Coronavirus and Anxiety

That's my mom. No way she's giving up bingo or her quilting group :sad2:

The elderly have been thru a lot of "scares" over their lives. My Mom played Bridge up to just a couple of years ago and I know there is NO way she would have given it up because of this. Do we respect them for this; I don't know?? OP how old is your Mom? Mine will be turning 90 in 5 weeks and we have a big birthday bash planned for her.

my friend works as a nurse in a large hospital system and was told yesterday that if they get the virus and need to be quarantined because of caring for a patient, they have to use sick time and it counts against their absences. They are NOT considering it workers comp, they consider it to be essentially "laying out of work". This is NOT going to go well here. Just saying. I am SO glad that I am not working right now (retired from nursing).
Wait, so a nurse gets sick on the job and it is not workers comp? Pretty sure that is illegal.

I have anxiety that was under control until this came along. I am not afraid or anxious for me or my family. I am anxious because it seems like the country and the media have gone bonkers. Most people won't get severely ill and many won't even know they have it. Of course, those who have the risk factors must be very careful and friends and family members need to take precautions too. However, we do not need to stockpile toilet paper or spaghettios or anything else. We have enough for 2 weeks and a bit more. I can't even watch the Weather Channel without a coronovrius story every 15 minutes or so. I look online for updates a couple of times a day and then I am done. Fear mongering and panic are not for me. Makes me too anxious.
I have prepaid Internet that expires every 30 days and then I renew it. Mine expired Monday night and I deliberately didn’t renew until this morning. I just needed to disconnect for one day. It’s like waiting for a hurricane to arrive. It may hit, it may not. It may be mild or it may be severe. There’s a chance a person could die. And there isn’t anything I can do about it except prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I have to admit I slept better last night since I wasn’t on edge all day. I wouldn’t want to go without updates for a long period of time, since it changes so quickly, but a day now and then may be a necessity for keeping myself sane.

I have to admit, my anxiety over this is getting to me today.

I’ve tried to remain calm & just go about life, but I can only squash my true self for so long.

I’m worried about my parents & my mother-in-law. I’m worried about DH who has high BP. I’m worried about me... what if I have some underlying condition? I’m worried we’re going to see the virus evolve & it’s going to start badly affecting children. I’m worried we’re going to run out of toilet paper. And hand sanitizer. And food. I’m worried DH, who is an essential employee, is going to get stuck at work & not be allowed to leave. I’m worried our older kids’ college is not going to go to online classes. I’m worried we’re going to get sick w/ something else or hurt & not be able to get medical attention... or get exposed to the virus when we go to the doctor’s office or hospital for something else.

I need a drink. And some chocolate.

I am in no way prone to anxiety. BUT this whole thing has me doing internal freak out. I have a mother with very compromised immune system and a mother in law who is slowly dying from a heart defect. I don't think either one would be able to live through this virus. I have been in AR with my mom and the nursing home to see what protocols are in place to protect her as this gets more wide spread. I brought her lots of wet wipes to wipe down her and her roommate tv remotes, Ipads, wheelchair handles, phones and anything else they are constantly touching all day. My mom made the comment yesterday that if she gets this virus she probably wouldn't live through it and all I could do is try to reassure her she won't get it and be pissed off that I can't protect her from this.

Gathering is a way of protecting to an extent. And things like water, cleaning products and TP is gathering when there is nothing else to do but wait and feel like the damn plague is coming across the universe.
My mother is on oxygen and is recovering from the flu (strain not in the shot) at a local rehab center near my house. She has a very weak immune system. My dad has dementia and diabetes. He has to undergo dialysis three times a week and lives in a small residential care facility. I really worry about them but I am unable to look after them myself. DS9 gets viruses very easily. I worry about him too. I've stocked up for two weeks in addition to what we already have but I feel very impotent.

I can be an anxious person at times but I am not anxious about this at all and I too have an elderly father and MIL. You asked the question so I will answer. I believe in a greater power. He knows when I and my loved ones time is over. It will not be a day too early or a day too late. All I can do is be sensible and make common sense decisions. I cannot control everything and have to trust even when it’s hard. So, if others have the same belief system it may be time to hand it over and take a deep breath.

Last edited:
I have to admit, my anxiety over this is getting to me today.

I’ve tried to remain calm & just go about life, but I can only squash my true self for so long.

I’m worried about my parents & my mother-in-law. I’m worried about DH who has high BP. I’m worried about me... what if I have some underlying condition? I’m worried we’re going to see the virus evolve & it’s going to start badly affecting children. I’m worried we’re going to run out of toilet paper. And hand sanitizer. And food. I’m worried DH, who is an essential employee, is going to get stuck at work & not be allowed to leave. I’m worried our older kids’ college is not going to go to online classes. I’m worried we’re going to get sick w/ something else or hurt & not be able to get medical attention... or get exposed to the virus when we go to the doctor’s office or hospital for something else.

I need a drink. And some chocolate.

Stop. :)

It will get better. Don't look at Italy for a while. Look at South Korea. Heck, look at China. Hopefully the spring/summer will slow it down and we will make it through this season, hopefully be better prepared for next season, and then finally get better treatments or even a vaccine.

My parents are 81. They will not listen to anyone and keep going out. What can you do? We all called and yelled at them. My dad has a cold and I'm just waiting for the call he's in the hospital.

But, we go to work, wash our hands and keep a positive outlook.

I have prepaid Internet that expires every 30 days and then I renew it. Mine expired Monday night and I deliberately didn’t renew until this morning. I just needed to disconnect for one day. It’s like waiting for a hurricane to arrive. It may hit, it may not. It may be mild or it may be severe. There’s a chance a person could die. And there isn’t anything I can do about it except prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I have to admit I slept better last night since I wasn’t on edge all day. I wouldn’t want to go without updates for a long period of time, since it changes so quickly, but a day now and then may be a necessity for keeping myself sane.
That’s exactly how I’ve been feeling - like I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. It was really getting to me. Oddly, I started to calm down yesterday after I came to terms with Harvard closing. Today my kids’ universities made similar announcements. Then the 30 day travel ban, the NBA shutting down and NCAA announced they’d play in empty arenas - I was like FINALLY we are getting serious about arresting the spread and enforcing social distancing. And I calmed down.

Stop. :)

It will get better. Don't look at Italy for a while. Look at South Korea. Heck, look at China. Hopefully the spring/summer will slow it down and we will make it through this season, hopefully be better prepared for next season, and then finally get better treatments or even a vaccine.

My parents are 81. They will not listen to anyone and keep going out. What can you do? We all called and yelled at them. My dad has a cold and I'm just waiting for the call he's in the hospital.

But, we go to work, wash our hands and keep a positive outlook.
And stay away from sick people. :hug:

All of you with sick parents, I get it. I'm 29 and I've already watched both of my parents die from chronic illnesses. It's like a train wreck in slow motion: you know it's coming and you're powerless to stop it.

I can safely say that even after experiencing that over the course of my early 20s, I'm still scared witless by this virus. I still have people I care about and there are so many unknowns.

What concerns me about epidemics is their potential to cause harm if they can’t be contained and become widespread. Ebola, with a 50-90% death rate is far scarier to me than Coronavirus’s estimated 1% death rate. If I contract Coronavirus, I will likely recover with basic rest and minimal (or no) medical intervention. If I contract Ebola, I will probably die a gruesome death as my insides liquify and I bleed to death from my eyeballs.*

*I’m not a doctor, but I’m pretty sure that’s a scientific fact. ;)
Right. But there's a reason Ebola has a low overall death toll compared to viral disease like influenza. It always does. Because it self-limits its own spread. Think about it like Russian Roulette. The Ebola gun has 7.8 Billion cylinders and 12,000 of them have a bullet in them. The Swine Flue gun has the same 7.8 billion cylinders but 300,000 of them have a bullet in them. The Worst Ebola outbreak in history had a 0.00001% chance of killing you. Swine Flu had a 0.0038% of killing you.

Swine flue infected 10% of the world, Corona virus will likely infect 40% of us or more. Swine flu had a case fatality rate between 0.01 and 0.1%%, At the lowest current estimate, corona virus is looking like it's going to be between 10 and 100 times that lethal.

Of cases of Ebola in the USA, 100% of them recovered. Of the Current US cases of corona virus, 38 have died. That's a fact.

And this isn't to be glum. I'm all for whistling past the graveyard. But if you're not worried about this because you think it's less dangerous than Ebola, history is against you. Seasonal flu is more of a risk to you than ebola.

All of you with sick parents, I get it. I'm 29 and I've already watched both of my parents die from chronic illnesses. It's like a train wreck in slow motion: you know it's coming and you're powerless to stop it.

I can safely say that even after experiencing that over the course of my early 20s, I'm still scared witless by this virus. I still have people I care about and there are so many unknowns.
:hug:

I was fine until my area began reporting that people nearby are testing positive for the virus. Our schools began cancelling activities like sports banquets and theater productions. It really begins to mess with your mind.

Much safer to get an app for this.

Lol nope, no app for that. But seriously, this was a strictly social event for parishioners, not like a service for those who don’t have food (that would be a different story). Social gatherings can wait, and if they can’t, I don’t think my 80 year old dad needs to be touching the saliva of a large crowd from their plates.

The elderly have been thru a lot of "scares" over their lives. My Mom played Bridge up to just a couple of years ago and I know there is NO way she would have given it up because of this. Do we respect them for this; I don't know?? OP how old is your Mom? Mine will be turning 90 in 5 weeks and we have a big birthday bash planned for her.
Wow what an amazing milestone! That's going to be an awesome birthday party.

My mom is 77 with diabetes, COPD, and heart disease. Covid-19 would not be good for her. She never listens to any of my advice, though. I'm just her baby, what do I know? lol

My mother is on oxygen and is recovering from the flu (strain not in the shot) at a local rehab center near my house. She has a very weak immune system. My dad has dementia and diabetes. He has to undergo dialysis three times a week and lives in a small residential care facility. I really worry about them but I am unable to look after them myself. DS9 gets viruses very easily. I worry about him too. I've stocked up for two weeks in addition to what we already have but I feel very impotent.
:hug:

Wow what an amazing milestone! That's going to be an awesome birthday party.

My mom is 77 with diabetes, COPD, and heart disease. Covid-19 would not be good for her. She never listens to any of my advice, though. I'm just her baby, what do I know? lol

I hear ya. My MIL is 73, type 2 diabetes, insulin-dependent, severe heart disease, circulation problems, congestive heart failure, kidney disease, severe problems with her ability to heal in a timely manner...she needs to avoid contact with others. My DH has urged her to stock up on 2 weeks' worth of food. She refuses. He's urged her to get more than 1 week's worth of insulin at a time...she refuses (she only buys 1 week's supply at a time, it's crazy, also refuses to do mail order pharmacy).

My MIL is a prime candidate to be one of the elderly who perishes from this. DH and his sister have pleaded with their mother. She won't listen. There's not a darn thing we can do about it.

DH knows that if MIL ends up in the hospital with coronavirus, that none of us will be allowed to go see her...there will be isolation controls and no visitors rules. Not one thing we can do about it. My MIL is also the sort of person who will wait until it's too late to seek medical attention.

Nothing we can do about that either. We can pray for her. That's about it.

I hear ya. My MIL is 73, type 2 diabetes, insulin-dependent, severe heart disease, circulation problems, congestive heart failure, kidney disease, severe problems with her ability to heal in a timely manner...she needs to avoid contact with others. My DH has urged her to stock up on 2 weeks' worth of food. She refuses. He's urged her to get more than 1 week's worth of insulin at a time...she refuses (she only buys 1 week's supply at a time, it's crazy, also refuses to do mail order pharmacy).

My MIL is a prime candidate to be one of the elderly who perishes from this. DH and his sister have pleaded with their mother. She won't listen. There's not a darn thing we can do about it.

DH knows that if MIL ends up in the hospital with coronavirus, that none of us will be allowed to go see her...there will be isolation controls and no visitors rules. Not one thing we can do about it. My MIL is also the sort of person who will wait until it's too late to seek medical attention.

Nothing we can do about that either. We can pray for her. That's about it.
Older people have lived a long life and many know with the few years they have left they don't want to spend them hiding from things. Living long isn't worth it if there is no quality of life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter