CONFIRMED covid-19 family knew they tested positive and chose to visit WDW and fly on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Covid has taught me one thing it’s that I had way too much faith in humans and their willingness to do the right thing before. I giggle every time someone talks about how in an actual zombie apocalypse humans would be running towards the zombies because “you can’t tell me not to!!”

Years ago, on a family vacation to Maui my 10 year old got a mean stomach bug the night before we were going to fly home. The rest of the family flew home while I extended our hotel room. Within a day she was feeling much better, so we spent a day at the beach and I booked the flight home the following day. And yes, it cost us a few thousand dollars to do that.

When we got to the airport there were multiple families with miserable children, sitting in line, throwing up into plastic bags. So yes, there are families that will get on a long flight while very sick because they either don’t have or won’t spend the money to extend until they feel better.

I look at the number of non-Floridians testing positive in the Orlando and Osceola areas and I would wager most are getting on airplanes to go home anyway.

I have not lost faith in humanity and here's why. Remember that first story in March about the person who was coughing up blood on the plane from MCO and died in a hospital shortly after arriving at LA. Back in the summer I would have predicted that someone either dying on a flight or soon afterwards would become at least a monthly occurrence. Yet here it is now in December and we have a grand total of one that has been reported. Sure there have been other reports of COVID positive people flying, and sure there have probably been some deaths involved eventually - if not from the folks that actually flew but from someone that may have been infected later on down the line. But given the numbers that have been flying all over the country the past couple of months, and especially starting before Thanksgiving, I would have expected more than one story similar to this by now.

So here's my question... I thought airlines were supposed to be screening passengers before they board? So... what happened here? I mean if he was sick enough to die on the plane with Covid symptoms, someone dropped the ball in screening.

I just flew United last week. You’d never know covid was a thing except for the masks. No temp checks, middle seats weren’t empty but we did get a disinfectant wipe when we boarded. It was a full flight and we got drinks and snacks.

They did state you had to socially distance while boarding and when we were getting off the plane. But how. That part was comical.

I flew knowing the risks so I was fine with it all. No complaints.

Excellent reason to drive

My husband has never been a fan of flying (hence why on our first trip we drive the 1664 miles to Disney), and Covid has definitely NOT helped that. Which sucks, since I had finally gotten him convinced to fly on our next trip :guilty:

I just flew United last week. You’d never know covid was a thing except for the masks. No temp checks, middle seats weren’t empty but we did get a disinfectant wipe when we boarded. It was a full flight and we got drinks and snacks.

They did state you had to socially distance while boarding and when we were getting off the plane. But how. That part was comical.

I flew knowing the risks so I was fine with it all. No complaints.
You've already had Covid, right? Would you be fine with it if you hadn't already had the virus?

You've already had Covid, right? Would you be fine with it if you hadn't already had the virus?

Yes I booked the flight before I had covid. Honestly I think blocking middle seats on a plane is only to give people a sense of security. I think it’s a false sense of security and it doesn’t really help at all. You’re on an enclosed plane. If you are flying and going to a theme park you have to be willing to accept the risks. Just my opinion.

Blocking the middle seat isn't really effective. The only time we double masked on our trip during Thanksgiving was on the plane when we were not in the air. I am comfortable with the level of filtration in the air of the airplane when in flight but when on the ground - there is no real filtration happening.
So I double masked.
We flew American - people were not listening to the "rules" or wearing masks properly but I am more afraid of traumatizing my kid by confronting someone about that than I am about the risk they pose to me.
So we did what we thought was safe and we were fine.

This is actually the first trip we've taken where one of us didn't come home and get sick later - usually one of us gets a cold especially this time of year.

I feel like my blood is 20% ABV at this point from the amount of antibacterial I have been using so maybe that's why....

Wife works for united airlines. Confirmed by the CDC testing too. A passenger died flying home after a vacation to WDW on the airplane. So cal family chose to travel to WDW even though they had tested positive and one family member had symptoms. They knew they had covid-19 but chose to go on vacation. Can't believe people would knowing fly twice and be in such a crowded space . Unreal and it's a cross country flight not a hop.

I know trips cost alot but everyone is waiving Change fees right now. Crazy story coming out. United also isn't blocking middle seats and will sell 100% of the plane. I know they are not alone they just got caught because sadly a passenger died on the flight and family admitted it to paramedics trying to save the life when they emergency landed in new orleans

California should have opened Disneyland. Then this wouldn't have happened.

My husband has never been a fan of flying (hence why on our first trip we drive the 1664 miles to Disney), and Covid has definitely NOT helped that. Which sucks, since I had finally gotten him convinced to fly on our next trip :guilty:

My husband doesn’t mind flying, in fact we had the Southwest companion deal which we used a total of twice due to the shutdown. We flew and booked Tony Hinds’ car service for the past few years, loved being dropped off directly at the hotel. Better than Uber because we had a grocery store stop at Publix for snacks, fruit, and alcohol. He was planning on retiring anyway back in January 2020, the last time we used Tony. It felt like a luxury and what a nice guy and a good value.

All depends on how one was raised, I spent a huge wad of cash renting a ranch through airbnb for the total eclipse. Had a major project at work which ran into unexpected delay, I cancelled my ticket. I solved the problem the day before the eclipse. But too late and spent the next two weeks feeling sorry for myself, Yes rest of family went on trip and had great vacation. But i was raised to do the ‘right thing’ regardless of personal cost and i’ve never had the Boy Scout attitude. But i guess this is not very common anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter