Cost of a bottle of water onboard?

It's actually "canned" Dasani unless you go to one of the bars and then you can usually get EVIAN, higher priced, but in a litre bottle. As was mentioned the water at the drink stations is just as good as the cans.
It depends ~ we sailed the Dream in May and had the aluminum Dasani and sailed the Wish two weeks ago and the Dasani was in plastic bottles. :flower3:

They actually do claim it on their website. They say that it is filtered "by nature" and there is no mention of any filtration process at the plant. They seem a bit sketchy about the whole thing, who knows what they are really doing. In no way would nature be consistent in it's mineral amounts. And since they put what is in the water and the percentages, it makes sense that they add/take away things as needed to keep the product consistent. You can't honestly believe that it comes from nature the exact same way every time.
And how does "filtration by nature" preclude removing impurities yourself too? Bottled water isn't supposed to contain a fish, a leaf, or soil. Any reasonable person understands this bit. Those impurities aren't water. They are external elements and are removed with a simple filter.

What cannot be removed as such are the germs, bacteria, chemicals, and other contaminants. You need to instead add disinfectants and/or use a variety of distillation methods. That's what happens at your municipality or on the ship. Clean, natural sources - such as those used by the likes of Evian, Voss, and Fiji - don't need this filtration treatment.

And labeling 101. None of the water, soda, or other beverage labels you see in the supermarket guarantee the exact content in each container. They are measured and reported in bulk. For a water source such as Evian's, it's measured in a large aquifer over a long period of time. You see the bulk averages. Simple logic will tell you that there is nothing extraordinary about, say, 'Sulfates 15'. So there is no need to fudge the numbers - just report the averages you find.

Penn and Teller had an episode about bottled water on their old Showtime series named a word I can't use here, but you could look it up.

They served diners in a restaurant water out of a hose but used descriptions such as, "from the Highlands of Unicornland and bottled by fairies, this water has notes of glitter and cranberries." The diners all said it was the best water they'd ever had. 😉

Penn and Teller had an episode about bottled water on their old Showtime series named a word I can't use here, but you could look it up.

They served diners in a restaurant water out of a hose but used descriptions such as, "from the Highlands of Unicornland and bottled by fairies, this water has notes of glitter and cranberries." The diners all said it was the best water they'd ever had. 😉
Personally, I think the onboard water (from drink stations, or the tap in my room) tastes fine.

I hate that they sell the water with the cooler bag. They didn't give us the option to buy it without it when we boarded last time, and we didn't have room to bring the bag home. It seemed like such a waste. Is there a way to buy it without it for cheaper?

Also hate the cans. We had refillable bottles, but thought we might need extra for excursions, but the cans don't work well for that. Next time, I think we will just need to bring bigger bottles for excursions. The water from the ship drink stations tasted just find to us.

When my daughter had COVID on a Royal Caribbean ship and we were quarantined and they provided the canned water. I don't think I can drink canned water again because I associate it with that claustrophobic experience.

I agree that the ship water is fine.

Does anyone know if the pre-ordered water Disney sells in aluminum cans taste like metal? Is the taste of the water off because they aluminum cans? I mean I don’t like Dasani anyway, but is it worse than normal is?

Does anyone know if the pre-ordered water Disney sells in aluminum cans taste like metal? Is the taste of the water off because they aluminum cans? I mean I don’t like Dasani anyway, but is it worse than normal is?

And how does "filtration by nature" preclude removing impurities yourself too? Bottled water isn't supposed to contain a fish, a leaf, or soil. Any reasonable person understands this bit. Those impurities aren't water. They are external elements and are removed with a simple filter.

What cannot be removed as such are the germs, bacteria, chemicals, and other contaminants. You need to instead add disinfectants and/or use a variety of distillation methods. That's what happens at your municipality or on the ship. Clean, natural sources - such as those used by the likes of Evian, Voss, and Fiji - don't need this filtration treatment.

And labeling 101. None of the water, soda, or other beverage labels you see in the supermarket guarantee the exact content in each container. They are measured and reported in bulk. For a water source such as Evian's, it's measured in a large aquifer over a long period of time. You see the bulk averages. Simple logic will tell you that there is nothing extraordinary about, say, 'Sulfates 15'. So there is no need to fudge the numbers - just report the averages you find.
Well they probably should test and treat their water. Anything can get into the water ways now. I think that you are putting too much faith in their "clean, natural" water claims. https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/busine...h-pesticides--swiss-researchers-find/45898078

I think that you are putting too much faith in their claims. Anything can get into the water ways at any time now. https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/busine...h-pesticides--swiss-researchers-find/45898078

I hate that they sell the water with the cooler bag. They didn't give us the option to buy it without it when we boarded last time, and we didn't have room to bring the bag home. It seemed like such a waste. Is there a way to buy it without it for cheaper?

Also hate the cans. We had refillable bottles, but thought we might need extra for excursions, but the cans don't work well for that. Next time, I think we will just need to bring bigger bottles for excursions. The water from the ship drink stations tasted just find to us.
I thought that you could buy it without the bag. I tried to check but the site is down for maintenance.

I think that you are putting too much faith in their claims. Anything can get into the water ways at any time now. https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/busine...h-pesticides--swiss-researchers-find/45898078
Actually, this is perfectly in line with their claims that they don't add or take away anything on their own. Easy to search high and dry and report sensational findings targeting branded products, but the trace/immaterial amounts of X can exist in any food item you will consume. Many pesticides are banned in the EU for this reason - that they can inadvertently end up anywhere in the food supply.

Unlike cruise ships, leading water companies get their water independently tested. Evian publishes its full California test report every year:
https://www.evian.com/en_us/wp-cont...files/Evian_CA_Annual_Report_English_2022.pdf

From your linked article: "Evian water is considered so pure that scientists will calibrate their measuring devices with it."

Actually, this is perfectly in line with their claims that they don't add or take away anything on their own. Easy to search high and dry and report sensational findings targeting branded products, but the trace/immaterial amounts of X can exist in any food item you will consume. Many pesticides are banned in the EU for this reason - that they can inadvertently end up anywhere in the food supply.

Unlike cruise ships, leading water companies get their water independently tested. Evian publishes its full California test report every year:
https://www.evian.com/en_us/wp-cont...files/Evian_CA_Annual_Report_English_2022.pdf

From your linked article: "Evian water is considered so pure that scientists will calibrate their measuring devices with it."
That is great for those who like it. I think it tastes horrible and has that nasty, slimy mouth feel from the high bicarbonates.

I thought that you could buy it without the bag. I tried to check but the site is down for maintenance.

It's very possible. They didn't give the option, and I think I was so excited to be boarding and on our way to Cabanas, that I didn't think to ask. He presented it as if it was the only option. Something like, "would you like to buy a case of water?" "Yes" "What's your stateroom number?" "Great, it will be delivered later, and it comes with a free bag!" The bag was a complete waste for us, since we travel carry on only and couldn't take it home. We just left it in new condition in the room. Live and learn. I won't be buying the cans again as they taste bad and don't work well for extra water on excursions since you have to drink them all at once. The price was also absurd. I don't mind paying a markup, but sometimes it reaches a point where you feel like a sucker for paying it. They are well beyond that point with cheap canned water.

Edit: In 2019, a 24 pack was $39. Ridiculously expensive, but you are paying for the convivence of not haling heavy water on board. I think our pack of cans was around $60 if I remember right. Absolutely crazy. Wonder what it is without the bag.

Edit 2: It is $59 without the bag according to the pre-order website. So they nearly doubled the cost post pandemic. Ouch. You also have to add a $10 service charges. So $70 for 24 cans of water. But it looks like the ones on the website have twist on lids, which would be better. Ours came in soda cans. Once opened, you had to use them. Next time, it's bigger refillable water bottles for us.

Last edited:
It's very possible. They didn't give the option, and I think I was so excited to be boarding and on our way to Cabanas, that I didn't think to ask. He presented it as if it was the only option. Something like, "would you like to buy a case of water?" "Yes" "What's your stateroom number?" "Great, it will be delivered later, and it comes with a free bag!" The bag was a complete waste for us, since we travel carry on only and couldn't take it home. We just left it in new condition in the room. Live and learn. I won't be buying the cans again as they taste bad and don't work well for extra water on excursions since you have to drink them all at once. The price was also absurd. I don't mind paying a markup, but sometimes it reaches a point where you feel like a sucker for paying it. They are well beyond that point with cheap canned water.

Edit: In 2019, a 24 pack was $39. Ridiculously expensive, but you are paying for the convivence of not haling heavy water on board. I think our pack of cans was around $60 if I remember right. Absolutely crazy. Wonder what it is without the bag.

Edit 2: It is $59 without the bag according to the pre-order website. So they nearly doubled the cost post pandemic. Ouch. You also have to add a $10 service charges. So $70 for 24 cans of water. But it looks like the ones on the website have twist on lids, which would be better. Ours came in soda cans. Once opened, you had to use them. Next time, it's bigger refillable water bottles for us.
Yeah, the prices are ridiculous. I have not purchased the bottles of water on the ship since I just drink the water from the fountain. Definitely bring the water on with you. I am sure someone would have loved the cooler bag though.

I assume the water at the drink stations is getting filtered there before dispensing, right? I think Coke requires it before mixing it into their syrups, so I would guess the stuff coming out at the dispenser goes through the same filter. I'm not sure how good the filter is, but since I drink the soda from their, it wouldn't make sense to refuse to drink the water.

Okay going to ruffle some feathers here so sorry about that. First of all we are talking about water here….water which is water.
Second the cost of the cruise weather a 3 night a 4 night is not cheap so we are talking about what? Pinching on water? We will spend more on drinks, souvenir and alike and not think twice but carry on discussion about water.
FYI a bottle of water at WDW is $3.50 so if you break it down I believe buying bottle water on the ship and having it delivered to your stateroom my be cheaper. Just a thought

[/QUOTE]
Okay going to ruffle some feathers here so sorry about that. First of all we are talking about water here….water which is water.
Second the cost of the cruise weather a 3 night a 4 night is not cheap so we are talking about what? Pinching on water? We will spend more on drinks, souvenir and alike and not think twice but carry on discussion about water.
FYI a bottle of water at WDW is $3.50 so if you break it down I believe buying bottle water on the ship and having it delivered to your stateroom my be cheaper. Just a thought
It's a fair point. But, it's also kind of the point. It IS just water, and $70 for a csse of crappy water is absurd and nearly double the 2019 cost. Usually a case is much cheaper than individual bottles, so you can't really compare it that way.

It's a bit frustrating. Just because I splurge on expensive travel, doesn't mean I like to waste money or feel like I'm being taken advantage of.

It felt nice to rant a bit, but I can see why it's a bit silly given the price we pay for these vacations. That's why I jumped in.

Last edited:
Reactions: NAB

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter