College students and internships

samandryanmom

Mouseketeer
My daughter is just starting the process to find a summer engineering internship. For those of you whose kids have done internships, do companies provide places to live as a part of the internship?

Not usually, the DCP was the only one I came across that offered housing. The exception to that was if you took an internship out of the country and even then I only know of one that offered housing.

Temporary housing was the most stressful part of my daughters’s summer internship.

My advice would be, bring it up when the company calls with an offer. If the company has a program for summer multiple interns, the may have a list of options to pursue for housing. Things may be easier, if they are looking in a college town. Also, check out Airbnb’s to see if there are options too.

One of my children did a paid summer internship in a city thousands of miles away from home. The company had arranged for interns to pay (I believe it was $500 a month) to stay at the campus housing of a local University, should the intern so desire.

A friend's daughter roomed with a friend in an unfurnished apartment for a 2 month engineering internship this year.

They had to find their own place

My DS did an engineering internship at a large company in large city. They arranged or suggested that interns stay at a complex near local university (probably student housing). He had a couple of roommates found through an intern website.

A smaller company in an area without student housing might have a list of rooms or garage apartments available nearby. Perhaps a website to meet other interns to share housing.

My son is doing a paid engineering Co-op right now. He’s at a company in our town, so he doesn’t have to worry about housing, but he is working with other kids from different areas and I think a few of them are sharing an apartment. Most companies do not provide housing or housing allowances.

Neither of our two boys got housing, oldest did his at one of the National Laboratories and they did have a housing board. Many of the senior scientists would rent a room on a short term agreement they also had some short term apartments they had arrangements with for interns and others on 3-6-9 month projects. Other son is wrapping up one now with an Engineering firm and no housing, but he's local and they will keep him on year round about 10 hours/week. In both cases they new the options, or lack of, up front when they applied.

The company I work for has an intern program. We have an arrangement with a nearby apartment complex to allow short-term rentals for them if they wish, with arrangements also possible for furniture rental through an approved dealer. They often choose to share in order to keep expenses down. Basically we have one option to make it easier for them, but if they don't like that option then they must make their own arrangements. These days staying in an AirBNB is a popular alternative for those who want to live in a different part of town. (Hosts will often be willing to negotiate lower rates for a multi-week guest.)

Our daughter is leaving this weekend for 3 months in a city about 2 hours away from us for an unpaid internship. Finding temporary housing was far more challenging than I expected. We eventually found a place, but it took a long time to find and it’s definitely more expensive than we’d like. She was considering doing traveling for her job when she graduates, but the challenge of finding temporary housing has changed her mind.

My impression is that most companies do not provide living accommodations and those are the responsibility of the intern. There are older threads on the subject of paid vs. un-paid internships which can be quite controversial. Company where I work always pays interns a salary. They might provide leads or local information, but doesn't pay for the living arrangements. Interns are mostly viewed as an opportunity to learn about a potential future employer and interest those doing the internship to consider applying for a full-time once they graduate. Interns may also come from families of widely varying financial means, so what one person considers an acceptable place to live, another might not.

Explain to me what is an internship. I know that sounds like I am living in a bubble but in my day that was not a thing. From what I think it sounds like to me is a form of free labor with the prospect of a future job. In the past that would be illegal. Just sayin. Oh I think maybe credits towards school, seems like total taking advantage. And yes I hope your daughter gets at least free parking but seems like people get away with such incredible things nowadays like we are going backwards. Maybe I just don't understand it. What about kids that actually have to work and get real money while in school? That's how it was in my day.

@tinkerdorabelle its not really free labor, in the past many (I'd say most) true internships were an opportunity to get real life working experience in the field of study. Today, most of the interneships are paid and it s a blend of gaining experience and it's a recruitment tool as well. Both of my sons were paid and over $20/hour for their internships. There are some bad apples that to look at it as just free labor, but most universities will steer students clear of those types. My internship was unpaid but very strict guidelines of what I could and couldn't do - basically I could not replace an existing employee. As I was unpaid I did that for 8 hours then worked nights & weekends to early some $. I did feel I got a unique opporunity to learn, but payment would have been nice - but then I think I wouldn't have had the opportunities I had. A close family friend had her daughter in a free internship in the fashion industry, and it hands down was just free labor - she bailed after 4 weeks.

Explain to me what is an internship. I know that sounds like I am living in a bubble but in my day that was not a thing. From what I think it sounds like to me is a form of free labor with the prospect of a future job. In the past that would be illegal. Just sayin. Oh I think maybe credits towards school, seems like total taking advantage. And yes I hope your daughter gets at least free parking but seems like people get away with such incredible things nowadays like we are going backwards. Maybe I just don't understand it. What about kids that actually have to work and get real money while in school? That's how it was in my day.

It depends on the major. In my son's engineering program, they're required to do 4 full-time semester long co-ops (it's a 5-year program). They have to be paid co-ops, not unpaid internships. In his case, it's on the job experience, plus a chance for him to get a feel for whether or not this company (and this industry) is what he wants to do for a living. And for the companies, it's a chance to see if the student is someone who they might potentially like to hire once they graduate. My son's current co-op is paying him $20 a hour, so it's by far not free labor.

They have to be paid co-ops, not unpaid internships. In his case, it's on the job experience, plus a chance for him to get a feel for whether or not this company (and this industry) is what he wants to do for a living. And for the companies, it's a chance to see if the student is someone who they might potentially like to hire once they graduate.

Yes, my impression also of the purpose of most internships. It is better for a student to find out the actual type of jobs available are NOT what they thought BEFORE they accept a full-time job. Also better for the employer to see if that person would be a good fit for their company.

Where I work often have involvement with interns. Some are eager to do their assigned work and be involved. Some just want to surf the internet or chit chat on the phone with their friends who weren't working there. Became immediately obvious with that type of person that we would NOT be offering them a full-time job. If they are goof-offs as interns, what makes anyone think they would apply themselves once hired? Some interns seemed clueless that part of the purpose of the internship was like an extended job interview.

Last edited:
Where I work was often had involvement with interns. Some were eager to do their assigned work and be involved. Some just wanted to surf the internet or chit chat on the phone with their friends who weren't working there. Became immediately obvious with that type of person that we would NOT be offering them a full-time job. If they are goof-offs as interns, what makes anyone think they would apply themselves once hired? Some interns seemed clueless that part of the purpose of the internship was like an extended job interview.

Same with my wife's industry (Big 4 public accounting) - they use internships the same way: as a recruitment tool, but also an extended interview. Do reasonably well in your internship and you can pretty much be guaranteed an offer after graduation.

Internships can also tell you if a career isn't for you. My original career goal was to get my MDiv degree and work for several years as a minister and then get my Ph.D. and become a professor. I had 2 paid summer internships that included staying with church members. While I mostly enjoyed the internships, I realized that ministry wasn't for me. I became a college librarian instead.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Her first interview is Monday so I will remind her that details about salary and housing are important things to consider as she goes further into the process with potential internships.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter