Change in Provider and Options for Onboard Internet Being Reported

The basic package seems to be a crippled option. How is it that you could post pictures on social media but you can't just read your email? I would think the bandwidth requirements are similar.

LOL. I love the basic package. No web surfing just access to social media so you can post pictures so you can tell burglars....."come break into my house I'm in the middle of the ocean on vacation".
Depends on how you have your social media set up. If you have it locked down to your family and close friends, I doubt burglars will be scrolling through.

It's about time. I know that many people like to disconnect entirely, but premium internet being available on a cruise means that I can do at least some work from the cruise, which means that I can take 2-3x the number of cruises that I would be able to take otherwise. (In the last year I've taken Zoom calls from the Celebrity Edge, the Ruby Princess, and the MSC Seashore.) We actually canceled our EBTA this year specifically because of Disney's terrible internet service.

On cruises I’m perfectly fine just going on airplane mode and accessing the ships app and the few shows/movies/podcasts I’ve pre downloaded from various apps

We were just on the Magic (May 5-8 3-night Bahamian and May 8-21 EBTA) and while waiting in line to board the ship we met one of the men working on updating the internet (and then also ran into him about a dozen times during the 2 cruises). He said eventually all Disney ships will get the upgrade (indicated it was already in place on the WISH) and internet service will now be stronger and reliable. They added 2 new huge satellite balls on both sides of Deck 10 to facilitate the new internet. He told us it would not be available during our cruises, confirming the first sailing to get it would be right after the EBTA.

It's about time. I know that many people like to disconnect entirely, but premium internet being available on a cruise means that I can do at least some work from the cruise, which means that I can take 2-3x the number of cruises that I would be able to take otherwise. (In the last year I've taken Zoom calls from the Celebrity Edge, the Ruby Princess, and the MSC Seashore.) We actually canceled our EBTA this year specifically because of Disney's terrible internet service.
It makes me sad that people need to work on their vacations. We need to be like France and make it illegal.

It makes me sad that people need to work on their vacations. We need to be like France and make it illegal.
I'm not sure what part of my post you're referring to, but it seems awfully judgmental. I travel on leisure trips about 100 days per year. Being able to work remotely is what facilitates that. I also take about 5 weeks of no-work-whatsoever vacation as well (some at home, some while away). While I agree with the general sentiment that Americans don't tend to get enough time off, that is very much not the case for me.

Depends on how you have your social media set up. If you have it locked down to your family and close friends, I doubt burglars will be scrolling through.
Also depends on how savvy the person looking is. Not hard to backdoor around the lockdowns. Just like the cops are doing right now with the suspect in the Uvalde school shooting. If it is on the internet, ANYONE can access it if they try hard enough.

I'm not sure what part of my post you're referring to, but it seems awfully judgmental. I travel on leisure trips about 100 days per year. Being able to work remotely is what facilitates that. I also take about 5 weeks of no-work-whatsoever vacation as well (some at home, some while away). While I agree with the general sentiment that Americans don't tend to get enough time off, that is very much not the case for me.
I was just speaking in general how so many people have to work now during their vacation time. You shouldn't have to because it is vacation.

Looks like it isn't likely, but I am hoping they still offer the usage-based internet.

I like to unplug while on the cruise, so the small package was always good enough for me to do a quick check-up on things once a day, check in for flights, etc.

What once cost $19 spread out over the course of the cruise will now be $40. Ugh.

Looks like it isn't likely, but I am hoping they still offer the usage-based internet.

I like to unplug while on the cruise, so the small package was always good enough for me to do a quick check-up on things once a day, check in for flights, etc.

What once cost $19 spread out over the course of the cruise will now be $40. Ugh.
Well, $20/day if you want to do anything that isn't social media, like checking in for flights or getting your emails. So that's $80 for a 4-day Bahamas cruise, which is roughly equivalent to the old 1GB package, but with unlimited data and a (probably) faster and more reliable connection. So, I think the new system will be better for a lot of people, but worse for folks who only used the smallest data packages with the current system.

I was just speaking in general how so many people have to work now during their vacation time. You shouldn't have to because it is vacation.
Judging from comments I have seen on a lot of cruise forums and vlogs, the issue isn't people using internet, it is where they are using it and how.
I can see where people out sunning themselves by the pool on the cruise ship my not want to be captured on someone else's Facebook Live.
Not everyone wants to unplug, but it would be nice for those who do want to unplug to be able to freely wander the ship without getting caught in someone else's decision to be plugged in.

Judging from comments I have seen on a lot of cruise forums and vlogs, the issue isn't people using internet, it is where they are using it and how.
I can see where people out sunning themselves by the pool on the cruise ship my not want to be captured on someone else's Facebook Live.
Not everyone wants to unplug, but it would be nice for those who do want to unplug to be able to freely wander the ship without getting caught in someone else's decision to be plugged in.

People on vacation have been involuntarily in the background of other people's photos and videos for decades, even before the internet and going "live". Not sure it is much worse just because they are now connected to the internet.

People on vacation have been involuntarily in the background of other people's photos and videos for decades, even before the internet and going "live". Not sure it is much worse just because they are now connected to the internet.
Yes. And most of those videos and photos were rarely seen outside the takers home. Now, the entire world can see them.

The basic package seems to be a crippled option. How is it that you could post pictures on social media but you can't just read your email? I would think the bandwidth requirements are similar.

For that plan, I think they just open the firewall to specific social media apps, because it says you can't browse the internet. So they are essentially limiting your bandwidth use by limiting the apps you can use to a small group.

Yes. And most of those videos and photos were rarely seen outside the takers home. Now, the entire world can see them.
Yes, but that is true regardless of the internet options on the ship and whether or not people are "plugged in" at the time they photos or videos are taken. If they aren't posted "live" they can still be posted when the person gets home. So I don't see how or where people are using the internet on the ship is the issue.

Yes, but that is true regardless of the internet options on the ship and whether or not people are "plugged in" at the time they photos or videos are taken. If they aren't posted "live" they can still be posted when the person gets home. So I don't see how or where people are using the internet on the ship is the issue.
I would hope if someone recorded something unflattering they wouldn't post it later. Not an option with a Facebook Live. My point is, you should show some courtesy before you do a Facebook Live on a cruise ship. And like I posted earlier, this isn't my issue, it is one that is coming up more often on cruise forums and Vlogs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter