changes in 2018 Itineraries

Ooh!! A winter trip would definitely be enticing. Agree with everyone else that the new trip looks amazing. Just way too many repeats from the three days we spent in Iceland on our 2015 cruise for me to justify it as a summer trip. But winter....

Add me to the winter group! I would definitely be enticed by the prospect of the Northern Lights. You should be setting these trips up, Calypso! But I'd probably be a lot poorer so maybe not. Disney gets enough of my money as it is!

My husband's grandmother was the only survivor of her family. She was in Dachau, and while he says he wants to see it, I think it would be very emotional for him. We are doing ABD adults only Germany this sept.
I completely understand that it would be much more difficult to see the camp if you have a family member who was there. And not necessarily something you'd want to do with a tour group.

Ireland trip will change quite a bit from the one we took this April. No Guinness Storehouse visit or Jeannie Johnston - EPIC and walking tour instead. No more Irish national stud farm (which we thought was awesome) Kurling instead. No more Muckross, a chocolate experience instead, no more Kate Kearneys cottage, Irish farm dinner instead with scone making. Burren Smokehouse and Brewery instead, no more medieval dinner, no more Blarney Castle.

Thankfully the Guinness Storehouse is still on Day 2. That was my favorite activity we did with ABD in Dublin.

The Ireland changes are an interesting refresh. Removing the Viking duck boat tour, Blarney Castle, the medieval dinner, and Kate Kearneys ABD has chosen to take out the most "touristy" activities. Maybe ABD is trying to move the needle to a more authentic experience. All of the above were very group tour centric. Removing Blarney Castle is a gutsy move considering that's a "must do" for many first time visitors. I'm sad to see some of these go like Blarney and Kate Kearneys, but I'll be very interested to read reviews of the new itinerary. Overall, it looks like an improvement to me.

Last edited:

I agree the changes to Ireland look good. Previously I was not interested in this ABD but now I am.

If Iceland was offered in winter, it would likely be cheaper. Prices for tours appear to cost a lost less off season.

Thankfully the Guinness Storehouse is still on Day 2. That was my favorite activity we did with ABD in Dublin.

The Ireland changes are an interesting refresh. Removing the Viking duck boat tour, Blarney Castle, the medieval dinner, and Kate Kearneys ABD has chosen to take out the most "touristy" activities. Maybe ABD is trying to move the needle to a more authentic experience. All of the above were very group tour centric. Removing Blarney Castle is a gutsy move considering that's a "must do" for many first time visitors. I'm sad to see some of these go like Blarney and Kate Kearneys, but I'll be very interested to read reviews of the new itinerary. Overall, it looks like an improvement to me.

Guinness is not there, Cousin O. At least not where I looked.

There appears to also be a minor change in the Australia trip, which may also reflect an attempt to change the current 2017 bookings. On Day 8 when we booked (and downloaded a copy of the detailed itinerary), breakfast and dinner are provided. Dinner is on your own, which in the past was that ABD provides you a generous visa gift card per person for dinner or just picks up the tab. Dinner has now disappeared from Day 8 in the new, as well as the updated current posted 2017 trips. I double checked to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and sure enough, for the July 2017 trip dinner has disappeared from the downloadable itinerary. As we are on the June 2017 trip, I'll let you all know what happens with this one.

Adventures By Disney | Itinerary: Day 8
Palm Cove, Gold Coast
Meal(s) Included: Breakfast and Dinner

Palm Cove, Gold Coast
Meal(s) Included: Breakfast

There appears to also be a minor change in the Australia trip, which may also reflect an attempt to change the current 2017 bookings. On Day 8 when we booked (and downloaded a copy of the detailed itinerary), breakfast and dinner are provided. Dinner is on your own, which in the past was that ABD provides you a generous visa gift card per person for dinner or just picks up the tab. Dinner has now disappeared from Day 8 in the new, as well as the updated current posted 2017 trips. I double checked to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and sure enough, for the July 2017 trip dinner has disappeared from the downloadable itinerary. As we are on the June 2017 trip, I'll let you all know what happens with this one.

Palm Cove, Gold Coast

Palm Cove, Gold Coast

I know ABD has taken some heat recently on this forum for reducing the number of meals. I generally don't have a problem with their balance of meals provided and meals OYO especially if food quality is top notch, but I think it's worth everyone's attention.

In the 2015 Australia itinerary, it was 11 nights, 8 lunches and 7 dinners provided. It's now 10 nights, 6 and 6. So previously, 73% of lunches and 64% of dinners. For 2017/18 it's 60% lunches and dinners. I'm sure this adds up over a season for ABD. It certainly gives the appearance of increasing profitability rather than for guest experience.

(If you eliminated 1 B/L/D off the trip due to the first day arrival and last day departure, the 2015 stats would be 80% Lunches, 70% Dinners; 2018 stats would be 67% Lunches and Dinners).

Palm Cove, Gold Coast

Palm Cove, Gold Coast

Well that's frustrating. We're booked on the Dec 2017 trip.

I know ABD has taken some heat recently on this forum for reducing the number of meals. I generally don't have a problem with their balance of meals provided and meals OYO especially if food quality is top notch, but I think it's worth everyone's attention.

In the 2015 Australia itinerary, it was 11 nights, 8 lunches and 7 dinners provided. It's now 10 nights, 6 and 6. So previously, 73% of lunches and 64% of dinners. For 2017/18 it's 60% lunches and dinners. I'm sure this adds up over a season for ABD. It certainly gives the appearance of increasing profitability rather than for guest experience.

(If you eliminated 1 B/L/D off the trip due to the first day arrival and last day departure, the 2015 stats would be 80% Lunches, 70% Dinners; 2018 stats would be 67% Lunches and Dinners).

For what its' worth our upcoming Iceland trip with Nat. Geo. we are provided all meals for eight days except lunch on the first day. Also the group is only 21 people which looks like (according to the list provided) 7 families.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter