Change from the Poly? Family of 6 (2 adults, 4 kids)

Honestly, if you decide that you would really prefer to do two rooms at a value/mod, I'd recommend just calling Disney. Tell them your situation, ask them to put both rooms under the same confirmation number (this is key, plus then you'll only have to pay one $200 deposit even though you have two rooms), and then just ask them if you would be guaranteed connecting rooms. If the CM you talk to initially doesn't seem to know how to put both rooms under the same confirmation number, I'd recommend ending the call and calling back.

Once your rooms are under the same confirmation number, your "thank you for making reservations" e-mail will look a little different than normal. All of you will be listed together as if you were in one room. There will be one total, one deposit, and one balance. This is designed to ensure that your rooms are connecting.

On the other hand, if this seems like more hassle and stress than you want to deal with (which I totally understand) one of the other options you've been considering might be a better fit for you. They are all great choices, but I really do like a PP's point that you will be limited to family suites and villas pretty soon, so this might be the perfect time to try Poly out!
Thank you for that information!
I’ve already had phone calls with Disney that were over 2 hrs to book the original room, but I know I’ll have to call if I change at all. 🙃

Thank you for that information!
I’ve already had phone calls with Disney that were over 2 hrs to book the original room, but I know I’ll have to call if I change at all. 🙃
Ugh that's so frustrating. I don't know your specific situation, but you may not actually have to call if you just want to change your resort. In most cases, you can do that online yourself. Unfortunately, the guaranteed connecting rooms I described cannot be booked online, so you would have to call Disney on that, and it would likely involve having to cancel your initial reservation and rebook (a simple move to a resort that would accommodate all of you in one room would not necessitate cancellation of your initial reservation).

There's some misinformation here about connecting rooms. You actually would be guaranteed connecting rooms since you are two parents traveling with children who are all under the age of 18. This is the only scenario under which connecting rooms is guaranteed. You just need to call and tell them when you're booking. They can even put both rooms under the same confirmation number.

Nope. They would only guarantee if there was ONE parent with too many kids under 18. With 2, the parents would be expected to split themselves between the rooms.

Nope. They would only guarantee if there was ONE parent with too many kids under 18. With 2, the parents would be expected to split themselves between the rooms.
I really don't want to argue about this, but I do this all of the time, and I actually just did it again last week for a client. It's no more than two adults with all children under the age of 18, provided that the rooms at the resort they want to book at wouldn't accommodate them all. So if a family of four wanted to split up into two rooms, they would not be guaranteed connecting. But a family of 5+ could be guaranteed, depending on which resort they're booking at. They'll put both rooms under the same confirmation number with one deposit, and their rooms will be connecting.

As I said in a previous post, I think it would be best if OP called Disney directly to inquire about this (if this is the route she decides to take). GC rooms can't be booked online anyway, so she'd have to call. It sounds like she's leaning toward one of the other options anyway, so it's probably a moot point.

ETA: It's really important that anybody who wants to do this calls (or asks their TA to call) and books over the phone. If you book two reservations online and then call to link them/request connecting rooms later, there is a chance that the rooms won't be connecting. The only way to guarantee is for Disney to book them specifically as GC rooms under one confirmation number with one deposit/balance.

Last edited:

Not sure "not getting them despite being guaranteed" is a view so much as it happens.

I actually think it happened to @HopperFan at some point, if I recall the tales correctly. (If I misremember, sorry, Hopper!)
It did not happen to me but it has been reported many times, in addition to CMs (on the ground, and that is all who matters) telling them it is not guaranteed and there was nothing they could do.

If someone has it printed as a Disney guarantee am sure we'd all love for it to be posted so folks could carry with, but my guess is it does not exist.

It was even a big hassle for a single parent that reported here spending way too long arguing their case to be connected when clearly there was not another 18 year old or older to be responsible for the other room.

Bottom line Disney doesn't even guarantee you will be at the hotel you booked, they only guarantee a room.

Last edited:
Honestly, if you decide that you would really prefer to do two rooms at a value/mod, I'd recommend just calling Disney. Tell them your situation, ask them to put both rooms under the same confirmation number (this is key, plus then you'll only have to pay one $200 deposit even though you have two rooms), and then just ask them if you would be guaranteed connecting rooms. If the CM you talk to initially doesn't seem to know how to put both rooms under the same confirmation number, I'd recommend ending the call and calling back.

Once your rooms are under the same confirmation number, your "thank you for making reservations" e-mail will look a little different than normal. All of you will be listed together as if you were in one room. There will be one total, one deposit, and one balance. This is designed to ensure that your rooms are connecting.

On the other hand, if this seems like more hassle and stress than you want to deal with (which I totally understand) one of the other options you've been considering might be a better fit for you. They are all great choices, but I really do like a PP's point that you will be limited to family suites and villas pretty soon (assuming you don't want to book two rooms), so this might be the perfect time to try Poly out!

We recently did a stay with 3 rooms split stay between POFQ and Poly and both times we got 3 rooms next to each other.
I didn't asked for adjoining rooms when I booked the reservation, just that they be on the same floor.

Long backstory, but I've asked for help on resort/ room before. Grandparents had lots of restrictions, which led us to book a Poly studio. But, now, they will not be able to go on the trip with us. My family will still go. My family is 2 adults and 4 kids (2.5, 5, 7, 10).
However, I'm wondering if it would be better if we switch resorts to have more space, now that we won't have the second room to use at all. Will the Poly studio be too cramped? We were sort of planning on using the extra bathroom for the pack n play or have the 2.5 yr old share the twin murphy bed with a sibling. I anticipate, we will spend most all day in the parks, but don't really know exactly how everyone will fare, considering it is the first visit (and maybe only) for us. Not sure if it's worth it to switch at this point/ if anther resort would be better for us.

I've looked at availability for our dates, and our options are:
  • 2 connecting rooms at an All Star (would we get connecting for sure?)
  • 2 connecting rooms at POR or POFQ (I'm not a huge fan of the theming on this one, though 😬 )
  • 2 connecting rooms at CS
  • AoA family suite
  • 1 BR at OKW
  • 1 BR SSR
  • Stick with Poly studio
I'm leaning towards the OKW or SSR rooms bc of the fact that it isn't connecting rooms, plus has a washer/dryer! Any help, thoughts, or experiences at the above resorts with little kids would be helpful!
As someone who's stayed in a number of different studios around WDW, as a family of 4, the studios are all pretty tight, even poly with the extra water closet space. I'm a vote for AoA suite. You get the most space for your money and the theming will be on point for your kids ages. If baby, or anyone, wants a nap, shut the door. There's a ton more space for a pack and play and you have the skyliner access too. OKW and SSR one bedrooms are nice but I'm not a fan of the locations and theming for little ones. The SSR remodel is pretty but it's still got an apartment complex vibe and lackluster dining options that depending on where you stay, may be really far. OKW has better dining options but again, I'm not in love with the location or transportation options.

I can't speak to the connecting room and what is guaranteed and what's not but we'll likely be doing that on some future trips as our kids have gotten older and we need more space. Good luck!

Long backstory, but I've asked for help on resort/ room before. Grandparents had lots of restrictions, which led us to book a Poly studio. But, now, they will not be able to go on the trip with us. My family will still go. My family is 2 adults and 4 kids (2.5, 5, 7, 10).
However, I'm wondering if it would be better if we switch resorts to have more space, now that we won't have the second room to use at all. Will the Poly studio be too cramped? We were sort of planning on using the extra bathroom for the pack n play or have the 2.5 yr old share the twin murphy bed with a sibling. I anticipate, we will spend most all day in the parks, but don't really know exactly how everyone will fare, considering it is the first visit (and maybe only) for us. Not sure if it's worth it to switch at this point/ if anther resort would be better for us.

• 2 connecting rooms at POR or POFQ (I'm not a huge fan of the theming on this one, though 😬 )
  • AoA family suite
  • 1 BR at OKW
  • 1 BR SSR
  • Stick with Poly studio
I'm leaning towards the OKW or SSR rooms bc of the fact that it isn't connecting rooms, plus has a washer/dryer! Any help, thoughts, or experiences at the above resorts with little kids would be helpful!

Can I ask what you don't like about the theming at POR or POFQ?
I love both resorts but having recently stayed at POFQ, love that it's a smaller resort and everything was super close to our room. Rooms were spacious and the grounds are so pretty.

If you were ready to shell out for Poly, I think All Star would be a disappointment. Also with value resorts a TON more people and a lot more noise.

I really don't want to argue about this, but I do this all of the time
While you may book it that way, and the confirmation may even say “guaranteed” and 90% of the time it happens. But ultimately it comes down to what rooms are available when the party arrives. If there are no more connecting rooms, WDW is not going to bump another party to give connecting rooms. Their booking system does not block out specific rooms, which would be necessary to guarantee connecting. There are posters here who have experienced standing at the front desk and ultimately splitting up for at least the first night of their stay. The only way to guarantee is to book the type of accommodation that provides for everyone/all beds. Even then, WDW doesn’t guarantee exact accommodations other than “a” room somewhere.

While you may book it that way, and the confirmation may even say “guaranteed” and 90% of the time it happens. But ultimately it comes down to what rooms are available when the party arrives. If there are no more connecting rooms, WDW is not going to bump another party to give connecting rooms. Their booking system does not block out specific rooms, which would be necessary to guarantee connecting. There are posters here who have experienced standing at the front desk and ultimately splitting up for at least the first night of their stay. The only way to guarantee is to book the type of accommodation that provides for everyone/all beds. Even then, WDW doesn’t guarantee exact accommodations other than “a” room somewhere.
That stinks, and it absolutely shouldn't happen. And that's where a good TA comes in (with notes and names and times they spoke to CMs) to advocate for these folks while they go enjoy their day!

I've stayed at SSR and OKW, and while we enjoyed each, there's no way I'd do the internal bus thing with so many kids. It's just SUCH a hassle to have to do that when you want to go to the pool or get a QS meal, etc. I'd vote for a family suite at either AoA or ASMu. Two connecting rooms, two bathrooms, kitchenette-type area, kids are going to appreciate the theming so much more than the Poly. Save the Poly for a couple's trip!

Can I ask what you don't like about the theming at POR or POFQ?
I love both resorts but having recently stayed at POFQ, love that it's a smaller resort and everything was super close to our room. Rooms were spacious and the grounds are so pretty.

If you were ready to shell out for Poly, I think All Star would be a disappointment. Also with value resorts a TON more people and a lot more noise.
The Mardi Gras theme just isn’t my favorite. 😬 I know POFQ is a loved location bc of the smaller resort.

I've stayed at SSR and OKW, and while we enjoyed each, there's no way I'd do the internal bus thing with so many kids. It's just SUCH a hassle to have to do that when you want to go to the pool or get a QS meal, etc. I'd vote for a family suite at either AoA or ASMu. Two connecting rooms, two bathrooms, kitchenette-type area, kids are going to appreciate the theming so much more than the Poly. Save the Poly for a couple's trip!
I love your thoughts, but had to laugh bc in no way would my husband ever go do Disney just he and I. This trip is a big stretch for him, but he is glad to go simply for his 4 girls. I asked him if he would wear Disney shirts with all of us and he said “the best I can do is a hat.” 😂

Pack n play absolutely fits in the second bathroom. Even the weird metal Covid hotel cribs fit in there, and i think DVC is using both metal cribs and pack n plays now.

With a bunch of little kids. It’s hard to argue with transportation at poly. The boat to WDW from TTC runs every few minutes and it’s totally accessible. Plus monorail to Epcot. With all the stuff you are schlepping, this might be a big deal. If someone needs to take a couple back for a nap, you load them up on the boat sleeping in the stroller, instead of folding the stroller on the bus and so on.

If you think you can get all these humans to sleep in one room, poly sure is a nice one to do it in.

I've stayed at the Poly studios and it is a great location. There were 5 of us, 2 adults, 8, 11, & 12. Yes it was tight but not terrible. The 2 bathrooms helped tremendously and the kitchenette was nice. You can go on youtube and they have videos of the layout. If you think you would go back in the future with the grandparents and they would want to stay there, I would then change the hotel for this trip. I like trying a different hotel every time we go! We really liked SS and OKW. They were very roomy, and the laundry was so helpful. Yes, you wait for the bus but it was fine. Both have the boat to DS. I did feel OKW and SS were bigger resorts so seemed a lot less crowded. Honestly, they are all great choices.

• AoA family suite
  • 1 BR at OKW
  • 1 BR SSR
  • Stick with Poly studio
I'd stick with Poly...especially if you're not going to be hanging in the room that much. The extra shower/sink is great and should be able to hold the pack n play and the Poly is beautiful and so convenient for MK and Epcot, especially considering you have 4 kids and I would assume a stroller or 2. The play area at the pool my kids loved as well.

Very helpful, thank you!

We plan on flying and will NOT have a car. So, not sure if you’d still recommend OKW and SSR? I did see that they both look spread out with multiple bus stops. How is transportation within those?
No! It's way too spread out and transportation to every park with 4 kids and. stroller will be a PITA. Transportation will be soooo much more convenient at Poly.

How much time would you be spending in the actual room? We stayed at Poly in April and I loved it so much. We had been upgraded to club level, lol, but I did just love the amenities of the resort. The pool, the fact that you can watch the fireworks from the resort, and the quick boat ride to MK. I would just stay at Poly. But I am a family of 3, so the room situation was fine for us.

That stinks, and it absolutely shouldn't happen. And that's where a good TA comes in (with notes and names and times they spoke to CMs) to advocate for these folks while they go enjoy their day!
We had 7 people in our group(2 adults and 5 kids,oldest was 9)We were at Pop and had two rooms reserved. Our travel agent that we still use made the plans. Well our rooms were close but not connecting and I was upset. I called our agent, we went back to Epcot and I got a call while eating dinner. We were moving not only rooms but resorts. They gave us a 2 bedroom at OKW. A nice upgrade!!!
To answer the question I would squeeze into Poly as the kids are young. It's a so easy to watch fireworks from the beach and be able to easily return to your room. When your traveling with that many little ones I would go with what is most convenient and Poly wins!! Have a great trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter