melbourne or risk a $10,000 fine. This came after someone who had a permit to travel into regional areas spread the virus after dining at a local cafe (it also didn't help that they spent the night at a family member's house and said family member worked at the cafe...).

Irresponsible behaviour is rampant!

thanks just about to post the update.

Ireland is the first country in Europe to go back to a full nationwide lockdown, level 5 for 6 weeks from midnight Wednesday 21 October. Business basically have today Tuesday 20 October to get sorted.

We are back to a 5km limit for non essential travel and there will be fines for people who break this. Some things are different to March though, weddings can be 25 people, schools will be open, elite sports can continue. The Government are also allowing social bubbles, where 2 households can mix. There was a big backlash the last time due to older people and single parents being alone, so the social bubble is a way to get around this.

For me nothing changes, I havent left my house in 20 days, and I have no contact with anyone except my mom who I live with. I work from home and will just continue on, my clients have to close their buildings but the businesses are not closed. I have grocery deliveries booked every Friday for the next three weeks.

The only main thing for me and mom is that our family Christmas has been cancelled. My sister and her family lives in England and they were due to come to Ireland for Christmas. My sister cancelled the flights at the weekend, as England is heading the same way as Ireland.

Today with we have in NL a courtcase from restaurants/bars/cafes etc. against the government because of the closing of these establishments (only take out is allowed at the moment).

And our airline/my boss has decided to reopen their policy to leave the company voluntarily with some money (no idea how this is translated into English). Originally about 5.000 people had to go, but due to changing conditions another 1.500 people have to go.

My city is #7 on the list of most infections for yesterday.

And our airline/my boss has decided to reopen their policy to leave the company voluntarily with some money (no idea how this is translated into English). Originally about 5.000 people had to go, but due to changing conditions another 1.500 people have to go.

its called voluntary redundancy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter