changes in 2018 Itineraries

They also changed a visit to Silverado vineyards to simply a vineyard.
That's very disappointing. Having done this tour, I doubt that we would do it again anyway, we enjoyed it all but the visit to Silverado was so much fun for us. We joined the Silverado wine club while we were there.

On the other hand, Stresa looks better. Glad to see that hotel upgraded.
Agree. Our room at the old hotel was a great location, with a veranda that would have accommodated the entire group, but the room itself left a bit to be desired. Of course, we don't know if the new hotel is better.

I'm sad to see the Isle of Skye go. I was less interested in Scotland after the loss of the Isle of Lewis. This probably kills it for me. Scotland was my DW and my first overseas trip together, and I'm looking forward to going back. But it was the Highlands and Isle of Skye that I really fell in love with and must see again. We're leaving on our Iceland cruise soon and one of the ports is Inverness. I was about to arrange a private tour until I saw a Port Adventure to Kyle of Lochalsh and Eileen Donan Castle. I was so excited to see that.

I totally understand. The loss of those Island excursions is really just so sad to me!

Have you been to Eileen Donan Castle? You're going to love it. I can't believe that's not part of the ABD itinerary any more, either! :(

Sayhello

I'm so sad to see the gutting of the Scotland trip. That was my favorite ABD to date, and I really feel as if they have removed much of what was special about it. The removal of the Isle of Lewis was a deal breaker for me--without Skye it's even more so. I travel to Scotland frequently and extensively, and even though I love the Borders (and Floors is beautiful), there isn't any comparison with the Isles. What was awesome about the original trip was how far flung it was: the Isle of Lewis, Skye, Dunnottar, Glamis, Cairngorms, etc. It was a trip that would have been very difficult to do on your own. This itinerary is much more of what I would expect a typical itinerary to include--in other words, easy to do on your own and much more generic. Scotland is Scotland--it will be gorgeous wherever you go, but it's disappointing to see the chipping away of what was once a great trip. I'd be much more careful about adding this one up to look at the "value"--$5,300+ PP for this itinerary feels like a lot.

I have been working on an itinerary for visiting Scottland next year on our own and the new ABD itinerary goes to all my top sights. If the price holds until next month when I can book, I may just do my first ABD.

Any changes to Norway, Vietnam or Peru? I think we'll probably do something other than ABD next summer, but these would be the only other contenders now that I know there is no Japan.

Any changes to Norway, Vietnam or Peru? I think we'll probably do something other than ABD next summer, but these would be the only other contenders now that I know there is no Japan.

Peru was the same except for a change to hotel in Lima. Last year it was the JW Marriott along the coast, this year is the Westin in a more centralized area in Lima. We didn't explore that much in Lima so can't really speak to if this is good or bad but the JW was nice.

When did ABD drop the Kenai Fjords from the Alaska trip? I didn't look at the itineraries last year, so maybe it was already gone. It's a shame. The Resurrection Bay cruise was the highlight of the trip. Ireland has a lot of changes since we took the trip in 2014. Activity-wise Peru looks the same.

When did ABD drop the Kenai Fjords from the Alaska trip? I didn't look at the itineraries last year, so maybe it was already gone. It's a shame. The Resurrection Bay cruise was the highlight of the trip. Ireland has a lot of changes since we took the trip in 2014. Activity-wise Peru looks the same.
I don't know. I asked the same question. Apparently it was already gone last year. Resurrection Bay was definitely a highlight for me, too!

Sayhello

I don't know. I asked the same question. Apparently it was already gone last year. Resurrection Bay was definitely a highlight for me, too!

Sayhello

Resurrection Bay is still on the itinerary for this year. I think that would be easy to add-on your own at the end of next year's itinerary. I like how they added more Denali to next year's schedule.

That's very disappointing. Having done this tour, I doubt that we would do it again anyway, we enjoyed it all but the visit to Silverado was so much fun for us. We joined the Silverado wine club while we were there.

Agree. Our room at the old hotel was a great location, with a veranda that would have accommodated the entire group, but the room itself left a bit to be desired. Of course, we don't know if the new hotel is better.

That is too bad about nixing Silverado. I've never been there, but that seems a natural fit with an ABD in Napa. I wonder why? Maybe Silverado has stopped taking groups. Maybe they could go to Lasseter. That would be cool.

The new Stresa hotel is higher ranked on tripadvisor (1st in Stresa vs 5th for the Regina Palace). Not that TripAdvisor is the end all be all, but hopefully it's a good indication. It's also a little bit more expensive.

Walt's apartment has disappeared from the Southern California tour for 2018. It's still listed on the itinerary for 2017 dates, though.

I have booked the new Scotland trip. I've done the older itinerary and loved it. This one goes to some new places that I'm looking forward too. I'm also bringing two of my adult children that didn't go on the first trip. They are very excited and so am I!!!

The new Germany itinerary would be interesting to me, although I agree it skews older now with the change to Berlin and more focus on WWII history. That's me though, I like historical/cultural tours more than nature hikes or activities. It does say the Dachau visit has a minimum age of 12, and they offer an alternate activity of going to the BMW museum if you don't want to go to the concentration camp. Although I think everyone should see a camp at least once. (I went to Dachau about 15 years ago.) It's a difficult thing to see but it's something you will never ever forget.

I'm so sad to see the gutting of the Scotland trip. That was my favorite ABD to date, and I really feel as if they have removed much of what was special about it. The removal of the Isle of Lewis was a deal breaker for me--without Skye it's even more so. I travel to Scotland frequently and extensively, and even though I love the Borders (and Floors is beautiful), there isn't any comparison with the Isles. What was awesome about the original trip was how far flung it was: the Isle of Lewis, Skye, Dunnottar, Glamis, Cairngorms, etc. It was a trip that would have been very difficult to do on your own. This itinerary is much more of what I would expect a typical itinerary to include--in other words, easy to do on your own and much more generic. Scotland is Scotland--it will be gorgeous wherever you go, but it's disappointing to see the chipping away of what was once a great trip. I'd be much more careful about adding this one up to look at the "value"--$5,300+ PP for this itinerary feels like a lot.

Mine too. I'd consider doing the new itinerary simply because I loved the trip we did so much that first year. Now there are new experiences. I hope @aggiemomx3 writes a trip report on the itinerary. That first ABD made me fall hopelessly in love with Scotland. That said, I wish ABD would have added a new itinerary to Scotland as a second choice and kept the original. Isle of Skye is stunning and we are going back again this summer to visit the fairy pools.

Peru was the same except for a change to hotel in Lima. Last year it was the JW Marriott along the coast, this year is the Westin in a more centralized area in Lima. We didn't explore that much in Lima so can't really speak to if this is good or bad but the JW was nice.
Okay great! Thanks for posting. Some of the others have been chipped away so much! I'll check out the different hotel on ta.

Mine too. I'd consider doing the new itinerary simply because I loved the trip we did so much that first year. Now there are new experiences. I hope @aggiemomx3 writes a trip report on the itinerary. That first ABD made me fall hopelessly in love with Scotland. That said, I wish ABD would have added a new itinerary to Scotland as a second choice and kept the original. Isle of Skye is stunning and we are going back again this summer to visit the fairy pools.
You'll love the fairy pools :) and yes, 2 would have been great. There's so much to see in Scotland. I'll be looking forward to reading reports too. I suspect it was profit margin that chipped away at the first trip.

You'll love the fairy pools :) and yes, 2 would have been great. There's so much to see in Scotland. I'll be looking forward to reading reports too. I suspect it was profit margin that chipped away at the first trip.

I'm looking forward to it! I do hope they keep the new Iceland itinerary as is. If they ever do change it, I'd like to see them add more to it so I could justify going LOL It is a great itinerary and had there been more unique experiences in different locales compared to what we already did in 2015 we would have opted for Iceland again. Heck, if the trip was offered in the winter so we could experience the Northern Lights we would have booked it and scrapped our Thanksgiving Iceland trip this year.

The new Germany itinerary would be interesting to me, although I agree it skews older now with the change to Berlin and more focus on WWII history. That's me though, I like historical/cultural tours more than nature hikes or activities. It does say the Dachau visit has a minimum age of 12, and they offer an alternate activity of going to the BMW museum if you don't want to go to the concentration camp. Although I think everyone should see a camp at least once. (I went to Dachau about 15 years ago.) It's a difficult thing to see but it's something you will never ever forget.

I agree, and since I will have two teens by the time we get around to doing this trip (so many places we want to go!) I think this will be a great itinerary. It's actually very similar to the places I went when I did a summer study abroad program through my high school. I remember going to Dachau, and loving Berlin.

I'm looking forward to it! I do hope they keep the new Iceland itinerary as is. If they ever do change it, I'd like to see them add more to it so I could justify going LOL It is a great itinerary and had there been more unique experiences in different locales compared to what we already did in 2015 we would have opted for Iceland again. Heck, if the trip was offered in the winter so we could experience the Northern Lights we would have booked it and scrapped our Thanksgiving Iceland trip this year.

Ooh!! A winter trip would definitely be enticing. Agree with everyone else that the new trip looks amazing. Just way too many repeats from the three days we spent in Iceland on our 2015 cruise for me to justify it as a summer trip. But winter....

Walt's apartment has disappeared from the Southern California tour for 2018. It's still listed on the itinerary for 2017 dates, though.

I wasn't terribly surprised by that given the ADA issues. But it's back to the Grand Californian from the Disneyland Hotel at least...

My husband's grandmother was the only survivor of her family. She was in Dachau, and while he says he wants to see it, I think it would be very emotional for him. We are doing ABD adults only Germany this sept.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts