CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've said from the beginning that people in your area generally don't wear masks. Nothing would change for them regardless. Situations like that are what I meant, when I said for those people using the need to still wear a mask is disingenuous.
Not just masks. The ability to attend concerts, have town 4th of July events, all sorts of other things.

The vaccine needs to be portrayed very clearly as the key to getting back to normal. And nobody wants to even hint that we can get back to normal.
I agree with you here but I think the hesitance is because it's like the genie in the bottle and we've already had enough of that (meaning things got out and oopsie kind of thing). If you say it's how we get back to normal...what happens if that normal is abruptly taken away? What happens if people assume normal means 2019 without understanding that there are still risks out there. I def. agree messaging=awful but I can understand how they are concerned if they say normal too much people will not remember normal doesn't mean covid has ceased to exist. I think some people may very well think that if they heard it. Learning to live with this virus is not at least to me the same as forgetting it existed and we tend to have really short memories.

I agree with you here but I think the hesitance is because it's like the genie in the bottle and we've already had enough of that (meaning things got out and oopsie kind of thing). If you say it's how we get back to normal...what happens if that normal is abruptly taken away? What happens if people assume normal means 2019 without understanding that there are still risks out there. I def. agree messaging=awful but I can understand how they are concerned if they say normal too much people will not remember normal doesn't mean covid has ceased to exist. I think some people may very well think that if they heard it. Learning to live with this virus is not at least to me the same as forgetting it existed and we tend to have really short memories.
One thing is sure. We'll never even know if normal is possible again if too many people choose not to be vaccinated. I think most people realize down deep that there's a chance something could trip up the return to "normal". But everyone needs to take a leap of faith at some point if they want to see what's really on the other side of this thing.

Last edited:
One thing is sure. We'll never even know if normal is possible again if too many people choose not to be vaccinated. I think most people realize down deep that there's a chance something could trip up the return to "normal". But everyone needs to take a leap of faith of some point if they want to see what's really on the other side of this thing.
Agree with you there :)

Not just masks. The ability to attend concerts, have town 4th of July events, all sorts of other things.
I don't know a lot about concerts, because we don't go to them. It appears they're not allowed indoors now, but there are states allowing outdoor concerts. Many states are having fairs & other celebrations. That really has nothing to do with my comments though. I was disputing the fact that having to wear a mask & socially distance after vaccination, was preventing people from getting the vaccine. I simply don't believe that. I think it's a convenient excuse, when other excuses were being disputed by friends & family.

There's no doubt more people would have been willing to wear masks, if they had stressed the benefit to the wearer in the beginning rather than trying to convince people to do the right thing for others. To me, that's the major mistake they made. Too many people only care about themself. In my real life, the people who say there's no need to get the vaccine, if you still have to wear a mask, both resisted wearing a mask from the beginning & didn't plan to get the vaccine in the first place. I've noticed the same trend on the social media sites I read. Their reasoning for not getting the vaccine has changed from conspiracy theories that many people have called them out on to saying there's no point, if they still have to wear a mask.

ETA: As far as the people on the fence, the biggest motivator I've seen is peer pressure. I know a few people who believed the conspiracy theories & refused to get the vaccine. When relatives told them they didn't feel comfortable with them traveling to visit them, if they weren't fully vaccinated, they changed their mind.

And I think we're in very real danger of doing the same thing with the vaccine. We should be screaming from the rooftops that the vaccine is how we get back to normal. My area is trying to figure out how to get 16 & 17yos vaccinated. Start telling people that vaccination is how we save spring sport seasons and they (and their parents) will be lining up. Most varsity athletes are age-eligible and worrying about losing their junior or senior seasons. But "pause" (shut down) sports or continue to treat restrictions as independent of vaccination rates and that incentive is gone. Things like that are going to reach a lot more people than simply trying to appeal to some vague sense of civic responsibility or general desire to be part of the solution.

Right now, I think the best thing our governor could do is lay out specific metrics for relaxing the remaining restrictions, not in terms of case counts but in terms of vaccination rates. Put it bluntly - "We need half of adults vaccinated to let bars reopen", "We need 70% vaccinated to let concerts and festivals resume", etc. and watch how fast people get on board with getting the jab to get whatever it is they're still missing about this diminished existence back.

And I think we're in very real danger of doing the same thing with the vaccine. We should be screaming from the rooftops that the vaccine is how we get back to normal. My area is trying to figure out how to get 16 & 17yos vaccinated. Start telling people that vaccination is how we save spring sport seasons and they (and their parents) will be lining up. Most varsity athletes are age-eligible and worrying about losing their junior or senior seasons. But "pause" (shut down) sports or continue to treat restrictions as independent of vaccination rates and that incentive is gone. Things like that are going to reach a lot more people than simply trying to appeal to some vague sense of civic responsibility or general desire to be part of the solution.

Right now, I think the best thing our governor could do is lay out specific metrics for relaxing the remaining restrictions, not in terms of case counts but in terms of vaccination rates. Put it bluntly - "We need half of adults vaccinated to let bars reopen", "We need 70% vaccinated to let concerts and festivals resume", etc. and watch how fast people get on board with getting the jab to get whatever it is they're still missing about this diminished existence back.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

You've said from the beginning that people in your area generally don't wear masks. Nothing would change for them regardless. Situations like that are what I meant, when I said for those people using the need to still wear a mask is disingenuous.

Its not just people in my area, its people in other areas as well. And many of them have said its not a a big no, but more they would rather wait and see what happens and in no hurry to get one if nothing really is gonna change.

Its not just people in my area, its people in other areas as well. And many of them have said its not a a big no, but more they would rather wait and see what happens and in no hurry to get one if nothing really is gonna change.
That hasn't been my experience. I know people who say they may wait to see what happens, but the people using the "still have to wear a mask" excuse were already anti-mask & have made other excuses for not getting the vaccine prior to that excuse.

Last edited:
Well things do change but let's be honest with ourselves if you're already hanging around your family and friends not social distancing or wearing a mask and you're wary about the vaccine then being vaccinated won't change that. You can say "nothing changes" and still be correct at least with respects to masks and social distancing with friends and family. Not a criticism there just something I think most who are looking at it from masks or social distancing probably are doing.

It should be made clearer though to the public why social distancing and mask wearing when out in public is still important right now because of unvaccinated people in too great of numbers. Unfortunately that hasn't been said in a way that both gives hope and makes people understand so usually people just brush it aside that nothing changes and give up on wanting the vaccine assuming if they wait it out they will be fine. Waiting it out is not what we can do but we also can't just give a pass to people to not wear a mask in public from a public health advice standpoint at this exact moment. It's a terrible place to be in right now trying to balance that all out with public health advice. Trust in public health advice has unfortunately eroded to a point where I'm not sure we can steer that ship around.

There's no point in shutting down. In the parts of the state where people would actually listen, most things are already closed or extremely limited and masking is well enforced. And in the rest of the state, local authorities have made a show of vowing non-enforcement of any statewide order, so nothing will change. I think that's why she's taking the approach she is, not because she believes it will be adequate or effective but because she's realized the limits of her ability to order anything and isn't willing to go out on that limb for as little benefit as it is likely to have. It is very political so I can't say too much about it here, but another mandated shutdown would likely be the tipping point against her in some important matters the state legislature has on the table.

For better or worse, I think we're where FL was at over the summer - we're just going to ride this wave and hope vaccination and improving weather/the shift to more outdoor living help bring the numbers down without new rules.

My aunt lives in Michigan and is one that refuses to wear a mask, won't get the vaccine and will not follow and rule that the governor has placed. She was part of a group that had a petition going around to get her out of office. I have snoozed her several times of Facebook. It is just too over the top.

It is amazing how little people think about the proximity to Canada as a factor (and Ontario's proximity to us as a factor in their case trends). I just read an article in one of my news apps that was from the LA Times, talking about MI vs. CA trends, and it mentioned and then dismissed as probably not being much of a factor because "the border is closed". Yes, the border is closed... but only to non-essential travel. MDOT figures indicate a 35-40% reduction in volume at our major crossings. The other 60-65% is essential and still flowing, which is a lot of opportunity for the virus to hitch a ride. But the economies of neighbor cities like Detroit & Windsor are so interconnected that there's no way to actually close the border. My kids have had Canadian classmates, my mom had Canadian coworkers when she worked in Detroit, my husband's plant sends parts to assembly facilities in Canada, etc. So even with the border ostensibly closed, our covid destinies are very much intertwined.

I can see that this could be the reason. It would be no different then the Toledo area of Ohio having numbers rise because we boarder Michigan and only a short distance from there to Canada.

That is exactly what the KY governor did. I believe he announced that once they hit 2.5 million people vaccinated they will take away capacity limits and start allowing concerts and festivals.

More from Michigan, including a less-than-flattering look at my area (the Thumb): https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-h...ine-declines-parts-michigan-even-covid-surges

On the bright side, though, Wayne Co./Detroit hit almost 100K first-doses last week. That's a nice clip for the most populous part of the state, and when you add in the rest of the metro, they're vaccinating close to a quarter million people a week.
Very interesting to see how the county-level demand. Some are clearly gaining interest by almost two-fold, and some are pretty much losing interest in vaccines.

I still contend saying "get the vaccine, but keep doing everything the same" was a mistake from the get go. The vaccine needs to be portrayed very clearly as the key to getting back to normal. And nobody wants to even hint that we can get back to normal.
Not completely disagreeing. But, you do that, and many people will then complain when things can’t get back to normal as quick as they want. I guess that will still reach the objective. How many times people here have complained about certain timelines with restrictions not being met, though.
A timeline with milestones would help I think rather than just a blanket statement of “This is the way to be normal.”

I have 5 employees who are eligible to get the vaccine. None of them scheduled a vaccination until I told them that people who are unvaccinated will continue to wear masks once the mandate is lifted. Being able to work without a mask is a big motivator, especially as it gets warmer.

Initially, I offered them 2 days off for each vaccination and a $500 bonus after they were fully vaccinated and this wasn’t enough of a motivator.

I have 5 employees who are eligible to get the vaccine. None of them scheduled a vaccination until I told them that people who are unvaccinated will continue to wear masks once the mandate is lifted. Being able to work without a mask is a big motivator, especially as it gets warmer.

Initially, I offered them 2 days off for each vaccination and a $500 bonus after they were fully vaccinated and this wasn’t enough of a motivator.

Maybe they think the shot is alien DNA.

This would have been a big motivator for me. I did not get any time off and drove over an hour to get me vaccine in January/February. My kids would have loved that as well. I am surprised that the extra money did not get them to act but not wearing a mask will?? Very interesting.

Not good news at all. All the clinics around here are using J&J and I think they were ramping up to distribute a lot of doses. Not sure if they will all be canceled until this is figured out. I think it's the same issue as AZ vaccine.

Yes, seems to be the same issue as the AZ vaccine. The problem, even when this vaccine is taken off "pause", the negative perceptions will linger and a lot of people won't take it. That's not to say that these types of concerns don't pop up with many new drugs, they do. But we're not all paying attention as closely as we are at this moment in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter