Comcast offers $66 billion for Disney

Isn't it ironic that the news of this "deal" broke the day that the Comcast rate hikes went into effect here in PA.

This is nothing but bad news. Disney should counter by selling their television division, that is where the problems are and it would be a natural fit for Comcast.

Yes, this bid was engineered by Roy Disney. I don't think he really wants Disney to become part of another company; he just wants to force Eisner out.

What shocked me most is that Disney has debt. As much as Disney charges for EVERYTHING you'd think they were debt free. And it seems they are always building, and remodeling. The debt is the shocker for me.

What's sad is Walt Disney probably is rolling over in his grave to hear even a consideration of his dream sold. Its sickens me to hear a son could even think about giving something so PRICELESS away. There isn't enough money in this world to replace the magic of Disney. Shame on all of them for the thought. Disney should have laughed in their faces. To even think that Disney 10 years from now could be so impersonal ....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm another Disney lover hoping this buy out doesn't happen! :( We have Comcast here in TN and HATE it....we just got a rate increase this month.The Dish is in the near future at our house too.

I think Eisner is on his way out but geez I'm praying Comcast doesn't aquire the Disney Company...what are we gonna do...switch to Warner Brothers ?!?!? Nooooo!!!! :earseek:

I hate Comcast! If there were a viable alternative here in Baltimore County I would jump on it. But here, as I suppose elsewhere, Comcast is a monopoly.

How does a monopoly make such galactic profits in a relatively short period of time to spend 66BN?

I hate Comcast! But, what real part they will play in this unfolding story remains to be seen. Is Roy putting some intense pressure on Michael through Comcast or what? Is Steve Jobs joining Roys campaign? Geeze, and right before the Annual Meeting too! Perhaps this Disney is more creative than we all thought, including M.E.

In my opinion, Michael has done enough damage to the company in the past few years, and has looted way too much money from the company- it's time to say good-bye!

To see what Stan and Roy have to say about these recent developements, see- www.savedisney.com

All I keep seeing is that scene in "A Wonderful Life" when George Bailey comes into town and discovers that it is now Pottersville! His little quaint town is gone and is replaced by a dirty, disgusting town. Is this the fate of Disney World? I could just cry . . .

Yes, this bid was engineered by Roy Disney. I don't think he really wants Disney to become part of another company; he just wants to force Eisner out.

According to the statement he put out on his savedisney website, it looks like he's in favor of the comcast take-over. I almost don't want to know what's really going on because I fear my Disney bubble may be burst.

Originally posted by flyinglizard

I hate Comcast! But, what real part they will play in this unfolding story remains to be seen. Is Roy putting some intense pressure on Michael through Comcast or what? Is Steve Jobs joining Roys campaign? Geeze, and right before the Annual Meeting too! Perhaps this Disney is more creative than we all thought, including M.E.

In my opinion, Michael has done enough damage to the company in the past few years, and has looted way too much money from the company- it's time to say good-bye!

To see what Stan and Roy have to say about these recent developements, see- www.savedisney.com

Great points. I think these are really key to keep in mind. In my humble opinion...Michael has let the Disney company get to the point that anything like this could really ever really happen.

And I too....am curious what REAL part this comcast offer is going to play. I'm hoping & guessing (maybe naively...wishful thinking) that comcast will never really own anything Disney (well...maybe the TV division or the like).

SaveDisney.com is a VERY informative site. HIGHLY recommended.

This is such a classic case of "be careful what you wish for."

Those calling for Eisner to be ousted may well get something worse - someone even farther from Walt's vision.

And don't fixate on the new owner being Comcast. This isnt even close to being decided. Eisner will probably try to negotiate mergers with other players. If he can cut a deal on his terms, it will be better for him than being ousted in an unsolicited takeover. And there are worse options than Comcast...

Harambe: All I keep seeing is that scene in "A Wonderful Life" when George Bailey comes into town and discovers that it is now Pottersville!

I feel like that too! I have been going to Disney since I was 18 mo old. I think no matter whether you think Comcast is an evil meglomaniacal presence or not, all of us are fearing the changes that a non-Disney mentality will bring. I for one can't stand thinking about what it would be like if Disney as we know it ceased to exist.

Speaking of irony,,,,this happening on the same day that Pluto gets run over at Disney..........

:(

I read Roy's comment (who is Walt's nephew, not his son as a previous poster asserted) and reading between the lines, I think Roy is looking for this situation to force Eisner and other board members out. Maybe he is looking to be somehow re-instated to the board himself?

Even if the hostile bid is successful, the Congress has already stated major concerns over this merger. The FCC chair said that this would be gone over with a fine-toothed comb. Senator McCain (R-AZ) also voiced serious concern over this merger.

In short, even if Comcast is successful, this isn't really going to happen.

I hope that Disney just gets rid of ABC. That alone should be a big help to the parent company.

Right now, Eisner might be an asset. I'd think he'd slit his own wrists before letting a hostile bid succeed.

I wonder how many times Mr. Comcast (Sorry dont' remember his name) has been to Walt Disney World. I think in order for Disney World to remain the place that we love, you will have to find someone who cares about preserving that more than making a lot more money. Where in this country (besides this board) are you going to find that?

I seriously doubt that Comcast wants the parks or even
W. Disney Pictures; what they want is ESPN, and possibly Miramax. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they had a deal with Roy Disney to spin off the parks and the core film business if they did manage to acquire Disney.

The whole thing makes me so nauseous.

I am getting sick thinking about Comcast placing their logo on the entrance to the Magic Kingdom, or even worse, changing the name to Comcast/Spectacor/Disneyworld. One thing's for sure: they'll have to terminate all of Disney's current cast members because they are all way too intelligent to be employees of Comcast.

If the sale goes through, Comcast will most likely absorb all of Disney's media outlets into their own, and sell the parks to the highest bidder.

Thanks Michael Eisner, for making all of our nightmares a reality. You should thank your lucky stars that you've managed to award yourself millions and millions in bonuses and stock before your reign was done.

Originally posted by Kim&Chris
One thing's for sure: they'll have to terminate all of Disney's current cast members because they are all way too intelligent to be employees of Comcast.

Oh you are too funny, but you speak the truth. And that's why I have the Dish.... I love it!!! I wouldn't take cable if it was free!!!!

I don't think it's Roy's intent to come back and manage Disney, even if Eisner leaves. I believe Roy's looking to put the company in the hands of someone who he thinks would best carry on Walt's legacy.

Should the Comcast deal go through, I've heard the parks would be sold off to another company for around $18-20 billion. I've heard Hilton mentioned as a buyer, but that's just speculation. I'm not even sure if they could come up with that kind of financing.

Len

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter