Collapsible walker--can I carry it onto rides?

TillyMarigold

DIS Veteran
Hi, I'll be at WDW starting next weekend and I'm renting a scooter but will be somewhat ambulatory, mostly with a walker. I use a collapsible walker that collapses to about 5x7" base (and 38" or so tall), about the size of a collapsed camera tripod or a baby's pack & play. Does anyone know if I will able to carry it onto rides with me? Not roller coasters I assume, but slower ones. I'm thinking specifically that it would help me getting in/out of things like IASW and Pirates, because I can use it for balance like a cane (briefly and carefully). But in general, in rides where you're allowed to take your stuff on, would I be allowed to take that?

Thank you!

I'd like to know this also, but I suspect the answer is "No". The reason I say that is that they won't even let me take my cane onto rides, even though it's collapsable to about 12-14 inches. I can't take a step without my cane, or I'll fall over, and I'm very nervous when they take it away. But they insist they'll give it right back at the end of the ride, and they always do. I think that's what would happen with your walker also.

Hi, I'll be at WDW starting next weekend and I'm renting a scooter but will be somewhat ambulatory, mostly with a walker. I use a collapsible walker that collapses to about 5x7" base (and 38" or so tall), about the size of a collapsed camera tripod or a baby's pack & play. Does anyone know if I will able to carry it onto rides with me? Not roller coasters I assume, but slower ones. I'm thinking specifically that it would help me getting in/out of things like IASW and Pirates, because I can use it for balance like a cane (briefly and carefully). But in general, in rides where you're allowed to take your stuff on, would I be allowed to take that?

Thank you!
I would guess no but for the 2 rides you mention I do not think there would be room to open it to help you step up and out even if you would be allowed to take it. I have used a cane to get out of both rides but it was taken and given back at end of ride. and even the cane was hard to use beside me in the boat, just not that much room. granted before covid.

You can take the scooter in most of the lines. Rides that you can’t will make other accommodations like entering thru the exit on Big Thunder or getting a return time on Star Tours to use the lightning lane which will take scooters. This was before COVID. Ask the Cm at the entrance.

I would guess no but for the 2 rides you mention I do not think there would be room to open it to help you step up and out even if you would be allowed to take it. I have used a cane to get out of both rides but it was taken and given back at end of ride. and even the cane was hard to use beside me in the boat, just not that much room. granted before covid.

Thank you, that is helpful. I don't need to unfold it to use it for balance, though--I was thinking mostly just that I'd prefer to have it with me, but it would be useful as an additional touch point when getting in and out. (I know you're supposed to lean on a member of your traveling party, but I have trust issues.)

You can take the scooter in most of the lines. Rides that you can’t will make other accommodations like entering thru the exit on Big Thunder or getting a return time on Star Tours to use the lightning lane which will take scooters. This was before COVID. Ask the Cm at the entrance.

Yes, thanks, I know. I'm talking about using the walker to transfer to the ride from the scooter--I'd rather get out of the scooter and walk on rather than ride in the scooter or transfer to a wheelchair (as the case may be), but the odds are that to do so, I'll need the walker at least sometimes. I'm recovering from a severely broken ankle.

I’ve taken underarm crutches on many rides - not coasters, of course, but boat rides like Pirates, small world, and Gran Fiesta Tour were no problem. Also Omnimover rides like the Haunted Mansion or the Little Mermaid. Granted, crutches can be laid out of the way on the floor of the boat, so maybe that makes a difference.

However, on the rides where I couldn’t take them, a CM would have them waiting for me at unload. So, if it turns out that you’re not allowed to keep the walker on the ride, would having someone bring it right to you be just as helpful for getting out of the vehicle?

Wondering if you could get a prescribed surgical style boot from your doctor. It would protect your foot and it might allow you to do more weight bearing for you to walk.

I think some of the reasons Disney is against additional assistant helps on rides is they can become projectiles or be used as a weapons.

If you have others with you then you may be able to lean on them to help you with rides. If there are two helpers, one can get in the ride before you to help you in and the other would get on after you and then be able to help you out. Of course on two person rides, you would have to wait for the other rider in a different ride compartment to come over and help you get out of the ride.

Wondering if you could get a prescribed surgical style boot from your doctor. It would protect your foot and it might allow you to do more weight bearing for you to walk.

I think some of the reasons Disney is against additional assistant helps on rides is they can become projectiles or be used as a weapons.

If you have others with you then you may be able to lean on them to help you with rides. If there are two helpers, one can get in the ride before you to help you in and the other would get on after you and then be able to help you out. Of course on two person rides, you would have to wait for the other rider in a different ride compartment to come over and help you get out of the ride.

I'm supposed to be getting a cam boot (walking boot) this week and my doctor claims I'll be able to walk short distances without any support by the weekend (the fact that it's the day before my trip is just coincidence--just based on its being 10 weeks after surgery), but I'm dubious enough that I'm taking the walker anyway.

As to leaning on people ... I have trust issues. 🤷🏻‍♀️ For no real reason, I'm terrified of putting weight on anyone else. But in any case, given my older son is 9 and my husband will be carrying the baby, I'd definitely better practice stepping up and down without support.

I’ve taken underarm crutches on many rides - not coasters, of course, but boat rides like Pirates, small world, and Gran Fiesta Tour were no problem. Also Omnimover rides like the Haunted Mansion or the Little Mermaid. Granted, crutches can be laid out of the way on the floor of the boat, so maybe that makes a difference.

However, on the rides where I couldn’t take them, a CM would have them waiting for me at unload. So, if it turns out that you’re not allowed to keep the walker on the ride, would having someone bring it right to you be just as helpful for getting out of the vehicle?

That's what I'm hoping--that in its folded state, I could easily lay the walker on the floor in most rides, so maybe in that case it wouldn't be a problem to take it (versus the usual style of walker that folds flat). When I was a CM, my roommate used forearm crutches full-time, and I believe she took them onto pretty much every ride. The only one I can remember where she couldn't was BTMRR and they would wait until she was seated before taking them and give them back before she tried to get out. I think she could even take them on Space and Test Track. Most of the other thrill rides weren't built yet.

How much I need it is really going to depend on the particular ride--specifically, whether there is anything I can hold on to for support during the part where I need to be stepping up. (Usually into cars and out of boats.)

That's what I'm hoping--that in its folded state, I could easily lay the walker on the floor in most rides, so maybe in that case it wouldn't be a problem to take it (versus the usual style of walker that folds flat). When I was a CM, my roommate used forearm crutches full-time, and I believe she took them onto pretty much every ride. The only one I can remember where she couldn't was BTMRR and they would wait until she was seated before taking them and give them back before she tried to get out. I think she could even take them on Space and Test Track. Most of the other thrill rides weren't built yet.

How much I need it is really going to depend on the particular ride--specifically, whether there is anything I can hold on to for support during the part where I need to be stepping up. (Usually into cars and out of boats.)

I just want to set that expectation that you most likely won't be allowed to take the walker *on to* the ride vehicle, but will be allowed to use it all the way to the vehicle, and entering the vehicle, and then a CM will store it nearby and bring it to you when you get back around.

I don't want to be a stinker - but I would hate for you to plan on (emotionally and physically) having that walker with you all the time, and then find that your actual experience is different.

I do know that on *some* rides, I have been allowed to bring along a cane or crutches, and my folding cane is fine on any ride as long as it fits inside my bag.

But generally speaking, a device as large as a walker - even folded - will most likely not be allowed in the ride vehicle during the operation of the ride.

We will all be curious if you succeed with the walker onto the rides. It's good info for everyone to have here. Please let us know either way. Thanks.

Right off, I can think of two rides that will be extremely challenging for you to get in and out of. Test Track in Epcot and Pirates of the Carribean in Magic Kingdom will be very difficult. You may want to consider skipping these rides.

You really don't want to cause further injury to yourself. Please be careful.

I just want to set that expectation that you most likely won't be allowed to take the walker *on to* the ride vehicle, but will be allowed to use it all the way to the vehicle, and entering the vehicle, and then a CM will store it nearby and bring it to you when you get back around.

And speaking as one who was terrified about not having my cane, yes, they DO bring it back as soon as your ride vehicle returns.

Thanks so much, everyone! To my utter amazement, I'm now able to walk short distances with a cane (and even shorter distances without). Still planning to take both the collapsible walker and the cane with me, of course, but maybe I'll at least be relatively mobile with them. When I started this thread, I wasn't sure I'd be able to get anywhere that I couldn't take the ECV up to, so it's sort of unbelievable to me.

I hadn't even thought of Test Track, thanks. I'm ... fortunate ... :rolleyes2 that my 1st floor bathroom is down a steep step from my kitchen (it used to be a storage shed attached to the back of my house), so I've been getting a lot of stepping up/down practice now that I'm able to do so. I guess we'll see how it goes. I promise to be careful--definitely not interested in risking another injury!

Thank you!

I take my can onto slower rides like pirates. Perhaps you could use a came for balance? Some rides they do take it from me, but hand it back before I get off the ride.

Just wanted to share a funny story about taking crutches on rides. I was about to board my sled at Space Mountain, and instead of saying, “Where do I leave my crutches” I phrased it as, “Is there a place I can leave my crutches?” With a perfect deadpan, the CM said, “No, you take them with you. They’ll fly out of the vehicle and you’ll catch up with them at the bottom.” My face must have looked panicked, because they immediately laughed and said, “No, no, I’m just kidding! Here, I’ll take them and they’ll be waiting for you at the unload platform. Enjoy your trip!” I love running into a cast member with a sense of humor.

And as much as I’ve brought up less positive interactions on this board in an effort to prepare people for needing a Plan B, most of the cast members I’ve dealt with have been very kind and helpful.

I use a rollator walker in the parks. It's a Small World is the only ride I've ever been offered the choice to take it with me onto the accessible boat with a ramp down the middle. I declined since I am able to board with my cane. I bring my cane with me on all the slow rides like Peter Pan, the boat rides, People Mover, and Spaceship Earth. At Rise of the Resistance a Storm Trooper always asks if they can take the walker, but I tell them I need to keep it with me until I can sit down in a vehicle then I just bring the can into the vehicle.

Here now but I've only done a couple rides. At Soarin' I pulled the scooter up next to the seat and transferred without the walker. At Journey into Imagination, I took it with me in the vehicle.

I had been in a walking cast and down to using just a cane or even nothing, but I got a walking boot the day before we left and it's unbelievable how much harder it is.

So, what other rides did you take your walker on the ride?

I can understand they would allow it on JII but I'm still suprised. Good to know. Thanks.

I think it might depend on both the attraction and the specific walker being used. Some fold up very small and flat, but some we’ve observed in the parks recently are much bigger and higher - things like higher handles that allow for bent arm to be used.

So, what other rides did you take your walker on the ride?

I can understand they would allow it on JII but I'm still suprised. Good to know. Thanks.

I took her report to indicate that she drove her ECV onto the Figment ride vehicle? However, it may be that I interpreted that incorrectly...

I have driven my personal TravelScoot onto Figment before, so I know that they will allow ECVs (at least smaller ones) to board the mobility car at Journey into Imagination.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter