Chapek: "Maybe by this fall-Limited Operations of Our (Disney) Cruise Ships"

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was enjoying the discussion, or more specifically, the legal concept of fraud.

The RCL rolling cancellation idea of 90 days based on time needed to be sail ready was one question I had in regards to Disney. If you know you can’t be ready, quit selling. I am assuming this is, in actuality, what RCL is doing.

I also thought they would need to sell with a reduced vacancy, as cruises out of Singapore, and soon Israel, are reported as doing. Wonder if DCL is stopping booking at 50% occupancy?

... The more times I read Chapek’s statement, the more I think they have no expectation to sail this fall, either. Just stringing us along. My gut feeling is no DCL vacation in 2021.

If I had not paid with gift cards and had no one else involved (family members), I would say punt the OBB discount and the 125% FCC and get our money back now. Then reconsider cruising in several years. I’ve got 17 DCL cruises under my belt; I could be done.

... well, if Lighthouse Point gets developed, I would certainly like to go.
Thanks. There were some great comments here, that really got me thinking, even if I have a tendency to dig into my position and be a bit obnoxious.

17? Wow, that is impressive. It's my favorite vacation by far. Does it ever lose its charm? I personally took one, loved it so much, but then my wife got sick for about four years and we couldn't go back. Never thought I would, and I was devastated. But she recovered and we finally went back in 2019. Had DCL Greece booked in 2020 and DCL Caribbean this week. So, I am back to waiting! I am a pro at it now. The universe likes to just give me a taste and then take it away.

Hopefully Disney was being ultra conservative, and if things really improve they will slip in some limited cruising this summer and full cruising in the fall. But who knows - his comments sure weren't encouraging.

Last edited:
What if the limited return to sailing is The Magic doing cruises to no where or cruises with domestic UK ports for UK only residents?

What if the limited return to sailing is The Magic doing cruises to no where or cruises with domestic UK ports for UK only residents?

Its a possibility.

The problem is that they go to the expense of staffing the ship for what, four cruises? They can't sail the transatlantic with passengers.

And logistically, to put the Magic in the Mediterranean this fall/winter isn't logistically feasible. Port contracts/excursions don't just happen with a click of the fingers.

I could be wrong.

Its a possibility.

The problem is that they go to the expense of staffing the ship for what, four cruises? They can't sail the transatlantic with passengers.

And logistically, to put the Magic in the Mediterranean this fall/winter isn't logistically feasible. Port contracts/excursions don't just happen with a click of the fingers.

I could be wrong.

I'm not talking about The Magic just doing 4 cruises. My thoughts are that if DCL are planning UK cruises, is that those last 4 cruises will be cancelled and a new summer season of sailings will be announced, just like Cunard, P & 0 and Princess are planning. My speculation is that these new DCL will be in July, August and September, that they will be for UK residents only, and will either be cruises to no where or cruises with domestic UK ports.

If these cruises happen, I'm not expecting the same range of port excursions, most likely, the ship would dock in say Liverpool and there would be very minimal or no port excursions, people would just have the option to get off the ship if they want. UK people don't need all the hand holding, everything planned for them by DCL Guest services like Americans do.

The same then in the winter, if DCL move to Barcelona for winter Mediterranean sailings. Again the cruises could be cruises to no where or cruises just to Spanish islands, with very minimal or no port excursions.

You are thinking about a pre Covid Mediterranean season, with the huge range of port excursions. Thats not going to happen in 2021.

I’m booked on the 8 night cruise in October 2021 that as of right now can’t sail as scheduled per the CDC. I wish DCL would tell us what they’re doing with that cruise so we can make alternative plans. I’m afraid DCL is going to release the Summer 2022 schedule and we’ll still be waiting on an answer for October and miss out on 1st day pricing (we’re Platinum). I already have $12,000 invested in that cruise for 2 cabins, so I don’t want to hand over more money to DCL at this point.

We were also on this cruise - booked opening day. We moved to a cruise in September a few months ago. Think the writing is on the wall that this cruise will not sail. Figured our chances would be better with a 7 night sailing. If DCL doesn’t sail by September, we are going to book one of Crystal’s sailings out of the Bahamas.

We were also on this cruise - booked opening day. We moved to a cruise in September a few months ago. Think the writing is on the wall that this cruise will not sail. Figured our chances would be better with a 7 night sailing. If DCL doesn’t sail by September, we are going to book one of Crystal’s sailings out of the Bahamas.

I just started looking at Crystal last night also. We are booked in concierge in September for a Western and I am really doubting it's going to sail. We always assumed we would switch to Crystal/Azamara type of line when we are a bit older, but I'm ready to jump now and give it a try. Our daughter is almost 17 and doesn't use the kids clubs much anyway. We love fine dining and good wine. Just being on a beautiful ship, relaxing and being pampered sounds pretty awesome right now.

I just started looking at Crystal last night also. We are booked in concierge in September for a Western and I am really doubting it's going to sail. We always assumed we would switch to Crystal/Azamara type of line when we are a bit older, but I'm ready to jump now and give it a try. Our daughter is almost 17 and doesn't use the kids clubs much anyway. We love fine dining and good wine. Just being on a beautiful ship, relaxing and being pampered sounds pretty awesome right now.

Anyone thinking about the Crystal Bahama cruises needs to be aware of the entry requirements to The Bahamas

Bahamas Tourist Entry Requirements
Step 1:
Everyone travelling to The Bahamas must obtain a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR (swab) test taken no more than 5 days prior to the date of arrival. The day the test is taken is considered day zero. Test must return a negative result for entry into The Bahamas.
  • Children 10 and under, and pilots and crew of commercial airlines who remain overnight in The Bahamas, are not required to take a test.
  • Negative PCR test results must be uploaded in order to complete a Bahamas Health Visa application, and must be presented upon arrival in The Bahamas.
  • Any person presenting test results older than 5 days will not be allowed entry into The Bahamas.
STEP 2:
Once in possession of a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test, travellers can apply for their required Bahamas Travel Health Visa at travel.gov.bs.
  • As part of the Travel Health Visa application, travellers will be required to opt-in to COVID-19 health insurance that covers them for the duration of their stay in The Bahamas. The cost of insurance is included in the Travel Health Visa application fee.
  • Travel Health Visa applications take up to 48 hours to process and should be completed with adequate lead time.
  • The cost of the Travel Health Visa is dependent on length of stay.

The same then in the winter, if DCL move to Barcelona for winter Mediterranean sailings. Again the cruises could be cruises to no where or cruises just to Spanish islands, with very minimal or no port excursions.

You are thinking about a pre Covid Mediterranean season, with the huge range of port excursions. Thats not going to happen in 2021.

DCL won't do winter cruises in Europe regardless of port or itinerary. It's never done it in 20+ years, hasn't done it when conditions were ideal (huge demand, no covid), there is just no way in the world they'll do it in the middle of a pandemic.
There is zero chance DCL will cruise out of Europe this year.

Anyone thinking about the Crystal Bahama cruises needs to be aware of the entry requirements to The Bahamas

Bahamas Tourist Entry Requirements
Step 1:
Everyone travelling to The Bahamas must obtain a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR (swab) test taken no more than 5 days prior to the date of arrival. The day the test is taken is considered day zero. Test must return a negative result for entry into The Bahamas.
  • Children 10 and under, and pilots and crew of commercial airlines who remain overnight in The Bahamas, are not required to take a test.
  • Negative PCR test results must be uploaded in order to complete a Bahamas Health Visa application, and must be presented upon arrival in The Bahamas.
  • Any person presenting test results older than 5 days will not be allowed entry into The Bahamas.
STEP 2:
Once in possession of a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test, travellers can apply for their required Bahamas Travel Health Visa at travel.gov.bs.
  • As part of the Travel Health Visa application, travellers will be required to opt-in to COVID-19 health insurance that covers them for the duration of their stay in The Bahamas. The cost of insurance is included in the Travel Health Visa application fee.
  • Travel Health Visa applications take up to 48 hours to process and should be completed with adequate lead time.
  • The cost of the Travel Health Visa is dependent on length of stay.
We will be vaccinated by september - already had the first dose of pfizer two weeks ago. Countries are already changing the rules for vaccinated guests. No testing - just show proof of vaccine for entry.

We will be vaccinated by september - already had the first dose of pfizer two weeks ago. Countries are already changing the rules for vaccinated guests. No testing - just show proof of vaccine for entry.

You can not just assume, that will be the case, just because you have a vaccine, does not give you automatic right to enter a country. You will need to keep a close watch on what The Bahama Government require. They nay not change the requirements. You should be prepared to take the test and to get the Bahama Health card.

You can not just assume, that will be the case, just because you have a vaccine, does not give you automatic right to enter a country. You will need to keep a close watch on what The Bahama Government require. They nay not change the requirements. You should be prepared to take the test and to get the Bahama Health card.
I am quite capable of figuring out the entry requirements for different countries for travel. I feel very confident that by september, most countries will open up to vaccinated guests. They need the tourist revenue. If not, I am also quite capable of getting a negative covid test and uploading it to a website. Thanks for your concern.

If these cruises happen, I'm not expecting the same range of port excursions, most likely, the ship would dock in say Liverpool and there would be very minimal or no port excursions, people would just have the option to get off the ship if they want. UK people don't need all the hand holding, everything planned for them by DCL Guest services like Americans do.

I don't think it's really fair to say that American's need hand holding and to have everything planned for them. We don't have the luxury of living so close to all of these places so if we are going to make the journey, we want to make the most of it. I don't need a tour everywhere I go but I would very much like one if I am visiting a country in Europe I have never visited before, particularly if I don't speak the language and I only have 1 day.

We are booked on the Sep 4/11 B2B and hoping we get to go. I know it's not looking great but I feel like a lot can happen in 6 months so I will remain optimistic for now.

I don't think it's really fair to say that American's need hand holding and to have everything planned for them. We don't have the luxury of living so close to all of these places so if we are going to make the journey, we want to make the most of it. I don't need a tour everywhere I go but I would very much like one if I am visiting a country in Europe I have never visited before, particularly if I don't speak the language and I only have 1 day.

It also depends on where the ports are. Some ports you can walk off the ship and explore. Some ports are over an hour away from the city center/interesting tourist areas. For a land-based trip, a car accident/train being late doesn't mean a big deal. For a cruise ship, it can be a major problem if you can't make it back to port on-time.

If you want to visit an area that's iffy time-wise on your own, a ship sponsored excursion makes it do-able.

Do you really think there are tens of thousands of Brits who would pay $5000 for a boat ride to Liverpool? There is just nowhere near enough demand by UK citizens at Disney prices to offset the cost of operating that ship.

Never say never, but the most conservative cruise line who doesn’t have the same pressing financial concerns of other lines, isn’t going to end a year+ shutdown in a foreign home port far from their offices and in ports that they have historically performed badly with in terms of local customers.

Yesterday the CDC gave the ok for Workplace Vaccinations to be implemented. The decision could be very helpful for the resorts and if the logistics of getting crew members gathered could be worked out (granted the fact that majority are not from the US make the logistics really complicated) eventually help DCL regarding a fully vaccinated crew and overcome a big hurdle to being able to restart operations .

What? We Americans must be pretty dumb lol. If we do excursions at a port, we only book through the cruise lines to cover us if the excursion runs late. This was hammered home for us when they held the ship for our tour group for an excursion we were on that ran quite late on either our first or second cruise ever. Other ports we just get off the ship and wander around a bit on our own. Not sure what you are implying in your comment, but putting down a whole countries worth of people isn't cool!

What? We Americans must be pretty dumb lol. If we do excursions at a port, we only book through the cruise lines to cover us if the excursion runs late. This was hammered home for us when they held the ship for our tour group for an excursion we were on that ran quite late on either our first or second cruise ever. Other ports we just get off the ship and wander around a bit on our own. Not sure what you are implying in your comment, but putting down a whole countries worth of people isn't cool!
A difference in touring styles, Americans tend to use ship excursions, UK / Europeans tend to do DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter