Chance of Lightning & 25 Other Friends at Connor's First Birthday, Birthday Party!

I'm so glad I found your trip report. I'm currently expecting my first baby (due Jan 4th) and I'm already planning baby's first Disneyland trip (Dec 2013). Can't wait to read more about how yours went with a 1 year old. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm so glad I found your trip report. I'm currently expecting my first baby (due Jan 4th) and I'm already planning baby's first Disneyland trip (Dec 2013). Can't wait to read more about how yours went with a 1 year old. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

:welcome:

I am glad you found it too. Taking young ones to Disney is a very magical time for a family and will leave wonderful, long lasting memories for you and your DH. Congratulations on your pregnancy. Hopefully, your trip will be wonderful. The majority of ours was, and I would not trade these early Disney vacations with the kids for anything.

We go to Brennan's almost every visit. I'm glad you got the double chocolate souffle! That is one of DH's and my favorite desserts at the resort. For entrees, I usually get the BBQ shrimp and grits and DH usually gets the pasta dish. My mouth is actually watering right now thinking about the souffle. lol

I'm glad the kids were good during dinner. Last time we were at DLR, we went to Carthay Circle and Stitch started screaming just as our entrees arrived. Nothing like a cold $18 entree after walking your child around outside the restaurant. Oh well. I think he just didn't like that he couldn't sit at the table with us since he was too young for a high chair. Hopefully next time we go, it will be better.

Did Conner get to try a dole whip on your trip? We are planning to give Stitch a tiny taste in September. Something tells me he's going to love it.

We go to Brennan's almost every visit. I'm glad you got the double chocolate souffle! That is one of DH's and my favorite desserts at the resort. For entrees, I usually get the BBQ shrimp and grits and DH usually gets the pasta dish. My mouth is actually watering right now thinking about the souffle. lol

I'm glad the kids were good during dinner. Last time we were at DLR, we went to Carthay Circle and Stitch started screaming just as our entrees arrived. Nothing like a cold $18 entree after walking your child around outside the restaurant. Oh well. I think he just didn't like that he couldn't sit at the table with us since he was too young for a high chair. Hopefully next time we go, it will be better.

Did Conner get to try a dole whip on your trip? We are planning to give Stitch a tiny taste in September. Something tells me he's going to love it.

We had been to the Jazz Kitchen Express portion before, since we love the beignets. It was our first time dining in the actual restaurant though. I will certainly return there. Souffles are absolutely my favorite dessert, so I never miss a chance to order them. We never saw the dessert menu, but the server did mention it was not a traditional souffle. The receipt called it bread pudding. That said, it was the best bread pudding I've ever had. I've had better souffles though. My favorite item there was the potato, egg dish. Everything was so good that even though the souffle was my least favorite thing, I adored it.

Our experience at Carthay Circle with Connor was very similar. The food was excellent, but it was my least favorite sit down experience of the trip. Sorry to hear it was rough for you as well. We want to dine there again when we return to get it right this time. Hopefully, it goes better for you next time as well.

I loathe pineapples, so I never think of dole whips unless someone else in the group brings it up. Crap never mentioned getting a dole whip, so the thought never crossed my mind. Next trip, I should ask Crap to get one and share it with him. Connor would probably like it. He is a very adventurous eater thus far. Are you planning on doing a trip report? I would love to read about how Stitch reacts to his first taste of dole whip and other things.

Your meal sounded really yummy and the in room celebration looked awesome! It makes me wish we had planned one as well, we will one day for sure!
I don't think Connor looks like a girl! He is adorable and although small he is getting big! Logan has delicate features as well and was often mistaken for a girl. Ellie has only been called a boy once or twice, I usually have her pretty dolled up!

Your meal sounded really yummy and the in room celebration looked awesome! It makes me wish we had planned one as well, we will one day for sure!
I don't think Connor looks like a girl! He is adorable and although small he is getting big! Logan has delicate features as well and was often mistaken for a girl. Ellie has only been called a boy once or twice, I usually have her pretty dolled up!

It was an excellent meal. The in room celebration was better than I expected it would be. Both boys loved it.

Connor has been called a girl before too. It is rare that he is not dressed in masculine clothes, but this day was not gender specific. He looks like a boy to me as well, but I was not offended at her missed guess. I'll bet Ellie looks like a little princess in all of her clothes. She really is a beautiful little girl.

Dinner was excellent. There was no a bad moment the entire time we were there. I wish all dinners could be like that. A similar meal here is much more expensive, so we were fine with the cost.

Crap was still working at midnight, so he had not gone to bed yet. I was in bed but still awake. It takes me a long time to fall asleep, and it has been a long time since I was asleep before midnight.

Thanks, Bret.

Glad to hear that you had a great dinner. You are right that your meal price was very decent at Ralph's.

Was he tired the next day after working till midnight?

Glad to hear that you had a great dinner. You are right that your meal price was very decent at Ralph's.

No. I regularly get 4-6 hours of sleep each night. #SleepDeprivationFTW

Crap always stays up late and wakes up early. On vacation for some reason, he never lets us stay in the parks late. When we go back to the room, he never goes to sleep right away whether he is working or not. I think it is more of a tired, get off his feet type of thing. His feet were really hurting him the last night he rushed us out of the park, since he is flat-footed. He is sitting next to me playing on his iPad now after midnight telling me he needs to get up earlier than normal to go to the gym.

No. I regularly get 4-6 hours of sleep each night. #SleepDeprivationFTW

You really should sleep more in regular life and let us stay out later on vacation. Just saying.

We had been to the Jazz Kitchen Express portion before, since we love the beignets. It was our first time dining in the actual restaurant though. I will certainly return there. Souffles are absolutely my favorite dessert, so I never miss a chance to order them. We never saw the dessert menu, but the server did mention it was not a traditional souffle. The receipt called it bread pudding. That said, it was the best bread pudding I've ever had. I've had better souffles though. My favorite item there was the potato, egg dish. Everything was so good that even though the souffle was my least favorite thing, I adored it.

Our experience at Carthay Circle with Connor was very similar. The food was excellent, but it was my least favorite sit down experience of the trip. Sorry to hear it was rough for you as well. We want to dine there again when we return to get it right this time. Hopefully, it goes better for you next time as well.

I loathe pineapples, so I never think of dole whips unless someone else in the group brings it up. Crap never mentioned getting a dole whip, so the thought never crossed my mind. Next trip, I should ask Crap to get one and share it with him. Connor would probably like it. He is a very adventurous eater thus far. Are you planning on doing a trip report? I would love to read about how Stitch reacts to his first taste of dole whip and other things.

I can't wait to read about your Carthay dinner. I hope you tried the "biscuits." We used to go to Napa Rose a lot BS (before Stitch) and we always did the chef's counter. So we've met Chef Andrew Sutton many times. DH was so excited because he went to the kitchen to thank them for our meal (it did taste good even cold) and Chef Sutton said hello and remembered DH's name! Given that we haven't been to the Rose in maybe a year, that's pretty impressive (or my DH is just very memorable. lol) BTW, if you even get a chance sans little ones to try the Rose, I highly recommend it. The food is great and we have had so many celebrity sightings there. We've met Chef Robert Irvine and actor Josh Sussman (Glee) and seen Guy Fieri and his family and Levar Burton and Brent Spiner (Star Trek nerd squeal!)

I'm with you on the pineapples, but my DH loves them so he's the dole whip fan of the family. But since dole whips are non dairy, I want Stitch to try it. I was eating ice cream last week with Stitch in my lap and every time I brought the spoon to my mouth he opened his and then got a perturbed look on his face when I put it in my mouth and not his. lol

I always tell myself I'm going to do a trip report. This time with the 5k and half marathon, I'm planning to take a notebook and take notes so that I can finally do one. I also need to take more pictures. I'm so bad at doing that. I'm usually so absorbed with just being there that I forget to take pictures. Actually right now, DH and I are having a debate about whether or not to get an SLR camera to replace our point and shoot. What camera do you use?

BTW, I love yours and Crap's interactions on the boards. lol It cracks me up and reminds me of me and DH.

Thanks for starting this trip report! We are headed out there from Vegas for my son's 3rd birthday next week. It'll be our first visit to Cars Land and I'm interested to hear if Flo's had any birthday specials since we'll be there for lunch. I doubt it since it's a counter restaurant, but it couldn't hurt to ask. We also have reservations at Carthay, so I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience there too.

I'm now wishing we booked a stay at the Disneyland Hotel and a birthday package for my son. We stayed there this past January and loved it, but wanted to save some $$$ on this trip. I'm sure we'll make up for it with gifts from Cars Land.

Crap always stays up late and wakes up early. On vacation for some reason, he never lets us stay in the parks late. When we go back to the room, he never goes to sleep right away whether he is working or not. I think it is more of a tired, get off his feet type of thing. His feet were really hurting him the last night he rushed us out of the park, since he is flat-footed. He is sitting next to me playing on his iPad now after midnight telling me he needs to get up earlier than normal to go to the gym.

Very interesting to see that Crap like to stay up late and doesn't want to stay in the parks late. He can always enjoy sitting on a park bench or in a show building to rest up while you and your kids are enjoying the parks at night. He is almost like my DA where she doesn't want to stay in the park late at night and when I get back to the room she is reading a book or watching TV until we go to bed. Sometimes my feet starts to hurt when I was walking around the park all day, but that's why I take a break in the afternoon when the heat picks up as well as the crowds. He has his own ways and I respect that. It would be nice to stay at the parks at night since you can enjoy a lot then during the day.

I can't wait to read about your Carthay dinner. I hope you tried the "biscuits." We used to go to Napa Rose a lot BS (before Stitch) and we always did the chef's counter. So we've met Chef Andrew Sutton many times. DH was so excited because he went to the kitchen to thank them for our meal (it did taste good even cold) and Chef Sutton said hello and remembered DH's name! Given that we haven't been to the Rose in maybe a year, that's pretty impressive (or my DH is just very memorable. lol) BTW, if you even get a chance sans little ones to try the Rose, I highly recommend it. The food is great and we have had so many celebrity sightings there. We've met Chef Robert Irvine and actor Josh Sussman (Glee) and seen Guy Fieri and his family and Levar Burton and Brent Spiner (Star Trek nerd squeal!)

I'm with you on the pineapples, but my DH loves them so he's the dole whip fan of the family. But since dole whips are non dairy, I want Stitch to try it. I was eating ice cream last week with Stitch in my lap and every time I brought the spoon to my mouth he opened his and then got a perturbed look on his face when I put it in my mouth and not his. lol

I always tell myself I'm going to do a trip report. This time with the 5k and half marathon, I'm planning to take a notebook and take notes so that I can finally do one. I also need to take more pictures. I'm so bad at doing that. I'm usually so absorbed with just being there that I forget to take pictures. Actually right now, DH and I are having a debate about whether or not to get an SLR camera to replace our point and shoot. What camera do you use?

BTW, I love yours and Crap's interactions on the boards. lol It cracks me up and reminds me of me and DH.

I did not have any biscuits. Dinner at Napa Rose sounds awesome. One day I would love to eat there. Though Crap and I both went to Disneyland often as kids, neither of us ever had table service when we were growing up. We try to eat at one or two new table service restaurants each trip. My goal is to try them all some day. Napa Rose is near the top of my list, so it will probably be on our next trip or the one after that.

It is impressive that the chef remembered your husband's name. We would not likely do the Chef's Counter, but it is nice to hear that the experience there is awesome.

I think Crap had a dole whip two trips ago. When I asked him just now, he said what's a goal whip? He is obviously not paying attention to me. If I remember on our next trip, I will have Crap share one with Connor. Poor Stitch. Crap did not allow Connor to have chocolate until age one. Every time I ate chocolate, I got the same reaction from Connor.

I have yet to take notes on a trip. When there are a lack of pictures, my memory does get a little fuzzy. As long as there are pictures, I can usually remember everything. Unfortunately, I sometimes get wrapped up in the kids or the moment and forget to take or ask Crap to take pictures. At Disneyland, I remembered a little more often. It irritated Crap that I asked him to take pictures or give me the camera so often. He is used to barely taking any pictures. Our current camera is a Cannon 50D. I mostly use it on automatic, because I have not learned how to use it. If you do the report, I would love to read it.

I am glad you like the interaction between me and Crap, because that is the way we are off the boards too. He is not holding back at all. You and your husband sound cool to me. It is nice getting to know you here.

Thanks for starting this trip report! We are headed out there from Vegas for my son's 3rd birthday next week. It'll be our first visit to Cars Land and I'm interested to hear if Flo's had any birthday specials since we'll be there for lunch. I doubt it since it's a counter restaurant, but it couldn't hurt to ask. We also have reservations at Carthay, so I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience there too.

I'm now wishing we booked a stay at the Disneyland Hotel and a birthday package for my son. We stayed there this past January and loved it, but wanted to save some $$$ on this trip. I'm sure we'll make up for it with gifts from Cars Land.

I am glad you are here too fellow Las Vegan. Happy early birthday to your son. If he is tall for his age, I hope he gets to ride Radiator Springs Racers. We did eat at Flo's the day after his birthday. He was not wearing any of his birthday pins, so I am not sure what if anything they offer for birthdays. I would go in there with his pin proudly displayed and mention it to the person making your food. They may or may not have special treats. At the very least, the restaurants in Cars Land hand out free pins to collect. If he gets one of those, he may view it as an extra birthday gift.

Carthay Circle had lovely food but our experience was not the most pleasant. Connor has been difficult at quite a few meals lately. I hope you have a better time. Three is right at the cusp of no longer a baby but not quite a big boy. He could do really well there and have a dinner similar to how wonderful Ralph Brennan's was for us. Here's hoping. I really want to take Connor back for his third birthday, since the age at arrival is the age through the trip (so no tickets needed for one last trip). That and there is no way I can take him for his second birthday, since our vacation plans are set for next year.

I loved the Disneyland Hotel too but doubt I will stay there every trip. As nice as it was, the cost is just so much higher than its good neighbor counterparts. You can do so many other things with those vacation dollars. It is nice that we finally got to stay there at least once. If you are staying at a good neighbor hotel, baskets can still be delivered to the rooms if you want. You can also buy him lots of new things in Cars Land. He will probably love that.

Very interesting to see that Crap like to stay up late and doesn't want to stay in the parks late. He can always enjoy sitting on a park bench or in a show building to rest up while you and your kids are enjoying the parks at night. He is almost like my DA where she doesn't want to stay in the park late at night and when I get back to the room she is reading a book or watching TV until we go to bed. Sometimes my feet starts to hurt when I was walking around the park all day, but that's why I take a break in the afternoon when the heat picks up as well as the crowds. He has his own ways and I respect that. It would be nice to stay at the parks at night since you can enjoy a lot then during the day.

I could not agree with you more, Bret. He is just unwilling to go to the park early and stay there late regardless of what he does when we get back to the room. He always says choose an early entry or a late evening. Lately, I have been choosing early entries, because you can get a lot done in the morning while most people are still sleeping. On longer trips, I try to schedule a late entry into the park, so I can have a late night in the parks.

I am so behind! How did I miss that you had started this? Here now--going back to read! Getting lots of ideas for the 2014 DLR trip we have planned! :thumbsup2

Thanks for mentioning the free pins. I didn't know they were giving them away and my DS loves pin trading. He's pretty good at restaurants as long as we have an iPhone with us. I'm a big fan of using it at dinner no matter what anyone says. Connor is probably too young for that right now.

Unfortunately, my DS is too short for RSR. We'll be watching Dad ride it from the sidelines. Speaking of cars, I saw one driving around Vegas with a license plate that said "Club 33". That wasn't you, was it?

I am so behind! How did I miss that you had started this? Here now--going back to read! Getting lots of ideas for the 2014 DLR trip we have planned! :thumbsup2

Nice to see you over here. I hope you write about your 2014 trip, because I would love to read about it.

Thanks for mentioning the free pins. I didn't know they were giving them away and my DS loves pin trading. He's pretty good at restaurants as long as we have an iPhone with us. I'm a big fan of using it at dinner no matter what anyone says. Connor is probably too young for that right now.

Unfortunately, my DS is too short for RSR. We'll be watching Dad ride it from the sidelines. Speaking of cars, I saw one driving around Vegas with a license plate that said "Club 33". That wasn't you, was it?

Sorry. I should have called them buttons instead of pins. They are Cars Land versions of the free buttons guest services and the hotels hand out. Xander enjoyed receiving them and looked at it like an added bonus. We did not get all of them, because some places did not offer them and we never remembered to ask. If they do not offer them, I would ask for them. You could potentially collect them all if you get one from every place you buy something from (includes stores and restaurants in Cars Land). I let Xander play with my iPhone all the time, so I agree with you. Connor plays with it at times too, but he just likes to eat it or throw it.

We took Xander to WDW right after he turned three, and he was just shy of 40". I knew it was a long shot but was hoping for you. If you want to ride it too, they may give your husband a rider swap pass. He should probably go through the single rider line to save time. I wish we were members to Club 33. Whoever has those plates is probably a member. Thus far, we have not been inside the club yet. Crap's ex-boss offered to get us in. His girlfriend was the member, and they broke up before we were able to get to Disneyland. I did put our name on the waiting list when I thought the annual dues were $3600. They are now $10000. It is unlikely we will join even if our names are called.

Thanks again. I looked up the CL buttons and many of the posts said you have to answer a trivia question. This will be a fun way to spend our time while Dad rides RSR. I'm five months pregnant with twins so as much as I would love to ride (I'm the daredevil in the family), I'll wait until we come back next year for the Disney half marathon. I'm hoping to enter DS in the 200m and the twins in the diaper dash while I jog the half.

With DS starting school this fall and the 4+ hour drive, Club 33 wouldn't be worth it to us unless we lived in So Cal.

Thanks again. I looked up the CL buttons and many of the posts said you have to answer a trivia question. This will be a fun way to spend our time while Dad rides RSR. I'm five months pregnant with twins so as much as I would love to ride (I'm the daredevil in the family), I'll wait until we come back next year for the Disney half marathon. I'm hoping to enter DS in the 200m and the twins in the diaper dash while I jog the half.

With DS starting school this fall and the 4+ hour drive, Club 33 wouldn't be worth it to us unless we lived in So Cal.

You're welcome. We never had to answer any trivia questions. One lady did ask Xander if Connor was his little brother. That was an easy one. Answering questions for the buttons does sound like more fun. Congratulations on your pregnancy. That is awesome. You are doing a half marathon shortly after giving birth to not one but two kids. That is amazing!!! One day, if I ever get back into shape, I want to do a half and full marathon. The 200m and diaper dash sound like a lot of fun.

If we ever became Club 33 members, we would be driving down there as often as funds and breaks (for Crap and Xander) allowed. Xander started preschool just after he turned three as well. I loved his preschool so much that we are also sending him there for Kindergarten this year. Hopefully, we can still send him there for first grade and longer but we'll have to see what happens between then and now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter