Code watch January 2017

I am also patiently waiting for the January discounts, as we are booked for January 21st - 29th at POP with the dining plan. :flower1:

Joining and watching. Just got burned by the November discounts and we're very much considering January 21 to 28 for what looks like one of the lowest crowd projections. Has anyone else visited the parks during this period? Resigning myself to the fact that pool time or a decent water park experience would be very much unexpected.

Joining and watching. Just got burned by the November discounts and we're very much considering January 21 to 28 for what looks like one of the lowest crowd projections. Has anyone else visited the parks during this period? Resigning myself to the fact that pool time or a decent water park experience would be very much unexpected.
Sorry i missed this post (sometimes my notifications work, other times not so much!)

There is a "new" kink in the system this year for that particular week in January. Disney will be hosting the Pro Bowl Game (or whatever it's called) on the Sunday Jan 29th and there will be a parade in MK on Saturday Jan 28th. There is no way to predict what this will do to crowds because it's an unknown factor but the general consensus is that it shouldn't have much impact on the crowds but I'm figuring it will lead to an increase in occupancy at the AllStar resorts (this is strictly MY opinion BTW) Here's a link to the announcment
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ctivities-coming-to-walt-disney-world-resort/

The information that leads me to think there will be higher than *usual* numbers at the resorts is this section " But here’s the best part: Several of the official Pro Bowl activities will be staged at Walt Disney World Resort as part of the league’s new approach of making Pro Bowl Week a celebration of all levels of football – from youth to high school to the NFL’s best. The Pro Bowl teams’ practices, an NFL Flag football event and other youth football events will take place at our sports complex."

Sorry i missed this post (sometimes my notifications work, other times not so much!)

There is a "new" kink in the system this year for that particular week in January. Disney will be hosting the Pro Bowl Game (or whatever it's called) on the Sunday Jan 29th and there will be a parade in MK on Saturday Jan 28th. There is no way to predict what this will do to crowds because it's an unknown factor but the general consensus is that it shouldn't have much impact on the crowds but I'm figuring it will lead to an increase in occupancy at the AllStar resorts (this is strictly MY opinion BTW) Here's a link to the announcment
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ctivities-coming-to-walt-disney-world-resort/

The information that leads me to think there will be higher than *usual* numbers at the resorts is this section " But here’s the best part: Several of the official Pro Bowl activities will be staged at Walt Disney World Resort as part of the league’s new approach of making Pro Bowl Week a celebration of all levels of football – from youth to high school to the NFL’s best. The Pro Bowl teams’ practices, an NFL Flag football event and other youth football events will take place at our sports complex."

Donald

Thanks so much for your insight. This could be a situation where similar to November '16, crowd calendars were flat for the most part, only to be dramatically tweaked around 90 days out. The Pro Bowl shouldn't even be considered a professional sporting event, but it will certainly draw crowds.

We are booked January 21-30! I actually booked before I saw the announcement regarding pro-bowl. This is a plus for my football loving family! My DH doesn't think it will have much impact on crowd levels though because he doesn't think pro-bowl is actually that popular. I'm hoping he's right! Lol

We're hoping for a big discount in January too! We've been spoiled w/ free dining in the past.

We went for the first time in January of this year (20th through February 1st). We usually go in early December, but with it getting more and more crowded every year we wanted to try and find a better time to go (we tried late September in 2013, but it rained all.the.time). The crowds were generally low during the week (all the "big" rides still had decent wait times, though). Most days were pretty cold, but at least it only rained on one day. The day that really threw us was our last park day we went to MK on Friday the 29th and it was insane! Like summer crowds insane. Apparently there was some sort of dance competition that weekend. It took us 45 minutes to ride Jungle Cruise with Fastpasses. We tried to ride the train at the Frontierland station, but they closed the stairs leading up to the station due to crowds in the station and told us it would be about an hour and a half wait for the train.

We're going for a resort only trip in early-ish January next year so following along for a hopeful discount! We're going for a long weekend in December and were very disappointed in the fall discounts so hoping for something better this go round!

Hi all! De lurking to join the wait! I was following the November/December discounts but jumped ship to January before the icky discounts were released! :crazy2:

Booked at the Poly for January 19-28 and hoping for something better than the nonsense they just released! Hope you all don't mind if I tag along!

We are looking at dates between January 11-18 to take advantage of MLK weekend. In 2016 there was the Stay,Play and Dine package. How discounted was it?

We are looking at dates between January 11-18 to take advantage of MLK weekend. In 2016 there was the Stay,Play and Dine package. How discounted was it?
Stay Play Dine began in 2013 and was offered again in '14, '15, and '16.

The last couple years there has been an effort to dissect how this deal works:
2015: http://www.disboards.com/threads/stay-play-dine-calculation.3339097/
2016: http://www.disboards.com/threads/stay-play-dine-2016-calculation-thread.3451389/
EDIT: Like most Disney "package" deals it's much more complicated than it should be and makes very little sense but it's essentially a discount on dining and is definitely WAY worse than free dining.

Unfortunately, as with many discounts it got worse in 2016 than it was in 2015. Who knows what will happen for 2017 but if history repeats itself we could be 6-8 weeks away from this discount being released.

Watching for a RO discount for two nights! Already booked the first part of trip through dvc rental points, Jan. 16-21, and now hoping to add a couple more nights onto the end (Jan. 21-23) Really don't want to pay rack rates at the poly :sad2:

Watching for a RO discount for two nights! Already booked the first part of trip through dvc rental points, Jan. 16-21, and now hoping to add a couple more nights onto the end (Jan. 21-23) Really don't want to pay rack rates at the poly :sad2:
Same boat here -- due to a colossal screw up with the flights i bought AFTER i rented the points and we need 2 nights at the beginning and 1 night at the end of our 2 week stay at OKW. Afraid it's gonna be a value for the first 2 .. and *maybe* moderate at the end <sigh> Hoping they don't decide to NOT offer discounts until after the pro-ball game

Same boat here -- due to a colossal screw up with the flights i bought AFTER i rented the points and we need 2 nights at the beginning and 1 night at the end of our 2 week stay at OKW. Afraid it's gonna be a value for the first 2 .. and *maybe* moderate at the end <sigh> Hoping they don't decide to NOT offer discounts until after the pro-ball game
Oh no :(
At least it's a few more days in WDW!
Fortunately, we were budgeted for 7 nights, but were only able to secure 5. So the difference between the money we still have leftover and what we'd have to add to just stay at the poly would be what we'd pay for a mod. Justifying it any way I can! The discount would really help though.... Also hoping they don't hold off on discounts :worried:

So I am a full year after y'all!!! We are looking at our triumphant return to be Jan 2-9th or thereabouts. 2018. So.....anxiously waiting for the codes for 2017 so that I can hopefully have a 'guess' as to what to expect for 2018. :) We would go Jan 2 or 3 to 9th or 10th. Hopefully we will qualify for a discount, or stay play and dine....and God willing the crowds will start to calm down

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter