Christmas 2017

Last year I got a good pre black Friday deal on a Christmas tree at Lowes. I just looked online now and they are all still full price but I would check in November. I had wanted a new tree for a while an had thought I would get the best deal after Christmas but found the selection wasn't great after Christmas so I was pretty to have gotten a deal last year before Thanksgiving.

I got a few more things ordered today, but I am still so behind where I usually am by this time.
I got my dd a Keurig for her dorm. She is only allowed the small one and she wanted a colored one not the black one. I have no idea why the colored ones are $100, that is more than I paid for my big Keurig. Anyway I got it at Kohls because they have 20% off plus $10 off code now and I had a $10 reward to spend. Got $10 in Kohls cash too. The mini wasn't in their BF ad so I figure might as well get it now.
I ordered my ds a portable bluetooth speaker he asked for. He asked for it for his birthday (in a couple weeks) but I already got him his b-day present.
I got myself a Mickey and Minnie cheese board set. It was so cute I couldn't resist. It is a pure frivolous want so I'll let dh know it can count towards Christmas. I do most of my own shopping anyway :)

I got my Godson's list from his mom nice and early this year. He's getting older so his wants are getting a little pricier, but I'm ok with getting him less gifts but getting him more expensive ones. When he was little I would get him several little things because it was more about unwrapping a ton of things for him, but now that he's older he'll probably get 2 gifts totaling $40 for Christmas and the same for his birthday. Hopefully I'll be able to get him gifts that are worth more than that but can use coupons to bring the price down.

I hope I can get his gifts done by mid November at the latest. I'm due around Thanksgiving so I really won't have time (or money!) to be shopping so I'll be glad to have it all done early. Still need to order DH the board game he wants for Christmas and finish our stocking stuffers, plus get my Disney Gift Card that I'm asking for, but that could all be done via Amazon Prime in December if needed, so I'm not too worried about that. I have my mom's gift saved in my Amazon prime (some David's cookies) so I just need to have it shipped to her closer to the holiday. Her gift for her December birthday, a Shutterfly book of our Disney vacations when I was growing up, arrived the other day so that's done. i'm going to order my grandma some gourmet treats as well from Amazon and have them mailed. I also need to get DS's Elf on the Shelf and Disney bank, but those can also be ordered online right before so I'm not too worried!

At this point I just need to get the last few things for my Godson that need to be physically picked up in the store done in the next few weeks. i'm going to wrap all the presents I currently have done on Halloween while i pass out treats to get those out of the way and try to mail them early by mid November just to make sure everything gets to everyone well in advance of the holidays. I'm going to do Holiday themed birth announcements this year that will double as Christmas cards, so I need to factor in the cost of those as well, though luckily I have plenty of coupons for Tinyprints!

Sounds like I have so much to do still when I type it all out like this, but really I'm getting so close to the finish line and chugging right along!

I don't know why i'm not getting my emails for this forum :sad1: I love seeing everything everyone has bought so far, but i'm in a bind about some other things for my DD12 aside from stocking stuffers, she would love some sort of SFX prosthetic kit since she loves all that stuff. I haven't found anything on the cheaper side and don't want to spend too much since I don't know how much time she will actually spend messing with it., aside from Disney she is a huge horror film fan
(we all are :D ) she is a huge fan of "The Walking Dead" and "Stranger Things" any ideas appreciated thanks guys!!

Finally got my 1st gifts for my kids...
2 fidget spinners - $1 each (with a $1 each back for Prime Video) - boys actually asked for these, and they were the nice type:)
72 pack Prismacolor colored pencils with pencil sharpener - $29 DD2 surprised me and said she wanted better colored pencils for her drawing - wow, that was a definite yes gift from me
Pokemon Ultra Moon 3ds - $32 (DD1 asked for this - this is actually a birthday gift for her, but her birthday is in the season, so I'm listing it here - between her home Murder Mystery Party with her friends and this game, I'll probably only pick her up a few tiny extra things for her birthday, like a book and DVD, and save the rest of her presents for Xmas)...

My oldest literally said, other than the game above, surprise her with all gifts...and my 2nd gave me 3 items (this is other than the Switch they asked for), and my boys gave me the fidget spinners and that it...so this should be an interesting Xmas:)...

I’m in a quandary this year. The last few Christmases have really been over the top. I have 4 kids (20, 17, 15, and 13) who all live at home, and they have come to expect these big expensive Christmases.

I’m tired of it and really want to tone it down, but I don’t know how to do it without leaving them really disappointed. :(

I’m in a quandary this year. The last few Christmases have really been over the top. I have 4 kids (20, 17, 15, and 13) who all live at home, and they have come to expect these big expensive Christmases.

I’m tired of it and really want to tone it down, but I don’t know how to do it without leaving them really disappointed. :(

At their age, just tell them...you can also encourage them to take over some of the "over the top-ness" that you don't want to do if they are gonna miss it. I mean, at that age, I bought with my own money for all my siblings as did my siblings, so we just added our gifts to the piles the night before with our names on them...

Had $75 in Lego Rewards so I got DS10 the Pirates of Caribbean pirate ship. Redoing his room in Harry Potter theme, ordered a Hogswarts area rug on sale at ThinkGeek. DH ordered some sort of new Pokémon cards for him. Finally booked our resort for Punta Cana for our Christmas Eve arrival so that’s done. And two trips to GWL, for Thanksgiving and early Feb so lots of upcoming travel to look forward to. And DS still hasn’t mentioned what he wants...

2 fidget spinners - $1 each (with a $1 each back for Prime Video) - boys actually asked for these, and they were the nice type:)
72 pack Prismacolor colored pencils with pencil sharpener - $29 DD2 surprised me and said she wanted better colored pencils for her drawing - wow, that was a definite yes gift from me
Pokemon Ultra Moon 3ds - $32 (DD1 asked for this - this is actually a birthday gift for her, but her birthday is in the season, so I'm listing it here - between her home Murder Mystery Party with her friends and this game, I'll probably only pick her up a few tiny extra things for her birthday, like a book and DVD, and save the rest of her presents for Xmas)...

My oldest literally said, other than the game above, surprise her with all gifts...and my 2nd gave me 3 items (this is other than the Switch they asked for), and my boys gave me the fidget spinners and that it...so this should be an interesting Xmas:)...

And in the "Mom gift" need category budget, just spent $55 shipped at Land's End (they have GREAT sales going on) and got...
2 piece adult female tankini for DD 1 - bought as separate pieces
2 piece adult female tankini for DD 2 - bought as separate pieces
Light Supima Cotton sweater for DH

Considering the swim suits would have cost me $110/each pre-summer and the sweater $65 (so this would have been $285 normally), I'm happy. The 2nd one has been in swimming all fall and needed a new swim suit and the older one wants to swim in the winter...I love the Land's End suits b/c they last at least 1 year+ without fading out/overstretching/etc...

I have 4 kids (20, 17, 15, and 13) who all live at home, and they have come to expect these big expensive Christmases.

NO! Just NO!

I mean this in the nicest of ways but you are not doing them any favors by letting this continue. Think of their expectations when they get their own place and own families. And then they can't afford it and get into crazy debt.

I'd suggest this: send an invitation to a pizza party , ATTENDANCE REQUIRED, to your kids. Don't tell them what it's about. Sign up for an " adopt a family" sit your family down and talk about this family during your pizza dinner. Single mom, four kids, etc. You can provide the budget and let your kids make a plan for the shopping. Stress that whatever your family gets them is likely all the adopt a family gets for Christmas. Make your kids do the shopping. Make it an annual tradition. On Christmas, say " I wonder how our adopt a family is liking their presents and the food we bought them?"

23032786_1407340229363616_4929350837958992873_n.jpg

They are all old enough to be told the truth and if they are disappointed they will get over it.

I would just be up-front about it. Tell them what the budget is and that you are sticking to it. End of story. They'll get over it.

Where did you find Pokemon Ultra Moon for $32?

The only reason I see to tone it down is because you want to. Christmas is extravagant around here. I do not believe that it has turned my kids into greedy people who will some day be debt-ridden. It's a fun time that we all enjoy.

It took me a few hours today between work tasks, but I read every post in this thread and thank you everyone for the great ideas.

Knocked a few more things off my list tonight. I got my ds a video game and got my dd a Vera Bradley backpack and ID case for 40% off the sale price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter