Christmas at Thanksgiving??

Cruelladeville

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
At one time I remember that there was a decorating schedule for the resorts and parks posted somewhere. I remember that decorating took place between 11 pm and 7 am, and you could sit and watch if you wanted. Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, for those of you who regularly go to WDW at Thanksgiivng, are at least some things decorated? Can you do any of the Christmas activities, like the Very Merry Christmas Party, Candlelight Processional, etc? We are going down at Thanksgiving for the first time ever, and wondered if there was anything special to do. We are trying to figure out why so many DVCers go to WDW the first two weeks in December. I know the points are low, but there must be some other draw for all of you. What can you do at that time of year?? I just took early retirement, so I can go to WDW whenever I want to now, instead of just during school vacations. :teeth:

MK will be decorated - MVMCP starts early.

I would expect everything to be decorated the week before Thanksgiving.

the CP will be happening - everything that is on Christmas will be happening.

The CP and the EPCOT "holidays around the world" festivities begin the day after Thanksgiving.
The MVMCP begins the Monday after Thanksgiving.
The Osborne lights begin before Thanksgiving (November 13 I think).
Most of the decorations are up all around WDW.

If we could go during the holdiays at a time other than Thanksgiving we would, but because of the school schedule we can't. Someday the DW and I will be regular first or second week of December visitors because we will still be able to do all of the holiday things we enjoy but won't have to worry about kids missing school.

HBC

Well, I have suddenly found myself in that enviable(??) position, and it is sudden, since I only had three weeks to decide whether or not to take the retirement package offered to the employees of our school system. I had no time to make any decisions, so I am going down to WDW at Thanksgiving just to see what vacationing at that time of year is like. This is outside of my "comfort zone" of vacationing at Christmas and Spring Break, so I don't know what there is to do at that time of year. :confused3 I feel better knowing that I can still do some of my "favorites". Can you swim at Thanksgiving?? :blush: I feel like a newbie! :3dglasses

We are trying to figure out why so many DVCers go to WDW the first two weeks in December. I know the points are low, but there must be some other draw for all of you.

You just got me to thinking (and that can be scary!!). We started going to WDW either of the first 2 weeks of Dec back in 1992, 8 years prior to joining DVC. We went then because the crowds were very light. I can remember staying at Dixie Landings and the hotel was like a ghost town. I miss those days!

Short answer: habit :thumbsup2

We have a family tradition of going to WDW for T-giving...this will be our sixth...sometimes we go a couple of days early; sometimes we stay a couple of days late...

Decorations are all up, everywhere, by the day after T-giving, including all Christmas activities (including tree-lighting at Epcot and the Candlelight Processional (which is my all-time favorite most wonderful holiday magic of all...and just as lovely from a perch on a ledge across the walkway from the actual pavilion if you're not in the mood to wait in line for a seat) ...

Last year, when we went a couple of days early, the Epcot tree wasn't up and the gorgeous lit archway on the walkway to the International Showcase wasn't lit til the day after T-giving. My DS (a college student) had trouble sleeping the night before T-giving, so went outside around 2 a.m. to sit on the sand, and saw the CMs putting up the Yacht Club Christmas (no Christmas in sight when we checked in, 2 days prior to T-giving)...he came to get me (it was worth waking up) and we watched them put up all the wondrous decorations there...including the phenomenal "train village" in the lobby...

Downtown Disney was all dressed up when we arrived...I don't remember what was decorated on the day before T-giving other than Downtown Disney (and that Epcot wasn't--since that's my favorite)...don't remember which park we went to that Wednesday--likely Epcot since my memory isn't usually quite this vague.

So, bottom line: yes, if you're awake and around, the CMs are very friendly about letting you watch them put up the deocrations (at least in the resorts); no, not everything is decorated prior to T-giving, but as far as I can tell, everything is decorated by the day after T-giving...

And it's magical and wonderful and one of very most favorite holiday traditions!

As for swimming: weather is very variable (in our experience)...some days it has gotten positively hot; some days it never get above 60 (can't remember trip-to-trip which was which)--but most afternoons are fine for a swim; most mornings require some "bravery"...I swim for exercise, and much prefer very early in the morning (in a quiet pool)...once in the water (it's heated) and moving about, it's fine--refreshing and invogorating; but getting in takes some will power! At night, it's positively cold, but DS tells me that's half the fun! Once again, the pool water is heated, so once you're in you're a-ok...it's the getting in (and out again) that's the challenge!

Happy Holidays!

spiceycat said:

Yup. Thanks SC. I forgot those early one this year. As a matter of fact I was wrong even if I prefaced my statement with it used to start....because it used to start the Sunday after Thanksgiving not Monday. That's why we are staying an extra night this year and having the kids miss a extra day of school, to catch it on Monday instead of our past Sunday.

HBC

What's really cool is the taking down of the decorations. They will be up one day and gone the next. We were at VWL a few years ago at Christmas time and for the marathon. On the evening of the marathon(Sunday night), we saw three or four large tractor trailer trucks parked at the entrance to WL. The next morning as we packed up our car, the trucks were gone and so were the decorations in the lobby and at the resort.

Cruella,
Boy are you in for a treat! When I retired from teaching one of the highlights was my first trip to WDW in early December. I hope to go every year from now on. Besides all that others have mentioned, be sure to visit GF and BCV and BWV to see the lobby decorations. I absolutely love the special ending to Illuminations, choreographed to "Let There Be Peace on Earth."
Have a BLAST!

Deb & Bill said:
What's really cool is the taking down of the decorations. They will be up one day and gone the next. We were at VWL a few years ago at Christmas time and for the marathon. On the evening of the marathon(Sunday night), we saw three or four large tractor trailer trucks parked at the entrance to WL. The next morning as we packed up our car, the trucks were gone and so were the decorations in the lobby and at the resort.

Do you happen to remember the date? We are wanting to go to WDW sometime in Jan instead of Dec (to avoid the crowds) but would hate to miss the decorations. Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I feel better knowing that I will be able to see the Christmas decorations and Osborne Lights, and the arch at Epcot. I think I will call tomorrow to find out if seats are still available for the Candlelight Processional and the Christmas Party. They sound like fun! :)

I am also interested in the web site that listed the dates that the resorts are scheduled to be decorated. Does anyone know about that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter