Controversial Topics Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as the opt in or opt out feature, no one is requiring anyone to post on any of these threads. It's completely voluntary. And thanks to Corey to thinking enough of us to ask our opinions. I say this as someone who ran a local newsblog for 14 years - keeping up with the comments is a PITA!

I think having those topics in a separate area is a great idea. I have zero interest in pointless debates on any number of topics and some people on various social media sites think by grabbing the microphone and shouting the loudest/longest about whatever controversial topic will make it seem like they speak for the majority.

No one is going to change their view of certain topics regardless of what some others post. If those people want to argue/pontificate/haggle with each other in some other place.............fine by me. Less of those topics to clutter up the existing forum categories.

Please let me into your new exclusive club! :sad: Quite frankly, I feel like the community board has been dying a slow death due to progressively stricter moderation over the years I’ve been here. The muzzle on what we’re allowed to discuss just keeps getting tighter and tighter, first eliminating religion and politics, then controversial social issues, then we couldn’t discuss current events (like the pandemic that was affecting all of us), and now we’re to the point we can’t talk about certain issues affecting Disney on a Disney board. The only topics considered “safe” to discuss here are seen as utterly inane and boring to a large number of the users, hence the frequent complaints about the song-words and tell-me-your-home-address threads. I have seen so many people lose interest and leave over the years — I, myself, nearly doing the same until the events of this past summer and subsequent loosening of the moderation allowed things to become a tiny bit more interesting again. Please, please encourage interesting discussions and inject some life back into this forum.

Please let me into your new exclusive club! :sad: Quite frankly, I feel like the community board has been dying a slow death due to progressively stricter moderation over the years I’ve been here. The muzzle on what we’re allowed to discuss just keeps getting tighter and tighter, first eliminating religion and politics, then controversial social issues, then we couldn’t discuss current events (like the pandemic that was affecting all of us), and now we’re to the point we can’t talk about certain issues affecting Disney on a Disney board. The only topics considered “safe” to discuss here are seen as utterly inane and boring to a large number of the users, hence the frequent complaints about the song-words and tell-me-your-home-address threads. I have seen so many people lose interest and leave over the years — I, myself, nearly doing the same until the events of this past summer and subsequent loosening of the moderation allowed things to become a tiny bit more interesting again. Please, please encourage interesting discussions and inject some life back into this forum.
I wonder if putting it on a subforum but not making it an opt in situation could make it somewhat more of a medium?? It would keep it out of sight out of mind for those who want it but maybe a notation to let newcomers or those who take breaks to know where to go for that type of content. It would still probably lead to attrition of some posters regardless though by moving it somewhat underground.

Hello, everyone!

Some of you may know me, and I guarantee most of you don't. I've been around for a bit but recently started delving into the boards and re-evaluating some of our procedures. Lately, I've been personally approving all new registrations to prevent spam accounts from joining. Some slip through the cracks, but that's bound to happen.

Obviously, I don't want to disrupt what works, nor do I intend to dismantle or dismiss the hard work of our Moderators and Webmasters. I'd like to begin asking the community how to handle very controversial topics, especially here on the community board. You might have noticed a more lenient approach, like threads staying open longer than usual, comments deleted without infractions applied. This was all part of a test I've been conducting over the past few months and gathering feedback, similar to us publishing articles about Reedy Creek on wdwinfo.com but not allowing discussions here. I get it.

So, here we are, in a highly debatable world, discussing many topics. Although necessary at times, I really don't like to ban people, issue points, and repeatedly close threads. It's evident that many of you love Disney and other destinations, but some are also passionate about "highly" debatable topics in the world. I also want to ensure everyone here feels safe from "world drama" issues appearing in their feed.

Here is the question… Would you find it beneficial if I created a sub-board where we can move and allow "hot topics" for a semi-un-moderated discussion? I would only allow access by request. If you are open to the potential "firestorm," then I'll grant you access, but you'll be required to accept certain terms before entering.

Unlike the past Debate Board, the threads here will not be visible or accessible to everyone. It’s opt-in / opt-out.

The Community Board is a place for all topics that don't necessarily fit in with the others. It's a catch-all to discuss anything you want, but there are obvious limitations we must enforce to keep the peace.

Let me know if I'm crazy. 🙂

Thanks,
Corey
Yup … you’re crazy! 😂. For the most part, folks here engage in relatively civil “discussions“ already, albeit moderated. I’d be afraid to think what would happen in loosely moderated forum …I just feel it would only take a few to turn a topic upside down. I mean, we’re talking about a forum for people who either don’t respect others opinions or just don’t know how to engage with a controversial topic. But by all means, open it up …I’d be the first to pay to watch! Peace…

To be clear, this will be a forum to discuss Jewish Space Lasers and the like -correct?

I'm for whatever keeps religion or politics off the Community Forum. I want as little of that in my life as possible.

I would not participate in a political forum, but if others want to, great, especially if it means the Community Forum is more closely moderated for religion/politics posts.

I wonder if putting it on a subforum but not making it an opt in situation could make it somewhat more of a medium?? It would keep it out of sight out of mind for those who want it but maybe a notation to let newcomers or those who take breaks to know where to go for that type of content. It would still probably lead to attrition of some posters regardless though by moving it somewhat underground.
I just don't want it in my new posts feed...but then I don't want a lot of forums...like running. 🤣

I just don't want it in my new posts feed...but then I don't want a lot of forums...like running. 🤣
:laughing:

If it was in a subforum the way that Games and such are you'd have to click on it to see all the threads in it. Granted those who click on New Posts could still see it but if you're doing that you're getting all of the forum anyhow and someone wanting to limit what they see wouldn't do well by going to New Posts.

I have a bit of experience with this as a former mod on a different forum. You can have some sort sub-forum that allows for more controversial topics, but if posters begin to bicker on the sub forum, it can spill out onto the other boards.

That doesn't mean it's a bad idea, but someone will probably need to devote some time checking the main forums for users who are tangling on the sub forum.

I have a bit of experience with this as a former mod on a different forum. You can have some sort sub-forum that allows for more controversial topics, but if posters begin to bicker on the sub forum, it can spill out onto the other boards.

That doesn't mean it's a bad idea, but someone will probably need to devote some time checking the main forums for users who are tangling on the sub forum.
I agree with you, but I think the reports would be flying even higher than they do now, which is hard to imagine, if that happens.

Here is the question… Would you find it beneficial if I created a sub-board where we can move and allow "hot topics" for a semi-un-moderated discussion? I would only allow access by request. If you are open to the potential "firestorm," then I'll grant you access, but you'll be required to accept certain terms before entering.

Unlike the past Debate Board, the threads here will not be visible or accessible to everyone. It’s opt-in / opt-out.

The Community Board is a place for all topics that don't necessarily fit in with the others. It's a catch-all to discuss anything you want, but there are obvious limitations we must enforce to keep the peace.

Let me know if I'm crazy. 🙂

Thanks,
Corey
Based on this description I'd be all for it ~ especially if it keeps the drama there and not on the community board. I imagine it will take more moderating to move or delete threads on the CB, but if you are up for it I think it will make the CB a much more enjoyable space for random fun conversation and less trolling.

I am finally drifting back after at taking (mostly) a year "off" from disboards. Many of the issues/topics you are referring to Corey, were/are debated (sometimes in a mean and nasty way) ad nauseum until I couldn't even open up disboards anymore. I love a good debate with a polite and articulate opponent. I have noticed in that time that many of my disboard "friends" are no where to be seen these days which makes me sad. I wonder if some of the nasty comments wore on them as well.

I appreciate that you are addressing the issue of controversial subjects that seem to turn into a food fight. If everyone was polite and respectful there would still be people who are offended by certain subjects and that is just how life is.

Most people who are on disboards are here for mostly Disney related subjects and yes, many are controversial BUT Disney is Disney and IMO those subjects should be able to be discussed with civility. At some point, things often seem to take a turn into name calling and snarky remarks which is where I bow out as that is not why I am here.

If disboard members want to get into the weeds about certain subjects, have at it. I appreciate giving a debate forum to those that do. No thank you from me though as I am just here for the pixie dust. Thanks Corey!

I am finally drifting back after at taking (mostly) a year "off" from disboards. Many of the issues/topics you are referring to Corey, were/are debated (sometimes in a mean and nasty way) ad nauseum until I couldn't even open up disboards anymore. I love a good debate with a polite and articulate opponent. I have noticed in that time that many of my disboard "friends" are no where to be seen these days which makes me sad. I wonder if some of the nasty comments wore on them as well.

I appreciate that you are addressing the issue of controversial subjects that seem to turn into a food fight. If everyone was polite and respectful there would still be people who are offended by certain subjects and that is just how life is.

Most people who are on disboards are here for mostly Disney related subjects and yes, many are controversial BUT Disney is Disney and IMO those subjects should be able to be discussed with civility. At some point, things often seem to take a turn into name calling and snarky remarks which is where I bow out as that is not why I am here.

If disboard members want to get into the weeds about certain subjects, have at it. I appreciate giving a debate forum to those that do. No thank you from me though as I am just here for the pixie dust. Thanks Corey!
WE JOINED THE SAME EXACT DATE! 20 years, WOW!

And I agree with you. Take breaks off and on too, sometimes it just loses it's shine & magic.

I like the fact that the moderation of our CB has allowed certain conversations to definitely go further than the way it was before this summer. I don't get very vocal on controversial topics but I do enjoy reading the many comments. If I agree or disagree; it doesn't matter. I love reading opinions and facts on both sides of the fence.

I do appreciate as others have mentioned, Webmaster Corey, you giving us a say in this matter. Having been here almost 24 years, that means a lot. Thank you.

WE JOINED THE SAME EXACT DATE! 20 years, WOW!

And I agree with you. Take breaks off and on too, sometimes it just loses it's shine & magic.
We are *twins*!! All good and we have both commented on threads many times in a respectful way which is how it should be! Great catch on the date! :love:

I think it could be a good idea. My concern would be how to keep things fair for both sides of a debate. I would not want to see posts either be allowed to stay open or be shut down because they “tended” to lean a certain way politically. If both sides can be cordial then I would hope the posts would remain no matter what view any moderators may have on a subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter