College Football 2021

Morning chatter on sports talk radio up here in Tuscaloosa/Birmingham this morning :listen: is that Tulane LSU may play their Sept 11 home game against McNeese State in Birmingham at Legion Field. Would make sense if NOLA Baton Rouge is not ready for them and they are staying in the Birmingham area.

The new UAB stadium is being inaugurated the following Saturday 9/18 for UAB's home opener so I doubt the game would be played there. May not be 100% ready by a week sooner.

Bama Ed

PS - EDIT the 9/11 game with McNeese State is with LSU and not Tulane. We will see where the game lands in the next day or two.

Last edited:
OU 40-Tulane 35. Recovered an onsides kick with 2 minutes left but couldn’t convert.

we kept Bama off of ABC for afew minutes. Sorry bout that Ed.
No offense to Tulane, but how is #2 OU almost toppled in a early season out of conference match up? OU is such a diva. The SEC can have them.

The P-T ParaD teams fared well. K-State rolled up Stanford 24-7 and Army started pulling the starters in the 3rd against Georgia State (43-10).

I only caught 4th quarter of Bama vs the Canes. I volunteered to cut hay for the neighbor after he broke his foot.

Better than I expected. Young looked very good in highlights. I'll watch game on ESPN replay while I watch Georgia vs Clemson in background.

I was pulling for Tulane. Close, very close.

I was pulling for Tulane. Close, very close.

Yes tiggerdad, TU looked good. :magnify:

No offense to Tulane, but how is #2 OU almost toppled in a early season out of conference match up? OU is such a diva. The SEC can have them.

Let's just say we want their money. :rolleyes1

The P-T ParaD teams fared well. K-State rolled up Stanford 24-7 and Army started pulling the starters in the 3rd against Georgia State (43-10).

Stanford's loss goes to show that the Pac12 will still be the 5th of the Power 5 conferences. The Cardinal is supposedly in the top tier of Pac teams. Even with the 4 newly announced incoming teams they'll be 5th. And Washington lost to FCS team Wyoming? Or was it Montana? Oh my. :scared:

And LSU's loss to UCLA? :rotfl2:If the season gets much worse, LSU administration is going to take the ongoing Title 9 investigation and use it to fire Ed O for cause (and no buyout).

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Let's just say we want their money. :rolleyes1

I'm anxiously anticipating for about halfway through their first SEC season when they realize that they aren't going to get to plow over KU or ISU nor is the conference championship going to be a easy lay up before the playoffs start.

Since this is a Camping forum, I wanted to share the latest from the state park nearest my hometown of Tuscaloosa, AL (home of the Crimson Tide). That would be Lake Lurleen State Park.

I grew up as a kid going to LLSP in the summers to swim and enjoy the beach on the lake. Then as a youth in Boy Scouts, it was a cheap, close, easy-to-get place to get bitten by mosquitos, eat half cooked food, get rained on overnight, smell like campfire smoke when you went home, and absolutely have a blast with your buddies. It was even the first place we took our first pop-up camper (the Jayco 12' HighWall). LLSP was opened in the late 60s or early 70s and added onto over the years (the early part was for car camping) and not designed for back-in trailer spots. Additions to the park in future decades were trailer friendly and some effort was made to convert car camping sites to trailer sites but it's still not 100% trailer friendly.

All that to say ........

Everybody's trying to cash in on the Crimson Tide and so add LLSP to that list. It, along with one COE campground nearby, are the closest "camping" experiences to Tuscaloosa. There are camping trailer parks in town (zoning is very bu$ine$$ friendly) among sub-divisions but if you want a true camping experience, LLSP is half your choices within 30 minutes of town.

For the 2021 Alabama Football Season, LLSP is cashing in via the following ways:

https://www.alapark.com/parks/lake-lurleen-state-park/alabama-football-camping-packages

LLSP1.PNG

Book early, book for a long reservation, and pay for a couple months in full in advance .....

LLSP2.PNG

If you dare wait till the next call in date a month later, there is less commitment but WHO KNOWS if they will have room for you?

LLSP3.PNG

The choices after that are more affordable but I bet the pickings are slim:

LLSP4.PNG

And the T & C's are pretty tough. No specific campsite reservation mind you. You get what's available when you show up:

LLSP5.PNG

This kinda junk is why I still like my local CoE campground which is on a bluff upriver of town above a dam. It has site specific, simple reservation rules from recreation.gov. Know your site, know your dates? Just wait for the booking window and use the rules in your favor to work the system.

C19 new cases are starting a downward trend in Tuscaloosa County thankfully. Just in time for football season.

Roll Tide

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Since this is a Camping forum, I wanted to share the latest from the state park nearest my hometown of Tuscaloosa, AL (home of the Crimson Tide). That would be Lake Lurleen State Park.

I grew up as a kid going to LLSP in the summers to swim and enjoy the beach on the lake. Then as a youth in Boy Scouts, it was a cheap, close, easy-to-get place to get bitten by mosquitos, eat half cooked food, get rained on overnight, smell like campfire smoke when you went home, and absolutely have a blast with your buddies. It was even the first place we took our first pop-up camper (the Jayco 12' HighWall). LLSP was opened in the late 60s or early 70s and added onto over the years (the early part was for car camping) and not designed for back-in trailer spots. Additions to the park in future decades were trailer friendly and some effort was made to convert car camping sites to trailer sites but it's still not 100% trailer friendly.

All that to say ........

Everybody's trying to cash in on the Crimson Tide and so add LLSP to that list. It, along with one COE campground nearby, are the closest "camping" experiences to Tuscaloosa. There are camping trailer parks in town (zoning is very bu$ine$$ friendly) among sub-divisions but if you want a true camping experience, LLSP is half your choices within 30 minutes of town.

For the 2021 Alabama Football Season, LLSP is cashing in via the following ways:

https://www.alapark.com/parks/lake-lurleen-state-park/alabama-football-camping-packages

View attachment 603289

Book early, book for a long reservation, and pay for a couple months in full in advance .....

View attachment 603290

If you dare wait till the next call in date a month later, there is less commitment but WHO KNOWS if they will have room for you?

View attachment 603291

The choices after that are more affordable but I bet the pickings are slim:

View attachment 603293

And the T & C's are pretty tough. No specific campsite reservation mind you. You get what's available when you show up:

View attachment 603295

This kinda junk is why I still like my local CoE campground which is on a bluff upriver of town above a dam. It has site specific, simple reservation rules from recreation.gov. Know your site, know your dates? Just wait for the booking window and use the rules in your favor to work the system.

C19 new cases are starting a downward trend in Tuscaloosa County thankfully. Just in time for football season.

Roll Tide

Bama Ed

They could only come up with package A-D. Nothing like The Nick Saban Season Special, The Southbound Pachaderm Special. I mean come one get creative down there.

They could only come up with package A-D. Nothing like The Nick Saban Season Special, The Southbound Pachaderm Special. I mean come one get creative down there.

But, you $mart young fella you, I note that you didn't name a price for that package.

Once you do, you'll under$tand why I live within walking distance of campus.

My 'hood doesn't have room for your RV but I got room for a truck, sedan, or coupe (if you tow it from home) in the driveway. But I have no babysitting capacity for Reba for ~4 hrs. (which, sadly, is the length of a CBS telecast nowadays). :rolleyes: Me and DW would be going to the game with you and DW.

Ed

PS - if Randy/SouthAlabama5er came down my street, the city would shut down because it's a narrow street cul-de sac (subdiv built when the biggest car was a Model A Ford LOL 😆 ).

Last edited:
But, you $mart young fella you, I note that you didn't name a price for that package.

Once you do, you'll under$tand why I live within walking distance of campus.

My 'hood doesn't have room for your RV but I got room for a truck, sedan, or coupe (if you tow it from home) in the driveway. But I have no babysitting capacity for Reba for ~4 hrs. (which, sadly, is the length of a CBS telecast nowadays). :rolleyes: Me and DW would be going to the game with you and DW.

Ed

PS - if Randy/SouthAlabama5er came down my street, the city would shut down because it's a narrow street cul-de sac (subdiv built when the biggest car was a Model A Ford LOL 😆 ).

Well, have to see what next season brings. I won't be able to travel this year. But love me some football.

Ready for Opening Day at home tomorrow. Opponent is Mercer (Macon, GA) and not quite a sellout from the Ticket Office when StubHub has tix for $6 available. Non-conf schedule gets better when we start home/home with Texas next year (at Austin in 2022, Ttown 2023)

E-8c75lWEC0j5ai

Bama Ed

Well so far Ohio State has faultered, so how far will they fall in the poll. Bama is rolling with a punt block for a TD, pick turned into TD, and just got the ball back. Seems like they are playing the Mercer Teddy Bears. Big house tonight.

After the punt block and TD, they showed the crowd, I am sure I saw @bama_ed celebrating.

Last edited:
I was busy building a fence so I didn’t get to see the Tulane win or any other football today. I also need to find my antenna, as Cox just informed me they’ll send someone out on Thursday to figure out why I don’t have internet.

After the punt block and TD, they showed the crowd, I am sure I saw @bama_ed celebrating.

You probably did, PaHunter, they returned that blocked punt for a touchdown to the endzone on my end of the stadium! :cheer2:

Some pix of the day. First my new seats are in the 4th row of the upper deck in the corner of the stadium nearest the coach statues. I can take an elevator or spiral ramp up to my level and walk to my seats with no stairs (benefits some of my older family members and friends).

DD went with me and modeled the new location.

About 60% full. Not a sellout when StubHub has seats for $6 and you can pick your empty seat on the 50 to sit in.

There has been a building boom nearby since the city allowed taller building to be built closer to the stadium (not taller than the stadium) but that doomed all the old single story houses nearby from the 30s that got bought up, property bundled, and, demolished for multi-story student housing. But for the alumni fat cats (not yours truly), the MOST prime piece of property has available units. Luxury condos across the street from the stadium with all the amenities, underground parking deck, and a beautiful roof top patio for entertaining friends.

There's a unit available for that lucky somebody. It's 2,400 sq ft with 4 BR and 4.5 baths and it's ONLY $2.2M.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1150-8th-Ave-319_Tuscaloosa_AL_35401_M98988-40161

What a steal right? Who wants it?

Ed

PS - that area was not protected by a historical neighborhood designation so they are bundling and building up all over the area. Lucky for me that our little street got the historical designation in the 1990s or else it would be a high rise too.

giphy.gif

1. Oregon upset Ohio State yesterday. Where did Oregon's head coach work before he got to Oregon?

2. Florida State lost to an FCS school yesterday from what state?

Three guesses and the first two don't count.

giphy.gif

Bama Ed

PS - I'm not real plugged in but do the other 49 states in the US get to have this much fun during football season? :confused3

Last edited:
PS - I'm not real plugged in but do the other 49 states in the US get to have this much fun during football season? :confused3

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the box score of Texas getting shredded by Arkansas. Yet another team that they think the SEC is going to be a great step up for them and yet they get mauled by arguably one of the perennial bottom 3 SEC football teams. I gleefully await their day of reckoning alongside OU.

That's what's going on in KS and probably every other state with a Big 12 team on board.

It's kinda weird to me that this was the 2nd week in a row with an FCS school beating a Power 5 FBS school. First it was Montana over Washington in week 1 and now it was Jacksonville State over Florida State in week 2. Makes me wonder if it will happen to somebody again this weekend coming up.

Ed

I was busy building a fence (and don’t have internet yet) so didn’t get to see Tulane’s 69-20 win over Morgan state.

I did hook up my antenna in time to watch the saints make the packers look like Morgan State.

USC fired Clay Helton today. Which is weird to me, because why not fire him last season if his leash was 1 bad game??

we’re going camping at one of those fancy RV resort places this weekend, so I’ll watch Tulane-Ole Miss from there.

we’re going camping at one of those fancy RV resort places this weekend, so I’ll watch Tulane-Ole Miss from there.

Make Ole Miss work for it, Pluto. Force them to show us what they've been working on all summer and fall camp. The Lane Train comes to T-town in 3 weeks and looks like Bama's toughest opponent in the regular season. aTm lost their starting qb, LSU will be lucky to go 6-6, and we don't know anything yet about Auburn until they play Penn State this weekend.

Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter