cleaning hardwood floors

disney funseeker

DIS Veteran
How do you clean your hardwood floor?

If it's not the laminate type, do you use the manufacturer's recommended product or something else for water spots, dried mud?....

I usually wipe up messes with a damp cloth but I'm wondering if this is wrong. Now that we are seriously considering replacing our worn carpets in the remaining rooms with hardwood instead, I thought I'd better learn the proper care.

I do one of two things. We have a Eureka steam machine that uses plain water to steam the floors clean. That is the first way. If I'm in more of a hurry and don't want to let the steam build up, I pour some vinegar into some hot water in my kitchen sink and use a sponge mop to clean them.

Either way, they come out sparkling.

I will just use plain water on a damp mop for minor spills. White vinegar for a little more cleaning. and about every 6 weeks or so, i use Murphy's oil soap for hardwood floors. Very little though. My floors look great...........

I damp mop with plain water for spills. Every month I wash them with Murphy's Oil Soap. They still look good after 6 years...even in the kitchen.

I also use Murphy's Oil weekly(specifically for hardwwod floors). The manufacturer recommended a spray cleaner which I use for quick clean-ups. I try to "Swiff" my floors every few days. I also have hardwood in the kitchen and I really like it (didn't think I would!)

I used to use plain water, but the new Clorox mop has a solution that is safe for hardwood floor which works really well.

I use Bona Swedish Hardwood Floor Cleaner. You spray the cleaner directly on the floor and use a device that has a soft, absorbent cloth attached to a handle (sort of like a swifter, only sturdier). It leaves the floors clean and shiny. I've tried every appliance, cleaner, etc. and this seems to work the best.

Could you tell me where you purchased the Bona Hardwood Cleaner. It sounds like just the thing for my hardwoods.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

When we originally purchased the house a few yrs ago I remember one instruction was to not use Murphy's oil soap bec it may result in a loss of warranty and dull the floor.

This must have been just a manufacturing scare tactic because the care guide only recommended the maufacturer's cleaning products which are always pricey.

I will try out a few of your ideas to see which works out best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter