• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Celebrating my big 4-0 with the Big Cheese - Update 11/13, page 19

More changes possibly in the works :rolleyes1 Someone on the June visitors thread mentioned the other day they were cancelling a Chef Mickey's ADR. It it on a day that would work out with our touring plan and the boys really want to eat there! We are working on a way to "transfer" the ressie.

If it works out, we will likely end up cancelling the 1900 Park Fare ADR which I'm a little bummed about but I want to do CM while the boys still want to, I would be OK with doing 1900 PF on a non-kids trip.

It also means shuffling around our other ADR's...Greg requested a meal at each of the monorail resorts so we will most likely look at cancelling the Wave and adding GFC somewhere.

With only 12 days to go, I guess I'm going to have to call the plan good enough soon!! :rotfl:

Of course the ADR’s get most of the attention when planning a vacation but let’s not forget when doing the dining plan that we also get QS meals and snacks! So here’s what I’m thinking so far…

POP food court – we will for sure eat here a couple times. We are arriving at 11:30 and will be hungry by the time we get there so we will for sure eat lunch at POP that day. I also figure there will be another day or 2 when we finish in the afternoon and just hang at POP for the evening. Any recommendations from those of you who have been there? I’m thinking the parmesan chicken and Rueben flatbread are a good start!

MK – Not sure how many QS we will have here. I definitely want to do either Cosmic Ray’s or Pecos Bills (is it just me or are these menus basically interchangeable?) I have been to both – who can resist free cheese sauce on your fries? – but I would like to try at least 1 new place, probably Columbia Harbor House.

Epcot – I have yet to eat a lunch/dinner at Sunshine Seasons and that’s on my list for sure! I also want to do 1 from one of the WS countries…I’m leaning toward Norway but we’ll see where we end up

DHS – Definitely Starring Rolls (Anyone know if you can you get the sushi on the dining plan?) and either Backlot Express or Studio Catering Co

AK – I’m thinking Pizzafari so I can finally try that sandwich everyone raves about and probably Restaurantosaurus since the kids would get a kick out of lunch in a bucket!

DTD – I hope to get here at least twice so I can do both Wolfgang Puck Express and Earl of Sandwich

Waterparks – this is one of my fears…that we will end up here more than 1 or 2 times. The menus are basically burgers and nuggets and I want more variety please!!

Let’s share…what are your favorite snacks around the world?

I like a lot of stuff from the Pop food court. The individual pizzas are pretty good. They also have some really good salads! Oh my, I can't wait to go back now :laughing:

Sunshine Seasons is on my list, too! I've never eaten there but I have heard nothing bad about it.

We ate at CHH when we did the KTTK tour. The tuna sandwich was really, really good! I can't remember exactly what everyone else got, but they enjoyed their meals, too :) I'm so excited for you!

I hope you're able to get the Chef Mickey reservation! So many yummy meals you have planned.

Let's see...favorite snacks. I love the Mickey waffle with powdered sugar in the MK. Can't beat the guacamole in La Cava. Popcorn and Mickey bars are pretty good too! :thumbsup2

Hope you get the Chef Mickey ADR that would be so much fun!! Especially since the boys really want to try it!! I'll be sending pixie dust your way!!!

I keep trying and trying to get into Kona's for an early dinner but apparently its not in the cards...I may have to try to walk up and see what happens!!!

POP food court – we will for sure eat here a couple times. We are arriving at 11:30 and will be hungry by the time we get there so we will for sure eat lunch at POP that day. I also figure there will be another day or 2 when we finish in the afternoon and just hang at POP for the evening. Any recommendations from those of you who have been there? I’m thinking the parmesan chicken and Rueben flatbread are a good start!
- I've never eaten here but the parmesan chicken always looks good and I desperately want to try the tie dyed cheesecake!

MK – Not sure how many QS we will have here. I definitely want to do either Cosmic Ray’s or Pecos Bills (is it just me or are these menus basically interchangeable?) I have been to both – who can resist free cheese sauce on your fries? – but I would like to try at least 1 new place, probably Columbia Harbor House.
- Cosmic Rays is wonderful! I love Sonny Eclipse and I bet your boys would too! Columbia Harbour House is good (try sitting upstairs!) and so is Pecos Bill's. My favourite spot for breakfast and/or snacks is definitely the Main Street Bakery! Try the breakfast croissant sandwich and the cookies and cinnamon rolls and....everything!:love: I also love the corn dog nuggets from Casey's

Epcot – I have yet to eat a lunch/dinner at Sunshine Seasons and that’s on my list for sure! I also want to do 1 from one of the WS countries…I’m leaning toward Norway but we’ll see where we end up [/COLOR] -
Sunshine Seasons is one of my favourites! They have cornbread and rice krispie squares! Really, you can't go wrong!

DHS – Definitely Starring Rolls (Anyone know if you can you get the sushi on the dining plan?) and either Backlot Express or Studio Catering Co
- I need to try Starring Rolls on my next trip too, everytime I've been the line has been out the door! I also really like Pizza Planet for CS. It always seems that I get a Mickey Bar as my snack at DHS!

AK – I’m thinking Pizzafari so I can finally try that sandwich everyone raves about and probably Restaurantosaurus since the kids would get a kick out of lunch in a bucket!
- Pizzafari is good and I will sometimes get corn dog nuggets for a quick lunch at the cart across from Yak & Yeti.

DTD – I hope to get here at least twice so I can do both Wolfgang Puck Express and Earl of Sandwich - I love WPE (the mac and cheese is very good!) and I've only had breakfast at EOS but it was delicious too! Goofy's Candy Company is always good for getting sweet snacks and also Ghiradelli for a sundae! Yummy!

One you didn't mention was Beaches and Cream to go - I always go there for an ice cream soda! :love:

I like a lot of stuff from the Pop food court. The individual pizzas are pretty good. They also have some really good salads! Oh my, I can't wait to go back now :laughing:

Sunshine Seasons is on my list, too! I've never eaten there but I have heard nothing bad about it.

We ate at CHH when we did the KTTK tour. The tuna sandwich was really, really good! I can't remember exactly what everyone else got, but they enjoyed their meals, too :) I'm so excited for you!

I've always heard good things about POP, Sunshine Seasons and CHH! Does that tuna sandwich have onion in it? I like tuna salad as long as it is without onion!

I'm late, but I'm here - and I hope to catch up today!!! :goodvibes

How in the world are you going to catch up now :rotfl2: Hope your solo trip is fantastic, sorry we missed you this time!

I hope you're able to get the Chef Mickey reservation! So many yummy meals you have planned.

Let's see...favorite snacks. I love the Mickey waffle with powdered sugar in the MK. Can't beat the guacamole in La Cava. Popcorn and Mickey bars are pretty good too! :thumbsup2

I'm not feeling real confident about CM, we'll see how it goes though.

do you know I have never had any of the snacks you listed :eek: Popcorn and Mickey bars are definitely on my list for this trip! I didn't know they served waffles in MK :confused3

Keeping my fingers crossed that you get your ADR at CM's:goodvibes

Favorite snack....chocolate covered strawberries:cool1:

hmmm, another one I haven't done. I'm not sure why though because I went to the dessert party last year and they had a huge tray of them to choose from!

Hope you get the Chef Mickey ADR that would be so much fun!! Especially since the boys really want to try it!! I'll be sending pixie dust your way!!!

I keep trying and trying to get into Kona's for an early dinner but apparently its not in the cards...I may have to try to walk up and see what happens!!!

Still got my fingers crossed for CM, the sticky point is that they have an ADR for 6 and another Diser also wants the ADR but she is going solo. I'm not sure if the person with the ADR releases it, that either of us will be able to snag it since the orginal is for 6 and Greg isn't interested in dining with a stranger!

- I've never eaten here but the parmesan chicken always looks good and I desperately want to try the tie dyed cheesecake!

- Cosmic Rays is wonderful! I love Sonny Eclipse and I bet your boys would too! Columbia Harbour House is good (try sitting upstairs!) and so is Pecos Bill's. My favourite spot for breakfast and/or snacks is definitely the Main Street Bakery! Try the breakfast croissant sandwich and the cookies and cinnamon rolls and....everything!:love: I also love the corn dog nuggets from Casey's

Epcot – I have yet to eat a lunch/dinner at Sunshine Seasons and that’s on my list for sure! I also want to do 1 from one of the WS countries…I’m leaning toward Norway but we’ll see where we end up [/COLOR] -
Sunshine Seasons is one of my favourites! They have cornbread and rice krispie squares! Really, you can't go wrong!

- I need to try Starring Rolls on my next trip too, everytime I've been the line has been out the door! I also really like Pizza Planet for CS. It always seems that I get a Mickey Bar as my snack at DHS!

- Pizzafari is good and I will sometimes get corn dog nuggets for a quick lunch at the cart across from Yak & Yeti.

DTD – I hope to get here at least twice so I can do both Wolfgang Puck Express and Earl of Sandwich - I love WPE (the mac and cheese is very good!) and I've only had breakfast at EOS but it was delicious too! Goofy's Candy Company is always good for getting sweet snacks and also Ghiradelli for a sundae! Yummy!

One you didn't mention was Beaches and Cream to go - I always go there for an ice cream soda! :love:

Tye-dye cheesecake is something I will definitely not be trying! I cannot eat anything that falsely colored, not sure why (can't even handle the thought of kool-aid, gatorade, popsicles, etc)

I figure there will be stops at the bakery for snacks along the way!

I love cornbread too! Part of the reason I am excited for WCC and HDD!!

Don't tell Brook but I haven't had corn dog nuggets anywhere in WDW. For some reason, they don't feel "special" to me :confused3

Goofy's will be another definite spot as a way to kill some snack credits :thumbsup2

We don't know for sure where we will go for the water sprite rental but I will lean toward BC/YC since we will just rent 1 and Greg will take turns going out with the boys. I figure Beaches and Cream will be a good way to kill some time :rolleyes1 I'm dying to try the no way Jose!!

The time is winding down!! Tomorrow we will be single digit dancing and have SO much left to do!

After enjoying our 3 day weekend, we have 4 school days remaining, none of which will be “normal” days. Tuesday I will only work ½ day because Patrick has his 4th grade graduation (they move to the intermediate school in 5th grade so he is almost out of elementary). Wednesday is always a shorter day. Thursday and Friday are semester test days, which is somewhat optional for my students. Next Monday, Greg and I have 1 final work day.

Since I don’t teach a regular class (I supervise kids working through online classes to earn credit for previously failed classes), the last week isn’t quite as crazy for me as it is for most teachers. I’ve already prepared to turn in grades because I don’t do them electronically – still haven’t figured out why that is! I also need to make sure files are in order for the kids attending summer school while we are gone but that won’t be too bad. I also have to do some extra room prep before I leave since they will be adding a second story onto the wing where my room is so I need to make sure everything is secure.

So what do we have left to prepare for the trip? The lists aren’t look too long but some of these tasks will take awhile…

This weekend:
Double check the packing list and make final shopping list
Make autograph cards for the boys
Start making t-shirts
Make invitations to Patrick’s birthday party that will be the weekend after we return
Get boys signed up for summer park and rec activities in July

Next weekend:
Clean the house and yard
make final preparations for being gone (stop mail, talk to neighbors, haircuts, etc)
Final shopping trip
Pack our luggage

So let’s talk plans…

I’m trying to not super plan this trip. I have our park days decided since we won’t have hoppers. For the most part, we are avoiding EMH’s in an attempt to go to the less crowded parks. We have 10 day tickets and immediately knew we would spend 3 days at MK and 2 days at each of the other parks. My original thought was for the other day to be spent at Epcot. THEN we decided to add Star Wars Weekend in the mix so DHS will be the other 3 day park.

Since we are staying 15 nights, we will mostly only do 2 park days in a row before taking a “day-off”. On those days we will likely find ourselves at the waterparks and DTD/Disney Quest. I also have a short list of “other” activities I wouldn’t mind doing:
Minigolf
Wander the boardwalk
Rent a water sprite for an hour (for the boys, I’m not really interested)
Campfire sing-along and movie at Ft. Wilderness
See YeeHaw Bob at Port Orleans
Characters in Flight (if I feel like the $$ is worth the experience)

If we don’t get to any of these, I won’t be heartbroken but hope to at least do 2 or 3 of them

YAY for single digit dancing and almost being done! :yay: My sister's last day of school AND finals was yesterday, only because she's a senior. My mom works in a daycare at the same school, but she and the rest of the school don't get out till near the end of June. :scared1:

I'm pretty sure the tuna sandwich from CHH doesn't have onions, but someone else could probably clarify. I don't think it does because my mom and/or my sister got it, and neither of them like onions but were okay with the sandwich. :)

Two park days and then an "off" day is awesome! I would love to wander the boardwalk, or go mini-golfing. We have some pretty good mini golf courses here, but Disney mini golf is so much more appealing!

Hi! Signing on for your TR! Erin from Michigan! I just booked Disney Cruise on the Fantasy in 2012 for my 40th. I was really torn between a 'World' trip and the cruise (thinking the cruise will be a 1x only type of trip, we will be back to the 'World' for sure). So, I went for it - pricey!!! - but I figure turning 40 is worth it! So I turn 39 in June and the cruise is Nov. of 2012 when the kids get a break from school, anyway, enough about me....

I am so excited for you, this comes at just the perfect time, I'm missing Disney! We sound a lot alike in our planning approach, I get it! The lists, the plans, staying organized, I love it! I have to admit I did overplan the last trip (oct. 2010, Poly) and I will not do that again. We had a good time, but I was a little stressed and had a hard time relaxing. Doing a mother - son trip with my DS 12 in August at CS for a week - can't wait.

A couple of thoughts on your dining. I think you should prioritize at least one of the ADR's (like 1900 park fair) that you really wanted - it's your birthday! Your ADR's look great! Nothing bad to say. We like Sci-Fi alot, of course Ohana, etc. With regards to counter service, I know this isn't the norm, but we had an 'ok' dinner at Sunshine Seasons, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. We always eat at Pizzafari - love it, always good. Cosmic Rays also pleases everyone and is always yummy. We always have a Dole Whip as a snack. Columbia Harbor House also has really good chicken in addition to the fish and chips.

Anyway, good luck getting through your week and the end of school, we get out June 3! Looking forward to your report, I hope you have an amazing, magical, vacation!!! God Bless!:goodvibes

Erin

Your plans sound great! I think the boys will love SWW, good choice making DHS a 3 day park.

YAY for single digit dancing and almost being done! :yay: My sister's last day of school AND finals was yesterday, only because she's a senior. My mom works in a daycare at the same school, but she and the rest of the school don't get out till near the end of June. :scared1:

I'm pretty sure the tuna sandwich from CHH doesn't have onions, but someone else could probably clarify. I don't think it does because my mom and/or my sister got it, and neither of them like onions but were okay with the sandwich. :)

Two park days and then an "off" day is awesome! I would love to wander the boardwalk, or go mini-golfing. We have some pretty good mini golf courses here, but Disney mini golf is so much more appealing!

Congrats to Kaitlyn on her graduation!!

Thanks for the info about the tuna...that's what I was hoping for :thumbsup2

I think the 2 days/1 day plan will make us feel like we are more on vacation than we would with go, go, go!

Your plans look great! I love your 2 park days in a row, then a day off.

I'm thrilled with the plan! After our 2008 trip, I thought about my "ideal" plan and this comes pretty close! the only difference I would wish is to do a few more signature restaurants but this is good too :goodvibes

Hi! Signing on for your TR! Erin from Michigan! I just booked Disney Cruise on the Fantasy in 2012 for my 40th. I was really torn between a 'World' trip and the cruise (thinking the cruise will be a 1x only type of trip, we will be back to the 'World' for sure). So, I went for it - pricey!!! - but I figure turning 40 is worth it! So I turn 39 in June and the cruise is Nov. of 2012 when the kids get a break from school, anyway, enough about me....

I am so excited for you, this comes at just the perfect time, I'm missing Disney! We sound a lot alike in our planning approach, I get it! The lists, the plans, staying organized, I love it! I have to admit I did overplan the last trip (oct. 2010, Poly) and I will not do that again. We had a good time, but I was a little stressed and had a hard time relaxing. Doing a mother - son trip with my DS 12 in August at CS for a week - can't wait.

A couple of thoughts on your dining. I think you should prioritize at least one of the ADR's (like 1900 park fair) that you really wanted - it's your birthday! Your ADR's look great! Nothing bad to say. We like Sci-Fi alot, of course Ohana, etc. With regards to counter service, I know this isn't the norm, but we had an 'ok' dinner at Sunshine Seasons, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. We always eat at Pizzafari - love it, always good. Cosmic Rays also pleases everyone and is always yummy. We always have a Dole Whip as a snack. Columbia Harbor House also has really good chicken in addition to the fish and chips.

Anyway, good luck getting through your week and the end of school, we get out June 3! Looking forward to your report, I hope you have an amazing, magical, vacation!!! God Bless!:goodvibes

Erin

:welcome: Erin!! Where in Michigan do you live? My Dad is from the Saginaw area and my Mom is from Muskegon (still have quite a few relatives in that area) They met at MSU and we have quite a few Spartan grads in our family!

A cruise for your 40th sounds awesome! My hubby doesn't see the appeal of a cruise so we'll see if we ever do one

I must confess that part of the reason I made that list in my latest update is because I needed to put it in writing or I'm likely to forget some things :rotfl: I am trying to now overplan because I did that for our last trip and ended up feeling some disappointment that the plan didn't hold up so this time will be a bit more flexible.

I have definitely included my most important ADR's into this trip! Part of the reason both WCC and Ohana are early in the trip is so we are less likely to skip because we are too tired! I MAY have planned a little something extra for myself at one of them too :rolleyes1

Your plans sound great! I think the boys will love SWW, good choice making DHS a 3 day park.

Have you guys done SWW before? why am I thinking Ben is a big fan? Yesterday at lunch I asked each boy what they were looking forward to most in each park and SWW topped both lists for DHS (and silly me at first thought we should avoid it :sad2:) I'll be sad to only have 2 days at Epcot but it will be worth it for this trip!

Kate, plans are looking great! We love mini-golf at Disney. :)

Which mini-golf do you typically choose? I don't really know much about each course, I may have some more research to do!

Anyone up for some single digit dancing?

:cool1: :banana:

:dance3:

:dancer:

Yesterday brought a change to our ADR's (no, I didn't snag CM yet, not feeling overly confident about that one right now!) We went out for lunch at our local chinese buffet and Daniel was attempting to use chopsticks. I was telling him that there is a place in Disney where they rig chopsticks for the kids to make them easier to use. I was then telling Patrick about it because he has seen the commercials for the teppanyaki place in Des Moines. They both said they would be willing to try it so we have cancelled Tutto Italia for Teppan Edo!! I'm excited about this change :goodvibes

Thanks for the warm welcome Katie! I live in Holland MI on the West side of the mitten. I grew up on the east side of the state and am familiar with Saginaw. We live about 45 minutes from Muskegon and have friends there. I am also a spartan!

The temptation to overplan is hard when we are such big fans and want the trips to be perfect! I think many of us have made that 'mini' mistake and found our overplanned trips to be a little bit of a bummer, so we live and learn!

Can't wait to hear about your 'special plans' at one of the restaurants! From one mom to another - you deserve it!!!:cool1:

:dancer: Yeh, dancing with ya!

I think you will like Teppan Edo - I've always heard good things. I am trying Via Napoli in August with my DS12, pizza is a sure thing for us! Have a great Disney day!

Teppan Edo is more of an 'experience' than just a meal, so I'm glad you got that.

Here's to single digits!
7.gif

I was gonna go with this:
6.gif

but I don't have the figure for it. We'd all be very sorry to see me in that get-up. :rotfl:

:dance3::dance3::dance3: For single digit dancing!!

Tutto Italia is lovely but I bet the boys will have a blast at Teppan Edo! All the reports I've read talk about how much children have loved seeing the food cooked.

Also, my mum did characters in flight on our trip last spring and she loved it! She had to do it alone because I'm terrified of heights, but she said she could have stayed up there all day!

I love cornbread too! Part of the reason I am excited for WCC and HDD!!

Don't tell Brook but I haven't had corn dog nuggets anywhere in WDW. For some reason, they don't feel "special" to me :confused3

See, neither cornbread or corn dogs are all that popular up in my neck of the woods so they do seem a little more special to me I guess. I seriously have to drive clear across town to the special "fresh" market to buy cornbread! And unless you buy pogos at the grocery store, you would never find them anywhere! It doesn't make sense to me since they are just so stinkin' delicious! It's a good thing I don't live in the USA or I would weigh 34824732347 lbs.!:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter