Celebrating my big 4-0 with the Big Cheese - Update 11/13, page 19

Have you guys done SWW before? why am I thinking Ben is a big fan? Yesterday at lunch I asked each boy what they were looking forward to most in each park and SWW topped both lists for DHS (and silly me at first thought we should avoid it :sad2:) I'll be sad to only have 2 days at Epcot but it will be worth it for this trip!

You are correct in thinking Ben is a big fan! We hit the last day of SWW in 2009. Ben didn't do the autograph signing that you can do, because he didn't want to wait in line. (Plus he has been to 2 Celebrations...the Star Wars convention). He just enjoyed the sights and the special SWW gift shop. :rolleyes1 I think that is the store we spent the most money in.

Yay single digits! :yay:

Teppan Edo always looks really good and interesting to me. Definitely on my list of places to try someday!

Thanks for the warm welcome Katie! I live in Holland MI on the West side of the mitten. I grew up on the east side of the state and am familiar with Saginaw. We live about 45 minutes from Muskegon and have friends there. I am also a spartan!

The temptation to overplan is hard when we are such big fans and want the trips to be perfect! I think many of us have made that 'mini' mistake and found our overplanned trips to be a little bit of a bummer, so we live and learn!

Can't wait to hear about your 'special plans' at one of the restaurants! From one mom to another - you deserve it!!!:cool1:

I know Holland well! My brothers and I used to look longingly at that park along the highway with the little shops and rides. Of course after driving from Iowa, when we were that close, we never did stop!

After feeling so sad on our last trip that it hadn't come out as perfectly as I had planned it to be, I hope this one will be a little more laid back and allow us to follow our needs/wants. We can always come back if we miss something!

:dancer: Yeh, dancing with ya!

I think you will like Teppan Edo - I've always heard good things. I am trying Via Napoli in August with my DS12, pizza is a sure thing for us! Have a great Disney day!

That pepperoni pizza from Via Napoli looks SO good and the little donut holes too...it's on my someday list!

Teppan Edo is more of an 'experience' than just a meal, so I'm glad you got that.

Here's to single digits!
7.gif

I was gonna go with this:
6.gif

but I don't have the figure for it. We'd all be very sorry to see me in that get-up. :rotfl:

Ahh, I bet you'd be a great scarf dancer MeMom!

I've been hoping to get to Teppan Edo so I'm excited the boys want to try it! If it's not their favorite food, there will be plenty more dinners to make up for it :laughing:

:dance3::dance3::dance3: For single digit dancing!!

Tutto Italia is lovely but I bet the boys will have a blast at Teppan Edo! All the reports I've read talk about how much children have loved seeing the food cooked.

Also, my mum did characters in flight on our trip last spring and she loved it! She had to do it alone because I'm terrified of heights, but she said she could have stayed up there all day!

See, neither cornbread or corn dogs are all that popular up in my neck of the woods so they do seem a little more special to me I guess. I seriously have to drive clear across town to the special "fresh" market to buy cornbread! And unless you buy pogos at the grocery store, you would never find them anywhere! It doesn't make sense to me since they are just so stinkin' delicious! It's a good thing I don't live in the USA or I would weigh 34824732347 lbs.!:rolleyes1

They will definitely enjoy the entertainment value of the dinner which might be just the thing after waiting at a TS every day for a week!

Don't tell me you don't have cornbread mixes in the grocery store? :confused3 Krusteaz is my favorite!! I'll send you some if you need a fix :thumbsup2

You are correct in thinking Ben is a big fan! We hit the last day of SWW in 2009. Ben didn't do the autograph signing that you can do, because he didn't want to wait in line. (Plus he has been to 2 Celebrations...the Star Wars convention). He just enjoyed the sights and the special SWW gift shop. :rolleyes1 I think that is the store we spent the most money in.

We won't do any of the celebrity autographs, the boys really don't care about the actors but we have put a full day aside for waiting in lines for character meets! Patrick also wants to do the padawan mind challenge and Daniel really wants to battle Darth Maul at JTA. I suspect a good chunk of their gift cards will be spent on SW souvies!

Yay single digits! :yay:

Teppan Edo always looks really good and interesting to me. Definitely on my list of places to try someday!

I'll be sure to post pics on FB for ya!

I know Holland well! My brothers and I used to look longingly at that park along the highway with the little shops and rides. Of course after driving from Iowa, when we were that close, we never did stop!

Ah, good ol'Dutch Village. Well, no more childhood bad memories for you, trust me, your weren't really missing THAT much, and WDW seriously makes up for it!!!!:rotfl2: We just had 'Tulip Time', our big festival, and I am a 'Dutch Dancer', wear the dutch costume, wooden shoes, and along with 700 other middle aged woman that danced in high school, I kick up my feet for the tourists for a week and a half every spring. It has given me an appreciation for the cast members that perform in the same parade every night with a smile on their faces!

OMG Katie! I can't believe you have another trip on the horizon, and a 15 day one at that!:worship: How great you will be able to spend it with your boys.

I haven't read thru your whole PTR yet, but I will catch up soon! Have fun counting down these last few days...how exciting!!!:banana::banana::banana:

I love Teppan Edo. I think its a great change!

I'm excited! It maybe wouldn't be my first choice for food but I have really wanted to go for the experience (and the scallops look yummy if nothing else!)

Ah, good ol'Dutch Village. Well, no more childhood bad memories for you, trust me, your weren't really missing THAT much, and WDW seriously makes up for it!!!!:rotfl2: We just had 'Tulip Time', our big festival, and I am a 'Dutch Dancer', wear the dutch costume, wooden shoes, and along with 700 other middle aged woman that danced in high school, I kick up my feet for the tourists for a week and a half every spring. It has given me an appreciation for the cast members that perform in the same parade every night with a smile on their faces!

LOL! My brother who always felt the same way stopped one year with his family and said the same thing, it was a bit of a letdown after all the fun we had imagied we were missing out on. :laughing:

We have a town near us with a strong dutch heritage and they have a tulip festival every year. I've always meant to go but for some reason never seem to make it. I will one of these days!

OMG Katie! I can't believe you have another trip on the horizon, and a 15 day one at that!:worship: How great you will be able to spend it with your boys.

I haven't read thru your whole PTR yet, but I will catch up soon! Have fun counting down these last few days...how exciting!!!:banana::banana::banana:

Hey Trish, glad you found me!! Yep, 15 days is gonna be awesome (and hot and muggy and crowded I'm sure!)

I just need to point out that today my ticker no longer reads in months or even weeks...we are down to DAYS baby!!!! :cool1: :woohoo: :yay:

I have SO much left to do!!! :sad2: But really, I don't care because I have 2 1/2 days of school to get through and in 6 days from this very moment, I should be checking into POP!

Congratulations on Single Digit Days, Katie. I'm so jealous -- we still have 113 days until our trip. :sad2:

You'll get everything done that you need to get done before you know it.

:dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3:

Don't tell me you don't have cornbread mixes in the grocery store? :confused3 Krusteaz is my favorite!! I'll send you some if you need a fix :thumbsup2

:hug:Oh Katie you're a real pal! Thanks for the offer! I do usually pick up a mix when I head across the border (I keep American food stockpiles! Cherry coke, cornbread, toaster streudles, yoplait whipped yogurt and red velvet cake mix - plus a stop at Olive Garden! ;)) but we all know I don't have amazing cooking skills and I swear it has never come out right! Never! I don't know how I screw it up but it's always dry and crumbly....gross!:eek: I guess it's good that I can't have it all the time or it wouldn't feel like a treat anymore! Just promise you'll think of me when you eat it!:rotfl2:

:dance3::banana:Congratulations on less than a week to go!:banana::dance3:

:hug:Oh Katie you're a real pal! Thanks for the offer! I do usually pick up a mix when I head across the border (I keep American food stockpiles! Cherry coke, cornbread, toaster streudles, yoplait whipped yogurt and red velvet cake mix - plus a stop at Olive Garden! ;)) but we all know I don't have amazing cooking skills and I swear it has never come out right! Never! I don't know how I screw it up but it's always dry and crumbly....gross!:eek: I guess it's good that I can't have it all the time or it wouldn't feel like a treat anymore! Just promise you'll think of me when you eat it!:rotfl2:

You know you can add stuff to it, like a can of creamed corn, a can of Mexican corn, or some cheese and/or taco meat, maybe sausage.... and make it have different flavors and textures. Check out allrecipes.com for a million recipes along with reviews. You can do a lot with a package of cornbread mix.

Cherry Coke - I rarely drink sodas, but Cherry Coke is one of my favorite ones when I do.

Katie - get ready to count on ONE HAND how many days you have left! :dance3:
And then you have to have THREE HANDS to count how many days you're staying!
Man, you are livin' right! ::yes::

only 6 days - woo hoo!!!:cool1:

If I don't count the rest of today...I'm down to 4 :eek: NOT READY!!!!

:dance3::banana:Congratulations on less than a week to go!:banana::dance3:

Just let me know, I'll be happy to send a package of USA yumminess! However, I think I will not attempt to send the beloved Olive Garden, you'll just have to make a trip for yourself for that one!

You know you can add stuff to it, like a can of creamed corn, a can of Mexican corn, or some cheese and/or taco meat, maybe sausage.... and make it have different flavors and textures. Check out allrecipes.com for a million recipes along with reviews. You can do a lot with a package of cornbread mix.

One of our family's favorite has sour cream, creamed corn, kernel corn, corn muffin mix and a little sugar. SO yummy! Super easy and a big hit at potluck dinners! The only problem is we rarely get many leftovers to bring home :laughing:

Katie - get ready to count on ONE HAND how many days you have left! :dance3:
And then you have to have THREE HANDS to count how many days you're staying!
Man, you are livin' right! ::yes::

Oooh, I do love the way you think MeMom!!

One more day with kids tomorrow, a weekend to prepare and a final workday on Monday :cool1: SO excited :yay: I have managed to cross off a few things from my to-do list but still have a lot to do. I realize it's a lot but am not panicking...yet

I haven’t really done much sharing of our plans (other than the all important food issue of course!) So I thought I would jot down our must-do’s for each park….

Magic Kingdom – we have a lot of them so it’s a good thing we have 3 days scheduled!
  • Pretty much all of Fantasyland LOL! It’s the classics and we love them!
  • The 3 mountains, I’m very excited the boys think they are ready for these
  • Haunted Mansion, but only for Greg and I, the boys do NOT want to ride!
  • Pirates of the Caribbean and hopefully catch the pirate tutorial!
  • Buzz Lightyear
  • Monsters Laugh Floor
  • Honestly, there is very little we don’t want to do (Stitch is the only thing I refuse to do) so our days will have some strategy in terms of ride order and FP use but mostly we will focus on a couple lands each day and hit up a second time the ones that we want most

Epcot –
  • Soarin of course, and no visit to the land would be complete without seeing Living with the land!
  • The seas and Turtle Talk
  • Test Track
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Explore WS including several Kim Possible missions
  • Again, not much I wouldn’t do here but with only 2 days I’m sure we won’t get to it all

DHS –
  • TSMM of course!
  • Star Tours, I’m sure several times
  • Indiana Jones
  • Lights Motors Action
  • ToT and RnR for Greg and I only, another the boys have no interest in
  • Muppets
  • One Man’s Dream
  • Animation Academy

Animal Kingdom –
Pretty much I think we will try to hit everything here since we will spend most of 2 days. The only one we will likely skip is It’s tough to be a Bug, not sure the boys will enjoy that one!

Water Parks –
I’m still a bit fuzzy on all the different rides. None of us particularly enjoy slides that are enclosed but like just about any open slides and definitely love the lazy river!
I anticipate each of our visits will only be 2-3 hours so we will more or less wing it

DTD –
  • OK, I’m really not a big shopper :-)guilty: please don’t disown me!) so we will browse a bit through a few of the main shops – World of Disney, Once upon a Toy, Basin and Goofy’s
  • DisneyQuest, we will either love this and spend lots of time here or do once or twice to see what it’s all about and move on

I’m really working to find the balance between planning all the things I want us to be able to experience and allowing ourselves to go with the flow a bit and do what feels right at the time. Most everything will still be there when we come back again!

If you can, try to go to Toy Story Midway Mania on a Saturday or Sunday. That's when Ed (Cheena's dad) works. He's a nice guy.

How about Ridemakerz and Lego Store at DTD for the boys?

Doing a few things and having lots of pool and rest time will make for nice days for everyone. I love our long trips.

Those must-do's are definitely pretty awesome! Just kickin' back and relaxing and doing things at your own pace and not commando pace is nice!

I bet the boys would like Stitch though...At AK though I don't know if the boys would like Dinosaur - it scares me! Im surprised you think they wouldn't like Its Tough To Be A Bug! Do you think it's the pretend bug spray? Thats where I usually hear the most children crying.

I'm afraid I am no help with planning for waterparks. I've never been to a Disney one...I'm not a waterslide girl. Everything else sounds pretty awesome! I'm anxious to hear about DisneyQuest at DTD....and don't worry about not enjoying the shopping! I'm sure the rest of us do enough of it for you!

Cherry Coke - I rarely drink sodas, but Cherry Coke is one of my favorite ones when I do.

Just let me know, I'll be happy to send a package of USA yumminess! However, I think I will not attempt to send the beloved Olive Garden, you'll just have to make a trip for yourself for that one!

One of our family's favorite has sour cream, creamed corn, kernel corn, corn muffin mix and a little sugar. SO yummy! Super easy and a big hit at potluck dinners! The only problem is we rarely get many leftovers to bring home :laughing:

Thanks for the tips ladies. I don't know about putting actually large kernals of corn and I don't eat much that's spicey (like taco meat or sausage) but I will definitely look into the sour cream and sugar idea! That should help it be sweet and stay moist! Usually when I try it's extra-dry and crumbly and tastes like sour cardboard bits!:scared: Don't worry Katie, I'm only about an hour from Michigan so I can take care of the Olive Garden ;) I have tried to bring it back with me in a cooler but it doesn't travel well....I wouldn't mind that cornbread recipe that your family loves!:rolleyes1 Perhaps if you have time when you come back all nice and relaxed....lucky!:goodvibes

MeMom - there was one summer about 10 years ago when all of a sudden we got cherry coke and vanilla coke and then as quickly as we got it, they took it away....:( I don't understand why these companies feel that Americans deserve flavoured sodas but we Canadians have to go without ;) I'm just glad I live close enough that I can drive down and stock up on it! I watch the target and meijer flyers and buy multiple cases when it's on sale!

:thumbsup2 on the Must Do's, although I am surprised the kids don't want to do HM. Maybe they will change their minds.

Four days!! :yay: I bet you are going to have a fun weekend getting ready.

Congrats for getting Teppan Edo. I haven't eaten there but it's on my list and as MeMom said an experience in addition to dinner. :thumbsup2

Your must dos look great. So much fun you have ahead of you!!! :goodvibes

Hi, I'm here! Better late than never! :rotfl:

- Katie

Yay :yay: Glad you found me!!

If you can, try to go to Toy Story Midway Mania on a Saturday or Sunday. That's when Ed (Cheena's dad) works. He's a nice guy.

How about Ridemakerz and Lego Store at DTD for the boys?

Doing a few things and having lots of pool and rest time will make for nice days for everyone. I love our long trips.

Hmm..we do have a DHS day on a Sunday, I'll have to remember to look for Ed!

:sad2: How could I have forgotten the LEGO store!!! I'm certain we will spend much time and $$ there!

Those must-do's are definitely pretty awesome! Just kickin' back and relaxing and doing things at your own pace and not commando pace is nice!

I bet the boys would like Stitch though...At AK though I don't know if the boys would like Dinosaur - it scares me! Im surprised you think they wouldn't like Its Tough To Be A Bug! Do you think it's the pretend bug spray? Thats where I usually hear the most children crying.

I'm afraid I am no help with planning for waterparks. I've never been to a Disney one...I'm not a waterslide girl. Everything else sounds pretty awesome! I'm anxious to hear about DisneyQuest at DTD....and don't worry about not enjoying the shopping! I'm sure the rest of us do enough of it for you!

Thanks for the tips ladies. I don't know about putting actually large kernals of corn and I don't eat much that's spicey (like taco meat or sausage) but I will definitely look into the sour cream and sugar idea! That should help it be sweet and stay moist! Usually when I try it's extra-dry and crumbly and tastes like sour cardboard bits!:scared: Don't worry Katie, I'm only about an hour from Michigan so I can take care of the Olive Garden ;) I have tried to bring it back with me in a cooler but it doesn't travel well....I wouldn't mind that cornbread recipe that your family loves!:rolleyes1 Perhaps if you have time when you come back all nice and relaxed....lucky!:goodvibes

MeMom - there was one summer about 10 years ago when all of a sudden we got cherry coke and vanilla coke and then as quickly as we got it, they took it away....:( I don't understand why these companies feel that Americans deserve flavoured sodas but we Canadians have to go without ;) I'm just glad I live close enough that I can drive down and stock up on it! I watch the target and meijer flyers and buy multiple cases when it's on sale!

The boys did say they want to do Stitch but that will have to be a Dad thing cause I'm NOT doing it! I explained Dinosaur to them and they both said they want to do it :confused3 ITTBAB, I think the seat effects will freak them out more than anything

I'm not a huge pool person honestly but I do like a good waterslide and love a few laps on the lazy river! As long as they don't want to stay all day, I'll be good I think!

Here ya go!
Corn Casserole
1/2 c melted margarine
8 oz sour cream
2 beaten eggs
1 can cream style corn
1 can corn kernels
1/2 c sugar
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix (if you don't have Jiffy, it's a 8.5 oz box)

Mix ingredients one at a time in the order listed
Pour into greased 9x13 pan
bake 45-60 min at 350 degrees until the edges are browned

:thumbsup2 on the Must Do's, although I am surprised the kids don't want to do HM. Maybe they will change their minds.

someday I hope they'll change their minds!

Four days!! :yay: I bet you are going to have a fun weekend getting ready.

Congrats for getting Teppan Edo. I haven't eaten there but it's on my list and as MeMom said an experience in addition to dinner. :thumbsup2

Your must dos look great. So much fun you have ahead of you!!! :goodvibes

Can't wait can't wait :cheer2: I don't think Teppan Edo will be my favorite meal ever but I look forward to the experience :thumbsup2

Today brought the final day of school with kids :cool1: A work day on Monday and this year is a wrap :thumbsup2

On Tuesday, Daniel came home from school complaining of a tummy ache. he wound up with fluids coming from both ends :scared: (sorry if that's TMI!) He stayed home with Greg on Wednesday. This morning Greg said he wasn't feeling well and by lunch was complaining that he had no energy at all. Right after lunch, we got a call from the school nurse informing us Patrick had thrown up at school this morning. :sad2:

SO that's 3 out of 4 of us...send healthy thoughts that I don't get it next! Daniel is pretty much normal again today so if they time out the same, Greg and Patrick will both be OK by Monday.

My to-do list for the weekend is quite long, mostly things I need to do at home to be ready but tomorrow morning I have several errands: bank to get $$, post office to stop mail, YMCA to make deposit on Patrick's b-day party, mall to find new shorts for me and the boys and haircuts for all the males in the house.

Once that is done I will focus on cleaning the house and doing laundry before packing, which I hope to have done by Sunday night.

Hopefully our van which is in the shop waiting for a new part to come in will get done on Monday! We plan to have it loaded up before we head to bed Monday night

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter