Completely Stupid Question About SunPass

More info please. I live out of state and and vacation once a year or more at the Fort. I usually pay cash at the toll plazas. (Turnpike from Ocala, 4?? to Western Way, sometimes Greeneway or Osceola Pkwy) Is it less $$ or just more convenient to use Sunpass? If I get the mini, there's no cost actually to me? Am I missing anything else?

It is actually a little less money to use SunPass. You get a slight discount when using SunPass.

Now, the thing is to make it worthwhile you need to have a trip within 30 days of purchasing the pass to get the $4.99 credited to your account.

Step-by-step

You purchase the sticker at the available places.

Go to www.sunpass.com, register the sticker and your vehicle, and using a credit card, put money on your account.

It will take approximately 24 hours for your account to be active.

The 4.99 is credited to your account, but it expires in 30 days. The money YOU add to your account does not expire.

So, if you purchase it on your way to WDW (the best place without going out of your way is the Okahumpka service center on the main turnpike).

If you have online access at WDW, then you can activate it during your trip, then use it on the way home.

If you go to www.sunpass.com, it will explain most everything.

I purchased mine on the way home from my trip last weekend. Since I'm going back on the 23rd, my $4.99 credit will still be good, and I'll get to use it.

Since I pull a single axle trailer, it cost me $14.00 round trip to WDW use the toll roads paying cash, with the SunPass, I "think" it will cost me $12.00 round trip to use the toll roads.

Carol,

I'm glad you posted this - it's a great idea. Even if you go once a year like this I like the idea (especially when towing) of not having to brake, pay, and then accelerate again. I'm going to remember this before we go this Thanksgiving. But I assume the Publix or CVS you purchase it from has to be in the state of Florida? Probably.

Thanks,

Bama ED

PS-hey, saw a picture of your Mouse-ke-T@b trailer in the Fort Wilderness Photo Gallery section on allears.net and said to myself, "hey, I know whose that is" :)

Carol,

. But I assume the Publix or CVS you purchase it from has to be in the state of Florida? Probably.

:)

Go visit your local Publix and ask the manager to special order one for you, or at least try and get a nearby florida store to transfer one in to that store for you. They should be more than happy to take care of you, if not let me know the store and I see what I can do.

Also, I just realized, the 4.99 credit is probably not put on the account until you activiate the account, so if you can't activate during your trip, buy one on the way home and wait till right before your next trip to activate the account. Then you don't lose the 4.99.

Also, as somebody else mentioned, be sure and list your camper as a vehicle on the SunPass account, so it is easier for them to deduct the charge for the additional axles. Apparently it takes longer for them to deduct the trailer charge if you don't.

Okay, if we fly down and rent a car how would this work ... or wouldn't it?

The mini wouldn't work on a rental car as it has to be affixed permanently to a windshield.

A regular SunPass is $24 and change. You would have to make a lot of SunPass trips to get your $24 back as that price is not credited to your account.

Well, just to report, my SunPass Mini worked perfectly!! I just checked my account and it was only $11.50 in tolls pulling my trailer to WDW and back instead of $14.00 that it would have cost in cash.

$4.00 each way on the main turnpike and $1.75 each way on 429

It did show extra axle adjustment on the account, so apparently I was charged the initial, then adjusted for the extra axle. I didn't have a chance to check the account before they did the adjustment.

Next trip, I'll get to see how the automatic reload of my account works :-)

So even for occasional travelers, the Mini is a great deal. Not only did I get my $4.99 back, the savings on just one trip has covered the sales tax I paid on the mini, and almost a gallon of gas!! (Or a Mickey Bar, however you want to look at it!!)

Got mine in the mail from the relative, I thought about it for years but never knew about the minis and couldn't justify the cost, this is great. Thanks Carol for the nudge here!:thumbsup2

Got mine in the mail from the relative, I thought about it for years but never knew about the minis and couldn't justify the cost, this is great. Thanks Carol for the nudge here!:thumbsup2

I think the minis are fairly new (within the last 6 months or so)

Well, I got my Mini today!

I had gone to my local Publix store here in Alabama and asked if they could get one from a store in Florida sent up here to me. They investigated and said I could just call a Florida store and they would ring up the sale on a credit card over the phone and mail it to me. That process worked fine - and it arrived today.

I hope I get the chance to use it more than just once or twice - I'd like to pull the pop-up down to the Keys some time. With the Suburban towing, I probably will save money on Day One by not having to come to a stop and then accelerate at the toll booth on the way back and forth to WallyWorld.

Bama ED

PS-if anyone wants the contact info for the store that sent me my mini, let me know. They did what they said they would do which is all I could ask for! :woohoo:

Okay, if we fly down and rent a car how would this work ... or wouldn't it?

Some of the rental car companies already have their cars equipped with the Sun pass. They do charge you an additional fee if it's used. The cost of the toll and I believe an extra $2.50 a day when it's activated. At least that's been our experience. Either way...I'd simply inquire with the rental company you plan to use as to whether they have vehicles equipped with a Sun Pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter