Closing Time!!

I posted this in the other Closing thread but I'll post it here too. I reached out to Member Administration yesterday via email because I have an AKV contract that I wanted to get my husband's name added on the deed for so that he can have his own member ID. The deed was sent to them on 7/21. It's been over 3 weeks at this point and they replied this morning saying it can take between 5-6 weeks. We just closed on our BLT contract and now he's fuming that it can take 5-6 weeks on just that which means a month and a half of not being able to use it at all. Granted I went into this knowing it can take 3-4 weeks after closing to load points.

So they have the dues already paid for points that we can't use.

What's to say they decided that it would now take 6 months to transfer???? Is there anything in the condo docs that discusses how long they have to do this. It's interesting that when you buy direct you can use your points right away so they have the capability of loading points fast, they just take forever when it comes to resale.

Last edited:
I posted this in the other Closing thread but I'll post it here too. I reached out to Member Administration yesterday via email because I have an AKV contract that I wanted to get my husband's name added on the deed for so that he can have his own member ID. The deed was sent to them on 7/21. It's been over 3 weeks at this point and they replied this morning saying it can take between 5-6 weeks. We just closed on our BLT contract and now he's fuming that it can take 5-6 weeks on just that which means a month and a half of not being able to use it at all. Granted I went into this knowing it can take 3-4 weeks after closing to load points.

So they have the dues already paid for for points that we can't use.

What's to say they decided that it would now take 6 months to transfer???? Is there anything in the condo docs that discusses how long they have to do this. It's interesting that when you buy direct you can use your points right away so they have the capability of loading points fast, they just take forever when it comes to resale.
I wonder what Pete Werner thinks of this...Hey Mods, can you get this to him

My thoughts exactly. With their shift to make resale owners second class citizens, what's to stop them from taking months to load? I bought a loaded contract so I can use the points and with availability being scarce already I'm afraid I'm going to get hosed on getting a studio for more than a night or two before the points expire. I emailed MA last night, still waiting to hear back and doubt I will. I'm starting to regret buying this contract already. Thanks Disney!

My thoughts exactly. With their shift to make resale owners second class citizens, what's to stop them from taking months to load? I bought a loaded contract so I can use the points and with availability being scarce already I'm afraid I'm going to get hosed on getting a studio for more than a night or two before the points expire. I emailed MA last night, still waiting to hear back and doubt I will. I'm starting to regret buying this contract already. Thanks Disney!
You'll probably get a response from them either today or tomorrow morning. It took less than 24 hours to get a response from MA. They'll probably give you the same canned response I got.

I want my dues back. What's the point of paying dues if I'm not allowed to use my contract? What is stopping them from loading one contract a day? Nothing. They have our dues. They are trying to control how many people are there and what better way to do that by loading incoming members one at a time. Genius on their part. Have their money and crowd control cake and eat it too. If my contracts loads by 2022 I'll be shocked.

I’m not sure if they are purposely going slow. I imagine it’s more of a lack of staffing?

The point my hubby was making is that clearly they can load direct contracts fast into the system. Sure it's easier to move points that they have on hand than to transfer from one contract to another but if there is no set timeline on when they MUST do this by what's to say they can't just take 6 months to get this done.

Maybe it’s just me, but waiting a few extra weeks to save $12,000.00 isn’t that awful. 🤷‍♂️
That extra time plus the extra ROFR wait time can cause a person to lose a UY's worth of points for which the buyer paid dues and cause them to lose booking availability for the next year for a special planned trip. It's not right. There's no transparency into the process.

The time for each process should be stated and adhered to. If they want to discourage resale, they should find a way with their corporate lawyers to just do it but be open and upfront about it. Not "cause the buyers to die via a thousand little cuts".

Last edited:
That extra time plus the extra ROFR wait time can cause a person to lose a UY's worth of points for which the buyer paid dues and cause them to lose booking availability for the next year for a special planned trip. It's not right. There's no transparency into the process.
I am somewhere in the middle here, yes, we all went into resale knowing that the process would be at least 2.5 months and likely up to 4, and I personally have avoided buying contracts where I could lose the points if not loaded precisely at 2-3 months, that said, the frustrating part is, as always, the lack of communication from DVC, and the apparent lack of effort put into processing these contracts somewhat efficiently, we are still owners and we will pay dues for the remainder of these contract’s lives presumably, so there should be some amount of reasonable effort applied to working with resale customers.

The point my hubby was making is that clearly they can load direct contracts fast into the system. Sure it's easier to move points that they have on hand than to transfer from one contract to another but if there is no set timeline on when they MUST do this by what's to say they can't just take 6 months to get this done.

Ah ok, yeah I see what you mean there. I personally don’t think it’s anything malicious to resale buyers but yeah when they can sort new contracts within a couple of hours, you have to wonder

From what I was told, MA is funded by DVD for the most part, The people who work on adding new memberships or add on points for direct are not the same ones who work on transferring ownership from one person to the other. Not sure how accurate but this is what I got when I inquired a few years back.

So, of course, DVD can dedicate CMs to work on those memberships and get things dome faster because it’s all coming from the developer.

There are other CMS who work on resale and given the amount of contracts received daily, is what impacts the delay.

There is nothing in the POS that would control the timeline. But I bet there is something under FL law regarding the transfer that would prevent them from taking 6 months.

I would have to check back on my documents, but I thought the initial contract we signed to buy RIV resale does indicate the timeline for transfer which mentions weeks,

Unfortunately, I think we are at their mercy.

Last edited:
Ah ok, yeah I see what you mean there. I personally don’t think it’s anything malicious to resale buyers but yeah when they can sort new contracts within a couple of hours, you have to wonder
Excessive delays getting contracts transferred is getting borderline unacceptable. How about the borrowing glitch on resale contracts? I’m not suggesting they are doing it on purpose to punish us, but they certainly aren’t doing anything proactive to fix it. Imagine buying a vacation home and at closing they tell you, listen, it may take a few weeks/months before you can use it, the previous owner is short staffed so they’ll need extra time getting moved out. I know that’s not a direct comparison, but’s it’s awfully close. We know just based on the logistics of booking a reservation we would never be able to just start using a newly acquired contract for an immediate stay, but delays like we are seeing now are preventing people from being able to use it months from now, and in some cases a full UY worth of points. It’s hard not to have it feel intentional and vindictive.
Unfortunately, I think we are at their mercy.
To some extent we are at their mercy because we allow it. I said it before and I’ll say it again, how it’s never resulted in a lawsuit is beyond me. I’d throw in a $100 toward a class action inquiry! Disney needs to know they just can’t treat people like this and then rest on the idea that we won’t push back because we are all blinded by the magic. They treat it as a business, so should the membership.

Excessive delays getting contracts transferred is getting borderline unacceptable. How about the borrowing glitch on resale I said it before and I’ll say it again, how it’s never resulted in a lawsuit is beyond me. I’d throw in a $100 toward a class action inquiry! Disney needs to know they just can’t treat people like this and then rest on the idea that we won’t push back because we are all blinded by the magic. They treat it as a business, so should the membership.

That's exactly what my husband said. It clearly hasn't come to a lawsuit and we would just need an attorney that was willing to take something like this on. I hate even bringing this up but honestly there is nothing stopping them from taking as long as they want.

Excessive delays getting contracts transferred is getting borderline unacceptable. How about the borrowing glitch on resale contracts? I’m not suggesting they are doing it on purpose to punish us, but they certainly aren’t doing anything proactive to fix it. Imagine buying a vacation home and at closing they tell you, listen, it may take a few weeks/months before you can use it, the previous owner is short staffed so they’ll need extra time getting moved out. I know that’s not a direct comparison, but’s it’s awfully close. We know just based on the logistics of booking a reservation we would never be able to just start using a newly acquired contract for an immediate stay, but delays like we are seeing now are preventing people from being able to use it months from now, and in some cases a full UY worth of points. It’s hard not to have it feel intentional and vindictive.

To some extent we are at their mercy because we allow it. I said it before and I’ll say it again, how it’s never resulted in a lawsuit is beyond me. I’d throw in a $100 toward a class action inquiry! Disney needs to know they just can’t treat people like this and then rest on the idea that we won’t push back because we are all blinded by the magic. They treat it as a business, so should the membership.

Again, until there is something they are doing that violates the FL timeshare law, it is what it is.

While I know your comment regarding a lawsuit was just that, I want to remind people that the DIS does not allow the organization of members for any such thing.

Just inquired to the title company if there is anywhere in black and white that Disney must process in a timely order. I'll keep you posted with their response. This whole thing reeks. There is no way it's not purposeful. And still haven't heard back from MA, shocker.

Maybe it’s just me, but waiting a few extra weeks to save $12,000.00 isn’t that awful. 🤷‍♂️
I agree with you. As buyers, we basically have two options:
  • Buy direct at higher price point and get points in hours/days
  • Buy resale at lower price point and get points in 2-4 months
I am relatively new to DVC, but I still realized going into resale that I would be taking a risk to count on any points that would be expiring in the next 3-4 months, especially with the low availability this year (covid points, 50th anniversary, etc.). My broker for my first resale was very upfront about the anticipated timeline and the timelines for my two resales (Jan 2021, March 2021) were pretty consistent between 75-78 days. Third resale is taking a little longer, but that’s expected with the temporary shutdown.

Sorry that a lot of folks are frustrated with the long process, but that’s a part of the choice we made…

My contract closed on 7/22/21, the deed was recorded the same day. I was told it would take 14-21 days....I am still waiting. Contracted Disney (via email because I cannot get someone via phone) and my broker...now Disney is saying it will be another 1-2 weeks. I'm kind of bummed because I missed an opportunity to book a room I needed to fill a waitlist. I only have direct points, so with my first resale contract, the waiting game has been frustrating.

My contract closed on 7/22/21, the deed was recorded the same day. I was told it would take 14-21 days....I am still waiting. Contracted Disney (via email because I cannot get someone via phone) and my broker...now Disney is saying it will be another 1-2 weeks. I'm kind of bummed because I missed an opportunity to book a room I needed to fill a waitlist. I only have direct points, so with my first resale contract, the waiting game has been frustrating.

so yeah you are right around where we were with the AKV we had my hubby added to....I'm really hoping them saying it'll be another 2-3 weeks is just adding a worst-case-scenario buffer to things.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter