College

im excited. itll be my third year of college, and this year i get to take the mcat! and i also get to apply to medical school this year! yay!
im taking 17 credits and my classes are: i go back in Aug. 23 and i commute by a 12 minute train ride.

Genetics (no lab)
College Physics II + Lab
Human Biology (no lab)
Introduction to Environmental Sciences
Principles of Sociology

all are major required except sociology, eewww anyways really excited but im taking one extra course, yikes!

I’ve always thought I was too old for the teen thread at 18, going off to college and all that, so thanks for making me feel like less of a creeper XD

I move into my dorm on August 14 (SOOO excited to be away from these killjoys I have to call my family!) and officially start my freshman year a week later. My school doesn’t let you declare a major until junior year, but at the moment I’m leaning towards being a theatre major because that’s what I love to do ^__^

im excited. itll be my third year of college, and this year i get to take the mcat! and i also get to apply to medical school this year! yay!
im taking 17 credits and my classes are: i go back in Aug. 23 and i commute by a 12 minute train ride.

Genetics (no lab)
College Physics II + Lab
Human Biology (no lab)
Introduction to Environmental Sciences
Principles of Sociology

all are major required except sociology, eewww anyways really excited but im taking one extra course, yikes!
Sounds like a tough year! What's kind of medicine do you want to practice?

I’ve always thought I was too old for the teen thread at 18, going off to college and all that, so thanks for making me feel like less of a creeper XD

I move into my dorm on August 14 (SOOO excited to be away from these killjoys I have to call my family!) and officially start my freshman year a week later. My school doesn’t let you declare a major until junior year, but at the moment I’m leaning towards being a theatre major because that’s what I love to do ^__^

Pfft...I'm gonna be 21 in a matter of months. You're fine. I'm the one that should feel like a creep! lol
College is so great! You're gonna have a blast!

Baha i know, I was just messin'
Plus, my school has such a horrible pre-med program.

What hospital does Albright go to? We took a field trip down to Reading Hospital and their facilities seemed very advanced. It was too "farm town" like for me though once you got out of downtown Reading.

My sister, I think got a 16-something and got a lot of money to go to Drexel I think. They don't care as much about your SAT scores as is your normal grades in college.

And La Salle isn't much higher than a 1500, I'm pretty sure..I only got a 1500 and I would have gotten accepted.

And remember that the avg that Collegeboard says doesn't mean you have to make that amount to get in. I got into Seton Hall with my first SAT score of a 1400(which I am not proud of) and there avg is 1600.

Oh and take the SATs as much as possible...you can only improve your scores now since they take the best sections you did.

I have Temple and PSU as my "last resort" schools, Pitt and UPenn as my reach schools, but I'm fairly positive I could get into LaSalle or Drexel.

My grades are fairly good. I'm an A/B student who takes honors classes with a 3.5ish GPA. If I could get my GPA up by 1 point I'd be eligible for NHS which is something I'm def working on this year. My SAT scores aren't that great. I got a 1580 on PSATs, and an 1800 on practice SATs in SATPrep, so imagine my disappointment when I got a 1500 for the first time taking SATs. /:
I would be the jerk to say a "Different Way of Drinking" but only if it was a party school. lol

Omg you read my mind! I was saying that in my head before you even wrote that out.

OMG!! We have a keg crawl every year that the students put on as a fund raiser for cancer research. And the tshirts this year had that saying on it! lol

<3 Who's the genius who put alcohol and a fundraiser for cancer research together? I will marry them. :rotfl:

What hospital does Albright go to? We took a field trip down to Reading Hospital and their facilities seemed very advanced. It was too "farm town" like for me though once you got out of downtown Reading.

I have Temple and PSU as my "last resort" schools, Pitt and UPenn as my reach schools, but I'm fairly positive I could get into LaSalle or Drexel.

My grades are fairly good. I'm an A/B student who takes honors classes with a 3.5ish GPA. If I could get my GPA up by 1 point I'd be eligible for NHS which is something I'm def working on this year. My SAT scores aren't that great. I got a 1580 on PSATs, and an 1800 on practice SATs in SATPrep, so imagine my disappointment when I got a 1500 for the first time taking SATs. /:

Omg you read my mind! I was saying that in my head before you even wrote that out.

<3 Who's the genius who put alcohol and a fundraiser for cancer research together? I will marry them. :rotfl:

I don't even know. It's a bio/pre-med program. They probably go to Reading hospital, but I'm not close to anyone who's majoring in that. There are probably like 30 people who are pre-med majors in the entire school. Like I said, it's a sucky program. lol

Oh, and you're gonna have to wait in line behind me. I already called dibs on that guy! lol
From what I head, some kid was diagnosed with cancer while at Albright, and the students started this to help with his medical bills. Now it's been going on for like 5 years now, and it's a huge thing at my school. Even the cops don't care. I didn't participate this year because if I get an underage drinking on my record, I am basically screwed and can't become a teacher. But from what I've heard from others who have done it, when the cops show up, they basically just "warn everyone" or kick them off to the next house.

I don't even know. It's a bio/pre-med program. They probably go to Reading hospital, but I'm not close to anyone who's majoring in that. There are probably like 30 people who are pre-med majors in the entire school. Like I said, it's a sucky program. lol

Oh, and you're gonna have to wait in line behind me. I already called dibs on that guy! lol
From what I head, some kid was diagnosed with cancer while at Albright, and the students started this to help with his medical bills. Now it's been going on for like 5 years now, and it's a huge thing at my school. Even the cops don't care. I didn't participate this year because if I get an underage drinking on my record, I am basically screwed and can't become a teacher. But from what I've heard from others who have done it, when the cops show up, they basically just "warn everyone" or kick them off to the next house.

Awww that sounds so cool! Minus the cops showing up and not being able to participate /:

Okay, so if you take the SATs in January, would you still be able to send those scores to the schools you applied to already?

SATs seem awful. And all those other awful tests.
I don't want to belittle Canadian universities, but you basically just need good grades, be well rounded (extra currics, volunteering) and have passed a easy standardized test in grade nine. So basically, worrying about getting into university isn't a major issue for me I guess. Just how the hell I'm going to pay for it.

I wish UNH accepted writing SAT scores. But they don't. Just math and reading. My overall SAT score was higher than 90% of my friends, but I didn't make the honours program because without my writing score, I missed the cut-off by 30 points. :/

And they don't look at it at all. I had to sit through Freshman Writing this semester (and, not gonna lie, my final grade: 99) all because I didn't shell out $80 to take the AP Lit exam senior year. My writing score was 710! That's in the 98th Percentile nationwide and I still had to sit (read: sleep) through this class when I could have been taking one for my major.

If a school doesn't accept SAT scores, that's fine with me. But if you accept one or two, accept them all.

I wish UNH accepted writing SAT scores. But they don't. Just math and reading. My overall SAT score was higher than 90% of my friends, but I didn't make the honours program because without my writing score, I missed the cut-off by 30 points. :/

And they don't look at it at all. I had to sit through Freshman Writing this semester (and, not gonna lie, my final grade: 99) all because I didn't shell out $80 to take the AP Lit exam senior year. My writing score was 710! That's in the 98th Percentile nationwide and I still had to sit (read: sleep) through this class when I could have been taking one for my major.

If a school doesn't accept SAT scores, that's fine with me. But if you accept one or two, accept them all.

ITA. It's really unfair if they only take certain ones.

My program is: Concurrent Education BA Child and Youth Studies (Honors) / BEd Primary/Junior (but I am going to be doing an upgrade course where I can teach grades K-10).

Let's see, I am in my sophomore year and will be living once again on campus. I didn't want to go through the hassle of finding a house and commuting from the house to the school because with my program the classes are always spread out and I thought that if I lived on campus than I could have my schedule the way I wanted it to be because it only takes me 10 minutes to walk to class.

My classes this year:

- Child and Youth Development
- Childhood, Youth and Society
- Diversity and Development
- Pre-Confederation Canada
- Post Confederation Canada
- Principles of Service-Learning Practicum
- Statistics and Research Design in the Behavioural Sciences
- The Americas

I get to also do a placement this year in an elementary school so that should be fun!

I never left school :lmao:
I decided to take summer classes this year (Florida requires at least 9 credit hours of summer) so I wanted to get that over with. I was working all summer anyway and the classes I took were fairly easy.

I go to the University of Central Florida majoring in Hospitality Management & a specialization in theme parks. Classes for the summer end on August 5 for me. I start classes in the fall on August 23. I only have classes Monday-Wednesday, but I also have two jobs and a sorority to function around. It's going to be a crazy year, but I am excited :)

For those worried about money, don't worry to much. The spring of my senior year I had weekly panic attacks worrying about how I would pay for college, & I had to take out a loan my freshmen year. Then I was able to work out two jobs (I became an RA which pays for MOST of my housing, & another part time job that pays for books), I still have scholarships etc. So although I do owe money, the experience of being at college is completely worth it. Do what you can within your budget and it will all fall into place.

Community College is not a bad idea either. I know a lot of people who went to a community college their first two years and got all their gen ed's out of the way, and transferred to a university. Gen Ed classes are generally easier at Community college anyways, so you will get a better GPA in the end.

I never left school :lmao:
I decided to take summer classes this year (Florida requires at least 9 credit hours of summer) so I wanted to get that over with. I was working all summer anyway and the classes I took were fairly easy.

I go to the University of Central Florida majoring in Hospitality Management & a specialization in theme parks. Classes for the summer end on August 5 for me. I start classes in the fall on August 23. I only have classes Monday-Wednesday, but I also have two jobs and a sorority to function around. It's going to be a crazy year, but I am excited :)

For those worried about money, don't worry to much. The spring of my senior year I had weekly panic attacks worrying about how I would pay for college, & I had to take out a loan my freshmen year. Then I was able to work out two jobs (I became an RA which pays for MOST of my housing, & another part time job that pays for books), I still have scholarships etc. So although I do owe money, the experience of being at college is completely worth it. Do what you can within your budget and it will all fall into place.

Community College is not a bad idea either. I know a lot of people who went to a community college their first two years and got all their gen ed's out of the way, and transferred to a university. Gen Ed classes are generally easier at Community college anyways, so you will get a better GPA in the end.

Which sorority did you join?

I go to college next year, but I'm freaking out. I wanted to move away but I had a bad experience this summer and I don't think I can live far away. Therefore I'm going to live at home and attend school. I don't think I could handle living on campus with a roomate. I need a house, and my own space, I'm a very private person.

I'm pretty sure I know which school I want to go too and I'll get a lot of scholarships and financial aid. I won't have any problems getting in, but the whole fact of growing up and being an adult scares me. I feel like I'm too young for it and I don't know what to do. :eek:

I have to start paying some of my own bills when I turn 18 and I still don't have a job. I'm working on finding one, but my last job was the most horrid thing I've ever experienced. Ugh, I wish my job would be going to school.

Julie- I plan on becoming a pediatric hematologist. I'm really interested in working with Leukemia patients, especially.

I go to college next year, but I'm freaking out. I wanted to move away but I had a bad experience this summer and I don't think I can live far away. Therefore I'm going to live at home and attend school. I don't think I could handle living on campus with a roomate. I need a house, and my own space, I'm a very private person.

I'm pretty sure I know which school I want to go too and I'll get a lot of scholarships and financial aid. I won't have any problems getting in, but the whole fact of growing up and being an adult scares me. I feel like I'm too young for it and I don't know what to do. :eek:

I have to start paying some of my own bills when I turn 18 and I still don't have a job. I'm working on finding one, but my last job was the most horrid thing I've ever experienced. Ugh, I wish my job would be going to school.
Most colleges do offer single rooms, if you don't want a roommate. I don't blame you with that choice. My first roomie was a stranger, we got along ok, but then our friendship just went down hill and we didn't speak when we were in the room together. Then my second roomie was my "best friend" on campus, and it turned out she's a complete psycho path and basically moved out of our room and into her boyfriend's room. It was just an ugly experience.

Now i'm living in an on campus apartment with 3 other friends, plus the entire building is all girls/friends from my sorority, so I'm hoping this situation will work out better!! haha

Best of luck with you! :hug: And everything will be ok!

Julie- I plan on becoming a pediatric hematologist. I'm really interested in working with Leukemia patients, especially.
Awww..my older brother had Leukemia when he was 14. Leukemia patients will always have a place in my heart.
What exactly does a hematologist do? I'm guessing something with blood? My nursing/medical lingo is horrendous..lol

First of all, congratulations on going to college next year - that is amazing - you should be very proud of yourself!! Secondly, I completely understand where you are coming from with your post. The entire summer before my freshman year I spent practically every day worrying about university. I was constantly telling myself that I was not ready for it and I didn't want to go through with it etc. Those things that you are worried about are completely understandable because many people feel that way as well. I requested a single room (when I applied for residence) because I also didn't want a roommate because I wasn't sure if I would be able to get along with the person, and i'm the type of person that needs my space - especially when it comes to school and school work.

To be quite honest as soon as I entered my freshman year all of the worries I had went away because I noticed that I had no need to be worried. University is so much fun because you get to learn what you actually want to learn, or at least it is for me.

Everything will be alright, don't worry :) :thumbsup2 :hug:

Thanks guys!

It's cheaper for me to live at home and my mom doesn't mind at all as long as I pay some of my own bills. I can easily find my own house when I get the money around here too so there's a lot of positives for me here. Almost all of my family has lived here for a really long time, so we're super tight and I don't think I could just leave. I really want to do the Disney CP so I think if I do that it'll be a good experience since I'll be living in a big city with a roomate and it's only temporary so I have plenty of time for it.

I didn't know you could ask for a single person room, I always thought you had to have a roomate.

I'll be taking an online class from another university while attending a local college too, has anyone done this? We will meet around 2 times a semester, but I've never done any kind of online class, so I'm wondering how it will be.

Thanks guys!

It's cheaper for me to live at home and my mom doesn't mind at all as long as I pay some of my own bills. I can easily find my own house when I get the money around here too so there's a lot of positives for me here. Almost all of my family has lived here for a really long time, so we're super tight and I don't think I could just leave. I really want to do the Disney CP so I think if I do that it'll be a good experience since I'll be living in a big city with a roomate and it's only temporary so I have plenty of time for it.

I didn't know you could ask for a single person room, I always thought you had to have a roomate.

I'll be taking an online class from another university while attending a local college too, has anyone done this? We will meet around 2 times a semester, but I've never done any kind of online class, so I'm wondering how it will be.

I'm doing that right now, actually. I took my first online class last semester and LOVED it - I love being able to sit down, open my computer and complete the assignment wherever and whenever I want (as long as it's before the deadline). I also found that an online class took up a lot less of my time because I didn't have to walk to and from and sit in class for 3 hours a week (or however long the class is). Right now I'm taking summer school online at a local community college and it's sooo much easier than my regular university, plus it's a LOT cheaper! I'm taking an online spanish class this fall because I really needed to take the class, but it's a 5 hour class and I absolutely could not fit it into my schedule.

I also love online classes because a lot of the time I prefer talking to people online rather than face-to-face (especially in a classroom setting). Some of my professors have daily participation points that you must earn by contributing to conversations, and sometimes that's really hard for me to do. Most of my online classes have had discussion boards that you must post on, which counts as your participation. They can be a pain to do, but I'd much rather do that than have to talk constantly in class.

Good luck with your online class & with college. If you have any questions about online classes or just college in general, make sure to PM me :)

I've never taken the SAT, but I took the ACT several times. The only schools around here that really honestly care about your act score are the prestigious private schools like Belmont and Vanderbilt and Sewanne. The state schools just want a minimum score of 19 or 21 (I can't remember which) but if you score exceptionally high, you can get extra scholarship money.

Thanks guys!

I've done the online class thing twice. Once with english and once with math. The english went fine (just write essays and put them in the drop box) but the math was the most painful experience of my life. I'm actually not too bad at math, but the online program (my math lab) was terrible. I thought I was going to die. It would mark my answer wrong if I wrote "5" instead of "5.0" for the answer to be 5 :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter