"Chores" Question

princess isabella

Mouseketeer
I was considering making a chore chart for my daughter and awarding with disney dollars. I have a few questions for you experienced parents.

Is 4 to young for chores?

What things should she be able to do?

Should I award for things like getting on Pajamas and eating dinner?

I found the Disney dollar thread on the DISigns board and was going to give her the points ones to trade in for money.

ex: folding laundry = one mickey point

What do you think? Am I asking to much? :confused3

I think this is a great idea, not just for Disney, but other things they want to do that requires money or a lot of time. Four years old is about the right time as it gives them responsibility and they know they are doing it for a reason that will benefit them. Doing chores for money these days doesn't have as much clout unless its for a lot of money to buy something specific. Chores such as putting items in the proper recycle bins, separating socks, making their bad, pick up toys when they're done with them, especially when there are a lot of pieces, and straightening out the shoes.

I think 4 might be too young to completely understand the concept. :confused3

Yes 4 is a good age. At that age mine carefully carried plates and dishes to dishwasher (Correlle). They would help empty garbage...one of you take trash bag around and let her empty bedroom and bathroom cans into it. Picking up toys, keeping room straight and helping make bed are also good (let her do at her age level).

I don't think the putting pj's on and eating are a good idea but that is my opinion. Others might do. She will expect a reward for every small thing. Make a chore chart that is simple. Let her get an X (laminate if possible) and at end of week give her a set $$ amt or whatever for each X. Or give her tickets for doing her chores and then if she misbehaves have her give you a ticket.

My boys are 14 and 15.....still set and clear table, help do laundry (yes they will make a good husband cause I have taught them), help clean bathrooms and their bedrooms, gather hangers, do trash and clean cat box (they hate that but alternate). They help do yard work and shovel, they help take Xmas lights down, etc.

Honestly it is amazing how many kids DON'T do chores and you can honestly tell those who don't. You are doing a good thing and don't let people who say she is to young make you change your mind. Make them simple and age appropriate. Make reward the same and don't give too many or she will expect rewards all the time.

I still love remembering when we'd go to friends houses and my 4 and 5 year old would clear their spots (only if plastic dishes or throw away paper plates)j...the look on friends faces was priceless. Some thought I was the meanest mom in the world but I have very well mannered young men that I am very proud of.

Good job to you for wanting to do this....she will benefit from it!!! Those who don't do chores appear to be the ones who expect everyone to do stuff for them (in school they are the ones who wont clean up after themselves).

I am not implying that at age 4 she shouldn't have to clean up for herself or help pick up and do simple things around the house.... I just dont know that rewarding her with money to spend at Disney World is a concept that a four year old can understand? To be honest I dont think i would want my daughter to think that when she does "chores" or cleans up or anything else that i have her help me do (put clothes away, bring me things, help clean toys or spills on the floor.... etc) that she should recieve a "reward." I believe that its better to teach her to do these things, well..... just because they need to be done!!!!

I am not implying that at age 4 she shouldn't have to clean up for herself or help pick up and do simple things around the house.... I just dont know that rewarding her with money to spend at Disney world is a concept that a four year old can understand? and to be honest I dont think i would want my daughter to think that when she does "chores" or cleans up or anything else that i have her help me do (put clothes away, bring me things, help clean toys or spills on the floor.... etc) that she should recieve a "reward." I believe that its better to teach her to do these things, well..... just because they need to be done!!!!

I wasn't directing that at your post! If you look at times I was obviously typing my LONG LONG post when yours posted. I understand your view on this too and apologize if you took my post the wrong way. As soon as I hit submit and saw yours I thought 'oh no' ....sorry again.

honestly four is not to young to be understanding about the concept of money--they learn in kindergarten in my state. That is why I said not for the putting on pj's or eating dinner but for doing some chores giving money isn't a bad thing. BUT we all parent differently so whatever we all do we should respect.

:goodvibes No worries, just stating my opinion on it, i understand parents being eager to teach children responsibility im just not convienced that the average 4 yr old can fully understand the concept of "earning money to get what you want".... My four year old still asks why I have to go to work and she still believes that the reason is that I can bring her banana's :banana::banana: when I get home.... (IDK where that came from cuz I work at a bank!!! hahaha)

She ALSO is having a hard time understanding that we aren't going to Disney TODAY - we are going "when it gets hot outside" as I tell her... lol and she asks me everyday!!!!! she hasn't fully grasp'd the idea of something being so far off into the future...

Altoqueenkelly;39487979She ALSO is having a hard time understanding that we aren't going to Disney TODAY - we are going "when it gets hot outside" as I tell her... lol and she asks me everyday!!!!! she hasn't fully grasp'd the idea of something being so far off into the future...[/QUOTE said:
We've solved this by making a paper chain with the correct number of days until we leave for WDW. Before DS goes to bed for the night, he pulls one chain off. This gives him a visual clue that as the chain gets shorter, we are getting closer to our trip.

We've solved this by making a paper chain with the correct number of days until we leave for WDW. Before DS goes to bed for the night, he pulls one chain off. This gives him a visual clue that as the chain gets shorter, we are getting closer to our trip.

Omg.... 5 months of paper chains!!! :rotfl::rotfl: I would die trying to make this!!! Great idea tho! thanks!

I didnt intentionally tell her but she kept asking about it while i was planning online and so now she knows LOL

In our home we do not give money for helping out around the house.
We consider this part of being a family. And a family works together to accomplish what is required.
We give an allowance and the only thing that effects that allowance is attitude/behavior.
We do "reward" for things that go above the normal (example shoveling 20 plus inches of snow, unloading trailer full of mulch and mulching everything, etc) either by getting them something (video game, dvds, cds, etc) we know that want or by giving them money to put towards what they are saving for.

My friends give allowance for chores. I have heard on more than one occasion how thier kids did not do anything they told them to do because they didn't need the money that week.

adding to post
OP to answer your question, no 4 is not to early to begin helping out around the house.
Mine help vacuum, sort laundry, help prepare dinner, clean, put away things, etc.
It is all done together, so they really don't think of it as being a "chore" but something that just needs done.
Once they are older and I don't feel I need to supervise them, I will begin to assign tasks on a rotating basis.
I am a firm believer that there is no boy or girl chores. They will learn to do everything to be able to be self sufficient.

I think it's a great idea. At 4 they are capable of doing so much. DS has had the job of emptying the trash since he was 3. Every morning he has to bring each trash can from around the house and pour them in the big kitchen trash can. I would only "pay" for jobs, not personal care. When mine were that age for personal care I took pictures of them doing each thing, brushing teeth, brushing hair, putting their dirty clothes in the hamper, washing their hands, and then a picture of them holding their pj's (instead of a picture of them actually changing). I put the pictures on a poasterboard and hung them on the back of their doors. Then at bedtime they each knew exactly what to do and I only had to tell them to go get ready, not follow them around reminding them.

We also do reward/allowance based on behavior vs household chores. Two things not mentioned yet that we did with our kids as young as 4 were:
~ An adult not having to repeat something more than once (ie shoes and coats on, brush teeth, etc), it drives me crazy to have to repeat the same thing over and over so mine are rewarded when everything in a day is done the 1st time it's asked.
~ We have a 7AM rule for both weekdays and weekends. All of the kids have digital and analog clocks in their rooms (we put stickers on the 12 & 7 for the youngest) and if they wake up before 7:00 they need to play quietly in their rooms until we go get them or 7AM. This allows me to get ready in peace weekday mornings and weekends we get a few extra minutes of rest. :thumbsup2

Now mine know without being told that they stay in their rooms and play or read until 7:00 (we no longer reward for it, habit is built), and when an adult asks them to do something they either do it right away or at least acknowledge they heard and will do as soon as they can.

We're rewarding for other things now, homework completed without being asked, rooms staying clean (sheets changed weekly, beds made daily), stuff used is immediately put away etc, and once those habits are built will move onto the next challenge. ;)

In our home we do not give money for helping out around the house.
We consider this part of being a family. And a family works together to accomplish what is required.
We give an allowance and the only thing that effects that allowance is attitude/behavior.
We do "reward" for things that go above the normal (example shoveling 20 plus inches of snow, unloading trailer full of mulch and mulching everything, etc) either by getting them something (video game, dvds, cds, etc) we know that want or by giving them money to put towards what they are saving for.

My friends give allowance for chores. I have heard on more than one occasion how thier kids did not do anything they told them to do because they didn't need the money that week.

We have the same philosophy.

I always tell them no one pays ME to do MY chores, why should I pay them LOL

No seriously, it's just part of being a responsible member of the family.

We don't give allowances either. BUT my kids are little entrepeneurs. My 4th grade daughter worked as a mothers helper last summer and earned a good bit of money. The whole gang has managed to earn a fair amount of money with a lemonade stand over the summer too. They are already brainstorming money making ideas for next summer. Personally, I prefer that approach but to each his own.

We have the same philosophy.

I always tell them no one pays ME to do MY chores, why should I pay them LOL

No seriously, it's just part of being a responsible member of the family.

We don't give allowances either. BUT my kids are little entrepeneurs. My 4th grade daughter worked as a mothers helper last summer and earned a good bit of money. The whole gang has managed to earn a fair amount of money with a lemonade stand over the summer too. They are already brainstorming money making ideas for next summer. Personally, I prefer that approach but to each his own.

:thumbsup2 Yep, what I was trying to say. :goodvibes

I think 4 is a good time to start giving them little jobs. Mine started with emptying the dish washer (what she could reach like plastic cups and silver ware). She loves doing this. Also bringing out the recyclables with me. I would give her a Chuck E Cheese coin or a sticker. I think the Disney points are fun too. She might just like to collect them even if she doesn't understand the monetary value.

My 9 year old started this way and now gets a general allowance for the week. If she doesn't help she doesn't get it. It really motivates her when she doesn't feel like it. I give her enough to get little things and buy her friends birthday presents. I was torn about rewarding for helping with stuff she should have to do anyway but I figure, I'm going to spend the money anyway so why not give her the responsibility of saving it and using it herself. She gets $9/week for a variety of jobs. Some weeks there are more than others like shoveling with us or raking leaves but she gets the same amount. That way she gets the general helping out part too. She has already learned to be a great saver and find discounts for the things she wants to buy. Great skills to learn so early.

My teen daughter and I were discussing this subject yesterday. I asked her when she first cleared the table and brought all the dishes near to the dishwasher. She responded that she was probably 4 years old.

What a great thread! My DD is 3 1/2 and she will help set the table and put her toys away, get dressed, etc... I really like the idea of the picture board of what she needs to do to get ready for bed.
One chore not mentioned that I think is great for the little ones, is cleaning the baseboards! :thumbsup2 They are the perfect size to get down there and it saves my back. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter