Cedar Point - has the Magic moved North?

I agree with the "three seasons" comment. We never go for Halloweekends because the crowds are simply insane. My teenager attempted to go yesterday, and rode one ride and came home. Couldn't even use his Season Pass meal plan. I do agree staffing has a lot to do with it, both early and late in the season.

We didn't experience ANY ride closures all summer, except for days with high winds or rain. I did hear that about this weekend though - I wonder what that's about?

Most seasonal parks see their largest crowds in October for their Halloween events. DH and I were at Kings Dominion the weekend of October 7-9. Friday evening was reasonable. Saturday from noon opening until about 3pm was OK, but then hordes of people starting invading. Queues for some rides were spilling out of the fenced areas into the midways.

Fortunately we sprung for season long Fast Lane Plus, but for some rides even those lines got long. By dusk the place became unmanageable so we left, and decided not to return on Sunday.

Oh, and that free locker system at Twisted Timbers suffered a breakdown on Saturday afternoon. I’m not sure what the problem was, but there was a long line both to use the lockers and to retrieve your stuff after the ride.

Even at good times that locker system is a hassle so we pay to use the bigger lockers next to the gift shop nearby.

We took our 14 and 11 year old kids with a group in August right before school started. It was midweek and we stayed in campground/cabins. One day at CP and one day waterpark. Our kids had literally The Best Time Ever. The lines were minimal (I think Ohio was back in school) the weather still nice and warm. Obviously WDW wins in the overall ambience and will always have a special place in our nostalgic hearts, but CP has so much going for it. DH and I hadn't been there since before kids and we were pleasantly surprised. We are about 2 hours away and we will definitely be getting passes next year.

Its been so much fun reading everyone's comments on this thread. As the OP, I was so excited with such a positive experience this spring (and had been so sad with my recent Disney pay more for less experiences and ride closures), that I just wanted to share an option that might work for some folks. No, Cedar Point is NOT Disney, but for some families, it might be a solution or option for now. Yes, HalloWeekend crowds are crazy, but during the summer prime season, and at least 20 trips this year, I did see some really great things to celebrate.

Reasonable cost (especially for Passholders), perks, All Season Dining, decent food quality, THE BEACH!!!, improvement in employee quality, the ease of walking from the campground/resort, gorgeous landscaping, their version of the DAS, and lots of unique rides. I agree, the immersion piece is a Disney specialty, but there are spots of Cedar Point that have improved in that regard (Frontier Town area for example; as well as the beachfront). For everyone who gave Cedar Point a try this summer, and who had a great experience; I'm so happy for you! May we all experience joy where we can find it - and hopefully at Disney whenever that is possible for you!

https://www.insider.com/best-theme-parks-us-cedar-point-ohio-disney-world-2022-12

I know many here won't agree cause it's they are 2 different types of parks. IMO the reason Cedar Point doesn't get the love like Disney is that most Disney people don't like or can't do a lot of the rides at parks like Cedar Point
I agree, Cedar Point is a totally different ball game. It is for people looking for extreme rides, which can make it hard for families to enjoy. Their rides are also not plus size friendly. The atmosphere is also not as family friendly as Disney. You have large groups of teens by themselves and the language can be a lot less family friendly.
The nice part is that if your not riding the big coasters, lines are minimal most days.

If you want a guaranteeeeeeeed cheap awesome day, Holiday World. It’s like a minor-league Disney and is so freaking goofy (plus great rides and water park) that I just smile all day. Throw in cheap hotels, Mammoth Caverns, etc…it’s a great lil trip.

Cedar Point owns Knotts Berry Farm and I think it's a cute theme park, I actually think you get more bang for your buck in a lot of areas compared to Disneyland. The food is really good, and it's not as busy as Disneyland is and it's not as commercialized which I like. I try to go once a month when it's not the holiday times (I go a little more during Halloween and Christmas.. oh and when it's the Boysenberry Festival) I don't think I have visited any other cedar point park but I'd be willing to visit other parks if I am in the area.

The weather in Northern Ohio is such that Cedar Point is mostly a Memorial day to Labor Day type of place. Basically the summer when weather is consistently warm. Many of the seasonal workers are high school/college age students who also happen to be home from school during that time. The park attracts those taking a day trip or perhaps staying overnight from the surrounding states of Michigan/Indiana for a lot less money then a multi-day Disney trip.

Many of the regional amusement parks also focus on more of the thrill rides which isn't really something Disney has.

The weather in Northern Ohio is such that Cedar Point is mostly a Memorial day to Labor Day type of place. Basically the summer when weather is consistently warm. Many of the seasonal workers are high school/college age students who also happen to be home from school during that time. The park attracts those taking a day trip or perhaps staying overnight from the surrounding states of Michigan/Indiana for a lot less money then a multi-day Disney trip.

Many of the regional amusement parks also focus on more of the thrill rides which isn't really something Disney has.
While that's true, there is still many who still won't give those parks a chance. Disney is the only the park they visit. Even going to Orlando for that matter, look at how many only do Disney and never visit the many parks that are there.

I think most of these comments are spot-on - Disney and CP cannot be compared. They are (or were) the world-leaders in what they do - theme park (DW) and old-school amusement park (CP).

I say "were" as both have taken staffing and operational hits (as have almost every business, anywhere) the past few years. CP relies heavily on their foreign worker program which was shut down by the pandemic (same with Disney), and the local student base that makes up the bulk of employees have more and better paying options for work than ever.

And in some ways they are victims of their own success. 20 years ago they were really the first seasonal park to host a big Halloween event, and for the first few years this was simply one of the best times you could ever have in a park. Crowds were light to moderate (Friday nights you could basically walk on everything), scare zones and houses were amazing (and often pretty frightening), and if you could handle the occasional chilly day you were guaranteed a great time (we once rode Magnum while it was snowing). But, as noted above, Saturdays in October see veritable oceans of people, and the park doesn't seem to have the resources to handle that effectively.

Man, 20 years ago CP's operations were a sight to behold. Their "throughput" on rides was astonishing - by far the best in the world - with a "first day, every day" commitment to ride availability. Combine that with their safety record - over 150-years of operations with very few ride-related injuries, and no fatalities - top-notch customer service, and always being on the cutting edge of roller coaster thrills, you can see why Cedar Point was voted "World's Best Amusement Park" year after year after year. Plus - they DO have a bubble. We always stay on site, and once you drive across the causeway and are on the peninsula the rest of the world disappears. We've stayed up to a week at a time and never once were bored.

Now, I'm not saying they're still not great - they are. Just, like everyone else, taken a few hits. But for anyone serious about roller coasters, CP is still Mecca. The Orlando parks have stepped up their game recently in this regard - Velocicoaster, Guardians, EE, Hagrid's, SDD, plus a couple at SeaWorld are all fantastic. But CP has so many amazing and historic rides, many of which broke world-records when built. Maverick and Millennium Force regularly appear on top ten lists of the best steel coasters, with several other (Gatekeeper, Raptor, Valravn) world-class, plus the aforementioned Magnum, which if I had to pick, would be what I'd choose if I could only ride one more coaster ever again. I know - it's not beloved, and certainly not for the faint of heart.

And then, of course, there's Steel Vengeance. Those that have experienced it know. I have ridden about 250-some odd coasters in my life, and frankly that is so far off in a category of its own there's no point in even discussing where it would rank on my list. There's a few videos on YouTube of hardcore riders, who travel all over the world rating coasters, getting off their first time on SV gasping for air and trying to collect their thoughts.

Man, 20 years ago CP's operations were a sight to behold. Their "throughput" on rides was astonishing - by far the best in the world - with a "first day, every day" commitment to ride availability.

I remember those days. Even as a kid, I recall watching the ride crews in action, in awe at how fast they moved people through rides. Perhaps it was because there was a huge drop off in speed when I visited other parks.

Plus - they DO have a bubble. We always stay on site, and once you drive across the causeway and are on the peninsula the rest of the world disappears. We've stayed up to a week at a time and never once were bored.

yeah, these comments about "day trippers" or "overnight stays from people nearby" are true to an extent, but Cedar Point has a national draw. We're about a four hour drive away and spent 4 nights there this summer at Breakers Hotel on the beach. Had a great time. And while there and in the park, I couldn't believe the number of people we ran into from out of state. Maybe it's because having it in my own backyard most of my life, it's easy to forget the draw it has. New Orleans. Philadelphia. Washington DC. We met a family from Boston that were on day 7 and loving every minute of it.

I remember those days. Even as a kid, I recall watching the ride crews in action, in awe at how fast they moved people through rides. Perhaps it was because there was a huge drop off in speed when I visited other parks.

yeah, these comments about "day trippers" or "overnight stays from people nearby" are true to an extent, but Cedar Point has a national draw. We're about a four hour drive away and spent 4 nights there this summer at Breakers Hotel on the beach. Had a great time. And while there and in the park, I couldn't believe the number of people we ran into from out of state. Maybe it's because having it in my own backyard most of my life, it's easy to forget the draw it has. New Orleans. Philadelphia. Washington DC. We met a family from Boston that were on day 7 and loving every minute of it.
Yes, for coaster fanatics, Cedar Point is nirvana. It even has international draw, and not just Canadian. Plenty of European fans who post on other sites have visited or hope to someday.

And then, of course, there's Steel Vengeance. Those that have experienced it know. I have ridden about 250-some odd coasters in my life, and frankly that is so far off in a category of its own there's no point in even discussing where it would rank on my list. There's a few videos on YouTube of hardcore riders, who travel all over the world rating coasters, getting off their first time on SV gasping for air and trying to collect their thoughts.
Agree completely. When SV stopped and we were waiting to go back into the station my DH and I were like "what did we just ride?!" Nothing like it!

Agree completely. When SV stopped and we were waiting to go back into the station my DH and I were like "what did we just ride?!" Nothing like it!
On my first ride I was with my then 11-year-old DD. Apparently - as I don't remember doing this - she told me I was yelling the whole time, along the lines of "What is happening? What the heck* (maybe not heck exactly) is going on?".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter