College Football 2021

Well Michigan played a better second half today, to advance to 5-0. Bama just ended their game and move to 5-0. Penn State on tonight.

Yep, Chris, Bama put Ole Miss away.

Las Vegas set the line last week (OM was off last Saturday) at 14.5 while all the people/pundits were talking up Ole Miss' chances versus Bama. But those big shiny buildings in Vegas got paid for because those folks out there know what they're doing more times than not. Like he does, Saban took his foot off the gas in the 2nd half and let OM get some points. Final was 42-21.

We play Texas A&M next Saturday evening at College Station. Then we go to Mississippi State.

Ed

PSU with a 24-0 shutout that (depending on injury updates) might doom Indiana's season (Three offensive starters hurt including Michael Penix Jr.).

Next big test is Saturday at Iowa for a Top-5 (4 probably?) matchup. Game of the Week?

So, another year of Tiggerdad being able to strut around the house like a king. DW is Ole Miss fan.
lion-king.gif

We are losing stock however...thanks Florida for falling on your face. Of course I like to see Kentucky get their punches in from time to time.

Arkansas...well...welcome back.

Tennessee can't decide if they are on fire or not. I miss when the 3rd Saturday in October meant something.

LSU dropped to Auburn. I kept hoping final score would say they both lost, but Auburn scratched their way to victory.

We didn’t look like one of the 5 worst teams in football yesterday. So that’s improvement. We still didn’t really show up for half the game.

There ARE actually several good games this weekend.

The Penn State - Iowa game IS probably the best national match-up.

I'll try to catch part of the Red River Shootout to better understand the vibe between our two future conference mates, Oklahoma and Texas.

In the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry (DSOR), I'll be pulling for Georgia over Auburn.

There are rumblings from LSU fans if Kentucky beats them tomorrow night (game is in Lexington), CEO will be on very shaky ground.

Finally in my Bama - aTM game (evening), I think Bama wins but does not cover. Saban likes Jimbo a lot out of all his former assistants who went on to be head coaches. In any event it won't be a blow-out.

Hope your team wins. popcorn::

Bama Ed

There are rumblings from LSU fans if Kentucky beats them tomorrow night (game is in Lexington), CEO will be on very shaky ground.

suddenly all of the off-field stuff with him that either no one has cared about or made much of the fan base like him more have all become negatives.

There ARE actually several good games this weekend.

The Penn State - Iowa game IS probably the best national match-up.
We are looking forward to this but also have dinner plans at 6. That may be good or bad. Definitely agree though should be the best game of the weekend.

Alabama did lose last night to Texas A&M but as tiggerdad said, our dearly departed friend, Arnold/GrumpyAggie, a former poster who is no longer with us, is probably smiling wherever he is. :littleangel:

It's proof yet a gain that, while it's not uncommon to win the national championship as an undefeated team, it's VERY uncommon to win back-to-back championships. Bama did it in the 2011-2012 seasons and to find the next back-to-back you have to go back to the poll-only era. Bama's not out of it yet: in 2012 Bama lost to A&M (Johnny Manziel was the QB) and still won the national championship. But sitting here, in mid-October at #5 in the polls, it's gonna require some help to bump a team out above us to get into the playoffs. There is STILL, however, a lot of football to play.

Finally, regarding our game, if Saban had to lose to a former assistant coach after winning against them 24 straight prior times, I'm glad it was Jimbo Fisher who won it (and not Lane Kiffin or Kirby Smart or somebody else). Now we can stop talking about that topic.

Penn State/Iowa and Texas/Oklahoma were both great games to watch. And Auburn managed to score a touchdown against Georgia while still losing handsomely. It strikes me that Georgia's defense is good enough to allow their offense to play Stetson Bennett at QB because he's "solid" and "good" and doesn't appear to make dumb mistakes. He may be the QB going forward for the rest of the season. The Bulldogs should win the rest of their regular season games.

Ed-O went down as expected in Lexington. I think the buyout will be negotiated down and he'll be paid off and let go of. LSU plays Florida and Ole Miss next then has a week off. Assuming he loses those two, I've seen in-season firings sometimes at the start of an off week to give the team two weeks to get used to an interim head coach. The Tigers play Bama in Tuscaloosa after the off week.

It was a great slate of games this past weekend.

Ed

The Bulldogs should win the rest of their regular season games.
Not even a little bit of love for next week? Most felt we would be lucky to get 1 out of the 4 game October stretch. We are halfway thru and already have 2 W's.....just saying

Not even a little bit of love for next week? Most felt we would be lucky to get 1 out of the 4 game October stretch. We are halfway thru and already have 2 W's.....just saying

Oh you and Stoops got ALL my lovin', Steve. It's just that, objectively speaking, I don't see KY winning. But if you pull off the upset, I'll be forever in your debt.

Stoops at KY arguably has the best job in college football. SEC program, NOT a football-first school, and can exceed typically low expectations. He gets to a decent bowl game, folks are happy. He doesn't have to compete for the National Championship every year. He earns decent SEC money so why look elsewhere? :confused3

He recruits kids overlooked by the big name schools and gets kids out of B1G territory to come play the SEC juggernaut. He keeps guys for 4-5 years, they learn the system, and do well. If you could just consistently get a decent "game manager" type qb room, you'd be set. You don't need superstars.

Trust me, I'm pulling for you but it would be a bigger upset than aTM over Bama if you KY kids beat UGA.

Ed

Last edited:
objectively speaking, I don't see KY (UK) winning
Yea I know, but doesn't every true fan root for and believe that their team can win them all? Just think, if we did knock off the bulldogs and avoid 2 losses down the SEC East homestretch and Bama avoids a second loss..........it could be...........dare I say:oops:............a UK vs Bama showdown in Atlanta. You do know that Atlanta is AKA Catlanta. Again, just saying.

Yea I know, but doesn't every true fan root for and believe that their team can win them all? Just think, if we did knock off the bulldogs and avoid 2 losses down the SEC East homestretch and Bama avoids a second loss..........it could be...........dare I say:oops:............a UK vs Bama showdown in Atlanta. You do know that Atlanta is AKA Catlanta. Again, just saying.

While I'm certainly not against UK (especially vs UT and UF) I gotta say:

mzOe5Cn.gif

I KNOW I'm a Bama fan and shouldn't find this funny but it is SO on point:

SEC Shorts - Bama Loses to aTm

Bring on the (We Need More) Cowbells: Moo State this Saturday.
giphy.gif

<sigh> Life in the SEC on a fall Saturday. We may win, we may lose, but this is STARKVEGAS, baby! :banana:

Ed

I hope Bama shows up angry, which I feel very certain they will. What better folks to vent some anger on than a bunch of cowbell ringers...

I despise MSU more than I do LSU and Auburn, mainly because of those annoying cowbells. Sad, you gotta have something to make up for lack of fan noise.

Bama took care of bidnez Saturday night in Starkville. Coincidently enough, one night before that Bama Ed and DW were in Starkville also to watch Bama play Miss State in a fall college baseball exhibition game. Since baseball plays their season in the spring, their long practice season is the prior fall and they get tired of scrimmaging within the team. So the NCAA allows teams up to two practice games against other schools. Starkville is the closest SEC campus to Tuscaloosa (90 minute easy drive) so we went and saw Dudey Noble Stadium with its upper deck, condo bldg behind the left field fence, and gas grills in the bleachers for fans to cook 'em while they watch the action. Very relaxed, not crowded, great seats behind home plate (Bama lost to last year's College World Series champs, 3-2).

Ed-O went down as expected in Lexington. I think the buyout will be negotiated down and he'll be paid off and let go of. LSU plays Florida and Ole Miss next then has a week off. Assuming he loses those two, I've seen in-season firings sometimes at the start of an off week to give the team two weeks to get used to an interim head coach. The Tigers play Bama in Tuscaloosa after the off week.

Rumors, tweets from journalists, all sort of speculation running rampant that CEO has agreed in principle to leave at the end of the season with a full $17M buyout. The negotiations started before last night's win over a disappointing Florida. At least they're handling this professionally like adults. But I sure wish I'd gotten $17M to leave my job last year! :sad:

After the Bama game was over, I flipped over on the tv to check on Ole Miss and 10RC and it was 31-19 in the 3rd qtr and I said to myself, "OM has got this" and went to bed. Then I wake up today to hear about the bedlam in the last official minute of the game. I've seen the film and will say this: the refs made the right call that UT was short of the first down. And the UT qb was so DUMB to scramble on the last play of the game with 3 seconds left. UT had a chance if he'd thrown a hail mary. They were close enough to the end zone. And I've been on the receiving end of plenty of bad calls in my Bama fandom career and there was no excuse for the UT fan reaction, Lane or no Lane.

Now Bama get UT next week in a night game here in T-town.

The road to Catlanta just got a lot harder for you, Steve. UGA has to lose twice since they beat you head-to-head. But you should get a nice bid to the Sugar Bowl if you can win out (which you can). You can have a lot of fun in NOLA, I hear. :rolleyes:

It got cool here on yesterday/Saturday morning. Lows in the 40s and highs in the 70s. Fall is finally here in my neck of the woods.

Bama Ed

Coach O is out: CBS News is reporting, after end of season.

Thankfully Bama shut those stupid cowbells up on first play of the 3rd quarter. Despise MSU fan base mainly because of those dumb cowbells.

Auburn thinks they're relevant again

Arkansas back where they belong

Georgia thought they were playing Oregon because of UK helmets

Florida right they belong

Ole Miss and Tennessee...UT, when your own cheerleaders and band leave the stadium before the end of the game because of how your own fans behave, it tells you everything there is to know:
72884c7f98149bd422e488510277f2b0b9-20-dumpster-fire.rsquare.w700.gif

This is a laugh here:
7onvdbe.png

Last edited:
The road to Catlanta just got a lot harder for you, Steve. UGA has to lose twice since they beat you head-to-head. But you should get a nice bid to the Sugar Bowl if you can win out (which you can). You can have a lot of fun in NOLA, I hear. :rolleyes:
Absolutely Ed.......but it is always nice to dream. Wasn't it Walt Disney himself who said “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” Our kids played well but lets face it.....Georgia is the real deal this year. You also gotta love what Coach Stoops did on the last series. He realized the game was out of reach, so why not work on your O-game against a team like Georgia. An 18 play drive against any defense is pretty impressive. And the disrespect, whether deserved or not with the 21.5 spread, he made a lot of Vegas bookies pay dearly. Calling a timeout with 7 seconds to go in a long since determined game just to try and ensure the TD and kill the spread, deserves :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 in my opinion.

It will be interesting to see how we respond. Mississippi State in Starkville has always been a tough game for us and Tennessee is well........Tennessee. We do have them at home and I will say that the energy at Commonwealth this year is on a different level, just ask Florida and their 8 false starts. Did you see UT's true colors coming down to the end of the Ole Miss game. Bad calls or not.....no place for that at any level of any sport.

Don't you just love this time of year!!!! And dare I say that basketball season is just around the corner. Just gotta remember this is the college football thread :D

PS. A bid to the Sugar bowl would be nice. New Years Six for Kentucky football......not sure any blue blood would be disappointed with that.

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!